Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,294 members, 7,811,882 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation (67373 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Meet Tomtato – A Plant That Grows Tomatoes Above Ground And Potatoes Below (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by mrinsurer: 7:47am On Mar 28, 2016
I will like to propagate Sweet Uha tree, Opioro Mango,Tangerine and lemon..I will like to buy the seedlings from you if you have.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:48am On Mar 29, 2016
mrinsurer:
I will like to propagate Sweet Uha tree, Opioro Mango,Tangerine and lemon..I will like to buy the seedlings from you if you have.

If you have access to the trees mentioned why not give it a try first?

Just follow the instructions on the thread.

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:54am On Mar 29, 2016
NnamdiN:
how long do the cut branches stay alive "assuming one is transporting them from one location to another" ??

For the selling part, how much do they sell for when they flower ??

The idea is to cut them off from the parent plant when their roots are formed.

So since they have a new source for nutrients (roots) they can survive for a long time.

Just put them in a potting bag and water to make more roots form or transplant when you are ready to do so immediately.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:55am On Mar 29, 2016
Greenex:
pls do i av to water it during the process

No .

Just moisten the soil before wrapping up the part of the branch you cut.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:57am On Mar 29, 2016
NnamdiN:
how long do the cut branches stay alive "assuming one is transporting them from one location to another" ??

For the selling part, how much do they sell for when they flower ??

For the selling part, you will have to ask from places like NIHORT for prices of each seedling of each plant.

Then I would suggest you make your price affordable.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:59am On Mar 29, 2016
Newway2:
I saw this & tot I shld share it here.........

MATURE MANGO PLANT iN POTS

Urban farming enthusiasts, and especially those living in rented spaces, can dabble in fruit farming after the introduction of potted miniature mango plants by prominent orchard manager, Henry M’Tiiri.

Mr. M’Tiiri, whose nursery is in Meru County, but supplies seedlings to all of East Africa, is selling ready-to-fruit mango plants, that come in neat pots, and which can easily sit in the doorsteps of apartments.

“The trees serve as ornamental plants, but also yield sweet mangoes,” M’Tiiri told Farmbiz Africa...............

http://www.farmbizafrica.com/news/meru-farmer-selling-mature-mango-plants-in-small-pots

Can we achieve this here?

If we can get the seeds or seedlings or fresh cuttings, anything is possible.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 2:24pm On May 08, 2016
Marcotting is also possible on ornamental plants like these.

1 Share

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 2:28pm On May 08, 2016
I'm moving into my low cost house built with laterite bricks soon.

I have just half a plot and little space for planting all the fruit plants I would have loved to have.

But I have decided to go for these.

Potting them for the time being.

Behind are lemon seedlings for a customer.

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 2:32pm On May 08, 2016
from right to left:

orange, hybrid cashew, grape, shaddock, cocoa, local cashew, irvinea garvonensis (ogbono)

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 2:34pm On May 08, 2016
Trials on the following plants are in progress:

Pictures will follow soon.

Soursop, jatropha, guava,
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 09, 2016
You got mail sir,as I look forward to hear from you. What's the maturity and fruiting age for the hybrid cashew?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 12:27pm On May 12, 2016
IHate9ja1:
You got mail sir,as I look forward to hear from you.
What's the maturity and fruiting age for the hybrid cashew?

The hybrid cashew starts to fruit around year 3 and matures around year 7.

By that time it will be fruiting with reckless abandon.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 12:37pm On May 12, 2016
Marcotting on soursop.

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 12:39pm On May 12, 2016
My shaddock parent plant

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 12, 2016
irukandji89:

The hybrid cashew starts to fruit around year 3 and matures around year 7.

By that time it will be fruiting with reckless abandon.

Nice one but am not impressed @ the price of cashew nuts price per ton,although its a good investment. Or is there anything you know that am ignorant of? How many kgs/hectare of cashew nuts?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 3:46pm On May 14, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Nice one but am not impressed @ the price of cashew nuts price per ton,although its a good investment. Or is there anything you know that am ignorant of? How many kgs/hectare of cashew nuts?

To be honest I don't know much about profit prospects of cashew.

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by onyeogalu1(m): 9:23pm On May 14, 2016
irukandji89:
from right to left:

orange, hybrid cashew, grape, shaddock, cocoa, local cashew, irvinea garvonensis (ogbono)

Please which of the grapes are you about? Is it grape that is use for wine production or grapes that looks like orange?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Mattin(m): 10:48pm On May 14, 2016
FarmTech:

Just want to add that growing trees from seed will give u a healthy plantation that will yield more and last longer. Other means may give u fast result but if u want sth that last long, start from the seed.
Marcoting is a good idea though, esp for plants with short life.

Is this true?
Why will plants from marcotting have short life?
Does it mean the plant I got form marcotting will not last their normal period?
Why won't the plants from marcotting last longer?
Why will the plant from seedling last longer than the marcotting plant?
Irukandji89, please share more light into this...
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 4:10pm On May 15, 2016
Mattin:

Is this true?
Why will plants from marcotting have short life?
Does it mean the plant I got form marcotting will not last their normal period?
Why won't the plants from marcotting last longer?
Why will the plant from seedling last longer than the marcotting plant?
Irukandji89, please share more light into this...

If you follow my posts you will notice that I always mention some plants that I know have been tested and proven to do well with marcotting method of propagation.

Its not adviceable to plant Some trees like citrus and mostly herbaceous fruit trees from seeds if you are planting on a large scale.

Herbaceous trees are trees with woody stems.
So definitely marcotting will not work for all types of plants.

For example, marcotting will not work on a plant like coconut or oil palm.

Some herbaceous plants also do well when planted by seed. So marcotting may not be necessary for a plant like almond if you are growing almond for its timber and not it's fruits. Or teak.

For you to consider propagation by marcotting, you are trying to avoid some cons which come with planting by seed:

Firstly,
It takes a relatively long time for it to fruit and for it to reach full maturity.

Take orange, for instance

Planting an orange tree from seed will take about ten or more years for it to fruit.

And when it does, it may produce an unfavourable variety like the rough or bitter specie.

Think about planting an hectare of orange trees by seed sowing, waiting all those years, only to get bitter varieties.

Planting by seed lasts longer really, but saying that planting by marcotting will also not last long is being vague without stating reasons.

An orange planted by seed sowing will last for about 50 or more years.

A marcotted orange tree will last for around 40 or more years, so it's a matter of little difference.

And for a person starting a plantation, definitely plans will be in place for a replanting scheme when fruit yields start to decline.

So ... In conclusion, seed planting is not advisable for all plants and it's not also accurate to generalize that all plants will benefit your purpose of planting if you plant by seed.

Which sounds economical?

Planting 100 trees by marcotting, they start fruiting in around 4 years and you enjoy them for the next 40 or so years before they start to decline ( making sure you take good agronomic care of them like application of fertiliser yearly)

Or

Planting same number of trees by seed, waiting for at least 10 years (a huge leap of faith that will be) and then finding out that the fruits are bitter or have no juice in them ( that's how they got those oranges with no juice by the way)

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 4:10pm On May 15, 2016
onyeogalu1:

Please which of the grapes are you about? Is it grape that is use for wine production or grapes that looks like orange?

Citrus grape
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by onyeogalu1(m): 8:05pm On May 15, 2016
irukandji89:

Citrus grape

Ok
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by RealAdewole(m): 6:39am On May 16, 2016
Nigeria school education system is not only didactic but also too bookish. What I've learnt in the last hrs is more than a 5unit course

3 Likes

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 7:32am On May 16, 2016
Another concern people have against marcotting system of propagation is that, because the plant is not propagated by seed, it has no root ball and tap root system, hence it may not have perfect anchorage.

Anchorage in this context means that it will not stand firmly on the ground and is prone to fall when there is strong wind.

That is unlikely to happen when you have many plants on the plantation that will be serving as wind breaks.

And besides, trees like coconut and oil palm also don't have tap root systems but we don't see them falling anyhow now do we.

By not having a tap root system and having a fibrous root system, a marcotted plant hence will be able to maximise the utilisation of water around its vicinity.

And with more roots being developed brings about more anchorage.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Pavore9: 9:06am On May 16, 2016
RealAdewole:
Nigeria school education system is not only didactic but also too bookish. What I've learnt in the last hrs is more than a 5unit course

The rate our school system sprout innovation is very low! We have several Faculties and Colleges of Agriculture but have so little to show for it. angry

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Mattin(m): 9:38pm On May 18, 2016
irukandji89:

If you follow my posts you will notice that I always mention some plants that I know have been tested and proven to do well with marcotting method of propagation.

Its not adviceable to plant Some trees like citrus and mostly herbaceous fruit trees from seeds if you are planting on a large scale.

Herbaceous trees are trees with woody stems.
So definitely marcotting will not work for all types of plants.

For example, marcotting will not work on a plant like coconut or oil palm.

Some herbaceous plants also do well when planted by seed. So marcotting may not be necessary for a plant like almond if you are growing almond for its timber and not it's fruits. Or teak.

For you to consider propagation by marcotting, you are trying to avoid some cons which come with planting by seed:

Firstly,
It takes a relatively long time for it to fruit and for it to reach full maturity.

Take orange, for instance

Planting an orange tree from seed will take about ten or more years for it to fruit.

And when it does, it may produce an unfavourable variety like the rough or bitter specie.

Think about planting an hectare of orange trees by seed sowing, waiting all those years, only to get bitter varieties.

Planting by seed lasts longer really, but saying that planting by marcotting will also not last long is being vague without stating reasons.

An orange planted by seed sowing will last for about 50 or more years.

A marcotted orange tree will last for around 40 or more years, so it's a matter of little difference.

And for a person starting a plantation, definitely plans will be in place for a replanting scheme when fruit yields start to decline.

So ... In conclusion, seed planting is not advisable for all plants and it's not also accurate to generalize that all plants will benefit your purpose of planting if you plant by seed.

Which sounds economical?

Planting 100 trees by marcotting, they start fruiting in around 4 years and you enjoy them for the next 40 or so years before they start to decline ( making sure you take good agronomic care of them like application of fertiliser yearly)

Or

Planting same number of trees by seed, waiting for at least 10 years (a huge leap of faith that will be) and then finding out that the fruits are bitter or have no juice in them ( that's how they got those oranges with no juice by the way)

Thank so much for the lecture and enlightenment.
I appreciate sir.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 19, 2016
irukandji89:
Another concern people have against marcotting system of propagation is that, because the plant is not propagated by seed, it has no root ball and tap root system, hence it may not have perfect anchorage.

Anchorage in this context means that it will not stand firmly on the ground and is prone to fall when there is strong wind.

That is unlikely to happen when you have many plants on the plantation that will be serving as wind breaks.

And besides, trees like coconut and oil palm also don't have tap root systems but we don't see them falling anyhow now do we.

By not having a tap root system and having a fibrous root system, a marcotted plant hence will be able to maximise the utilisation of water around its vicinity.

And with more roots being developed brings about more anchorage.

Sir how much does your marcott hybrid cashew seedlings goes for?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 1:50pm On May 19, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Sir how much does your marcott hybrid cashew seedlings goes for?

I don't have in stock for now.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 03, 2016
irukandji89:

I don't have in stock for now.
how have you been sir?
Would my planted mango seeds need wetting during dry season or the current rain would carry them through?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 11:57am On Jun 05, 2016
IHate9ja1:

how have you been sir?
Would my planted mango seeds need wetting during dry season or the current rain would carry them through?

The current rain will be OK.
But water them if rain doesn't fall in a week.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 05, 2016
irukandji89:

The current rain will be OK.
But water them if rain doesn't fall in a week.
the rain is quite regular back home from my dads reports but am asking if it would be neccessary to wet then during dry season? Or can they survive the heat
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 4:01pm On Jun 05, 2016
IHate9ja1:

the rain is quite regular back home from my dads reports but am asking if it would be neccessary to wet then during dry season? Or can they survive the heat

Yes it's necessary. Their roots will still be short and won't quite be established yet. Pls wet them during the dry season.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Big Python I Killed In My Farm Today And What Has Become Of It. / Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) / The Puff Adder My Workers Killed On My Yam Farm (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.