Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? (10669 Views)

#bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota / Best Diaper For Babies / Starting Daycare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Woged2005(f): 4:52pm On Aug 05, 2014
A paid Live-in Nanny and professional daycare, which is better for babies toddlers (age 6months - 3years) before they start school?

1. Please what are the advantages and disadvantages of both (what issues/problems result from both?
2. Any tips in searching, hiring and motivating a live-in Nanny?
3. What hours or days do you give him/her off?
4. Do you put her in your family's medical insurance or she needs to buy her own since she's paid?
5. Do you factor her feeding and accommodation in as payment in kind while discussing salary?
6. Do you allow her visitors, friends, and relatives visit her at your home or it's considered her workplace (office) no visitors allowed?
7. If she's a young lady with a boyfriend, what rules can you make for her without infringing on her rights and freedom since she lives in your house?
8. Which age bracket is best for Live-in Nanny?

Please you don't have to answer all. I appreciate any useful advice you have on any of the question.

Thanks and God Bless!

4 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
Live in? No, resume at 6.30 close at 6.30 when we are back from work, we dont need a live in, we can care for our child by ourselves when we get home.

Hiring? By recommendations, terms of employment clear, stipends clear and fair.

No feeding and accomodation for me because you no go stay in my house, I have a Nanny Cam to ensure everything goes on well.

Friends and visitors during working hours? No, do that on your own time when you close.

Boyfriend? Her life, her choices, she is an employee not a slave, same way I wouldnt work somewhere that regulates when I can marry or have babies.

Age bracket? 18 years and above or 16 years if she is done with school. Nothing less than that

14 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by ITbomb(m): 5:23pm On Aug 05, 2014
Live in preferred but must be above 40 years and ugly

15 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Kanwulia: 5:29pm On Aug 05, 2014
I prefer paid live-in nannies! kiss

4 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by bigheart2013(m): 5:50pm On Aug 05, 2014
aisha2:

Age bracket? 18 years and above or 16 years if she is done with school. Nothing less than that

18 years!!! Hehehehehehe! some maids I see these days..haaaa only God knows how the man in the house will cope if they become live-ins. I call them 'Maids in Minis' (mini-skirts). Women should quit asking for trouble. Long time ago in Nigeria, our neighbor's maid was an outstanding beauty- could pass for a paragon. I guess she was about 21 - 22yrs. Every boy in the quarters was after her. yet she was related to the woman but not to the man, and the man was a lecturer with a well-know history of collecting 'bush allowances'. cheesy Hehehehehehe! Ok o! no wahala! "trouble dey sleep, iyanga go wake am up".

Abeg! I'll go with a professional daycare if I can afford it (6am -6:30pm). If a live-in Nanny, MUST be above 50years and never shapely. Conditions of service should be discussed, agreed on, and signed by both parties. I'd rather hire from verifiable references (preferably church members) before someone turns my baby to a Witch..LoL! Moreover, I'm not bringing any relative from Nigeria to come babysit for me abroad. Never!!!

8 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Danhumprey: 5:52pm On Aug 05, 2014
ITbomb: Live in preferred but must be above 40 years and ugly
gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 05, 2014
bigheart2013:
18 years!!! Hehehehehehe! some maids I see these days..haaaa only God knows how the man in the house will cope if they become live-ins. I call them 'Maids in Minis' (mini-skirts). Women should quit asking for trouble. Long time ago in Nigeria, our neighbor's maid was an outstanding beauty- could pass for a paragon. I guess she was about 21 - 22yrs. Every boy in the quarters was after her. yet she was related to the woman but not to the man, and the man was a lecturer with a well-know history of collecting 'bush allowances'. cheesy Hehehehehehe! Ok o! no wahala! "trouble dey sleep, iyanga go wake am up".
Abeg! I'll go with a professional daycare if I can afford it (6am -6:30pm). If a live-in Nanny, MUST be above 50years and never shapely. Conditions of service should be discussed, agreed on, and signed by both parties. I'd rather hire from verifiable references (preferably church members) before someone turns my baby to a Witch..LoL! Moreover, I'm not bringing any relative from Nigeria to come babysit for me abroad. Never!!!

MEN not I said MEN not boys are not dogs. They respect themselves and their bodies and dont just pounce on any female close by.
Men have standards, women should Marry MEN and not boys

10 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 05, 2014

Hahahaha.......Definitely.

2 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by egopersonified(f): 6:12pm On Aug 05, 2014
For me, a recommended daycare it is. I dont want anyone invading my privacy and turning my home to a lodge. If in need of help with house work, they come in the evenings when am home or on weekends.

3 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Abrilla(f): 11:41pm On Aug 05, 2014
Does your nanny come to work with her food or takes breakfast and lunch at your place?
aisha2: Live in? No, resume at 6.30 close at 6.30 when we are back from work, we dont need a live in, we can care for our child by ourselves when we get home.

Hiring? By recommendations, terms of employment clear, stipends clear and fair.

No feeding and accomodation for me because you no go stay in my house, I have a Nanny Cam to ensure everything goes on well.

Friends and visitors during working hours? No, do that on your own time when you close.

Boyfriend? Her life, her choices, she is an employee not a slave, same way I wouldnt work somewhere that regulates when I can marry or have babies.

1 Like

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 3:47am On Aug 06, 2014
Abrilla: Does your nanny come to work with her food or takes breakfast and lunch at your place?

She has breakfast and Lunch at home when Lunch is served, I was thinkingmore in the context of a live in sorry. Its not taken off her pay.
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Woged2005(f): 4:04am On Aug 06, 2014
aisha2:

She has breakfast and Lunch at home when Lunch is served, I was thinkingmore in the context of a live in sorry. Its not taken off her pay.

Most live-ins I know eat along with their employers. They are more like part of the family. It's not gonna be easy to tell someone who feeds your kids not to eat when they are eating.

2 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Woged2005(f): 4:13am On Aug 06, 2014
I was expecting to hear more about any psychological set-backs kids have while staying at daycare. Definitely a daycare is only as good as their employees. Honestly there has been some very bad experiences and abuses at daycare center by their employees either deliberately or due to negligence. Some instances include 2 kids (a boy and girl between 5 and 7) who were caught on camera being intimate in the bathroom. Another instance where an older kid of about 14 was physically abusing a toddler while one of the staff didn't pay attention. other cases of disease infections, kids learning foul languages, and daycare staff drugging kids so they can sleep, etc. these stories are very scary.

2 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 06, 2014
Nanny comes at 7 and leaves at 6. Eats breakfast and lunch in the house. No visitors are allowed and she has 2 days off. Baby is still quite small so I can't tell exactly how she's treating him in our absence. I'm think of getting a nanny cam.

1 Like

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by igbsam(m): 6:10am On Aug 06, 2014
c
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by 9jahubcom(m): 6:10am On Aug 06, 2014
wait oh
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 6:12am On Aug 06, 2014
A sexy one is perfectly ok by me!!

1 Like

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by BrAkingNews: 6:14am On Aug 06, 2014
if you ask me?
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Pinkytracy: 6:19am On Aug 06, 2014
A matured live nanny is preferable!!
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by tbagjames(m): 6:21am On Aug 06, 2014
ok
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by macsika: 6:28am On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 6:30am On Aug 06, 2014
there're pros n cons of each.

here's a nanny who almost made this family's life a living hell:
http://www.people.com/article/nanny-diane-stretton-interview-wont-leave-california-home-marcella-bracamonte

Gaggi: Nanny comes at 7 and leaves at 6. Eats breakfast and lunch in the house. No visitors are allowed and she has 2 days off. Baby is still quite small so I can't tell exactly how she's treating him in our absence. I'm think of getting a nanny cam.
u should. if u're unsure of how she's treating ur child, u should get a cam to find out.
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 06, 2014
I prefer daycare to live-in-care givers. The child can mix with other kids at the daycare and there would be plenty of activities and a whole playground to themselves which would be a lot of fun.

2 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Cymbal: 6:44am On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 06, 2014
Woged2005:
Most live-ins I know eat along with their employers. They are more like part of the family. It's not gonna be easy to tell someone who feeds your kids not to eat when they are eating.

If you took your time to read properly you will see I clearly said NO LIVE IN. Resume at 6 and close at 6. Then they eat breakfast and lunch no special arrangement.
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 06, 2014
Woged2005: I was expecting to hear more about any psychological set-backs kids have while staying at daycare. Definitely a daycare is only as good as their employees. Honestly there has been some very bad experiences and abuses at daycare center by their employees either deliberately or due to negligence. Some instances include 2 kids (a boy and girl between 5 and 7) who were caught on camera being intimate in the bathroom. Another instance where an older kid of about 14 was physically abusing a toddler while one of the staff didn't pay attention. other cases of disease infections, kids learning foul languages, and daycare staff drugging kids so they can sleep, etc. these stories are very scary.

You asked what works for us you didnt ask for scary stories, some of us have no stories to share, we cant manufacture it to feed your fear.
I was thinking you were looking for realistic practical advice I think I know wherethis all is going lol

Feminist things, at the end poster will bring out the scary stories and say allwomen should stay home and care for their kids, how is that your niece copying with her hatred for feminists after seeing a "feminist" church lady in a married mans hotel?

1 Like

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by dagr8(m): 7:13am On Aug 06, 2014
lol...truth
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 06, 2014
I prefer a daycare so my baby will learn how to be a little bit independent. I've seen many people that daycare has worked for and they have little or Ω̴̴̩̩̩̥̩̩o regret
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by kelechiodo(m): 7:20am On Aug 06, 2014
aisha2:

MEN not I said MEN not boys are not dogs. They respect themselves and their bodies and dont just pounce on any female close by.
Men have standards, women should Marry MEN and not boys

You make me laugh or are you naive. In terms of skirt issue, everyman is a boy. Just dont play with a tiger whether alive or dead. Protect your own in what ways you can and not on the assumption that my husband is a "man" and not a "boy". A word is enough for the wise

8 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 06, 2014
kelechiodo:
You make me laugh or are you naive. In terms of skirt issue, everyman is a boy. Just dont play with a tiger whether alive or dead. Protect your own in what ways you can and not on the assumption that my husband is a "man" and not a "boy". A word is enough for the wise
wink

Call me naive no wahala. I grew up seeing and interact with MEN who were raised as humans with self control and not raised like animals (tigers and dogs) each to their own abeg

5 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by caregivers: 7:41am On Aug 06, 2014
If you are looking for a live in Nanny please visit http://nigeriancaregivers.com/
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by shadowwalker101: 8:00am On Aug 06, 2014
am not a mother
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Know Your Spouse Personals':- Score Yourself! / Can You Continue With The Marriage? / Help!! He's different on nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.