Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,260 members, 7,822,319 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. (48280 Views)

Good News! First Ebola Patient Discharged In Lagos / Ebola Patient Final Pictures Before Dying (viewer's Discretion) / No Ebola Patient Died In Abuja - Says Doctor Who Treated Suspected Patient! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by roufy235(m): 4:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
hmm
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by cocoduck: 4:32pm On Aug 06, 2014
Lucasbalo: Good points. The two people evacuated to Emory Hospital are doing well because the hospital is one of four in the US that is expecially built to handle contagious diseases like Ebola and their isolation units is nearly perfect with all the necessary life saving machines that monitor body organs. This machines are not in this Ebola afflicted countries. That makes a lot of difference.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by delishpot: 4:38pm On Aug 06, 2014
MyPWisINCORRECT: No wonder this morning I take bus say make I go hustle for Allen Avenue despite my catarrh...

As I sneeve once, heeeshian! Three people hala "driver owaa oh!!"

As I sneeve again, hhheeeheeeheeehehhshian!! Other Passengers including Driver and Conductor follow disappear leave me alone for bus...

I begin wida na!!

All in all, you Don get am? Because the next time you sneeze naira land go empty leave only you as user online.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by kambah(m): 4:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
am afraid of even comment on anything Ebola, so that I wont get infected
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by jasmine21(f): 5:00pm On Aug 06, 2014
MyPWisINCORRECT: No wonder this morning I take bus say make I go hustle for Allen Avenue despite my catarrh...

As I sneeve once, heeeshian! Three people hala "driver owaa oh!!"

As I sneeve again, hhheeeheeeheeehehhshian!! Other Passengers including Driver and Conductor follow disappear leave me alone for bus...

I begin wonda na!!

LOL
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by babzlim(m): 5:11pm On Aug 06, 2014
is a petty, dis guys are just using we africans as lab rat, Ebola has bin in existense since 70s and d liberains has bin eating bats even b4 den even we nigerians love and eat bush meat like food so y havent we all wipet of, and vaccine has bin on extence ever since den. D vaccine just didnt sell much because the sickness was not well publicized, the tention was not massive enough, no body knew it and nobody discussed it. So why d tention now. Or did d virus just suddenly upgraded itself and y did d cure suddenly worked on der citizen. Dat means they have d vaccine all dis while they just need a way 2 dispose it since they dont have cutomers yet they believe africa is d best place 2 spread and sale.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by kraftykc(m): 5:16pm On Aug 06, 2014
ekpesa: all we need is the grace of GOD

HAHAHA.You go die in your self imposed ignorance.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
MRbrownJAY: Africans are infected by the thousand (and subsequently dying), they say there is no cure!!!!!
US doctor in Liberia get infected, they are given a "miracle cure and sent to the US to follow the treatment on that "miracle fukcing cure"!!!!

the medicine is called Zmapp, and they had it in Liberia but supposedly, our African brothers were not important enough to get it. cry cry cry
MAY THEY GET PUNISHED!!!!!!

What happened to our own governments? Why must others always take care of us? They used tax payers money to get the medicine for their citizens. Let African Presidents do the same
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by opportunist: 5:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
Gidihub: ibereh
so we can eat human primates?
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by hayorbaami: 5:57pm On Aug 06, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well....AIDS is the tail end of HIV infection....what happens when HIV has wrecked the body'simmune system completely (if the infected was not taking drugs).

As for new drug treatment....there is a experimental drug which may prevent HIV from integrating with the cell''s DNA.(Integrases).

I have read ebola can't be contracted through fluids(sweat, secretion, saliva and the rest). My question is, does that mean anyone that comes in contact with the sweat of the ebola patient automatically gets the disease irrespective of whether there's an opening on the body surface? Does the virus act without getting into the host's system or it just begins action from the surface of the skin. Or it can enter through the tiny skin pores? I would appreciate your input on this. Thank you.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by titusodem: 6:01pm On Aug 06, 2014
bros mi, let me guess................ you get GF which dey bear dEBOLA. Correct!
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 06, 2014
hayorbaami:

I have read ebola can't be contracted through fluids(sweat, secretion, saliva and the rest). My question is, does that mean anyone that comes in contact with the sweat of the ebola patient automatically gets the disease irrespective of whether there's an opening on the body surface? Does the virus act without getting into the host's system or it just begins action from the surface of the skin. Or it can enter through the tiny skin pores? I would appreciate your input on this. Thank you.

Well studies appear to show that direct contact with fluid from infected people may predispose someone to getting Ebola. It does not mean that everyone who touches the fluid of an infected person will come down with the disease...but the risks are higher.(Symptomatic ebola patients shed the virus in their secretions). However ,the actual mechanism of transmission is not fully clear....and more research needs to be done

The virus probably does not enter the skin....but if you do not wash/disinfect yourself thoroughly....you could get infected by the virus by eating food (or indeed animal reservoirs like the fruit bat)...with your poorly cleaned hand( Another good reason to wash your hands well).

Your risk of infection is low if you wear protective clothing...and thoroughly wash your hands after contact with an infected patient.

WHO'S factsheet on the virus

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by hayorbaami: 6:43pm On Aug 06, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well studies appear to show that direct contact with fluid from infected people may predispose someone to getting Ebola. It does not mean that everyone who touches the fluid of an infected person will come down with the disease...but the risks are higher.(Symptomatic ebola patients shed the virus in their secretions). However ,the actual mechanism of transmission is not fully clear....and more research needs to be done

The virus probably does not enter the skin....but if you do not wash/disinfect yourself thoroughly....you could get infected by the virus by eating food (or indeed animal reservoirs like the fruit bat)...with your poorly cleaned hand( Another good reason to wash your hands well).

Your risk of infection is low if you wear protective clothing...and thoroughly wash your hands after contact with an infected patient.

WHO'S factsheet on the virus

Thanks a lot, I'll get busy with the links too.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by sandrapower(f): 7:07pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by DaZion(m): 9:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
See wetin Ebola don cause now oo..I just switched on my Nokia fone diz evening nd d two hands refused 2 SHAKE HANDS...Abeg help!!!!

Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Flawlessangel(m): 11:08pm On Aug 06, 2014
Just when i thought aids and its brother cancer are the worst disease that can ever happen 2 a human, a bigger badder rugged no holds barred killing machine disease with a funny name '' ebola '' showed up. Chai, what a world, what an era we live in.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by saintol(m): 11:18pm On Aug 06, 2014
We are in the era of E-everything, e-century. Ebanking, Ecommerce, Egovernment, Ewar, electronicBola (Ebola). I dey fear all these e of a thing nw o.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 11:49pm On Aug 06, 2014
bushdoc9919:

You need to go home and rethink your Christian beliefs.

Because....you really are not ready to trust God....because deep down you think that God will let you down if you leave your current line of work.

You can run a website....just post edifying things....things that glorify God....and God will honor you if you make him your no 1.

There was a man that my parents knew. Was making money from abortions. Then he repented....and gave up his abortions and became a water hawker. God honored him....now he is a big business man.

Whatever you think.....dirty pics and Christ do not go together.

I leave you with this verse....

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Philippians 4 vs 8

What about all the money he made from abortions? He threw it inside the lagoon .....Tell, me another story " water hawker" It's not laughable .
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 1:28am On Aug 07, 2014
Someone wrote this on yahoo group and quoted WHO..

"Men who have recovered from the disease can still TRANSMIT the virus through their Fluid for up to 7 weeks after recovery from this illness."
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 1:54am On Aug 07, 2014
tatiana009: What happened to our own governments? Why must others always take care of us? They used tax payers money to get the medicine for their citizens. Let African Presidents do the same

you are asking too much from people who dont give a flying tosser about their citizens. to them you are not even a number.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 5:31am On Aug 07, 2014
Alexpissu:

What about all the money he made from abortions? He threw it inside the lagoon .....Tell, me another story " water hawker" It's not laughable .

He ''threw it away'' apparently....he started from zero again.

There are people who really do turn away from sin.....don't be too cynical.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by chidex167: 6:51am On Aug 07, 2014
nickvanilla: it may not even be about surviving or not.for me,the fear and stigma of contracting that virus is enough hell for a victim.it's indeed a terrible situation.
Yesh it sure is..
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by tswagg007(m): 7:20am On Aug 07, 2014
Ok
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Superstar007(m): 9:34am On Aug 07, 2014
Great!. . This is what I was looking for.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 07, 2014
White007: Ebola is a frightening, highly lethal virus — in the current outbreak in West Africa, about 60 percent of people infected with the pathogen have died. Although in the minority, some people do recover from infection.

Doctors don't know for certain who will survive Ebola, and there is no specific treatment or cure for the disease. But studies suggest there are some biological markers linked with a higher chance of surviving Ebola, experts say.

When a person becomes infected with Ebola, the virus depletes the body's immune cells, which defend against infection, said Derek Gatherer, a bioinformatics researcher at Lancaster University in the United Kingdom, who studies viral genetics and evolution. In particular, the Ebola virus depletes immune cells called CD4 and CD8 T lymphocytes, which are crucial to the function of the immune system, Gatherer said. [5 Things You Should Know About Ebola]

But if a person's immune system can stand up to this initial attack — meaning their immune cells are not as depleted in the first stages of infection — then studies suggest they are more likely to survive the disease.

"The patients that survive it best are the ones who don't get such a bad [immune] deficiency," Gatherer told Live Science.

But if the body is not able to fend off this attack, then the immune system becomes less able to regulate itself, Gatherer said. This means the immune system is more likely to run out of control and release a "storm" of inflammatory molecules, which cause tiny blood vessels to burst, leading in turn to a drop in blood pressure, multi-organ failure and eventually death.

The current Ebola outbreak — which is in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia — has infected at least 1,603 people, including 887 who have died, according to the World Health Organization, making it the largest outbreak in history.

Another marker linked with people's ability to survive Ebola is a gene called human leukocyte antigen-B, which makes a protein that is important in the immune system. A 2007 study found that people with certain versions of this gene, called B*07 and B*14, were more likely to survive Ebola, while people with other versions, called B*67 and B*15, were more likely to die.

Finally, some people may be resistant to Ebola infection entirely, if they have a mutation in a gene called NPC1. Studies show that, when researchers take cells from people with the NPC1 mutation and try to infect them with Ebola in a laboratory dish, these cells are resistant to the virus.

In European populations, about 1 in 300 to 1 in 400 people have this mutation, Gatherer said. But in some populations, this mutation is more common: in Nova Scotia, between 10 and 26 percent of people have this mutation, Gatherer said. But the frequency of this mutation in African populations is not known, he said.

However, because these studies on Ebola resistance were done in a lab, it's not known for certain if carriers of the NPC1 are truly resistant to Ebola.

Gatherer said that, hopefully, samples are being collected in the current outbreak so that researchers can conduct studies to better understand the virus and how to survive it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-survive-ebola-233906237.html

Ope ooo!!

I'm an NPC1 carrier
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by DivineAlliance: 11:19am On Aug 07, 2014
The Price for this Demonic affliction (ebola) and others like it has already been paid for over two thousand years ago by our loving saviour JESUS CHRIST.
You can call n keep calling on Him with faith both for Prevention [/i]and for [i]Complete Cure.
But you can as well help yourself if you so choose with as much helpful information as you can find.
Check out dis site/info for ur information and necessary action.

Deadly Virus Treatment

05/16/2014: Cindy from Usa: "Question for Bill from San Fernando or Ted:

In regards to Ebola, MERS virus, etc, what can a person do if they get one of these as I would think you may find out if you are diagnosed at a hospital, etc and then it may be too late to try and help yourself.

Replies
05/19/2014: Cindy from Usa replies: "i was hoping to have a reply to this question, I think it would help other as well. thanks"

05/19/2014: Bill from San Fernando, Philippines replies: "Hi Cindy...My apologies to you for not answering straight away. The questions you ask are very wide ranging.

As far as I can work out, the way Ted cures viral problems is always dependent on the behaviour and structure of the specific virus concerned. To give you an idea how many different types of viruses there are out there -- see this link. His general approach is to stimulate the immune system in order to raise up immune system strength against the virus using Vitamin C, Lysine, Threonine etc as shown on EC. Other general approaches may also involve hydrogen peroxide or MMS or CS which are also good viral killers. But you can also use virus specific remedies dependent upon whether the virus is a single stranded RNA virus or double stranded DNA type or how it replicates itself.

Specific remedies can be used against enveloped viruses -- which have an outer cell wall. When they replicate, these viruses generally bud out of the host cell thus also adopting the same cell wall as the host which makes these viruses difficult to detect as the enemy by the immune system. So if you destroy the cell wall using aspirin, coconut oil, iodine etc then the virus is de-cloaked and totally exposed and their foreign protein DNA/RNA will be immediately recognized as the enemy and destroyed by the immune system.

Another specific anti-viral approach is to supplement a herb like Chanca piedra to prevent viral replication by inhibiting the virus's reverse transcriptase(replication) enzyme activity. In a British research study with kids who had both hepatitis and jaundice, it was found that just drinking the water extract of Chanca piedra returned all of their livers back to normal in five days. In another group study with Hep B, they cleared the HBV antigen in 22 out of 37 sufferers within 30 days. See all the research here. Currently, Chanca piedra is also being studied for its positive effects against cancer and HIV.

Against non-enveloped viruses, such as Ebola, its probably better to use hydrogen peroxide or MMS or CS because these work electrically and fast in the blood to destroy viruses. These remedies are also particularly good against cell wall deficient bacteria such as mycoplasma. The danger with the hemorrhagic Ebola strain is the bleeding that it causes(same as hemorrhagic Dengue). The Zaire Ebola strain killed 88% of those who caught the virus. So you have to kill this virus as fast as possible to prevent death by blood loss or organ damage. The new Ebola strain that has emerged in Africa is just as virulent.

The MERS virus is a single stranded RNA virus from the coronovirus family. which strongly resembles the SARS coronovirus. In China, as Ted has related on EC, the Chinese found that spraying their houses with just ordinary dilute vinegar killed the airborne SARS virus. Consequently, during the time of this epidemic in China, the price of a small bottle of vinegar went up to $100 in price. Ted also mentions that paracetic acid -- the combination of drops of acetic acid in hydrogen peroxide is also effective against SARS. For MERS, I would perhaps use Ted's Lysine, Vitamin C etc anti-viral or try the hydrogen peroxide or CS or MMS remedies. The MERS virus has an enveloped cell wall so other remedies such as coconut oil, aspirin, vinegar etc may also work. Another interesting fact about the SARS virus is that it is alkaline resistant. If the MERS virus, which is so similar to SARS, has this same property or resistance then alkalizing the body probably will not work against it. We'll have to wait for more research on the MERS virus.

- See more at: http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/virus.html#sthash.rduAz88H.dpuf
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by callmebettyetta: 11:26am On Aug 07, 2014
I thinks the anti-retroviral drugs for people with HIV can also be take for a patient with Ebola virus.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by callmebettyetta: 11:28am On Aug 07, 2014
I thinks the anti-retroviral drugs for people with HIV can also be take for a patient with Ebola virus. since the Ebola attack the immune system. same with HIV and AIDS also attack d immune system.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by whytepawn1(m): 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2014
this whole thing sounds like a conspiracy to me. why didnt the US make know to the world the existence of a possible cure, not until their citizens became infected. they chose to use Africa as a means to an end, spreading the disease knowing that we will run to them for the cure. I personally believe that the Ebola virus has a very potent cure or serum. They are just waiting for the disease to spread through Africa, scare the shit out of us, and then present themselves as the saviour with the serum, Which of course won't be free of charge. God help us all.
Re: How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 07, 2014
[quote author=whytepawn1]this whole thing sounds like a conspiracy to me. why didnt the US make know to the world the existence of a possible cure, not until their citizens became infected.

Because( sighs with frustration)...THE DRUG HAD NOT BEEN TESTED IN HUMANS YET!

It had only been tested in monkeys.

Plus....it isn't certain whether the drug works in humans yet...and previous studies with a similar serum showed that the sera delayed the onset of illness.

Plus it costs thousands of dollars to make even one vial.

If it had been given to Africans....people like you would have been saying....They are testing untested drugs on Africans again!

they chose to use Africa as a means to an end, spreading the disease knowing that we will run to them for the cure.

Yes...because people like you think that development is sharing money instead of focusing on investing in science and tech!

Which if we had done ...we would have made the sera in Nigeria SINCE!

I personally believe that the Ebola virus has a very potent cure or serum. They are just waiting for the disease to spread through Africa, scare the shit out of us, and then present themselves as the saviour with the serum, Which of course won't be free of charge. God help us all.

Oh dear.....what twaddle.

We do not develop cures for Ebola because you people refuse to vote in leaders that would do the needful...and invest in science and technology and industries....that would have guaranteed us coming up with cures for Ebola ages ago!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Who Returned From India In January Dies Of Coronavirus Disease In Lagos / Coronavirus: Dr. Amarachukwu Karen Allison Who Suspected Index Case In Nigeria / What Is Jedi-jedi In English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.