Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,431 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. (48275 Views)

Good News! First Ebola Patient Discharged In Lagos / Ebola Patient Final Pictures Before Dying (viewer's Discretion) / No Ebola Patient Died In Abuja - Says Doctor Who Treated Suspected Patient! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by skimarvel: 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
WARNING:Anybody with his or her name ending with ''EBOLA'' should not like or quote me ever again on nairaland...Na God i take beg una ooo...before we know it them go talk say the disease dey spread with just having contact with such people...Here is a list of those names
1.Ad'EBOLA'
2.OY'EBOLA'
3.D'EBOLA' etc.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Suresh08: 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
are people this jobless?
please leave this "Ebola talk" alone
I'm tired of seeing "Ebola" everywhere...
stop this nuisance abeg

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Ekans: 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hmmmmmm! Ebola no de take prisoners oooo.I still believe it was clinically made by the whites.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
All we want is how it will contained, please.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Simplefaithy(m): 3:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
White007: Ebola is a frightening, highly lethal virus — in the current outbreak in West Africa, about 60 percent of people infected with the pathogen have died. Although in the minority, some people do recover from infection.

Doctors don't know for certain who will survive Ebola, and there is no specific treatment or cure for the disease. But studies suggest there are some biological markers linked with a higher chance of surviving Ebola, experts say.

When a person becomes infected with Ebola, the virus depletes the body's immune cells, which defend against infection, said Derek Gatherer, a bioinformatics researcher at Lancaster University in the United Kingdom, who studies viral genetics and evolution. In particular, the Ebola virus depletes immune cells called CD4 and CD8 T lymphocytes, which are crucial to the function of the immune system, Gatherer said. [5 Things You Should Know About Ebola]

But if a person's immune system can stand up to this initial attack — meaning their immune cells are not as depleted in the first stages of infection — then studies suggest they are more likely to survive the disease.

"The patients that survive it best are the ones who don't get such a bad [immune] deficiency," Gatherer told Live Science.

But if the body is not able to fend off this attack, then the immune system becomes less able to regulate itself, Gatherer said. This means the immune system is more likely to run out of control and release a "storm" of inflammatory molecules, which cause tiny blood vessels to burst, leading in turn to a drop in blood pressure, multi-organ failure and eventually death.

The current Ebola outbreak — which is in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia — has infected at least 1,603 people, including 887 who have died, according to the World Health Organization, making it the largest outbreak in history.

Another marker linked with people's ability to survive Ebola is a gene called human leukocyte antigen-B, which makes a protein that is important in the immune system. A 2007 study found that people with certain versions of this gene, called B*07 and B*14, were more likely to survive Ebola, while people with other versions, called B*67 and B*15, were more likely to die.

Finally, some people may be resistant to Ebola infection entirely, if they have a mutation in a gene called NPC1. Studies show that, when researchers take cells from people with the NPC1 mutation and try to infect them with Ebola in a laboratory dish, these cells are resistant to the virus.

In European populations, about 1 in 300 to 1 in 400 people have this mutation, Gatherer said. But in some populations, this mutation is more common: in Nova Scotia, between 10 and 26 percent of people have this mutation, Gatherer said. But the frequency of this mutation in African populations is not known, he said.

However, because these studies on Ebola resistance were done in a lab, it's not known for certain if carriers of the NPC1 are truly resistant to Ebola.

Gatherer said that, hopefully, samples are being collected in the current outbreak so that researchers can conduct studies to better understand the virus and how to survive it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-survive-ebola-233906237.html
. Yeeeaaaaa, I make am finally. Thanks OP
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 06, 2014
BrAkingNews: may God delivers us from evil diseases. My family and I are protected IJN

You do some prayer....and then you post links to dirty pictures.

Are you a real Christian.....or a Sunday-Sunday Christian?

Repent!

3 Likes

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by BrAkingNews: 3:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
bushdoc9919:

You do some prayer....and then you post links to dirty pictures.

Are you a real Christian.....or a Sunday-Sunday Christian?

Repent!
Thank God you are not God. You will have reserved HELL for me before I even die, huhhhhh?
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by halimattt(f): 3:29pm On Aug 06, 2014
This ebola disease is getting out of hand.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Moredew(m): 3:29pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hmmm NPC nd all dis abreviations . Well dats science. Bt wait o wht does our own scientists do in their lab.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 06, 2014
BrAkingNews: Thank God you are not God. You will have reserved HELL for me before I even die, huhhhhh?

As the Bible says....let your speech be seasoned with salt.

I am not sending you to hell....I am asking you to post links to pictures that Glorify God.(if you really serve Him).

Now ask yourself if Jesus would have linked to the dirt you posted on this thread just now.

And I advise you read the book In His Steps.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
barcanista: How did you manage to beat me to FTC position angry ?
JAMB Question!
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Moredew(m): 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hmmm NPC nd all dis abreviations . Well dats science. Bt wait o wht does our own scientists do in their lab. My good frnds tanx for being with me all dis while. This username will be dormant for a very long time. If u follow me, pls carry ur followership to MORNDEW. Thats d username dat will be active from now on. Love u all pls always seek knowledge.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ebola dis ebola that! Nawao! Hope all this fizzles out b4 Xmas. I wouldn't want to celebrate XMAS with Ebola around.smiley
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by BrAkingNews: 3:35pm On Aug 06, 2014
bushdoc9919:

As the Bible says....let your speech be seasoned with salt.

I am not sending you to hell....I am asking you to post links to pictures that Glorify God.(if you really serve Him).

Now ask yourself if Jesus would have linked to the dirt you posted on this thread just now.

And I advise you read the book In His Steps.
thank you for the advise, but give me another job first
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by cocoduck: 3:37pm On Aug 06, 2014
one of The symptoms of this illness is vomiting and diorhea when you vomit and stool to a good twenty four hours without adequately replenishing the lost water it leads directly to dehydration which is very fatal. your body looses a lot of water in the process. just like cholera. when you the check well you will Find out that it is mostly fatal in remote villages and in urban areas where there is a heavy lack of portable drinking water. why is it that the people in africa die like flies while the one who was taken to America is responding well to treatment forget about that so called secret serum and this gene nonsense

2 Likes

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 06, 2014
Because some immune systems can effectively combat the virus.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by logica(m): 3:40pm On Aug 06, 2014
If the mechanism is similar to how HIV turns into AIDS, then they should consider drugs used for HIV.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 06, 2014
BrAkingNews: thank you for the advise, but give me another job first

You need to go home and rethink your Christian beliefs.

Because....you really are not ready to trust God....because deep down you think that God will let you down if you leave your current line of work.

You can run a website....just post edifying things....things that glorify God....and God will honor you if you make him your no 1.

There was a man that my parents knew. Was making money from abortions. Then he repented....and gave up his abortions and became a water hawker. God honored him....now he is a big business man.

Whatever you think.....dirty pics and Christ do not go together.

I leave you with this verse....

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Philippians 4 vs 8

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2014
Sijioke: If you have Ebola.. Go to Nigeria market. Our local common herbs will cure it..bleep to those who wants to spoil the image of our herbs. #OUR HERBS,OUR PRIDE.
You must be crazy to suggest this.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 06, 2014
logica: If the mechanism is similar to how HIV turns into AIDS, then they should consider drugs used for HIV.

Well....AIDS is the tail end of HIV infection....what happens when HIV has wrecked the body'simmune system completely (if the infected was not taking drugs).

As for new drug treatment....there is a experimental drug which may prevent HIV from integrating with the cell''s DNA.(Integrases).
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by logica(m): 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well....AIDS is the tail end of HIV infection....what happens when HIV has wrecked the body'simmune system completely (if the infected was not taking drugs).

As for new drug treatment....there is a experimental drug which may prevent HIV from integrating with the cell''s DNA.(Integrases).

Yes. I am sure you read where they said Ebola also works by destroying the immune system.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by GlorifiedTunde(m): 4:00pm On Aug 06, 2014
I take the Holy Communion, only what survives in the blood of Jesus can survive in me angry
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 06, 2014
logica: Yes. I am sure you read where they said Ebola also works by destroying the immune system.

It most certainly does.

Endothelial cells, mononuclear phagocytes, and hepatocytes are the main targets of infection. After infection, a secreted glycoprotein (sGP) known as the Ebola virus glycoprotein (GP) is synthesized. Ebola replication overwhelms protein synthesis of infected cells and host immune defenses. The GP forms a trimeric complex, which binds the virus to the endothelial cells lining the interior surface of blood vessels. The sGP forms a dimeric protein that interferes with the signaling of neutrophils, a type of white blood cell, which allows the virus to evade the immune system by inhibiting early steps of neutrophil activation. These white blood cells also serve as carriers to transport the virus throughout the entire body to places such as the lymph nodes, liver, lungs, and spleen.[42]

The presence of viral particles and cell damage resulting from budding causes the release of cytokines (to be specific, TNF-α, IL-6, IL-8, etc.), which are the signaling molecules for fever and inflammation. The cytopathic effect, from infection in the endothelial cells, results in a loss of vascular integrity. This loss in vascular integrity is furthered with synthesis of GP, which reduces specific integrins responsible for cell adhesion to the inter-cellular structure, and damage to the liver, which leads to coagulopathy

Endothelial cells....line your blood vessels. Once Ebola damages them...bleeding results!

Hepatocytes...liver cells...produce clotting factors.Once gone....bleeding results! Also your hepatocytes store energy in form of glycogen...and produce immune factors...so once gone....you are weak and exposed so to speak.

mononuclear phagocytes...deal with bacteria...once gone...your body is exposed to all sorts of bacterial infections( in viral diseases,it is the opportunistic infections that kill,more than the virus.).

But if your cell is defective in the NPC-1 receptor....Ebola cannot touch you (and your T cells will clear it out).!

2 Likes

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by BodyKiss(m): 4:06pm On Aug 06, 2014
BrAkingNews: may God delivers us from evil diseases. My family and I are protected IJN

Singer Maheeda oozes s3xiness in new racy photos
>>> http://www./entertainment/maheeda-oozes-s3xiness-in-new-racy-photos/

Calling God, promoting p0rn at the same time. Keep deceiving yourself. DOndi

4 Likes

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Lucasbalo(m): 4:13pm On Aug 06, 2014
cocoduck: one of The symptoms of this illness is vomiting and diorhea when you vomit and stool to a good twenty four hours without adequately replenishing the lost water it leads directly to dehydration which is very fatal. your body looses a lot of water in the process. just like cholera. when you the check well you will Find out that it is mostly fatal in remote villages and in urban areas where there is a heavy lack of portable drinking water. why is it that the people in africa die like flies while the one who was taken to America is responding well to treatment forget about that so called secret serum and this gene nonsense
Good points. The two people evacuated to Emory Hospital are doing well because the hospital is one of four in the US that is expecially built to handle contagious diseases like Ebola and their isolation units is nearly perfect with all the necessary life saving machines that monitor body organs. This machines are not in this Ebola afflicted countries. That makes a lot of difference.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 4:13pm On Aug 06, 2014
MyPWisINCORRECT: No wonder this morning I take bus say make I go hustle for Allen Avenue despite my catarrh...

As I sneeve once, heeeshian! Three people hala "driver owaa oh!!"

As I sneeve again, hhheeeheeeheeehehhshian!! Other Passengers including Driver and Conductor follow disappear leave me alone for bus...

I begin wida na!!
oh boy u sure say na Catarrh dey worry so?? Just ackin Ni ooo
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by jones9ice: 4:17pm On Aug 06, 2014
MyPWisINCORRECT: No wonder this morning I take bus say make I go hustle for Allen Avenue despite my catarrh...

As I sneeve once, heeeshian! Three people hala "driver owaa oh!!"

As I sneeve again, hhheeeheeeheeehehhshian!! Other Passengers including Driver and Conductor follow disappear leave me alone for bus...

I begin wida na!!

You bi werey
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by zurine(f): 4:18pm On Aug 06, 2014
hmm
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by ViewNigeria(m): 4:25pm On Aug 06, 2014

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 06, 2014
GlorifiedTunde: I take the Holy Communion, only what survives in the blood of Jesus can survive in me angry
LOL. You people... grin grin . Even your pastor that preached this to you is afraid.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Who Returned From India In January Dies Of Coronavirus Disease In Lagos / Doctors To Embark On Nationwide Strike Over NUC’s PhD Directive / Coronavirus: Dr. Amarachukwu Karen Allison Who Suspected Index Case In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.