Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry (95429 Views)

I DID NOT start the salt cure rumor, only created awareness of d hoax / Lady Who Started The Salt & Water Ebola Cure Rumour Comes Out, Tenders Apology / Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by freecocoa(f): 9:56am On Aug 08, 2014
DRealGeesam1:
So i should have just kept quiet abi.
Who knew people will take it this serious.
Nairaland has too many kids. Mind how you talk to me pls!
May thunder fire you, you this silly girl, you still even have the nerves to talk rubbish.

Do you know that you could be responsible for some serious health issues or possible death sef? I wonder what you learn in that university, thank your stars this is Nigeria, you for just rot in jail, ewu, though it's obvious you are just looking for attention but e no go better for you for joking with important stuff as this.

5 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by jjwaterfalls(f): 9:58am On Aug 08, 2014
DRealGeesam1:
What is it with you? Have you never played any prank on your friends before?
Respect yourself...
Quote me again and see

Hey!!!!!! Wat is it with u? When smone is guilty of smtn evn wen pple ar scolding u, its expected 4u to be quiet. Do u know hw many pple u hav scared? I woke up dis morning and d 1st thing I saw on my fone is dis salt and water issue, if not dt am A medicaly inclined person, I would hav belived without confirming. If I were u I did be quiet except on d oda hand u are lying again. angry

2 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by omodapson(m): 9:58am On Aug 08, 2014
This shows how ignorant people can be. You get a broadcast and the next moment, you start spreading rumours. These rumours you are sharing and causing confusion, please know that there is God o.

1 Like

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by olatinpo(m): 9:58am On Aug 08, 2014
DavidKissinger: You guys are falling for this too? Isn't it obvious she's just an attention seeker? undecided

Attention seeker, and she got it. Period!
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by GSKing: 9:59am On Aug 08, 2014
jpphilips: Only in a country where majority of the populace are m0r0ns

If she had said pepper in place of salt, they'd all still bath with hot water and pepper!grin

7 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Holuwathoby(m): 9:59am On Aug 08, 2014
#FactsOnEbola: The Facts
versus The Nigerian
Merchants of Misinformation
– JJ, Omojuwa
This is 2014 but going by the ease of
gullibility and Nigeria’s ignorance per
capita, this might as well be 1714 in
Nigeria. Many reasons account for why
we are such a gullible people but two
main factors trump everything; our
governments’ penchant to leave
information gaps and the desperation
of most of our religious fathers to be
our all in all. It’d be fine if such
realities were confined to private
matters where people are privately
fooled but misinformation has become
a macro issue, it has gained commercial
strength and as it is today, it has
become a matter of life and death.
Ebola is here and misinformation could
end up killing more people before Ebola
does.
First it was bitter kola, now it is salt
and water (plus pepper and palm oil)
but a search through google would
clearly show that none of these cure
Ebola. Even the ‘secret serum’ being
tested by the United States has had a
more effective use on Ebola than
anything else but the Americans are
not even daring to say ZMAPP cures
Ebola. They live in 2014 unlike us so
they know that until something is
clinically proven to cure an ailment, it
remains nothing but an experimental
solution. We are not even close to
calling our salt and water solution an
experimental one because we have
never tested it against Ebola. The age
of social media, phones and
BlackBerry/Whatsapp broadcasting
has now meant that word of mouth,
which used to be the most effective
marketing tool in Nigeria has now
gained technological power and has
become even more powerful. Sadly
though, these broadcasts are often not
true.
On its day, Google is quite fast but no
matter how fast Google is, it really
does appear the spread of ignorance in
Nigeria would always be faster than
Google. Ignorance seems to spread at
the speed of light in Nigeria. One
moment it is bitter kola, then you are
up the next morning, faced with a
battle to kill another round of
misinformation; boiled water and salt.
According to the World Health
Organisation, Ebola at the moment has
no cure, no specific treatment and no
vaccine. Even if you drink a river full
of water mixed with 100 bags of salt,
if you come in contact with the body
fluids of an infected person, you are in
danger of contracting the Ebola virus.
As you can see, it is not such a
difficult thing to prevent Ebola from
spreading. Vigilance and obsessive
attention to your personal hygiene,
coupled with a clean environment
prevents Ebola. As a people, we love
difficult solutions but it doesn’t have
to be. The Ebola virus cannot survive
disinfectants, heat, direct sunlight,
detergents and soaps. Just make sure
to always clean up your body and your
environment.
Bush meat may be carrying the virus,
avoid bush meat and suya for now.
Restrict yourself to food prepared at
home. Avoid unnecessary contact with
people at the moment. Rodents can be
carriers of Ebola. Fumigate your
environment and dispose of the
carcasses properly! Dead bodies can
still transmit Ebola. Don’t touch them
without protective gear or avoid them
altogether. Protect Yourself. Use
protective gear if you must care or go
near someone you suspect has Ebola.
Report any suspicious symptoms in
yourself or anyone else
IMMEDIATELY you notice them. Don’t
delay! Educate Everyone. Tell your
neighbours, colleagues and domestic
staff. You’re safer when everyone is
educated about Ebola.
Ebola has no cure, its fatality rate is
as high as 90%. Bitter kola does not
cure Ebola, boiled water and salt do
not prevent nor cure Ebola. No other
solution does too. Nothing the Nigerian
Misinformation Committee (NMC)
comes up with in the next coming days
cures Ebola. With Ebola, your best
‘cure’ is prevention. There is no known
cure for now. The closest ‘cure’ is still
at an experimental stage and it is not
yet in Nigeria. Please save this country
from the merchants of misinformation,
broadcast this message on your phones
and tell your friends and family. Visit
Ebola Facts to learn more on Ebola and
follow #FactsOnEbola on Twitter. If
those of us who know better refuse to
be committed to informing the people,
merchants of misinformation will
bridge that gap with misinformation. It
could be costly. With Ebola, everyone
deserves to know the facts now! The
Lagos State Ebola helplines are live
and they are free. This is the easiest
to remember, Call 0800-EBOLA-HELP
(0800326524357) to know more or to
report suspected cases.

3 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by shakol91(m): 10:00am On Aug 08, 2014
Too late I just finished drinking my own hot water with salt. Na my mama come give me for bed wen I still dey sleep. cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by yuscopefly(m): 10:01am On Aug 08, 2014
DRealGeesam1: My confession and apology

Dear nairalanders and everyone who have heard of the ebola Prevention "News", My name is Adesewa, I am coming out clean because what started has a joke has escalated into the unprecedented.
How it started
Yesterday i was with friend in her hostel, we were talking about this Ebola out break, when one of my friends, Funke (she introduced me to nairaland) brought the idea of Us playing a prank on our friends. The first suggestion was to tell people that aloe very could cure Ebola, but we thought it would sound too ridiculous so we forgot about it.

Later that even an idea came to me (i now regret that i did it).
I decided to send a BBM broadcast message to my friends, telling them that the Ministry of Health has asked everyone to bathe with salt and warm water and drink some of it.
I sent the message 7:08pm yesterday

Later this midnight i started getting calls and messages that i should drink salt water and bath with it.

All efforts to tell people that i was the one who started the joke failed. Only my friends who i mentioned earlier believed me. Even my mum could me this morning, i did not know what to tell her.

I am using this medium to beg you all to warn and tell everyone, before they drink salt and damage their health.

Please dont be hash on me. I know this has gone out of hand. I never knew it will be this serious. Some have even added to the original message i sent.
pls dont try dis kind of prank again because is too expensive n dont know million peoples that panicin with dis motherfuckin joke
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Itoroetti(m): 10:01am On Aug 08, 2014
DRealGeesam1:
So i should have just kept quiet abi.
Who knew people will take it this serious.
Nairaland has too many kids. Mind how you talk to me pls!

i believe u must be having issues with ur brain for even having the guts to insult people on nl.u even have d guts to call guys on nairaland kids even when u are still in school struggling to write an exams and pass.
are u aware most people here had graduated b4 u wrote ur first jamb exams?
instead of showing how sorry u are,u are here justifying ur reasons for ur sily and fooolish act.
i wish our security agencies were up and doing,people like u should be answering questions at dss office.

8 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Nakarey(m): 10:02am On Aug 08, 2014
@op smh 4u...see what uve caused now ba? U not only succeeded in making people panic,uve also put there health at risk.bet y?
U shudnt have joked wit a serious issue as this...its even making d news on radio and discussion shows already..imagine!!!! @op if no be one thing I 4 say make thunder fire u,but I won't.u are 4given..go and sin no more!
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by GSKing: 10:03am On Aug 08, 2014

Dear nairalanders and everyone who have heard of the ebola Prevention "News", My name is Adesewa, I am coming out clean because what started has a joke has escalated into the unprecedented.
How it started
Yesterday i was with friend in her hostel, we were talking about this Ebola out break, when one of my friends, Funke (she introduced me to nairaland) brought the idea of Us playing a prank on our friends. The first suggestion was to tell people that aloe very could cure Ebola, but we thought it would sound too ridiculous so we forgot about it.

I decided to send a BBM broadcast message to my friends, telling them that the Ministry of Health has asked everyone to bathe with salt and warm water and drink some of it.

Later this midnight i started getting calls and messages that i should drink salt water and bath with it.

All efforts to tell people that i was the one who started the joke failed. Only my friends who i mentioned earlier believed me. Even my mum could me this morning, i did not know what to tell her.

I am using this medium to beg you all to warn and tell everyone, before they drink salt and damage their health.

Please dont be hash on me. I know this has gone out of hand. I never knew it will be this serious. Some have even added to the original message i sent.

You're real good at this... must be a very bright student in school... No dumbass can come up with this...

You got a fan... I'M YOUR NUMBER ONE FAN!!!

I'd do the same if I got the chance, lol

kiss

5 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 08, 2014
cirmuell: An arrogant b¡tch grin i don't blame yah...i blame the government of this country.
Wetin concern government with this one na? Na dem force the girl to send the BC?
Some Nigerians like you can be very annoying.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by arewatech(m): 10:03am On Aug 08, 2014
Razi1: bastard so na u make ma fada wake me up wit fone cal for 6am tel me say make i baf hot water with salt .u get luck say i no drink am.oluku like u.no be ur fault na joblessness cause am.mugu u mates d go school so dat dm fit help find cure for d ebola while u d school d fool around. With such xpensive joke if u get 3rd class later nw u go begin say na lecturer hate u.no go find beta tin do with ur time.retarded senegalese chimp.canter mawapukwagi mmiri otu gi.fool

You NAILED it bro! Thumbs up.

2 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Monarchmindset(m): 10:03am On Aug 08, 2014

i kinda like this guy, i have always wanted to pull a BIG PRANK like this, #bestprankoftheyear by the way you all of you that bath with one litre of salt and water this morning, didn't your common sense tell you that you can't kill a virus with salt is it an earth worm.

4 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by lekkie073(m): 10:04am On Aug 08, 2014
u must be mad angry

How it started

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by ojuoluwani(m): 10:04am On Aug 08, 2014
U are a liar Please nairalanders ignore this ladt called herself Adesewa she said she send the message around 7:08pm liar cos I got the message From my friend around 2:49 pm yesterday and added to it my mom called arround 1:15 pm though I didn't answer the call cos I was not with the phone but later around 4pm after I closed in the office I called her back and she told me she wanted to tell me to bath with salt and water so ADESEWA STOP using nairaland for stupid thing

2 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by heatmeup(f): 10:04am On Aug 08, 2014
**********i really wanted to get nairaland fame,and there i go I GOT IT*****************
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by akereconfi: 10:05am On Aug 08, 2014
The OP is still arrogant. Do you know by that BC, you have created negligence in the mind of people because they will think the salt and water therapy will protect them against contracting the virus and so they will ignore other safety measures. You are lucky you are in Nigeria. Try that in England here, you will be cooling your ASS in some detention facility no sooner.

There is no EXCUSE you will give for this silly act you have done. Ebola is an issue threatening the human race in Africa here and all you could do out of it was to make a prank out of it. I received the BC this morning

2 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by akereconfi: 10:06am On Aug 08, 2014
GSKing:

You're real good at this... must be a very bright student in school... No dumbass can come up with this...

You got a fan... I'M YOUR NUMBER ONE FAN!!!

I'd do the same if I got the chance, lol

kiss

Confirmed Lunatic
QED
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by ibrutex(m): 10:07am On Aug 08, 2014

How it started

just listen to yourself undecided
how old are you ? if i may ask
how can you make a joke with life threatning virus..
Goto Liberia and tell them your joke ,inbox me the outcome when you back! idiot

2 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by hippyzuki(f): 10:07am On Aug 08, 2014
If ur saying the truth then u made a very silly joke I only pity our old n uninformed hypertensive parents that would tk you seriously... frm ebola prevention to stroke. if anybody die na u kill dem oo

1 Like

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Jdfada: 10:07am On Aug 08, 2014
Phicure of u spreading d ebola to ur friends or adonbelivit. My hot water still dey fire... For were. Nonsense.
Jobless idiyats.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 08, 2014
Did u compose that
misspetit: I would not call myself a non-conformist, but I would not say I like to join the "band-wagon" either. I like to whenever I get information (like the "salt+warm water" bath against the fatal ebola virus) sit down and carefully analyse whatever it. Now, ebola virus got its name from a river in Congo where it broke out the second time after its Sudanese premier in 1976. Research and observation shows that it can only be contracted by #PHYSICAL CONTACT of body #FLUIDS from an infected to a non-infected person. If this be the case, I believe it is safe to assume that the ebola virus is NOT an air-borne disease! This news of bathing salt and warm water is such as I find in the least laughable. It is a blatant show of how fear can sometimes incapacitate intellectual distillation of beguiling information. Until there is physical contact, then there can be no infection, and please #NOTE: a salt water bath cannot prevent one from contracting the disease just take simple precautions and move out. Ebola is a germ. That is why simple disinfectants like dettol will work perfectly well in your bath water. Please stop spreading fear. Do you know that the fear of an impending missile in WWI killed more people than the missile itself? I even got a text message about the "salt+warm water" bath. Desist from such! All you need to do is to take precautions and live healthier lives. My heart goes out to the families of Patrick Sawyer and all medical practitioners who have died from the fatal disease. SARS came we overcame it, ebola will not see our end we shall overcome it. I like the health tips. What I will NOT tolerate is FEAR tips. I don't want them! I don't need them.

Signed: Odeyemi, Oluwaseun ( A final year Law student of the Faculty of Law, University of Lagos)

Pls, pls, pls, Re-bc. Thanks
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by stagger: 10:07am On Aug 08, 2014
OP, you should be arrested.

The ignorance being put out on a daily basis by Africans is why this disease is spreading.

2 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by holyboy100: 10:08am On Aug 08, 2014

How it started

. F00000000000000000000000000000L,it seems You dont have better thiNGs todo with ur time.all you can offer NiGeria is this?Dont you no These can lead to another problem,dont ever try This in Ur Life again and as 4 this start asking 4 Forgivess Coz people are now cursing 000

1 Like

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by aretheytheron(m): 10:08am On Aug 08, 2014
grin

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Dmail(m): 10:08am On Aug 08, 2014
Anybody here knows how to E-arrest someone.....Cos this Shewa of a girl needs to be in detention and grounded..... I so hate Rumour mongering.

2 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Kassidy90(m): 10:08am On Aug 08, 2014
Effect of table salt in our body

Mineral Depletion: Table salt leads to a poorly functioning immune system along with the initiation and acceleration of chronic illness. It depletes calcium, potassium, and magnesium and is directly related to cardiovascular disease. Ingesting large amounts leads to mineral deficiency.

Acid Formation: Due to its lack of buffering minerals, table salt becomes an acidifying substance within the body. This makes it difficult for the body to maintain its alkalinity.

Fluid Imbalance: Table salt is toxic to the body and responsible for upsetting the fluid balance. One ounce of ingested table salt will cause the body to retain 3 quarts of water (6 pounds of excess bodily fluids), in an attempt to dilute this extremely toxic substance. Many people that cut down on their sodium intake notice weight loss as the body begins to release the extra water it retained.

Addiction: Table salt is highly addictive and disease promoting. Even with all the table salt contained in manufactured foods, many people will add more salt to their food from a salt shaker.

Disease: Table salt either causes or aggravates a host of sicknesses – including but not limited to: edema, obesity, hypertension, coronary heart disease, myocardial infarction, angina pectoris, stroke, congestive heart failure, kidney failure, PMS, manic-depression, and the list goes on.

High Blood Pressure: Table salt is a contributing cause of high blood pressure. Many people could probably be off blood pressure medicine if they would simply eliminate table salt from their diet.

He who has ears let him hear....

2 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by cirmuell(m): 10:10am On Aug 08, 2014
tukane:
Wetin concern government with this one na? Na dem force the girl to send the BC?
Some Nigerians like you can be very annoying.
what an overwhelmingly disappointing heartbreak of a comment. dude you're foolish...in a sane country, she should be behind bars now. do you have any idea the level of panic she caused with her stupid joke? do you know how many people are allergic to salt but have to take it 'cause of fear of the unknown?. worst of all refined salt? dumb mofo. angry

2 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by labbyboi(m): 10:10am On Aug 08, 2014
Joke or not joke, na only foolish person go believe am. I got bc for salt and warm water and some 'depe' even include psalm 91(oluwa gbogun ti awon to n gbogun timi) www.foolishness.com

3 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by elari(m): 10:10am On Aug 08, 2014
Funny enough I don't blame the o.p. but the ignorant peeps out there who as much as believe something that is not scientifically proven or religiously accepted
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by disloman(m): 10:10am On Aug 08, 2014
Do u knw what u av caused?Av pple that av used salty water to bath this morning.its crazy n knw d nature of we nigerians.Some pple r just heartless.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Man Wears Snake Instead Of Face Mask In A Commercial Bus In England / French Doctors Say 'Test Coronavirus Vaccines In Africa", Eto’o, Drogba React / Mum Infects Her 17 Children With Coronavirus In US As She Didn't Show Symptoms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.