Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission (3334 Views)

Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years [PICTURED] / Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years / Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by martolux(m): 8:04am On Jul 31, 2014
STUDENT GRADUATES, 13 YEARS AFTER ADMISSION

Says ‘Self-fulfi llment is my joy’
Akinola Saburi was 19 years old when he gained admission into Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun State to study a five-year course. But something happened along the line that his stay on campus was prolonged with additional eight years. He recounts his ordeal
When Akinola Saburi was admitted by Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife in 2000, he had no feeling that he would not graduate on a record time.
His course of study, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology, in any Nigerian university is for five years. Though, extension could occur on academic grounds when students have deficiency in one course or another or the school is shut due to students’ unrest or lecturers’ strike, Saburi’s problems were never any of these.
His involvement in campus activism was what held him on campus for additional eight years. All started in 2003 when he was elected as the Secretary General of the students’ union and along the line, he became an acting president of the union when the incumbent president, Akinkunmi Olawoyin, was sick and could not perform his official duties again.
Saburi’s administration was said to be in constant face-off with the school authority on issues bordering on students’ welfare.
The union, according to investigations, always demanded from the authority to put things like accommodation problem, high tuition fee, overcrowded lecture rooms and hostels as well as policies they considered oppressive in the right perspective so as to make their studentship a worthwhile experience.
And at a time when there was no positive response, the students embarked on protests and the management fingered 13 of them as ring leaders including Saburi and consequently expelled them from school.
The students challenged their expulsion at the Federal High Court in Osogbo, Osun State, and the court ordered their reinstatement pending its judgment.
“But when we got back to school, we were advised to plead with the authority to reinstate us fully and this was granted on the condition that we must withdraw the case from the court,” Saburi, from Yewa North Local Government area of Ogun State, recalled.
And after the pardon, according to him, some of them bowed out of unionism but Saburi and a few others did not. “Ï didn’t bow out because I was not comfortable seeing the privileged few using their positions to oppress and truncate the future of younger generation and those coming behind. To do so for me, like other progressives in the society, can make me sick,” Saburi said.
So in 2006, Saburi popularly known on campus as “Malcom X” contested again for the office of the president of the union and one hour to conclude the election and announce the results, the school authority came up with a release circulating round the campus that Saburi was still on suspension.
“The release added that my earlier pardon was not total but commuted to three academic year’s suspension and that if I should be declared winner of the election, the university authority would not recognise me.
The school took this decision to prevent me from becoming the president again because all my mates who bowed out of unionism were left to continue with their studies,” Saburi said.
Expectedly, the students’ union objected to this position, arguing that such explanation was too late since Saburi had already done his course registration, issued a valid student’s identity card and contested the election.
And because the students refused to dance to the tune of the authority, a fresh expulsion order was slammed on him and to enforce this, Saburi was arrested by the officers of the State Security Service (SSS) and arraigned the following day at a magistrate court on a 10-count charge.
“Their major allegation against me was that I was among the students who attempted to kill the Vice-Chancellor during a protest two years back, whereas I wasn’t in school on the day of the said protest,” Saburi claimed.
And because I couldn’t perfect my bail on that day, I was taken to Ilesa Prison where I spent the next eight months.” Saburi left the detention exactly on March 12, 2008 and was at home for one year and one month before he was recalled by the school authority to continue with his studies.
“Ï knew I would be recalled one day since my punishment was politically motivated but I wasn’t sure of when,” he stressed. Saburi was asked to write an apology letter to the authority and provide guarantor letters from a first class traditional ruler, a senior lecturer and a student leader on what they called “his good conduct” before he would be allowed back in school.
Saburi returned in 2010 and he still spent another three years due to the prolonged 2012 nationwide lecturers’ strikes and the students protest on campus. He came out of the university with Second Class Lower, the grade that is considered to be for above average students at OAU.
“I am happy to be graduated eventually while at the same time, I have no regret whatsoever over my actions.
I considered my punishment as a sacrifice for a better tomorrow,” he said. About his parents’ position on the matter, he said though they didn’t influence him whatsoever on his campus unionism’s stand, he still let them know that office of the students’ union president particularly in OAU is highly demanding.
“The exception is when you play along with the school management whether it does it right or not,” Saburi pointed out. “So, my parents were fully aware and they did not object to my stand more so they knew I am a child of unquestionable character.
“Ï did tell them whenever they visited me in detention that over 20,000 OAU students and several thousand others from other institutions stood solidly behind me. And truly their consistent clamouring for my unconditional release and reinstatement facilitated the process.”
In the interim that Saburi was not in school, he didn’t sit at home expecting manna to fall from heaven.
He was engaged in productive activities. “Now, I am a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator and I had also been trained on some entrepreneurial skills,” Saburi, who just returned from India where he went for Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) training, said. On his feeling seeing some of his mates in advantaged positions in the society today, Saburi said.
“Really as a human being, I feel slight pains particularly when you see those riding nice cars and living a bit comfortable; you feel you might be doing better if you had graduated at the same time. This is not about jealousy.
My conviction is that it is not about how far but how well. We have got different paths to tow and what is important is the destination aiming at. Life itself is not about material gains, but about the values you have brought into it. Self fulfillment is my joy.
“I strongly believe that if we have the OAU Ife of my dream, all of us including our children and the yet unborn generations will benefit enormously from it.
What we are enjoying today are the proceeds of some people’s sacrifice in the past.” Now Saburi’s next line action is to settle down, venture into farming and ICT and raise a family.
“I believe with God on my side, I will be great in life and leave good legacy behind,” he concluded
Source: National Mirror

3 Likes

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by sammoe(m): 8:32am On Jul 31, 2014
We need more of his ilk, we all know we do. But how many can pay the price? For how long or far are we willing to stand by them?

Hmmm.
Which way...

2 Likes

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Feranmicharles(m): 9:59am On Jul 31, 2014
Who read that post?

1 Like

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by flolancracker: 10:03am On Jul 31, 2014
The unlucky. The fool. Misplaced priorities.

2 Likes

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Jennydoris(f): 10:08am On Jul 31, 2014
Determination is the father of all success. Am inspired.

5 Likes

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by lyriclekidd(m): 10:21am On Jul 31, 2014
Am still on ma mark. .oau is foolish
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by martolux(m): 10:22am On Jul 31, 2014
flolancracker: The unlucky. The fool. Misplaced priorities.
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by martolux(m): 10:28am On Jul 31, 2014
lyriclekidd: Am still on ma mark. .oau is foolish
and still rated among the top 3 universities in Nigeria? could it be they are building on past glory or NUC is clueless??

1 Like

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by idris4r83(m): 10:47am On Jul 31, 2014
I hail u bro
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Bootybuttchic(f): 10:51am On Jul 31, 2014
nawaooooo....not surprised...,bone d fact he went to prison sef....no be the oau wey we knw,slow past snail,,,ma cousin spent 11years studying medicine undecided .....

dat boy gan carry school matter for him,he think say na india film....at the end of the day no one gives a fvck bout u,most of dose he was fighting for has graduated b4 him....smh

1 Like

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by busuyem: 11:11am On Jul 31, 2014
The title should read: the freedom and emergence of the oppressed.
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Donchinex(m): 11:17am On Jul 31, 2014
He gained admission at 19years, spent 13 years in the university instead of 5. 19+13=32....all in the name of unionism. I'll rather remain the "silent" student I am. This man deserves an award sha #mandela jnr.

10 Likes

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by elguaje(m): 11:25am On Jul 31, 2014
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by lilTunechi(m): 11:55am On Jul 31, 2014
elguaje: .
U see your life ba
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Ariyke: 11:56am On Jul 31, 2014
Only in Oau undecided
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Ksslib(m): 12:05pm On Jul 31, 2014
That is one strong willed man.. He stood for what he believed in, even in the wake of oppression!!

##Respect##

2 Likes

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 31, 2014
I'm yet to see what his unionism achieved for him or the state of his university after his strong head.

3 Likes

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by ednut1(m): 12:56pm On Jul 31, 2014
He shud have faced his book, who will wnt to employ him at 31 for entry level. diaris God sha
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by SpaceGoat: 1:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Bilabong(m): 1:20pm On Jul 31, 2014
Bootybuttchic: nawaooooo....not surprised...,bone d fact he went to prison sef....no be the oau wey we knw,slow past snail,,,ma cousin spent 11years studying medicine undecided .....

dat boy gan carry school matter for him,he think say na india film....at the end of the day no one gives a fvck bout u, most of dose he was fighting for has graduated b4 him ....smh
are all those pple employed? But he has created a good name for himself. If i was in a good position i would have given auto-empoyment and a national honour.
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by dridowu: 1:47pm On Jul 31, 2014
Saburi remind me the great Comrade "Aluta " and "Struggle" of UNIBADAN 1998-2006 . I hope i guess the years right ?
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by pat077: 1:50pm On Jul 31, 2014
he fought 4 what he belive.
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by maestroferddi: 2:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
Don't be surprised if this chap makes it to leadership in the nearest future. He has paid his dues...
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Suarezilla(m): 2:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
The primary aim of his parents sending him to skul was to study his books and a course....not meddle wit polltics! He was not even studying political science which cud hv made sense but somtin dat did nt relate to politics in d 1st place...Such a person can not mentor me on anytin! angry
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Bootybuttchic(f): 2:34pm On Jul 31, 2014
Bilabong:
are all those pple employed? But he has created a good name for himself. If i was in a good position i would have given auto-empoyment and a national honour.
yeah and dats you...but most people who ought to show concern dont care,aftet convocation day,OYO becomes his case,dats aw nigeria is....never try to die for people
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by martolux(m): 2:39pm On Jul 31, 2014
Suarezilla: The primary aim of his parents sending him to skul was to study his books and a course....not meddle wit polltics! He was not even studying political science which cud hv made sense but somtin dat did nt relate to politics in d 1st place...Such a person can not mentor me on anytin! angry
life is not about your policies all the time.. that is why greediness has eaten deeply into us all..we care about ourselves too much.
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Suarezilla(m): 2:46pm On Jul 31, 2014
martolux: life is not about your policies all the time.. that is why greediness has eaten deeply into us all..we care about ourselves too much.
I can't believe u r saying this...did u think abt ur parents aim of giving u an education so as to help dem in d nearest future(if they were poor),did he fink abt his siblings(if he had younger ones)whom he was suppose to also help train up,did he think abt those he ought to be helping now? Pls there is no justification for his act watsoever...If u were his Dad wud u b happy wit such actions frm ur innermost heart?

1 Like

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by NickiRoman: 3:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
Hmmnn
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by EddyNumerouno(m): 3:23pm On Jul 31, 2014
He stood for what he belived in and triumphed in the end. Respect bro, especially as he made good use of his fallow years
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by cirmuell(m): 3:29pm On Jul 31, 2014
ednut1: He shud have faced his book, who will wnt to employ him at 31 for entry level. diaris God sha
you didn't read the write up or didn't understand. He said he's going to settle for farming and ICT. undecided

1 Like

Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Ichel: 3:58pm On Jul 31, 2014
Feranmicharles: Who read that post?
Nobody! Nobody!! Just read d heading n first paragraph, scroll down and place ur comment, n life goes on.
Op, life is too short to read Paul's epistle
Re: Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission by Josephnice: 4:08pm On Jul 31, 2014
may God almighty reward you for such uncommon sacrifice. this cause my tears flowing

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abu Zaria Post Utme Portal Now Working / Unn Post Utme Past Questions Now In Lagos- Total Victory Solution Set[tvss] / List Of Nigerian Universities And Their Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.