Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,297 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Logos - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Logos (2121 Views)

Rhema And Logos / John 1:1 - LOGOS and THEOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Logos by swegiedon(m): 12:24pm On Feb 19, 2019
@ PastorAIO, Do you hint that this "Higher Faculty" is the Logos?.
Re: Logos by LordReed(m): 1:33pm On Feb 19, 2019
swegiedon:

You seem to think @PastorAIO is Christian.

Not really, I think he has religion. The religious tend to be dogmatic.
Re: Logos by PastorAIO: 1:51pm On Apr 08, 2019
swegiedon:
@ PastorAIO, Do you hint that this "Higher Faculty" is the Logos?.

This is a really good question. The answer to be frank is quite inarticulate in my mind.

At which point is the perception separate from the object of perception. Is this 'higher'/'other' faculty the means by which we perceive the Logos or is it the Logos itself?

Also, is the Logos within you your True Self or is it just something that guides you?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Logos by PastorAIO: 1:54pm On Apr 08, 2019
LordReed:

Not really, I think he has religion. The religious tend to be dogmatic.

Indeed I have religion. I don't play when it comes to religion.

However it is a key dogma of my religion that no Belief is incontrovertible. So you could say that I'm Super-dogmatic. i.e I take a position above dogmas.
Re: Logos by PastorAIO: 2:28pm On Apr 08, 2019
swegiedon:

You mean, we can transcend the principle of "cause and effect'',that one reaps that which he sows? How is it possible to break the chain of, "our previous actions affecting our future"?.

Mind to elaborate?.

Causal thinking leads us to believe that every event is the product of previous events.

However we do not know every previous event.

So therefore if we look at the present event we suppose it to be caused by Known Facts that have occurred previously. (by fact I mean an event that has occurred in the past). However what about all the Unknown Facts? Perhaps they had influence on the present situation but we cannot see how because we don't even know those Facts happened.

How about if the past was not rigid but quite amorphous? IE Those Unknown Facts are not definite events that have definitely already occurred, but rather they are possibilities. Then if a Super temporal Will were to dictate a future event what will happen is that we might later discover previously unknown Facts that 'cause' the dictated event.

e.g A man sows wheat in a field and according to Karma should expect to reap wheat in a few months time. He knows he sowed wheat.
What he doesn't know is that his neighbour for whatever reason went into the field at night and sowed barley. Furthermore, the weather over the next few months was such that it favoured the growth of Barley and not of Wheat. and even worse there was an epidemic of a fungi that attacked Wheat but had not effect on Barley.
His son who would rather have planted Barley than Wheat prays every day to reap a wonderful harvest of Barley. Come harvest time they return to the fields and find nothing by Barley growing in the field. The son says, 'hallelujah my prayers have been answered'. The man himself is gobsmacked because he didn't understand how he could plant Wheat and reap Barley.

What we know can only tell us what is LIKELY to happen. We cannot take into account what we do not know. However what we do not know can have a greater effect on the outcome of events than what we do know. Therefore we cannot actually accurately make a prognosis on the basis of Cause and Effect as we cannot totally grasp every apparent Cause that comes to bear on an event.

In my example, was Barley reaped because of the Son's prayers or was it reaped due to a series of unpredictable coincidences. It is my belief that the Ultimate cause of an event is the Diktat of a divine being, and when that occurs it brings into manifestation a confluence of apparent Causes in the Temporal realm.
The reality that we cannot know or grasp every influence that brings about a situation (due to our being limited to a perspective) allows plenty of room for us to later 'discover' previously unconsidered influences.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Logos by PastorAIO: 2:35pm On Apr 08, 2019
swegiedon:

You mean, we can transcend the principle of "cause and effect'',that one reaps that which he sows? How is it possible to break the chain of, "our previous actions affecting our future"?.

Mind to elaborate?.

Are we a product of our circumstances, or is there an essential aspect of us that remains true regardless of circumstance?

If there is an innate character regardless of circumstance then do we act according to how our circumstance dictates or do we act according to our inner character. Most people act based on a limited view of their circumstance and not from their True Being, in my humble opinion. Once you can find True Self Knowledge then you can begin to act without regard for your blinkered perception of your circumstances.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Logos by LordReed(m): 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2019
PastorAIO:

Indeed I have religion. I don't play when it comes to religion.

However it is a key dogma of my religion that no Belief is incontrovertible. So you could say that I'm Super-dogmatic. i.e I take a position above dogmas.

Hmmm, interesting. So in practice what does it translate to? Are you unchanging with regards to the acquisition of new information or do you modify your positions as you learn new things?
Re: Logos by budaatum: 4:29pm On Apr 08, 2019
LoJ, ThothHermes, I think in this thread, Pastor has moved us closer to answering our Holy Spirit question.
Re: Logos by budaatum: 4:44pm On Apr 08, 2019
PastorAIO:

I do indeed watch out for these ‘a bit more or a bit less’. And that is precisely why I do not present these doctrines as Christian doctrines while I note that on a superficial level Christianity seems to be parodying it.
It must also be why you don't take the "adopted concepts ...given new meaning" as all the meanings, and instead strip off the ‘a bit more or a bit less’ so you can clearly see what exists. And you then bother to spit on mud and rub it in our eyes so that we too can see!

Thanks immensely PastorAIO! buda appreciates your existence.
Re: Logos by PastorAIO: 5:55pm On Apr 08, 2019
LordReed:

Hmmm, interesting. So in practice what does it translate to? Are you unchanging with regards to the acquisition of new information or do you modify your positions as you learn new things?

Your question is answered here:

PastorAIO:
If facts are not Truth, and if our knowledge is not Truth but a perspective biased formulation then how can be go about discovering and applying the truth in our lives.

I think that while our various concepts and ideas cannot be the Truth itself, they can have varying compatibility to the Truth.

An ideology that is compatible with the Truth can persist for a while and be supported by the Truth.

Therefore, all our theories and ideologies should really be seen as working hypotheses.
They should be adhered to for as long as they seem to work and discarded once they are found to no longer be effective.

A free man should not be a slave of any ideology.

All my doctrine are not to be treated as dogma but rather as Working Hypotheses.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Logos by LordReed(m): 6:08pm On Apr 08, 2019
PastorAIO:

Your question is answered here:

All my doctrine are not to be treated as dogma but rather as Working Hypotheses.

Refreshing. Thank you!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

God Is Not A Name Rather His Name Is Jesus "the Christ" / Bomb Shell: How Paul Distorted Christianity (pt 1) / Why? Why? Why? Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.