Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation (67376 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Meet Tomtato – A Plant That Grows Tomatoes Above Ground And Potatoes Below (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 9:15pm On Oct 29, 2014
drake2:

Great topic, many thanks for sharing. Please how does d potting mixture get moisture?

Do you mean while its still attached?

If so, don't worry abt that.

Plants also "breathe"

Just follow ∂ instructions.

Make it tight.
After some days it will collect moisture by itself.

Try it, and see how easy it is. *Smiling*

Edited:

Adding water if you attempt this during the dry season is not a bad idea.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by drake2(m): 9:17pm On Oct 29, 2014
irukandji89:

Do you mean while its still attached?

If so, don't worry abt that.

Plants also "breathe"

Just follow ∂ instructions.

Make it tight.
After some days it will collect moisture by itself.

Try it, and see how easy it is. *Smiling*

kkk. Thanks
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 9:36pm On Oct 29, 2014
drake2:

kkk. Thanks

Post pictures if you can
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:02am On Oct 30, 2014
Beedee777:

Hi.

Thank you so much for this post! God bless your heart!

Can this be combined with grafting? If not, what are the practical pros and cons of both practices? In your experience, which trumps the other?

As you also stated here, my farm is in Ogun state and I will delighted to get your telephone number for further talks.

Thank you so very much!

According to wikipedia, a marcot seedling of dika tree takes 2-4 years to flower, while it is said that planting from seeds takes 15 years.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 5:27pm On Nov 25, 2014
hello peeps.

how have you been?

sorry I have been awol for a while.

I went to Songhai farms in Porto novo for a training.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 5:31pm On Nov 25, 2014
a reader of this thread once told me he/she wanted to start a bitter leaf (ewuro) plantation.

instead of looking for seedlings to buy, I present a method of propagation by cuttings

it works well on resilient plants like bitter leaf, jatropha, moringa, and many more ......

my Friend, Christophe, from Benin republic will take us through the process.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 5:36pm On Nov 25, 2014
first of all .....

we make the nursery bed .....

a hoe is the tool used here .....

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 5:39pm On Nov 25, 2014
next ,

.... we get stems from a healthy looking parent plant and cut as many as we want to make (this also depends on how much stem the plant owner allows you to cut grin )

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 5:48pm On Nov 25, 2014
then, we start placing the stems in an orderly pattern on the bed, in a slanting position as shown.

please, note the top part of the stem you are about to plant.

you will know this by checking any node on it.

a node is a part of a stem where leaves come out from.

if a stem is upright, the node and the leaf will face upward.

it is the cut part below that will be buried.

you know, nutrients from the soil come from the roots from down upwards.

so the cut part below will definitely be older that the part above.

that is where roots will form from.

also, make sure you plant the stem in such a way that the cut part at the bottom faces the ground and not upwards.

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 5:51pm On Nov 25, 2014
after planting the stems, we water them. the watering will continue every morning and evening till the time of transplant.

water lightly!

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 5:55pm On Nov 25, 2014
then we apply mulch to keep humidity at an optimal level.

use dried plaintain or banana leaves or dried elephant grass.

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 5:56pm On Nov 25, 2014
then we wait ......
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 6:28pm On Nov 25, 2014
after about 2 weeks, you will notice this ...... grin

you will still need to wait a while longer to make the roots develop.

you can sacrifice one to check if roots have formed by removing the soil from it.

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by dgitrader(m): 4:14pm On Jan 13, 2016
irukandji89:
after about 2 weeks, you will notice this ...... grin

you will still need to wait a while longer to make the roots develop.

you can sacrifice one to check if roots have formed by removing the soil from it.

nice one OP. I used this same method on moringa trees and got excellent results. the moringa stems where about 2 feet ea h. in less than a year they started flowering.

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Walexz02(m): 11:12pm On Jan 15, 2016
Welcome back bro..... I missed your thread

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by nbolaji(m): 12:02am On Jan 16, 2016
Bravo.. @Op i guess this can work for moringa @AIR LAYERING

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by hotmas911(m): 10:03pm On Jan 21, 2016
Can't believe I haven't seen this thread all this while. One of the best thread ever on agric section.

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by gaussy(m): 7:44am On Jan 22, 2016
Nice thread

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 3:24pm On Jan 22, 2016
After many trials and failures, I finally succeeded in air-layering shaddock.

Now I can have many true to type plants. grin

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 3:32pm On Jan 22, 2016
Let's post pictures of our attempts and results.

So we can share methods.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 3:34pm On Jan 22, 2016
Next plant .....

Jatropha smiley
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Newway2(m): 6:57pm On Jan 22, 2016
Which plant is Shaddock? What is the local name? Is it a fruit plant?

irukandji89:
After many trials and failures, I finally succeeded in air-layering shaddock.

Now I can have many true to type plants. grin
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 7:41pm On Jan 22, 2016
Newway2:
Which plant is Shaddock? What is the local name? Is it a fruit plant?

Shaddock is of Citrus family like grapes, oranges and lemons.

It's that big sweet grape that is red inside
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Newway2(m): 9:24pm On Jan 22, 2016
Wonderful! Does it also come in (yellow) normal grapes colour? Am asking this because when I was a youth, I came across a very sweet grape in the village where my Dad used to own a farm. I hv never come across such sweet grape again since.

With this knowledge, I may hv to go & get some cutting of the sweet grape tree & air-layer it.

Meanwhile, can u sell this Shaddock seedling?

irukandji89:

Shaddock is of Citrus family like grapes, oranges and lemons.

It's that big sweet grape that is red inside
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 6:13am On Jan 23, 2016
Newway2:
Wonderful! Does it also come in (yellow) normal grapes colour? Am asking this because when I was a youth, I came across a very sweet grape in the village where my Dad used to own a farm. I hv never come across such sweet grape again since.

With this knowledge, I may hv to go & get some cutting of the sweet grape tree & air-layer it.

Meanwhile, can u sell this Shaddock seedling?

Yes, it also has a yellow specie. The botanical name is Citrus maxima. And in some parts of the world its called pomelo.

I intend to sell my seedlings.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 6:20am On Jan 23, 2016
You can propagate the tree and make more seedlings out if it before it dies.

Do it now while you can.

Don't procrastinate.

You want your new plant to be matured around the time (or even earlier) the parent plant will be showing signs of old age.

I'm guessing your parent plant is old by now.

You will also be happy if you attempt this while the parent plant still has branches close to the ground.

Stretching your hands up or using a stand to reach branches can be a hassle.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Newway2(m): 7:52am On Jan 23, 2016
I will definitely be buying from u. This method of propagation will make it faster for the plant to start fruiting.

I wil also go back to where I planted a specie of sweet seedless tangerine to get some cuttings.

irukandji89:

Yes, it also has a yellow specie. The botanical name is Citrus maxima. And in some parts of the world its called pomelo.

I intend to sell my seedlings.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 10:55am On Feb 25, 2016
irukandji89:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
You have just propagated a new plant by the method of Marcotting / Air Layering. Easy, right?
Sir,can this be applicable to mango trees?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by wumss: 12:18pm On Feb 25, 2016
Will this system work with cocoa and other cash crops?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by EternalYouth(m): 3:38pm On Feb 25, 2016
Dear op, please contact me on gb_olaifa@yahoo.co.uk. Many Thanks.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Ovamboland(m): 4:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
Can this method be applied to cashew plantation?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:47am On Feb 27, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Sir,can this be applicable to mango trees?

Of course!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Big Python I Killed In My Farm Today And What Has Become Of It. / Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) / The Puff Adder My Workers Killed On My Yam Farm (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.