Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,567 members, 7,820,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. (48278 Views)

Good News! First Ebola Patient Discharged In Lagos / Ebola Patient Final Pictures Before Dying (viewer's Discretion) / No Ebola Patient Died In Abuja - Says Doctor Who Treated Suspected Patient! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 07, 2014
everybody don be doctor base on ebolo givin us different fake fake stories hmmm God knows best
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by whytepawn1(m): 3:07pm On Aug 07, 2014
[quote author=bushdoc9919][/quote]if you choose to believe everything you hear or read about... thats your problem. secondly you should know by now that election in Nigeria is not won on the day of election . our policians are bunch of thieves and rogues who care only about their pockets.Nothing short of a revolution will change the face of governance in this country.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 07, 2014
whytepawn1: if you choose to believe everything you hear or read about... thats your problem. secondly you should know by now that election in Nigeria is not won by election. our policians are bunch of thieves and rogues who care only about their pockets.Nothing short of a revolution will change the face of governance in this country.

Your problem is that you know nothing about viruses or immunology. Absolutely nothing.

And you people don't need a revolution,just a change of mindset.

I repeat....no one has a cure for Ebola yet...and the serum ....it is too early to say if it works, and how well it works.(Previous studies with a similar serum in animals showed that it had no effect on survival...it merely delayed death).

Plus...the two Americans signed consent forms before they got the serum....so that if the drug reacts badly....the company won't be liable.

And i guess it is because we Nigerians are too lazy to get up and change things....or once we get into power....we share the kudi....that is why things are in a mess.

Laziness has got to go.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by whytepawn1(m): 3:47pm On Aug 07, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Your problem is that you know nothing about viruses or immunology. Absolutely nothing.

And you people don't need a revolution,just a change of mindset.

I repeat....no one has a cure for Ebola yet...and the serum ....it is too early to say if it works, and how well it works.(Previous studies with a similar serum in animals showed that it had no effect on survival...it merely delayed death).

Plus...the two Americans signed consent forms before they got the serum....so that if the drug reacts badly....the company won't be liable.

And i guess it is because we Nigerians are too lazy to get up and change things....or once we get into power....we share the kudi....that is why things are in a mess.

Laziness has got to go.

I see .....professor of virology.. what else could absolutely go wrong when the said patients are on the verge of death. spare me the trash about consent forms and disclaimer appended by recipients of the serum. all am saying is that most atimes things don't always appear as they seem. I still have my reservations about the whole issue. coming back to Nigeria, you should forward your comments to the leaders and rulers and not Me it's easy enough talking but up there at the corridors of power, it's just another day Of doing what they know how to do best.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by chillykelly86(m): 7:02pm On Aug 07, 2014
Best option for Lagos would have been not to let this in in the first place.
But now its in already, I am afraid it may take an enforced city-wide shutdown to contain. No work, school, etc except essential services for about 3 weeks. When you consider how compact Lagos is: its transportation systems, population, markets, etc, you will understand where I am coming from.
May God help us.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by bamite(m): 10:20am On Aug 08, 2014
Tholudee: not funny undecided
re u tryin 2b funny?sad
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by ezehr(m): 3:24pm On Aug 08, 2014
bushdoc9919: Excellent article....very good.

Here is some detailed scientific reasons ....based on a study done in Gabon....repeated in this paper

Also, humans with cells that are defective in Niemman-Pick receptors (NPC-1) are resistiant to ebola..as this study says..

. Lovely post. Research is the way forward. With these findings, Humans will soon win the war over ebola because the vaccine is imminient.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 09, 2014
bushdoc9919:

i saw the above and have to ask: which one of the thousand infected Africans who got infected wouldnt sign the consent (if there was a tiny chance of success)?

funny how suddenly, because two US doctors got infected, then human trials should go forward.......... but just on these two, while thousands of African subjects could also benefit from these human trials.

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by chillykelly86(m): 8:27pm On Aug 09, 2014
whytepawn1: I see .....professor of virology.. what else could absolutely go wrong when the said patients are on the verge of death. spare me the trash about consent forms and disclaimer appended by recipients of the serum. all am saying is that most atimes things don't always appear as they seem. I still have my reservations about the whole issue. coming back to Nigeria, you should forward your comments to the leaders and rulers and not Me it's easy enough talking but up there at the corridors of power, it's just another day Of doing what they know how to do best.
Not everyone who contracts the Ebola virus dies eventually; some do survive it. So, testing positive to the virus is not a death sentence of sort.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by whytepawn1(m): 8:39pm On Aug 09, 2014
chillykelly86:
Not everyone who contracts the Ebola virus dies eventually; some do survive it. So, testing positive to the virus is not a death sentence of sort.
.true.... but following the high mortality rate of those infected, no sane person will reject the chance of having a potential cure been tried on him.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by whytepawn1(m): 8:44pm On Aug 09, 2014
MRbrownJAY:

i saw the above and have to ask: which one of the thousand infected Africans who got infected wouldnt sign the consent (if there was a tiny chance of success)?

funny how suddenly, because two US doctors got infected, then human trials should go forward.......... but just on these two, while thousands of African subjects could also benefit from these human trials.
yes same line of thought. I think bushdoc9919 should respond to this. I smell conspiracy here, until proven otherwise I stand firm on my opinion.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 09, 2014
MRbrownJAY:

whytepawn1: yes same line of thought. I think bushdoc9919 should respond to this. I smell conspiracy here, until proven otherwise I stand firm on my opinion.

Who dares awaken me from my thousand year sleep angry angry angry angry angry !

On a more serious note....of course the Americans wish to act in their own interests....why should they help us?(This is where I promptly intone that we Africans have refused to follow the Japanese and Chinese....whom the Americans hate...and invest in education and research and public health....otherwise we would have had cures to Ebola a long time ago. But it makes me sound like a broken record).

Actually, previous research with similar serums in animals ended up delaying the inevitable...the animals died. And even the Americans hesitated....it is a serum derived from animals....and one thing about such drugs is that they can produce a serious immune reaction in people who take them(Like a type 4 immune reaction....which may take several months to show up). Plus ....it may not work. The history of drug research is full of drugs that worked in animal models....but failed when it was time for human tests.(And aren't you glad it was them Americans they tested it on? What if it had a bad reaction.....and it was black people they tested it on? You chaps will be singing a different tune....but I digress).Finally...the serum was administered to the monkeys two days after infection.....and the Americans had been infected for weeks..And there are only 9 vials...and it takes a long time to make one vial (And if we are to select the 9 out of hundreds of Africans that are infected....how do we draw up the selection critieria? Maybe we draw lots?).

One other thing....you guys have no idea of the ethics of drug development. (I do....I wrote a paper on it while doing my master's thesis in public health ages ago). Long and short....you just don't give a untested drug to humans just like that (That's why our American friends signed consent forms...so that if they die thanks to the serum...their families won;t come raging after the company with that American of traditions...the class action lawsuit). Add the fact that NOTHING is known of the long term effect of the serum on humans. Allwe know is that it cured monkeys....and that for now it is helping the Americans. But we do not know what would happen one year...two years...three years later. For all weknow...at that time the infected Americans could just drop dead from a severe immune related sickness...(at which time the three of us would just be thankful that they did not give us Africans).

(One important bit of info....the Male American got an additional infusion of sera from a black African kid he treated....who survived....so we Africans may be contributing our bit to the cure!Note that that'show they used to treat measles patients back in the good old days...inject sera from a chappie who surivied)

I am going to end by knocking your conspiracy things(Gosh...you do sound like a real hikkimori!) The reason why many Africans are dying of EBola is because we have refused to invest in our research institutions,our universities, our scientists, our power supply,and our public health system. Instead...we take the money and share it. So,why won't we be helpless in front of EBola? We have neglected our defences. I am really sorry you two and many others cannot see this....and prefer to blame American for your shortcomings. Honestly....America is not that powerful (and even if they discover a cure for EBola...WHO will force them to reduce the price....just as happened for HIV drugs...that are now free of charge in Nigeria). Infact, I am going to sound like a parent here....and tell you people to get up and solve your problems.....and stop playing blame games.It only makes the situation worse.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 09, 2014
bushdoc9919

when you say WE Africans, who exactly are you inferring to? just because most African leader only think about filling up their bloody pockets, does not mean that we all are the same way. also, a country who has extensive extra money to invest in such (thanks to their advance states thanks to years of oppression and looting of other people's wealth with no impunity) cannot be compared to a country who is still struggling to give access to clean water (or 24hr electricity) to its people. we cannot compare the US or any 1st world countries with 50 something yr old countries such as Nigeria.

Chinese and Japanese have the ressources because their leader think of the COUNTRY before themselves. stop comparing dogs with horses.

Who cares how long/much it takes to do these serums? is that even the issue here?! lol....the issue is very simple: if there was a serum present in west Africa then why was it not given to dying people? why did they have to wait for a US citizen to get infected before they brought it out and gave it to the docs?

again, if there are "ethics" in drug development then these US docs should have NEVER gotten these unproven drugs....if it was ok to try it on them, then it should be ok to try them on some poor Africans too. they would have signed that BS consent form too.

we want to contribute in the proper way, not simply to save 2 US docs while gazillions African were dying previously.

again, how can Africans invest in research institutions/universities/scientists etc when A) we have BIGGER problems and priorities than that and B) leaders prefer to get the money in their pockets instead?

there are 2 issues here.....FIRST yes our leaders got to go, and should be shot ON SIGHT!!!!!! and SECOND there is something very wrong with this Ebola of a thing. btw Africans were dying and nobody was lifting a finger, now the disease is getting to their doorsteps and suddenly its a problem?! ahahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by whytepawn1(m): 9:39pm On Aug 09, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Who dares awaken me from my thousand year sleep angry angry angry angry angry !

On a more serious note....of course the Americans wish to act in their own interests....why should they help us?(This is where I promptly intone that we Africans have refused to follow the Japanese and Chinese....whom the Americans hate...and invest in education and research and public health....otherwise we would have had cures to Ebola a long time ago. But it makes me sound like a broken record).

Actually, previous research with similar serums in animals ended up delaying the inevitable...the animals died. And even the Americans hesitated....it is a serum derived from animals....and one thing about such drugs is that they can produce a serious immune reaction in people who take them(Like a type 4 immune reaction....which may take several months to show up). Plus ....it may not work. The history of drug research is full of drugs that worked in animal models....but failed when it was time for human tests.(And aren't you glad it was them Americans they tested it on? What if it had a bad reaction.....and it was black people they tested it on? You chaps will be singing a different tune....but I digress).Finally...the serum was administered to the monkeys two days after infection.....and the Americans had been infected for weeks..And there are only 9 vials...and it takes a long time to make one vial (And if we are to select the 9 out of hundreds of Africans that are infected....how do we draw up the selection critieria? Maybe we draw lots?).

One other thing....you guys have no idea of the ethics of drug development. (I do....I wrote a paper on it while doing my master's thesis in public health ages ago). Long and short....you just don't give a untested drug to humans just like that (That's why our American friends signed consent forms...so that if they die thanks to the serum...their families won;t come raging after the company with that American of traditions...the class action lawsuit). Add the fact that NOTHING is known of the long term effect of the serum on humans. Allwe know is that it cured monkeys....and that for now it is helping the Americans. But we do not know what would happen one year...two years...three years later. For all weknow...at that time the infected Americans could just drop dead from a severe immune related sickness...(at which time the three of us would just be thankful that they did not give us Africans).

(One important bit of info....the Male American got an additional infusion of sera from a black African kid he treated....who survived....so we Africans may be contributing our bit to the cure!Note that that'show they used to treat measles patients back in the good old days...inject sera from a chappie who surivied)

I am going to end by knocking your conspiracy things(Gosh...you do sound like a real hikkimori!) The reason why many Africans are dying of EBola is because we have refused to invest in our research institutions,our universities, our scientists, our power supply,and our public health system. Instead...we take the money and share it. So,why won't we be helpless in front of EBola? We have neglected our defences. I am really sorry you two and many others cannot see this....and prefer to blame American for your shortcomings. Honestly....America is not that powerful (and even if they discover a cure for EBola...WHO will force them to reduce the price....just as happened for HIV drugs...that are now free of charge in Nigeria). Infact, I am going to sound like a parent here....and tell you people to get up and solve your problems.....and stop playing blame games.It only makes the situation worse.
while your points seem rather compelling. I take exception to your blatant insult of my personality. if you can't make your points without using rather degrading terms,I see no reason to take you seriously. for the records, its spelt "hikikomori " Mr know all.

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 10:55pm On Aug 09, 2014
MRbrownJAY: bushdoc9919

when you say WE Africans, who exactly are you inferring to? just because most African leader only think about filling up their bloody pockets, does not mean that we all are the same way. also, a country who has extensive extra money to invest in such (thanks to their advance states thanks to years of oppression and looting of other people's wealth with no impunity) cannot be compared to a country who is still struggling to give access to clean water (or 24hr electricity) to its people. we cannot compare the US or any 1st world countries with 50 something yr old countries such as Nigeria.

Yes,they loot because YOU people let them.

Or how does one explain how hundreds of people prevent EFCC from arresting a corrupt governor? Indeed....the standard average Nigerian response for the corrupt who is caught is ''It is all a conspiracy.....he is not the only one'' (The fact he is stealing from them does not bother them one bit.).

Perhaps if we stopped letting them....but no. In a country where people who advocate for such things are called ''noisemakers''....

The problem with Nigerians is Nigerians.

Chinese and Japanese have the ressources because their leader think of the COUNTRY before themselves. stop comparing dogs with horses.

No....China and Japan are the way they are because they don't want to be colonized.Japan in particular has zero resources....it is just one rocky group of islands. Japan in particular is a democracy now ....where the followers expect their leaders to give them premium leadership..(not borehole and road leadership)....and the leaders act.

And one thing about many Asian countries....their leaders loot...but they keep the money at home.And in order to make sure their money makes more money...everything has to work.(That's why Indonesia was a powerhouse after 30 years of Suharto....while DR Congo was a basket case 30 Years post Mobutu....and both of em were put there by the CIA).

Who cares how long/much it takes to do these serums? is that even the issue here?! lol....the issue is very simple: if there was a serum present in west Africa then why was it not given to dying people? why did they have to wait for a US citizen to get infected before they brought it out and gave it to the docs?

You are asking the wrong question.....why haven't you Africans invested in science and education and industries (That is the right question). But no....you want the same America you accuse of exploiting you to save you. (Now that's weird...very weird).

America acts in its own interests.It is time we acted in our own interests....but we will get there via innovation,innovation(Not by arguing over who gets the bigger share of the national cake....and by protecting corrupt governors from the law).

again, if there are "ethics" in drug development then these US docs should have NEVER gotten these unproven drugs....if it was ok to try it on them, then it should be ok to try them on some poor Africans too. they would have signed that BS consent form too.

Didn't you get it? WHAT HAPPENED WAS HIGHLY IRREGULAR. Plus...there are 9 vialsof the drug....7 now.Who out of the hundreds of Africans gets the drug? Is it right that only seven Africans get the drug? SEVEN OUT OF HUNDREDS?.And what if the Americans still die or have a bad reaction to the drug. And.....why aren''t you investing in science and technology?So that we can make our vials of sera?It is not like the science for doing so is secret! Why are you sharing the money(Broken record am i).?

we want to contribute in the proper way, not simply to save 2 US docs while gazillions African were dying previously.

And you people refuse to make your contribution by investing in preventive health, research,etic...because we have to fight with each other about how we will share the money....and compose paens of praise to looterocrats!

again, how can Africans invest in research institutions/universities/scientists etc when A) we have BIGGER problems and priorities than that and B) leaders prefer to get the money in their pockets instead?

See my previous responses.

there are 2 issues here.....FIRST yes our leaders got to go, and should be shot ON SIGHT!!!!!!

Yes....we shalt sit and talk and sing of revolution....until the slice of the cake cometh tomorrow....and then we shalt eat ,drink and be merry!

and SECOND there is something very wrong with this Ebola of a thing. btw Africans were dying and nobody was lifting a finger, now the disease is getting to their doorsteps and suddenly its a problem?! ahahahahahaha

Why aren't we Africans doing something?Must we wait for the whites to help us.

I'm done....Keep on blaming everyone. Because that's what you Africans are good at. I'm tired of blaming the whites.

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 10, 2014
bushdoc9919: Yes,they loot because YOU people let them.
Or how does one explain how hundreds of people prevent EFCC from arresting a corrupt governor? Indeed....the standard average Nigerian response for the corrupt who is caught is ''It is all a conspiracy.....he is not the only one'' (The fact he is stealing from them does not bother them one bit.).

Perhaps if we stopped letting them....but no. In a country where people who advocate for such things are called ''noisemakers''....

The problem with Nigerians is Nigerians.

the above in bold is the only time when you made any sense, so i am going to acknowledge that fact. bravo, let us all clap for Bushdoc9919 for confirming what we all knew.... who else should we blame in Nigeria but Nigerians, or in Africa but Africans?

No....China and Japan are the way they are because they don't want to be colonized.Japan in particular has zero resources....it is just one rocky group of islands. Japan in particular is a democracy now ....where the followers expect their leaders to give them premium leadership..(not borehole and road leadership)....and the leaders act.

sadly, this is where you are completely wrong, Japan and China have the best ressources in the world: a POPULATION that is willing to die for their country, that are willing to work extra hard for the betterment of their nation, couple that with a sound economy that is used accordingly, and you have a winner.

And one thing about many Asian countries....their leaders loot...but they keep the money at home.And in order to make sure their money makes more money...everything has to work.(That's why Indonesia was a powerhouse after 30 years of Suharto....while DR Congo was a basket case 30 Years post Mobutu....and both of em were put there by the CIA).

yes many leaders loot in China but i have never heard of it in Japan (especially not for personal gain), but the difference is that in China you loot you die, they do NOT joke with corruption etc. the problem here is that whether they keep the money home or not is irrelevant if the money does not profit to its intended purpose. if you steal $3billion that were marked to build a power plant but keep it as your personal fortune to build mansion in your own village and private jets, then it certainly does NOT matter whether you keep the money at home or abroad.

You are asking the wrong question.....why haven't you Africans invested in science and education and industries (That is the right question). But no....you want the same America you accuse of exploiting you to save you. (Now that's weird...very weird).

again, you are the one asking the wrong questions as i have already told you why Africans havent invested in the above. now that you know why, you should ask the important question, which IS: what are they doing in Africa if they are NOT ready to help Africans. are we guinea pigs they they study on? whats good for their docs should be good for the locals. there is no second class citizens here.

America acts in its own interests.It is time we acted in our own interests....but we will get there via innovation,innovation(Not by arguing over who gets the bigger share of the national cake....and by protecting corrupt governors from the law).

come on, we aint stoopid. we all know that many of these African bastards in power all over Africa are puppet for all these foreign countries, so that they (US/Europe) can keep robbing us of our ressources and raping our countries......and when a president wants to go against this process and serve its own people (like Kaddafi was trying to do), they are branded a terrorist, and rebels are paid and armed by these foreign
countries or they just invade (under the guise of democracy) and get rid of him to put a puppet gov in place.

Didn't you get it? WHAT HAPPENED WAS HIGHLY IRREGULAR. Plus...there are 9 vialsof the drug....7 now.Who out of the hundreds of Africans gets the drug? Is it right that only seven Africans get the drug? SEVEN OUT OF HUNDREDS?.And what if the Americans still die or have a bad reaction to the drug. And.....why aren''t you investing in science and technology?So that we can make our vials of sera?It is not like the science for doing so is secret! Why are you sharing the money(Broken record am i).?

are you telling me that 7 people could be saved but you rather they all die than save 7 (and get important data from the serum)?!
who cares who gets it so long as SOMEONE GETS IT. if your parents or family were sick, wouldnt you want them to get the serum? what made these 2 people any different than these Africans?

again, when you stop focussing on the wrong issues and bringing the same broken questions to the table (that i have already answered), can we go somewhere in this discussion. Africa does not have enough money to invest in such, so lets focus on the RIGHT issues here.

And you people refuse to make your contribution by investing in preventive health, research,etic...because we have to fight with each other about how we will share the money....and compose paens of praise to looterocrats!

and again focussing on the wrong issues here.........

Why aren't we Africans doing something?Must we wait for the whites to help us.

we are trying to get these white demons hands out of our pockets (and our house) before we can do anything...... but sadly, this demon is as powerful as Lucifer himself, and they control us thanks to their puppet gov that they put in place.

I'm done....Keep on blaming everyone. Because that's what you Africans are good at. I'm tired of blaming the whites.

of course the whites must be blamed...... who else is pulling the strings so that they can rob us blind of our ressources?
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by sweetjulz: 1:30pm On Aug 12, 2014
:ohmmmm.maybe my blood is immune o. to think that this my throat will not kill me.i have been eating fruits eaten by fruit bat for the past 2 years cos we have tress and fruits in my compound,n before they even ripen the nonsense bat will start eating them.imagine how i almost collapsed when i saw that fruit bat were carriers of ebola.we are even thinking of cutting down the tres so they wouldn"t come anymore.may God help us to curb this challeng just like we have done others.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Who Returned From India In January Dies Of Coronavirus Disease In Lagos / What Is Jedi-jedi In English? / Coronavirus: Dr. Amarachukwu Karen Allison Who Suspected Index Case In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.