Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? (2641 Views)

American Company Sells Pork-laced Bullets To Fight Islamic Terrorists / Pray for Muslims Being Massacred In Burma By Buddhist Extremists. (Graphic Pics) / Only Objective Muslims Should Open This(no Fanatics Pls) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by javalove(m): 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2008
Salam Alykun,

Please i need to know rhe meaning of these words and how they came about. Its these words are not only used by unbelievers, but the believers use them too. What does the term moderate muslim also mean? I feel (in my opinion) we the muslims are also falling for the wrong usage of these words. May Allah guide our tongue.

Islam is a complete way of life, that needs no modern redefinition. No new laws or advocacies for change can take place. Every issue that concerns life has been explained clearly in the quran and the sunnah. Please lets not igorantly join unbelievers in using these words.

May Allah guide us aright

1 Like

Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by Nimshi: 6:56pm On Oct 22, 2008
Interesting topic for discussion.

babs787, olabowale, ayinba1: this is a contemporary issue; where're you all?
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by ayinba1(f): 9:12pm On Oct 22, 2008
@nimshi

you can set the ball rolling, it is indeed an interesting topic and I have been running after my first 6 figure job, so yeah, that's why I haven't posted in a while.

@javalove.

This is very true indeed i.e the fact that we muslims are the ones encouraging the use of these terms. To start with Islam encourages moderation in all that you do as a muslim. Now this has nothing to do with compromise. Compromise in the sense of if Allah says, do not drink alcohol, you cannot drink it simply because everyone at the party was drinking it and anyway, you only took a sip.
Nope, that's not what moderation means.

So first we need dto recognise what compromise (disobedience to Allah) is versus practising moderation in all we do.

Non muslims "love" the "liberal" muslims and maybe "moderate " muslims too. My dear, if you are a muslim and  non muslims describe you as "liberal" and prefer you, pause and reassess. Are you practising Islam OR just claiming to?

to be continued

1 Like

Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by javalove(m): 11:58am On Oct 23, 2008
Thanks alot sister @ayinba for ur contribution. I get where u are coming from.

@nimshi, what do u think too?
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by mukina2: 12:13pm On Oct 23, 2008
Java

Fanatics, Extremist and Terrorist. these are people who confuse their traditional beliefs with Islam. Theese are people who keep sowing seeds of poison and hatred between Muslims and the rest of humanity by committing egregious acts of violence in the name of Islam. The ethnic cultural people of islam usually fall along these lines.
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 24, 2008
gh
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 10:50am On Oct 24, 2008
mukina2:

Java

Fanatics, Extremist and Terrorist. these are people who confuse their traditional beliefs with Islam. Theese are people who keep sowing seeds of poison and hatred between Muslims and the rest of humanity by committing egregious acts of violence in the name of Islam. The ethnic cultural people of islam usually fall along these lines.

I disagree. They are words coined by haters of Islam to describe any Muslim that doesn't comform to their style/system. Unfortunately, many Muslims have been gullible enough to fall victims. Osama was once labelled freedom fighter by US, now a terrorist because he doesn't play ball again.

The word I hate most is to be called a MODERATE MUSLIM. If a non-Muslim calls you a MODERATE MUSLIM, tehn you need to watch your Islam, because, as Allah made us to know, if you practice your Islam the way you should, the Christians and the Jews will not like you.

However,much as I hate to use the word to describe a Muslim, I recognize that some Muslims actually go to the extreme in some matters, but that is not the definition of Extremism the way the West and pitiably some gullible Muslims see it.

Extremism is doing what is not founded in Islam, like secluding oneself in one room for many days,in the name of worship, and not going to pray in mosque or Jumaat; married man performing nawafils all night and deying partner sex for many days etc

Also pls note that the following are not extremism, as widely believed:
-Refusing to shake hands with opposite sex
-Refusing to take pictures
etc
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by zayhal(f): 3:56pm On Oct 24, 2008
ife-eco-06:

I disagree. They are words coined by haters of Islam to describe any Muslim that doesn't comform to their style/system. Unfortunately, many Muslims have been gullible enough to fall victims. Osama was once labelled freedom fighter by US, now a terrorist because he doesn't play ball again.

The word I hate most is to be called a MODERATE MUSLIM. If a non-Muslim calls you a MODERATE MUSLIM, tehn you need to watch your Islam, because, as Allah made us to know, if you practice your Islam the way you should, the Christians and the Jews will not like you.

However,much as I hate to use the word to describe a Muslim, I recognize that some Muslims actually go to the extreme in some matters, but that is not the definition of Extremism the way the West and pitiably some gullible Muslims see it.

Extremism is doing what is not founded in Islam, like secluding oneself in one room for many days,in the name of worship, and not going to pray in mosque or Jumaat; married man performing nawafils all night and deying partner sex for many days etc

Also please note that the following are not extremism, as widely believed:
-Refusing to shake hands with opposite sex
-Refusing to take pictures
etc

You've spoken well and truthfully too.
Some people, even muslims, label other muslims fanatics, extremists etc, if they strive to abide by the sunnah.
The thing is, Muslims should just endeavour to do away with all these names and just be MUSLIMS.
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by Nimshi: 4:43pm On Oct 24, 2008
javalove:

@nimshi, what do u think too?

Here, for starters:

It is noteworthy that you mentioned that believers have used these terms too; I agree they have. But there is a lot of discussion about them. Particularly, "moderate Muslim"; I tend not to use it, but whenever this term comes up in discussions, I'd almost always request that it be explicitly defined. Many (not all) times, you'll find that there's a thick layer of prejudice beneath the use the "moderate Muslim" term. (If my interlocutor is a Christian, I ask them if a "moderate Christian" exists and request that they explicitly define who such a one is if the answer is 'yes'). But at other times, one may be 'forced' to go along with some definition of the term, perhaps for the sake of discussion. Words/terms are useful only to the extent that they improve discussion. I don't like the term "moderate Muslim", yet, will it be heresy to accept that it may be used in discussions? Once the meaning is clear and understood and consistent, then you could call it anything; you could define

"moderate Muslim" = " ultimate Muslim", or,
"moderate Muslim" = "halfway Muslim", or
"moderate Muslim" = "modern Muslim", or
"moderate Muslim" = "no Muslim", or

Whatever you wish.  I'll hope the point – which isn't really subtle – is clear.

You may have noticed that the "moderate Muslim" term gained currency after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the US; it's become quite popular in mainland Europe. Apparently, Osama bin Laden became the personification of "militant Islam" (another term). These terms have heavy political meanings.

And, since we're entering that sphere, let me stress here that I find attacks on soft civilian targets detestable and condemn the Sept. 11 attacks as actions from a group of cowards who have co-opted Allah's name in furthering their political ends. But, this is also important: I think Laden is on firm ground to insist that the US should exit Arabia. This may be impractical, but neither are US policies around the world, policies that have killed millions, much more than the precious lives lost on Sept. 11 and elsewhere through attacks by "militant Muslims" (I hope to always put these terms in quotes).

When considering the use of the term "moderate Muslim", it is important to remember the events that the manipulative US and Western media have succeeded in associating with Islam: the 9/11 attacks. Because of these contemporary issues, including the branding of Islam as a violent religion, terms such as "moderate Muslim" have gained currency, as if the ground state of Islam is 'not moderate'. We could expand this discussion, but, Ma'a salaama for now.
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by javalove(m): 6:32pm On Oct 24, 2008
@mukina2

Thanks for ur contribution. May Allah reward you.

@ife-eco-06

May Allah reward you abundantly too.

@Nimshi

May Allah reward you abundantly.

And, since we're entering that sphere, let me stress here that I find attacks on soft civilian targets detestable and condemn the Sept. 11 attacks as actions from a group of cowards who have co-opted Allah's name in furthering their political ends. But, this is also important: I think Laden is on firm ground to insist that the US should exit Arabia. This may be impractical, but neither are US policies around the world, policies that have killed millions, much more than the precious lives lost on Sept. 11 and elsewhere through attacks by "militant Muslims" (I hope to always put these terms in quotes).

The world has never mourned the killing of civillians in the middle east, probably because the people there are not civillian enough or dey aint humans. If you ask me, lets not get unnessecarily emotional about the 9/11 issues ooo. This guys wud not hesitate to wpe out islam if dey have the chance. Foregin policies are now springing up in countries that are islamic, policies that go against islam in all ramifications. The US is waging war on iraq, the middle east and islam. . . no matter aw we view it.

Our feelings or thoughts are secondary when it comes to matters of faith. What f it was the US that attacked Irag or Afghanistan that way? It would be tagged " a successful strike on terrororsts" i guess.

I'm confused the more sincerely I am. Who is the terrorist or militant now!!!!!! Is it the muslims or the west? and why are they attacking us? Who started all these and whn did it start? Dont you think the world would be peaceful if the west lets us be? Why are we painted like we are killers? Is there any group of people benefiting from all these?

Or is the fault from we muslims? Cos i just get mad about the way Islam is percieved around the world. So if Obama was muslim, he can never be american president? Or a muslim can never rule america?

@Fanatism

Thank you all. I get the meaning of this word now. I'm not convinced about terrorism or "militant islam" yet.

Its not impossible I'm wrong, I stand to be corrected!
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by Nimshi: 12:37am On Oct 25, 2008
javalove, Salam.

I can only say "Amin" for your prayer, and thank you for your kindness.

Terrorist: As said, it is important that we engage those who spread misconceptions. How come, I will ask, that Islam have become synonymous with terrorism? Muslims did not invent suicide bombings, neither attacks on civilian targets, neither attacks on military targets; so, how come? This has got to be one of the most successful media coups in recent memory. The West and the Western media have almost completely succeeded in consolidating the lie that Islam is a religion of violence. And they have got some help from Muslims too, I am afraid; issuing threats and getting all riled up because of injuries, particularly to incitement about the person of the Prophet has caused a lot of harm, and the political class in some Islamic countries have exploited the mostly uneducated masses for political ends. Yet, as the 9/11 attacks showed, these weren't uneducated people; quite the contrary. And people mix the activities of say, Hezbollah militants and Hamas. Heck, Hezbollah attacked Saudi Arabia. And people mention Saddam Hussein and accuse Islam; Hussein was a secularist. And, in the starkest views, what're the differences between the morality of Osama bin Laden and Gerge W. Bush? Not that there aren't problems in the house of Islam, but this wholesale condemnation of Islam as a den of terrorist is absurd.

Are Muslims also partly to blame? I must answer Yes. But I encourage rational discussions. When young Palestinians, say, resort to the tactic of blowing themselves off, is this a symptom of madness in Islam? People find easy explanations that fit their already existing paradigms; but almost always, the truth is deeper, and darker. If we don't expose those, no one else will. But there's some light; a recent example relates to the US/Muslim example you mentioned: Colin Powell just delivered a crushing logic pushing back against those who will suppose there's something wrong with being Muslim and American. There's some light; and being rational and calm could help.

Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by Frizy(m): 11:40am On Oct 28, 2008
@poster
I will Insha Allah, tell you who people (some Muslims and Non Muslims) label fanatics, terrorist, or fundamentalist. In this write, the argument will be that are they truly these or are labeled to ridicule. Secondly, the moderates, are they just people who identify with Islam with no Iman and would do anything to compromise faith with the other to avoid any short comings in their life?
I will be back
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by javalove(m): 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2008
@Frizy

i cant wait man!!!! tnx for ur contribution
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by Nimshi: 11:50pm On Nov 01, 2008
Waiting . . .
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by sanoosy(m): 8:07am On Nov 11, 2008
Islam is indeed a beautiful religion and complete too,but recent world events have raised the need to have a concensus and common(uniform)concept of what Jihad truly means.I am a moslem and for a long time i've had problem reconciling what i read on d subject in the glorious Quran and the reality of things done in the name of Jihad around the world,and to make matters worst those muslim leaders and Ulamas are not coming out to put things right.So in my opinion this is one area that will go a long way in reshaping the negative image others tend to have on our religion.Thanks
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by focused123(m): 2:46pm On Nov 26, 2009
Fanatics, terrorists, extremists are Fundamentalist Muhammedans. Examples are Al- Qaeda, Lashkar el Taiba, Boko Haram, Hizbollah, Hamas and millions of other clandestine groups whose work is to kill people in the course of allah (the rock god of kabbah).
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by thehomer: 2:29am On Nov 27, 2009
None of the posters defined what they felt a moderate muslim should be. I like to think of religiosity as being on a scale with the highest being those who are very intolerant of other religions and 1 being able to allow others practice their religion or non-religion freely in their own home where it does not infringe on others rights, without also infringing on the rights of these other people. (May need further revision since it's just off the top of my head)

On such a scale, the fanatics etc. would include those so highly intolerant as to be willing to kill people based on their (or their leader's) own instructions received from the Qur'an.

A moderate would then fall on the median numbers. What I'd like to find out is what the consensus is on what the characteristics of this median group should be.
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by Abuzola11(m): 11:16am On Nov 29, 2009
There is nothing like moderate muslim, either u are a muslim or not
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by Empiree: 2:29am On Oct 07, 2017
Any of you guys still hold your views after 9yrs? tongue
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by Ainsky: 5:22pm On Oct 08, 2017
Believing in conspiracy theories about how the west hates muslims doesn't help anyone. Especially not fellow muslims. The word extremist, terrorist etc isn't used to refer to muslims who pray often or cover up. The word conservative is used for them. The words extremist or terrorists are used for those that commit violent acts aimed at causing as much damage as possible in order to achieve their goal whether that be recognition or something else. The west does not hate muslims or islam. If you think that then why did the west give shelter to millions of Syrian refugees ? You must realize that there exist people who call themselves muslims but kill people and do horrible things. These are the ones who are called terrorists or extremists. Not those that pray often or cover up.

Osama bin laden was always considered a terrorist. Even Saudi threw him out of the country and cancelled his citizenship. Yet idiots and yes I do mean absolute brain dead idiots continue to support him. He killed hundreds of thousands of muslims through al queda. Al queda inspired isis which killed thousands of Iraqi and Syrian muslims. He caused 9/11 which caused the deaths of 3000 innocent people including many muslims. If you call Osama a hero then you clearly just hate the west. You aren't thinking rationally. Islam is perfect but muslims are not always perfect. There are evil muslims and that is why the concept of Takfir even exists. Even in the ancient past often caliphs fought and killed other caliphs. There were muslims killing muslims for land and property. The west did not do anything to cause that. When the west says moderate muslims they usually mean those that practice islam without being ultra conservative (For instance wearing the niqab which is not mentioned in the quran or the hadith's but comes from culture). And those that allow other people to live their lives without imposing on them. These exist terrorists and extremists such a Osama or Bagdadi who kill innocent people. Something that is 100% against the teachings of the quran. By glorifying these people and claiming that the west is falsley labelling these "freedom fighters" you are yourself a bad muslim.

The Afghani government and people hate Osama and the Taliban for what they did. The people of iraq hate the al queda for all the harm they caused them and they hate Isis. They ask the west for help. They fight alongside the west. Read the news. These people kill hundreds in terrorism attacks. Hundreds of innocents and hundreds of muslims. As Africans we have no right to claim someone is a hero when the people they hurt clearly don't think so. When the countries in which that "hero" operates themselves claim he is a terrorist.

You say that the west uses words such as extremists and terrorists to mislead muslims. Do you think muslims are dumb? That they're stupid to so easily be led astray and brainwashed ? No! the simple fact is that there do exist people who do horribly evil things in the name of Islam and that these people are extremists and terrorists. Moderate muslims are those that live without doing such things and don't force their beliefs on others. It's as simple as that.

In the end, if you hate the west so much why do you people scramble to go live there ?
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 7:54pm On Oct 12, 2017
MODERATE MUSLIM = DOING THINGS THAT RASUL DID WITHOUT ADDING OR REMOVING . .(ahlu sunnah) . . .fanatics knows absolutely nothing about islam but they would die for islam. .e.g. sufi, shia and others..sufi with thousands of azkar and debate with kufars like them. . while shia cutting themselves on ashura and other stupid things dey do . . . . . . . . . extremist..fanaticsm leads to extremism. . fanatic = zero knowledge, extremism= would refuse corrections and would do anything to people correcting them.. example; sufi vs jabata in ilorin, sufi vs abu ibeji in ibadan, sufi vs uztaz yusuf in iwo .... terrorism is putting extremism in action..example; sufi heinous lies against jabata, voodoo against him, curses and others. . . abu ibeji sent to pris0n, have his beard shaved, beaten, series of lies..same goes for uztaz yusuf
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 7:57pm On Oct 12, 2017
SHIA AND KILLING OF MUSLIMS . . PERFECT ANSWER . .
Re: Fanatics, Extremists, Terrorists: What Do They Mean? by RENOWNED2(m): 2:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
Yall should stop bombing people...thats all grin

(1) (Reply)

Islam-the Only Acceptable Religion Before God: / Obama Admits He Is A Muslim / Hijab Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.