Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,564 members, 7,840,332 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies (3321 Views)

You Won't Have Problem With Your Mother In Law If You Follow These Steps / 5 Signs Of Irresponsibility Shown By Men / Fell@tio and cunnil!ngu.s-a Taboo In African Marriages. Where Do We Start? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by delishpot: 1:24pm On Aug 04, 2014
All, this wahala sef.
My advice
society has no right to oppress anybody based on gender if a girl wants to climb mango tree with her brothers do not drag her down and remind her she is a woman. If she wants to do karate with her brothers, leave her alone and guide her or enroll her to learn. Women 99%of the time are made unable to do things because society cautioned them while growing up when they did something physical. They were conditioned to believe they are to be emotional beings, fragile and follow a certain path and if a woman breaks that rule she is considered guy or tomboy etc. And only those who are daring go ahead and do stuff anyway.
Now. Same with boys. A boy in those days will be mocked if he decided to go into hair dressing or tailoring or catering. It was considered a woman's place men were expected to carry cement bags, use their brain and muscle not do simple jobs meant for common women. And so, if a guy breaks this rule, he is considered gay. And only the bold ones who don't care are brave enough to do it anyway.
So marriage. Man is the head of his home. A woman with a bad husband is cursed already cos its like a car with a drunk driver who refuses to accept he is drunk and insists in driving the car.
A wise husband is a blessing, very hard to find. He listens to the counsel of his wife and others around him. He considered the feelings of his wife and children before making any decision. He is kind and loving and firm in his dealings with everyone. To him being the head of his home is a privilege not a right. He understands that his wife is an individual with feelings, expectations and desires. He sees her as his support., his companion, his shelter, his best friend. He feels blessed to be married to her. He is happy with his home. He is kind to his children if he has any and dedicates time to tech them about life. He is always a good listener and takes time to think about things before reacting when it concerns his home. He considers his wife's feeling and moods, he is her strength, her support and shelter.
A wise wife, is one who stands by her man, she knows he takes her seriously, she knows he has her best interest at heart with every decision made in the home. She doesn't feel oppressed or intimidated when he says No. He doesn't say no to her request to prove a point or boost his ego or prove he is a man. She let's him take the lead. She is happy to be is support, his shelter and pride. She tries to sooth his pain, she is warm at all times towards him. They may have arguments but she can't bear to be away from him for a day. She is a good mother, a kind neighbour and a calm listener. Yes it's hard being a woman but a good man deserves what ever effort you are putting to make the home happy too.
I always advice women, learn to be his voice when he can't speak. Learn to let him be the guard, when he is in the mood. Learn to let him be the baby when he is in the mood.
When there is love, this is romance.
Men are kind when they love you. That is why some people believe in love before marriage. While some people not. To me which ever comes first, marriage before love the r love before marriage, there has to be love in that union for every step to be considered romantic. In a loveless union even Goodmorning dear can be irritating to the other partner.
Men can be like babies falling at the feet of the wife for some petting and hair rub and then boom there is a loud noise, he raises up and transforms into a soldier, a fighter pushing his woman back and going forward to see what was that. To protect his home with his life. See? That is a real man.
Now, the problem is men have abused this power or opportunity given to them through the years. They used this privilege to abuse their wives, families used it to sell off daughters to highest bidder, she has no right as a woman, after marriage she becomes a thing, no considerations for her emotional and physical being, it's all about pleasing her man and his family. If she is lucky when he dies she and her kids are given a room in the compound and a small piece of land is given her to grow some food.
Men then realized well, if I give my daughter to opportunity to study, to earn a degree and have equal opportunity to earn a living like my son, she would not be so messed up if the unthinkable happens to me or her husband. So girls started going to school. Men on the other hand did not like the challenge it brought. A common woman now has the mind to challenge him. She can now argue that 2+2is 4, she can now tell him well! God said to submit to you but he also said you should love me like you love your own body. All because now she can read, she can now pick out his flaws and mistakes. Many men do not fancy this part. They still expected women to pretend to be ignorant which I believe is not possible. Why will I agree that black is white when I know it isn't. How can a good normal person expect one to agree to what ever is said even when it's clear he or she is wrong? Who ever expects one to just agree to what ever he says be it good or bad right or wrong is no different from idi amin or sani Abacha. Plus men and women these days don't know how to help for free unlike before. And also people have started abusing the help offered.
Society in those days was not heavily dependent on money. Dibia healed the sick, poor people did not send kids to school, the majority of population did not need to be employed by someone else cos every one farmed to feed himself and family and did not need a degree to do that.
Now it's different, money is the fuel that runs the engine of our existence. Education, medicals, food, shelter, going to work, etc etc. When the government does not provide the basics it's all man for himself.
This is why men are quick to ask for $ex and women are quick to give it. Each one knows what the other wants. Even young boys now offer to satisfy old women for cash.
If men and women can understand the simple equation as it pertains marriage, our homes will be happy.

NB women are free people but if you decide to marry as a woman know that you have a role to play in that marriage too. But the society as a whole should not expect women to link a$$es of men anywhere and every where just because they are women and are second class citizens.

3 Likes

Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by pickabeau1: 1:35pm On Aug 04, 2014
delishpot a long post but i cant get the thrust of your argument

Are you saying that money is the cause of sexism

I like your point on the importance of a caring husband

population did not need to be employed by someone else cos every one farmed to feed himself and family and did not need a degree to do that.
Now it's different, money is the fuel that runs the engine of our existence. Education, medicals, food, shelter, going to work, etc etc. When the government does not provide the basics it's all man for himself.
This is why men are quick to ask for $ex and women are quick to give it. Each one knows what the other wants. Even young boys now offer to satisfy old women for cash.
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by delishpot: 1:41pm On Aug 04, 2014
pickabeau1: delishpot a long post but i cant get the thrust of your argument

Are you saying that money is the cause of sexism

I like your point on the importance of a caring husband

WWell not money per Se. But property, wealth, income. Be it sheep, cattle, army, war heads, weapons, etcland etc. Who ever has it has power over who ever doesn't have.
So it's same all aspect of life. From gender, to cultures, to slavery.

I was not fixed on the topic as a whole. I was just giving my view as it pertains how I believe the society should work. Esp marriage and also giving what is messing our society these days.
No mind me. Just read and nodd at the part you like and ignore my off topic parts.

Just delishpot's lamentation. This Nsobu Uwa Don confuse me. I am tired seeing how this sweet world is becoming evil and full of deaths, disease and pain. I Don tire.

But o, the original post wasn't talking about $exiism per Se. It was talking about how men should act and how women should act abi Na expected to act in the society and home abi?
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 04, 2014
Phema: Its amazing how one word (feminism) keeps some men awake at night and causes them chronic indigestion, while "real men" are busy with their lives without a care in the world about some word and having the best of marriages.

The irony of life. . . Hehehehehehe cheesy

*continues sipping my hot tea*

I love this comment, I would only replace the phrase "real man" by successful man. wink

3 Likes

Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by pickabeau1: 1:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
Thats good

You made a lot of points i accept though some are not totally factual now

I see girls learning karate now and they seem to enjoy it
More ladies are taking self defense classes

I agree with you on the fact that he who pays the piper dictates the tune.. especially on racial issues

The world is what it is...a lot of vices.. immorality, indiscriminate abortions, embezzlement and misappropriation of public funds, terrorist deaths... theres a very interesting thread on campus prostitution..

May God keep us

Note : this is not limited to Nigeria only... globally there are issues...

delishpot:

WWell not money per Se. But property, wealth, income. Be it sheep, cattle, army, war heads, weapons, etcland etc. Who ever has it has power over who ever doesn't have.
So it's same all aspect of life. From gender, to cultures, to slavery.

I was not fixed on the topic as a whole. I was just giving my view as it pertains how I believe the society should work. Esp marriage and also giving what is messing our society these days.
No mind me. Just read and nodd at the part you like and ignore my off topic parts.

Just delishpot's lamentation. This Nsobu Uwa Don confuse me. I am tired seeing how this sweet world is becoming evil and full of deaths, disease and pain. I Don tire.
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 04, 2014
SAMBARRY: speak for yourself please, thank you tongue

Don't mind them. You no even see the user name. It should tell you something. Fear any username with names like, pretty, se xy, chick etc. Most of them are males, the others are dumb fellows who have nothing in their head but where their next mtn 400 naira will come from.

At toppic, I dont even know what the poster is saying. The end sef na waya

4 Likes

Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chillisauce:

Don't mind them. You no even see the user name. It should tell you something.Fear any username with names like, pretty, se xy, chick etc. Most of them are males, the others are dumb fellows who has nothing in their head but where their next mtn 400 naira will come from.

At toppic, I dont even know what the poster is saying. The end sef na waya

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by delishpot: 2:02pm On Aug 04, 2014
pickabeau1: Thats good

You made a lot of points i accept though some are not totally factual now

I see girls learning karate now and they seem to enjoy it
More ladies are taking self defense classes

I agree with you on the fact that he who pays the piper dictates the tune.. especially on racial issues

The world is what it is...a lot of vices.. immorality, indiscriminate abortions, embezzlement and misappropriation of public funds, terrorist deaths... theres a very interesting thread on campus prostitution..

May God keep us

Note : this is not limited to Nigeria only... globally there are issues...

You are right. Women and men do things that back in the day they would not have been encouraged to do, from heading countries and corporations, to applying makeup and even outright gender change. And of course I know it's a global issue that's why I said it's sad when I see all the evils happening in the sweet world.
Nna mehn make Jesus do come sef make we rest. 2000years Don do humanity to make a decision and choose which path to tread.

Amen to your prayer jare. I watched some stuff on YouTube last night and it still getting at me. Chie I too sensitive OOo.

1 Like

Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin
how are you?
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by pickabeau1: 2:07pm On Aug 04, 2014
What did you see on Youtube

I believe that its a matter of time

Fathers train their daughters to be the best these days

delishpot:

You are right. Women and men do things that back in the day they would not have been encouraged to do, from heading countries and corporations, to applying makeup and even outright gender change. And of course I know it's a global issue that's why I said it's sad when I see all the evils happening in the sweet world.
Nna mehn make Jesus do come sef make we rest. 2000years Don do humanity to make a decision and choose which path to tread.

Amen to your prayer jare. I watched some stuff on YouTube last night and it still getting at me. Chief I too sensitive OOo.
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chillisauce:

grin grin
how are you?

I am fine. I hope you are good too dear? kiss kiss

I have just been pondering about the "etc" in your post and I came up with many more examples but I will keep them to myself for now grin
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I am fine. I hope you are good too dear? kiss kiss

I have just been pondering about the "etc" in your post and I came up with many more examples but I will keep them to myself for now grin

Pls don't keep it to yourself . Your name is carefree so I expect you to lay it bare.
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by maclatunji: 2:16pm On Aug 04, 2014
OP, are you American in any way? Your opening post has "American" written all over it.

I empathise with women a great deal but I think a lot of you are missing your way in the attempt to correct the ills of many men. You do not have to overgeneralise or deny that that there is a masculine and feminine identity attached to men and women. This does not mean that all men are thugs or that all women are smiling/blushing Sheilas (sorry if your name is Sheila) but the identities exist nontheless. And your adding the homosexual angle to it is just not helping within the Nigerian context.

Please check the dictionary for the definition of a gentleman and a lady. Is there a difference? Why?
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by delishpot: 2:16pm On Aug 04, 2014
pickabeau1: What did you see on Youtube

I believe that its a matter of time

Fathers train their daughters to be the best these days

Watching videos about end time stuff. Saw corpses of kids. From Gaza to Rwanda and all those bombs and starvation. Not any particular one Sha. All in all the world is lacking kind and sympathetic people slowly. Was reading about a video that a gypsy couple were trapped in flood. People were recording it with cell phones and laughing and giggling while the two struggled for their lives. One guy jumped in to help but couldn't do it alone he had to give up and save himself. The rest were just filming till the two drowned and then they said ah, they are gone. Where are they? Hian, have we gone so low that we no more have instinct to save lives? I heard in India people hardly stop to help those in dire need. I am happy naija has not reached that stage Sha. But slowly we may get there. On one post here on naira land where they showed 8 people crucified by Moslem extremists one guy actually said cool! His reason? People die everyday so it's no big deal. That is how evil our hearts are becoming. No sympathy, no feelings.
They are quick to spit on the corpse of a dead baby talk less of an adult that offends them.

2 Likes

Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by pickabeau1: 2:20pm On Aug 04, 2014
Yes.. I agree with you 100%

Our narcisstic-obsessed personality where we elevate self above others.

Really sad

Gaza is really sad

Anti immigration riots in Europe

Xenophobia

Its sad

delishpot:

Watching videos about end time stuff. Saw corpses of kids. From Gaza to Rwanda and all those bombs and starvation. Not any particular one Sha. All in all the world is lacking kind and sympathetic people slowly. Was reading about a video that a gypsy couple were trapped in flood. People were recording it with cell phones and laughing and giggling while the two struggled for their lives. One guy jumped in to help but couldn't do it alone he had to give up and save himself. The rest were just filming till the two drowned and then they said ah, they are gone. Where are they? Hian, have we gone so low that we no more have instinct to save lives? I heard in India people hardly stop to help those in dire need. I am happy naija has not reached that stage Sha. But slowly we may get there. On one forum where they showed 8 people crucified by Moslem extremists one guy actually said cool! His reason? People die everyday so it's no big deal. That is how evil our hearts are becoming. No sympathy, no feelings.
They are quick to spit on the corpse of a dead baby talk less of an adult that offends them.
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chillisauce:

Pls don't keep it to yourself . Your name is carefree so I expect you to lay it bare.

You are wicked. grin grin grin

I will lay it bare when the right time comes. Just a hint for now, some of them begin with B / b .... cool
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You are wicked. grin grin grin

I will lay it bare when the right time comes. Just a hint for now, some of them begin with B / b .... cool

Beeevan, no!
Bellong

That's all I can think of. And both of them are correct fellas.

Pls don't keep me waiting grin

Say it. Say it.
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chillisauce:

Beeevan, no!
Bellong

Say it. Say it.

You are even more wicked than expected. I wasn't referring to the two you mentioned. Try harder tongue
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I love this comment, I would only replace the phrase "real man" by successful man. wink
so the mantra is no more real men but successful men? Shifting goal post grin
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You are even more wicked than expected. I wasn't referring to the two you mentioned. Try harder tongue

don't mind that real man. All he and his ilk do is strample on their fellow man just to impress real men searchers.
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
eighTHREAD: so the mantra is no more real men but successful men? Shifting goal post grin

What does "no more real men" mean? Have I ever subscribed to this "mantra"?
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

What does "no more real men" mean? Have I ever subscribed to this "mantra"?

your body language does grin
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
eighTHREAD: your body language does grin

And they say ALL men are logical beings undecided

2 Likes

Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I can't think of any again. I wait on you then when you're ready.
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by crackhaus: 4:05pm On Aug 04, 2014
Olivia111: Our sexual identity is largely shaped by what we
learned in slavery. Christianity and the entire
concept that a woman was created for a man
HEAVILY dictates the perceptions of what an african
relationship is supposed to be about. African
women still hold on to very strict, very limiting,
indeed very detrimental beliefs about what it
means to be a “real” African man and their
expectations thereof.
All too often, Black women want to use their supposed “gay dar” to identify any man who isn’t hyper-masculine. They make
up the most absurd, most childish things, things
that have nothing whatsoever to do with a
person’s sexual preference, to call out men who
aren’t “real men”. Black women hold men to this
ideal and have no tolerance for any deviation of
the sort, quick to emasculate them if they show a
tiny sign of vulnerability. They end up in
relationships with men who are emotionally
immature, men who are “hard”, who are not really
men but boys in the bodies of adult males and
then they cry and moan that there are no real
men and lament about the frustrations of a
relationship with someone totally incapable of
being committed and partnered.
They are the same women who are MOST apt to want the traits
in men who are the most detrimental to a healthy
relationship. They want a man who is hyper
masculine, who will pay all the bills and provide
unlimited access to funds with no strings
attached, who will blow their back out in bed, etc.

Men who identify their manhood by rap songs,
movies, and video games are immature. Men who
are obsessed with money will not share it freely,
and men who are addicted to sex will cheat on
you faster than you can blink an eye.
I tried my best to make sense of this, believe me I tried.

Please come again for my benefit.. I've been real slow all day grin

2 Likes

Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

And they say ALL men are logical beings undecided
prove me illogical, that's far better than insinuating.
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
eighTHREAD: prove me illogical, that's far better than insinuating.

Can you see me?
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chillisauce:

I can't think of any again. I wait on you then when you're ready.

baby, babe, sweetbabe, prettybabe, s.ex.ybabe grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

baby, babe, sweetbabe, prettybabe, s.ex.ybabe grin grin grin
Yah. Those too .

1 Like

Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by beeevan: 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chillisauce:

Beeevan, no!
Bellong

That's all I can think of. And both of them are correct fellas
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by beeevan: 7:11pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chillisauce:

Beeevan, no!
Bellong

Say it. Say it.

Chilli pepper anything for the girls? How you dey dear?
Re: My Problem With The Respect Shown To Men In African Societies by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 04, 2014
beeevan:

Chilli pepper anything for the girls? How you dey dear?

Yo yo. Nothing dear. I was just looking for all the username that starts with B.

How your squat exe going?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Am Presently In A Dilemma / My Wife Denied Me From Having S*x Since I Lost My Job Nigerian Man Cries / My Wife Was Delivered Of A Healthy Baby Boy, But....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.