Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola (73596 Views)

Nigerian Dr.(PIC)Who Survived Ebola Tells Her Story-Long But Interesting Read / How I Survived Ebola - Late Nurse's Fiance / How I Survived Ebola - Survivor Speaks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by olokfor: 10:11am On Aug 09, 2014
Vandy Jawad 7, is a reminder of hope and survival in an otherwise deeply tragic situation. He was in the treatment centre at Kenema for more than one month after contracting the virus in Daru village about 40 km out of Kenema town, and one of the worst affected communities in Sierra Leone.

According to nurses, he displayed some very serious symptoms when first admitted, “That small boy was very, very sick. We did not think he would survive as so many haven’t,” said Sister Nancy Yoko, the nurse in charge of the Ebola Treatment Centre in Kenema.

Vandy started showing signs of recovery a couple of weeks ago slowly gathering his strength. When he finally achieved a negative test result, which revealed there was no more Ebola virus in his system, it was time for him to go home.
the girl that survived ebola
“Little Vandy provided laughter at the most unlikely moments inside that ward, I’m so happy for his recovery, “ a British volunteer nurse who treated him inside the centre told UNICEF.

“Isata Konneh (35) was another patient who I met leaving the ward. She had tears in her eyes and proudly displayed her certificate to the nurses “I am so happy for this day, I thank God that he has helped me survive” she says.

Many of those contracting the virus are themselves health workers who come in daily contact with very sick patients. Six nurses from the Kenema Treatment Centre, have died. Among the staff infected is survivor Fatmata Sesay who I met after she was released from the ward along with her 11-year-old daughter Tata. Fatmata spent three weeks in the ward while Tata was there for two, “I am the happiest person in the world right now.”

“I knew I was very sick as I was bleeding through my nose and vomiting blood clots, but I am lucky, I am better now and so is Tata. It is not easy to recover from this terrible disease,” says Fatmata.

As the survivors leave the hospital there are often several local media waiting to photograph them and hear their story. Fatmata raises her arms in the air, “I thank Allah and the nurses who have cared for me, we are alive.”

Before patients leave the ward, they are presented with transport money to get home (about US$10), a clean set of clothes, and a certificate declaring that they are healthy and no longer have Ebola. They are photographed and congratulated by staff, and in humble way, celebrated for their resilience.

Hope!
Sources:

http://blogs.unicef.org/2014/08/07/ebola-in-sierra-leone-the-joy-of-survivors/

http://metronaija.com/photos-meet-7-year-old-sierra-leonan-boy-others-survived-ebola/

27 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by macpetrus(m): 10:15am On Aug 09, 2014
Thank God...

113 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:20am On Aug 09, 2014
Wow! Lucky kid! grin

And so it happened...
Ebola benched BokoHaram! undecided

86 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 09, 2014
It goes like this “There is Hope in every situation - so Keep calm and protect yourselves. Prevention is way better than Cure”

49 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 09, 2014
Nigerian researchers should take some serum samples from these our brothers and sisters ASAP (USA must have done that since!), afterall if Liberia could infect us, then Sierra leone could help cure it!

39 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Adenugay(m): 10:29am On Aug 09, 2014
this is really serious though

Ebola Cure: Challenging Nigeria To Develop Our Own ZMapp >>>> http://www..com/ebola-cure-challenging-nigeria-develop-zmapp/

3 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Nobody: 10:29am On Aug 09, 2014
There is Light at every channel

10 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Nobody: 10:29am On Aug 09, 2014
DONT JUST KEEP SHAKING ALL HANDSIF NEED BE, WEAR GLOVES WHEN GOING OUT, COS OF DOOR KNOBS, CAR HANDLES, BUSES ETCWASH HANDS FREQUENTLYDONT JUST VISIT HOSPITALS ANYHOW, IF YOU MUST AVOID CONTACT WITH PATIENTS AND WEAR A GLOVE, COS OF HOSPITAL SURFACESIF YOU MUST GO BURIAL, AVOID CONTACT WITH DEAD BODIESREDUCE VISITING OTHER HOMES FOR NOWADEQUATE HYGIENECARE MUST BE TAKEN IN WASHING A DEAD BODY. ADEQUATE PROTECTIONAVOID BUSHMEAT, BATS AND OTHER WILD ANIMALDONOT ATTEMPT TO TREAT A SICK PERSON AT HOME ESPECIALLY IF THE INDIVIDUAL HAS A HISTORY OF CLOSE CONTACT WITH ANOTHER SICK INDIVIDUALALERT THE APPROPRIATE BODY IMMEDIATELY IF YOU NOTICE ANY EBOLA SYMPYOMS( ESPECIALLY BLEEDING )PASS ON INFO TO EVERYBODY PLUS RURAL INDIVIDUALS

11 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Pavore9: 10:30am On Aug 09, 2014
May the Lord be Praised! No matter how gloomy it maybe, His Glory will shine forth!

19 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 09, 2014
Good news

How i wish Ebola can just enter Boko Haram camp. Lots of problem would have been solved.

22 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by booblacain(m): 10:31am On Aug 09, 2014
There must be something in their gene that made them survive, especially in those two sisters.

22 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by kel4soft: 10:32am On Aug 09, 2014
Where are all our Nigerian Pharmacist arguing JOHESU and NMA. This is the time to flex your muscle not on positions.

6 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Prowizy2(m): 10:32am On Aug 09, 2014
ThankGod for them,

Meanwhile I just

44 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Bryan12(m): 10:32am On Aug 09, 2014
This is so unfair.How can six nurses die just to save three people?? undecided

21 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by DICKtator: 10:33am On Aug 09, 2014
WORLD WAR Z.
WHERE IS BRAD PITT WHEN YOU NEED HIM?

grin grin grin grin

22 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Celepope: 10:33am On Aug 09, 2014
I am really happy for them.Ahahahah Boko go don dey vex say FG nor dey reason them again unto say Ebola don take him shine.Useless Animals

13 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 09, 2014
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by bidexolumanish(m): 10:33am On Aug 09, 2014
9ja invention of salt solution is soo funny

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by legalwealth(m): 10:33am On Aug 09, 2014
Good hearing this!

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by lonelydora: 10:34am On Aug 09, 2014
Please the Nurse's family on the run should come and see this story. No cause for alarm!
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by anytexy: 10:35am On Aug 09, 2014
Really!
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by taymeesan(m): 10:35am On Aug 09, 2014
busuyem: I think the best way to end Boko Haram in Nigeria is send an Ebola victim to their camp since the virus easily spreads faster than bomb itslf. This may save our military men from untimely death of BH insurgency in this country. Can we call this the advantage of Ebola in Nigeria by the way?
Dat would only make their work a lot easier....all dey have to do is spread demselves into different parts of d states and infect as many ppl as possible...plus their pee would be d new bomb!

36 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 10:35am On Aug 09, 2014
Wic medicine dem use
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by NaLaugh: 10:35am On Aug 09, 2014
Good thing they lived to tell about it. wink

Boko Haram would be mad as hell this period. Ebola stories stealing all the limelight and attention.
I'm sure shekau is somewhere in the forest like:

"Musa, Na che' kabani Ebola. I say gib am po' me Ebola so dis fi'fl are pearing me mo' and mo' mana.. angry"

17 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by englishmart(m): 10:35am On Aug 09, 2014
Something tells me this EBOLA hasn't come to stay.
The fear of ebola kills even before ebola strikes

Let's just pretend ebola doesn't exist but be very careful about our dealings.

Ebola! Ebola!! Ebola!!!
How many times did I call you? undecided
No play come my side o. cheesy

Lest I forget,

Everybody should take urine and honey tomorrow. As early as 5am.
This will help kill all the ebola that is on the way
. cheesy

10 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Nobody: 10:35am On Aug 09, 2014
..test those kids again to be sure sure....

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by tbagjames(m): 10:36am On Aug 09, 2014
With God, we will all overcome

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 09, 2014
Thank God for his life.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

COVID-19 Drive-Through Test Center In Yaba / University Otuoke Female Student Who Took Tramadol Dies During Sex In Bayelsa / Salako Treasure, OAU 100-Level Student Commits Suicide (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.