Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,792 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? (7163 Views)

Poll: Hosehelps. Daycare. Which would you use as a parent?

Househelps: 33% (26 votes)
Daycare: 66% (52 votes)
This poll has ended

Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? / Operation No To Househelps 2014 / What Other Means Do We Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by haroldpatt(m): 5:32am On Oct 18, 2008
Why and how long do we have to continue using the services of day care outfits to the detriment of our children's upbringing?
It is no longer news that husbands and wives are already jostling for relevance in the corporate world, the marketplace and leaving the children to the househelps and daycare to take care of, which most times have been affecting the children negatively.  I think something has to be done.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by benincitys(f): 3:31pm On Oct 18, 2008
i work and i take care of my baby no househelp in my house.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by chiogo(f): 4:58pm On Oct 18, 2008
House helps = Modern day slavery cry
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 18, 2008
I think Daycare is of necessity. Just so darn expensive!!!!

If one does not appreciate the kinds of social workers interfering in one's life, the only alternative is to put children in daycare or "employ" house helps.

House helps are being paid like regular employees, they can quit on their own time, so nothing wrong with it. undecided

One of my aunt has a maid lipsrsealed She comes in twice a week to clean up the house, does her laundry, clean up the kitchen, the toilet, vacuums the floor etc. And the maid gets enormous paycheck.

Me sef, I think I'll need a maid later on lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed sad Not that I can't clean up after myself, just that I'll be too busy. And I detest a dirty home, and knowing how lazy Naija men are, so. . . .maid it is cool
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by Angolobabe(f): 1:10pm On Oct 19, 2008
not thinking about house help for now although i have a weekend cleaner but i do most things myself.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 19, 2008
daycare for kids understandable but househelp lipsrsealed
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by bluehorizo(m): 1:33pm On Oct 19, 2008
The services of househelps and daycares is not a MUST but a NECESSITY in the case where time factor decides the everyday living of the husband and wife. Or how do you want a banker wife and wife and an IT husband to cope with the time if not to employ the service of a housemaid or use the service of a daycare?
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by zayhal(f): 6:13pm On Oct 19, 2008
It's not too much of a sacrifice if a mother decides to stay at home to take care of her kids, especially if the husband's pay is sufficient for their living, and if its not, then the woman shd take up a job that won't be so demanding as to make her be away from home most of the day. The kids are usually the worst for it.
For children who are left with househelps and those taken to daycares, the stories are barely different.
No one can take care of your kids the way you would. Why bring them down when you know u're going to hand them over to others to care for them?
I love my babies too much to leave them to househelps or daycares. And what about other problems encountered with these people? Househelp palaver, if she's not stealing, she'll be too dirty, or stupid, or lazy, or whatever, so many complaints! I've never had one, but neighbours will always come to tell you their sad stories of how bad the househelp is.
And the daycares, can't even imagine my kid there. Babies are vulnerable to diseases and it's easy for them to bring home all sorts from the way they're kept with other kids.
I went with a friend to pick her daughter at d daycare one day and I didn't know when tears started dropping from my eyes at the sight I saw, kids stepping on one another, others crying at d top of their voices.
For me, no daycare, no househelp.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 19, 2008
zayhal:

It's not too much of a sacrifice if a mother decides to stay at home to take care of her kids, especially if the husband's pay is sufficient for their living, and if its not, then the woman should take up a job that won't be so demanding as to make her be away from home most of the day. The kids are usually the worst for it.
For children who are left with househelps and those taken to daycares, the stories are barely different.
No one can take care of your kids the way you would. Why bring them down when you know u're going to hand them over to others to care for them?
I love my babies too much to leave them to househelps or daycares. And what about other problems encountered with these people? Househelp palaver, if she's not stealing, she'll be too dirty, or stupid, or lazy, or whatever, so many complaints! I've never had one, but neighbours will always come to tell you their sad stories of how bad the househelp is.
And the daycares, can't even imagine my kid there. Babies are vulnerable to diseases and it's easy for them to bring home all sorts from the way they're kept with other kids.
I went with a friend to pick her daughter at d daycare one day and I didn't know when tears started dropping from my eyes at the sight I saw, kids stepping on one another, others crying at d top of their voices.
For me, no daycare, no househelp.
The bolded part is very understandable. However, in this modern world, a woman have no other options but to take her children to daycare, or else, the social workers are liable to take them away. Which is something I'm very sure no mother wants.
Unless there's a family member willing to take your child/ren in while you're at work. Me sef, I hate daycares!
Every time I pick up my baby cuzin from daycare, it's either he hasn't eaten or diaper has not been changed. There's a scene of crying children, runny nose children, etc.
What a mother could do is change her schedule. Stay home in the morning, and leaves for work when there's anybody above the age of 16 at home to take care of her children. Or call up a babysitter. undecided No other option.
You cannot leave a child below the age of 16 alone at home by his/her, unless the child is very quiet and understands that he cannot pick up the house phone, open the door for anyone, and cannot cook while he/she is home alone.

As for househelps, they do not have to live with you right?
Comes in this time of the week, does her job and leaves.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by HRhotness(f): 6:26pm On Oct 19, 2008
my great aunt used to live with us to babysit while we were growing up and we always had 2 maids for as long as i rmbr. . . in our case my mum was a working single parent and houselps were a necessity. I had to sack my mums last maid tho, she was robbing us blind!

truth is if u are a working woman, with a large house and family, u definately need help. leaving my babies with total strangers is a no no for me, thats why we hav family. . . it worked for my mum so it has to do for me.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by lucabrasi(m): 8:10pm On Oct 19, 2008
@poster
why not,as long as the househelp is treated nice and provided with the necessary basic welfare package, married ppl with kids ll tell you how hard it is coping with work and taking care of the kids
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by chiogo(f): 9:16pm On Oct 19, 2008
When they say househelps, It's usually a young kid about the age of the employer's kids.

If the 'househelp' who is the same kid as ur kid can do it, why can't ur kid??

Like I said, househelps= modern day slavery. Nanny is more like it because they're elderly so no case of child-abuse.

and when the kids become teenagers, no more of that.

They should be able to take care of themselves.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by lucabrasi(m): 2:12pm On Oct 21, 2008
yes and will it be better for the child to stay with the parents where he/she has zero hope of having an education,food,clothing,basic living welfare?
child abuse can/will happen even with blood parents who treat their own children even worse, we have heard stories where parents have maimed their own children to use them in begging for alms, or used them for rituals
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by ifyalways(f): 9:42pm On Oct 21, 2008
chiogo:

When they say househelps, It's usually a young kid about the age of the employer's kids.

If the 'househelp' who is the same kid as ur kid can do it, why can't ur kid??

Like I said, househelps= modern day slavery. Nanny is more like it because they're elderly so no case of child-abuse.

and when the kids become teenagers, no more of that.

They should be able to take care of themselves.
touche wink
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by Gamine(f): 2:06am On Oct 22, 2008
I will never see anything wrong in having Help.

Haba

You be machine!

You will need help whether you like it or not.

Thank God for the nature of my profession, i dont have to go anywhere

before i can work, Thanks to the Internet

so i will be at home with my kids grin grin

Others, im so sorry cry
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by kokoye(m): 1:54pm On Oct 22, 2008
HR.hotness:

leaving my babies with total strangers is a no no for me, thats why we hav family. . . it worked for my mum so it has to do for me.

I'd prefer a standard and professional daycare so there there are more than one eyes looking at those little brats. They are also more careful because of lawsuits, bad publicity and all.

Hotness, I hope you live outside of Nigeria o because family?? you cant trust anyone now o, siblings are kidnapping nieces and nephews for a buck in my motherland nowadays. I also know of this aunty who used to feed her nephew with detergent back then.

TRUST NO ONE!
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by Outstrip(f): 7:19pm On Oct 22, 2008
Ruby Pearl is there no other day care in yoru town that your nieces and nephews have to go to one that they do not change diapers or feed children. Have you said anything about it to them.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by BabyJinx: 7:24pm On Oct 22, 2008
A good Naija Housewife has no need for daycare because she will be at home taking care of her children.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by plappville(f): 9:17am On Oct 23, 2008
Baby Jinx:

A good Naija Housewife has no need for daycare because she will be at home taking care of her children.

Gone are those days when women site back at home as a house wife, women these day go to work if not just for the money but to at least meet new people and learn new things each day, this is good.

It is true that this house help of a thing gives room to some women to have the freedom to move the way they like, i know one friend who always leave her kids with the house help and go out with her boyfriend, she is not even working but there is enough fund to wast.

As for me i ve heard several problems with this daycare things with my first kid, sometimes i feel for him because they dont change diaper regularly as a mother does, u will see ur child with dirty nose, sometimes they will call u to leave ur work when they notice the kid has a slight fever or diarria, it is not very fun but then one need to have a source of income.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by rubi(f): 3:09pm On Oct 24, 2008
Outstrip:

Ruby Pearl is there no other day care in your town that your nieces and nephews have to go to one that they do not change diapers or feed children. Have you said anything about it to them.
I have come to the conclusion after several experiences from different day care centers/househelp that they are all the same no one is better that the other and you can't get 100% satisfaction from anyone taking care of you baby. I know exactly what ruby is saying. At the same time kids need public interaction with other kids, it helps them in their developmental stages research have proved that. What I do I just compromise and tell myself it is a matter of time they will out grow it. I know it is a challenging period
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by Danke: 3:13pm On Oct 24, 2008
@topic

pls i need them ,body na firewood,how can one combine work and kids togeda wtout the help of daycares or nanny? undecided so wen its time to go bring d child from school d woman will leave work b4 time for dat one?wat if she ends up loosing her job,wat she uses to feed the family?

nobody wants to leave their kids for anybody,but a mother ,father or both parents cant be there all d time undecided
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by Ebonyj(f): 3:28pm On Oct 24, 2008
I have an au pair and my son goes to nursery full time.
Not because I am lazy but because I need it.
Until quite recently I did not have an aupair but when I could no longer cope with working full time, rushing to the nursery after work to pick up my son, then rushing home to cook and tidy the house(which leaves me little or no time for my child) and then at night when it is time to sleep , you have to perform your wifely duties I decided I needed some extra help which is why I hired an aupair.

With the au pair, I can come home after work and relax with my husband and child ,I now have time to read him his bed time stories, play with him you know and just spend some time together as a family.

Even if I was not working full time I might not have any au pair but my child would still go to nursery because he needs to have some kind of interaction with his peers, I don't see it only as an educational environment but it will help to improve his social and communication skills as he develops.
I can tell you that even though my child his only 2 you can tell him apart from other kids who do not attend nursery, he appears to be more confident and he his speech is a lot clearer .
As per the cleanliness of the nursery, it really depends on the nursery and its regulating body, if you are not happy with the way they are handling your childs welfare or you are not happy with the environment then there is a procedure for you to report it or make a complaint.
Enough said.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by gamechange(m): 4:19pm On Oct 24, 2008
There is nothing wrong in using a domestic or house help, provided proper and necessary vetting has been carried out. What is most important though is to make sure that their is mutual respect between both parties, i.e all the modalities of the job need to be agreed before commencement of duty. Typically where there is no prior arrangement and agreement, abuse creeps in.

Also it is worth noting here that for those who take on  children of school age as domestics, please , please please, give them a chance at education or vocation.

1 Like

Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by JJYOU: 5:29pm On Oct 24, 2008
thank God for phillipinos and scandanavians
gamechange:

Also it is worth noting here that for those who take on  children of school age as domestics, please , please please, give them a chance at education or vocation.
thank you
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by layifioren(m): 8:40pm On Oct 24, 2008
@ topic
I understand what you mean when you say at the detriment of our child's upbring. Our society today is a "New Generation" style where everyone is selfish. They want to eat their cake and have it at the same time. The women don't feel important no more if they are not in the corporate world and the man is not man enough to work his guts out to fend for his family. We make all the extra money but then our kids are learning more from the TV, internet and any other sources than from their parents. No offence but their are enough vagabonds in the world. WHy would you want to bare them if you don't have a proper plan for them. The kids did not come to this word themselves, we brought them to this world.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by biolabee(m): 9:01pm On Oct 24, 2008
Tell me who’s responsible for what we teach our children
Is it the internet ? Or the stars on television Why o why o
Fire On the Mountain(Asa)

True word layi the irony of the modern age
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:52pm On Oct 24, 2008
I belong to the era of housegirls.
Their advantages can never be overstated. They are cooks, nannies, maids, gatemen, servants, gardeners all wrapped into one package.
As a child, my experiences with househelps were both good and bad.
Some are extremely wicked to the kids whilst the others are just too darn horney.
One of the advantages of househelps is that they come cheap, and are at your disposal 24/7. But Househeps are usually stigmatized with labels like witches, thieves, demon possesed, e.t.c.
I remember one time when a child was brought to church with the househelp and the househelp was accused of initiating the child into witchcraftcy.

Daycares are basically dere to keep the child busy while yoou work and in the process try to teach the child a thing or two while interacting with other children.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by MrCrackles(m): 9:54pm On Oct 24, 2008
if they are genuinely needed why not?!

i just dont support the maltreatment and disrespect meted out to them in most households!

they deserve more
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by ajiriavae(f): 10:00am On Oct 25, 2008
first let me address the statement that house help is modern slavery. there are house keepers everywhere in the world. in nigeria we now have agencies that provide both day and live in help.there is dignity in labour so lets stop sounding like its a curse to take care of people as house keepers. besides don't we costantly complain about unemployment.all we should be concerned about is that under aged children are protected from child labour.
second, all this talk about other people watching kids while parents work is getting annoying. why do we go through the trouble of educating ourselves if we are going to be berated for trying to make something of ourselves. the important thing is to make sure that parents spend quality time with their kids when they are around. make sure the kids have unlimited access to you and talk to them about everything. a stay at home mother who is not close to her children is just as bad as a woman who is never around.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by Pittbaby(f): 7:48pm On Oct 25, 2008
ajiri avae:

first let me address the statement that house help is modern slavery. there are house keepers everywhere in the world. in nigeria we now have agencies that provide both day and live in help.there is dignity in labour so lets stop sounding like its a curse to take care of people as house keepers. besides don't we costantly complain about unemployment.all we should be concerned about is that under aged children are protected from child labour.
second, all this talk about other people watching kids while parents work is getting annoying. why do we go through the trouble of educating ourselves if we are going to be berated for trying to make something of ourselves. the important thing is to make sure that parents spend quality time with their kids when they are around. make sure the kids have unlimited access to you and talk to them about everything. a stay at home mother who is not close to her children is just as bad as a woman who is never around.
[/quote

Totally agree . If you can afford to have a steward , why the heck not , my thots are don't exploit the person (pay a fair wage and dont give them demeaning work i.e anything you wont do yourself ) and dont hire a child .

Child care experts actuall say that day care can be beneficial to a child at a certain age , it helps the child to socialise and build up their immunity as they are exposed to germs from other children (take this advise at your own risk) . But off course it should not be a substitute for proper parenting or spending bonding time with you young child.
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by KarmaMod(f): 7:51pm On Oct 25, 2008
don't have children then abi?

In the economy of now, who can afford being in a single income home? Or should they now start carrying the kid on their head to work?

and i don't know why people keep making up stories of "negative influence". Since when is being around other kids known as "negative influence"
Re: Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? by gentleone(f): 11:41am On Oct 27, 2008
whew! i actually thought the post was a link to getting a househelp!
anyway, @ poster and others who object to daycare/househelp, it is a necessity as someone said earlier for a working mother!

right now, i'm looking for a househelp. i normally take my baby to work, drop her at a daycare centre then pick her up after work and i must say the stress is really much coupled with everyday holdup in lagos.

if one has a family member around sha, i think its better. i always leave my baby at home anytime my sister is around.

all in all, a working mother( as in 8-5 or 9-5 ooo)needs someone to help out. cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Am Staying / The Best Inverter Battery To Buy !!! / Mother In-laws

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.