Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,497 members, 7,954,901 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:07 PM

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? (36955 Views)

Kano State ASUU Chairman Cant Speak Good English! / Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? / Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by SirAlfred(m): 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2014
Read novels and speak out
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Gynacologist(m): 7:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
ITbomb:
I was thinking you would tell me
searchin fo results tatz y am askin?
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Asher79: 7:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
Well, I think you already have the answers you were looking for. But permit me to add a few tips to some of the reasonable suggestions made here. 1. If your English will come good, you have to metaphorically strap on some error-sieving earpiece. This is because our socio-linguistic environment discourages the use of and improvement on good English. Sloppy use of English words is very prevalent in Nigeria. The moment you code-switch to good English, a lot of folks begin to hate on you and even boldly tell you to your face that 'u dey blow plenty grammar,' or 'u dey fonè'. 2. You have to try as much as you can to live in the Nigerian socio-linguistic culture as though you were not. In other words, you have to be firm, consistent and even defiant in your use of good English. But don't sound highfalutin (Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon is an example you must not copy). The beauty of language lies more in simplicity than in the use of 'fancy words'. The overuse of 'fancy words' may land you in grammatical hot waters. And you don't want to sound unEnglish. 3. Never compromise the use of good English, no matter what! Stick to the standard usage. Last but not the least, with all due respect to you, English grammar does not permit errors such as double use of comparatives, e.g. 'more easier,' 'more better,' nor the use of double superlatives, e.g. 'most happiest,' 'most richest'. It is rather 'much easier,' 'much better' and just simply 'the happiest' and 'the richest'. Stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by epospiky(m): 7:16pm On Aug 04, 2014
Get yourself a small book to write down new words, you come across everyday, and their meanings. Watch foreign movies, hollywood movies to be specific and get yourself used to watching nice tv programs. Try as much as you can to speak good english no matter how horrible it may seem. Above all, do not forget to make use of the new words when need arises.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 04, 2014
We wey sabi speak but to write na problem nko? angry

Very annoying, upon all the English I dey speak, I still get C6(narrow escape) for O'Level. The thing tire me shaaa.

I think practice makes perfect, I only speak pidgin/igbo when very necessary...and that should be for old peeps that I feel don't understand English - but if you are young, forget it...get ready for my English.

I also avoid too much grammar, simplicity is the key, I read a lot of Hadley Chase novels because its expression in simple English makes me happy.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by AdeniyiA(m): 7:30pm On Aug 04, 2014
which one be bad bad English? if i speak wetin i know tell me say u no understand undecided

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Capableben(m): 7:48pm On Aug 04, 2014
Asher79: Well, I think you already have the answers you were looking for. But permit me to add a few tips to some of the reasonable suggestions made here. 1. If your English will come good, you have to metaphorically strap on some error-sieving earpiece. This is because our socio-linguistic environment discourages the use of and improvement on good English. Sloppy use of English words is very prevalent in Nigeria. The moment you code-switch to good English, a lot of folks begin to hate on you and even boldly tell you to your face that 'u dey blow plenty grammar,' or 'u dey fonè'. 2. You have to try as much as you can to live in the Nigerian socio-linguistic culture as though you were not. In other words, you have to be firm, consistent and even defiant in your use of good English. But don't sound highfalutin (Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon is an example you must not copy). The beauty of language lies more in simplicity than in the use of 'fancy words'. The overuse of 'fancy words' may land you in grammatical hot waters. And you don't want to sound unEnglish. 3. Never compromise the use of good English, no matter what! Stick to the standard usage. Last but not the least, with all due respect to you, English grammar does not permit errors such as double use of comparatives, e.g. 'more easier,' 'more better,' nor the use of double superlatives, e.g. 'most happiest,' 'most richest'. It is rather 'much easier,' 'much better' and just simply 'the happiest' and 'the richest'. Stay blessed.
Asher, u know what? U just made my day. it couldnt have been better. Thank u, can I follow u?
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by tonychristopher: 7:50pm On Aug 04, 2014
queensenglish91:
*father's

father's is not what I meant ...I meant fathers which is plural and I know what I meant ....

I think you should differentiate between literary meaning from contextual meaning

thank you
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by cronsberg: 7:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
Watch BBC news, BBC news, and more BBC news. Then watch alot of Skynews(God knows i used to love the debates in the british parliament during Tony blairs' time. Tony blair and Jack Straw debating is a spectacle to watch). Also watch a lot of documentaries as it broadens your mind.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Capableben(m): 7:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
I am so elated, this piece got to the FP, now I am sure many more pple will learn and not myself only.. I don't believe in personal aggrandizement.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by ITbomb(m): 7:56pm On Aug 04, 2014
Gynacologist: searchin fo results tatz y am askin?
Oh a Gynacologist, sorry bro, you have been searching for the results in the 'wrongest' places grin grin grin
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by rexibity(m): 7:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
I speak well, yes!...I write well, yes! yes!!
1 of my strengths, I would say is writing, Using good command of English- in any situation...not blowing my trumpet though!
For me, I watch Talk shows, Read the dailies and listen to audio books.
but I stil got C6 and C5 in Waec n Neco resp.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
Well, as for me, i'd say good foundation goes a long way in determinin how proficient your english is. Then again, consistent practice helps too, e.g. Wide reading (novels, textbooks, journals, newspapers and magazines etc. read everything you come across), watch western movies (preferably british), and then try as much as possible to learn a few words everyday, try to use some of these words in your next conversation, and lastly, move with people who understand and speak good english, this also very important. Try these steps and within the next

2 Likes

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by HARDUBUY(m): 8:26pm On Aug 04, 2014
Consistent Reading and listening of all types of literary articles..... inconjunction with frequent practice, makes impeccable speech.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Yifesy87(m): 8:28pm On Aug 04, 2014
ITbomb: Weed, son, good quality early morning weed and the grammar would flow

This had me cracked my ribs-- would like to know what specie of weed sir and how do one distinguish the good from the bad quality for a non smoker grin grin grin
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 04, 2014
Capableben: Hitherto, I have always admired people that speak good English- on T.v, films, neighborhood, and some friends.Even here on nairaland , we have a good number of people that write English as though they were related to Queen Elizabeth.
I recently discovered that its much more easier for me writing English than speaking it impeccably. What should one do to speak English authoritatively and impeccably
OP, just follow me and your English would improve naturally.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by doeying(m): 8:32pm On Aug 04, 2014
MadCow1: 1. Read alot of Best Seller Novels.

2. Stop watching Nigerian Movies. #StopIt!

3. Watch more American Movies, preferably British movies (cos the Americans speak horrible english especially the Blacks).

4. Stop writing in short texts.. E.g: hw r u? It affects your spelling ability.

5. STop speaking Pidgin English entirely.

#word#....am telling you ...with these steps, people might refer to you as an "ajebutter" but its the way forward....
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by tundabolt(m): 8:42pm On Aug 04, 2014
It's simple, sorround yourself with good english speakers
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 04, 2014
doeying:

#word#....am telling you ...with these steps, people might refer to you as an "ajebutter" but its the way forward....
Yes. Nigerian movies suck. They speak non-standard English. Even pronunciations are so confusing sometimes. Nothing to write home about.

Bird, pronounced as bed is really out of order.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by eduxerxes: 9:09pm On Aug 04, 2014
Cartoons Bro......watch dozens of cartoons. Not toy cartoons oh! Watch the likes of samurai X, Dragon balls etc...concentrate on their pronounciations and fluency while noting their choice of words and grammar! I'm very good at English today cos of my education + cartoons. #My_secret

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by darqly(m): 9:17pm On Aug 04, 2014
Kimmo:

Read! Read often.
Don't learn the big words. They'll come later. Read, read, read! You can start with the African Writers Series, Chinua Achebe, Cyprian Ekwensi etc. Simple grammar, classy diction, interesting reading too!

You can't go wrong starting with Chinua or Cyprian, and the big words will definitely come later. Read aloud to practice pronunciation especially when you come across New words.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 04, 2014
read books, learn new words, stay away 4rm frndz dat only interact usin pidgin english, don't try 2 mak use of word because u heard som1 use it(omo dis na 4rm xperience) u'll only end up sayin sum kind of meaninlex junk, except u search 4 d meanin of d word.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by bumeks(f): 9:32pm On Aug 04, 2014
Watch a lot of mexican films
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2014

see likes plenty men dey gbegbe for here....
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by DSuperWoman(f): 9:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
True talk my brother very true Nigerian film can mess your grammer without you realising it. Stop it. Although these types they show in the cinimas nowadays are ok. Well gromed actors n acteresses are feautured in tthem so they are ok but all these local movies pls dnt watch
MadCow1:

2. Stop watching Nigerian Movies. #StopIt!

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by odeku457(m): 10:02pm On Aug 04, 2014

I see you Jare.... grin grin grin grin
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by queensenglish91: 10:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
tonychristopher:

father's is not what I meant ...I meant fathers which is plural and I know what I meant ....

I think you should differentiate between literary meaning from contextual meaning

thank you
If you meant plural, then it should be-> fathers'
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by tonychristopher: 10:16pm On Aug 04, 2014
queensenglish91:
If you meant plural, then it should be-> fathers'

pls can somebody just tell me the plural of father

I am getting my nerves up here with an "English man" from Kent
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by queensenglish91: 10:29pm On Aug 04, 2014
tonychristopher:

pls can somebody just tell me the plural of father

I am getting my nerves up here with an "English man" from Kent

The plural of 'father' is 'fathers'. However, when ascribing ownership to a noun (singular or plural), the apostrophe must be used.
If the noun is singular, the apostrophe comes just before the final 's'. If it's plural, it comes just after.

Example 1: My doctor's phone is cool.
Example 2: Doctors' salaries have not been paid

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by aspiliqueta(m): 10:36pm On Aug 04, 2014
how did you get it so easily
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Capableben(m): 10:57pm On Aug 04, 2014
Joenice: OP, just follow me and your English would improve naturally.
How would that come to past? delineate your strategies pls...
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by mkoabiola: 10:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
Listen to hollywood movies

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How I Landed A World Scholarship With A 3.8 C.G.P.A / Lady With Severe Autism Who Can't Speak Graduates (Photos) / Dr. & Dr. (Mrs) Oviosun: Nigerian Man And His Wife Bag PhD Same Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.