Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,752 members, 7,851,582 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:29 PM

President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed (1882 Views)

President Jonathan Wants Attahiru Jega Sacked - Sahara Reporters / I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan / N20k & N200K Deposit Limit For Account Holders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by ceo4eva: 5:08pm On Aug 09, 2014
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan has advocated for the removal of the constitutional age limit of 40 years for a Nigerian to become president.
Jonathan described the provision as discriminatory against young Nigerians with the energy, ideas and other qualities to lead the country to greatness.
Jonathan spoke at an International Youth Conference organised by the Nigerian Young Professionals Forum (NYPF) with the theme, “Capacity for change for a new Nigeria’’ yesterday in Abuja.
He challenged the youths to forward a constitution amendment bill to the National Assembly for the removal of all discriminatory provisions in terms of age and promised to support them.
The president said the call by the Chairman and Founder of NYPF, Mr. Moses Siasia, for 35 per cent affirmative action for youths in governance also limited the aspiration of the group.
He noted that asking for a percentage amounted to self-limitation, considering that youths had all that is required to govern, especially the numerical strength to get to the highest office in the land.
“The youths have no limit in terms of number and capacity to lead this country to greatness.
“The only limit is that for youths to contest as president, they need to be 40.
“If Gen. Yakubu Gowon was able to rule this country at 32, there is no reason why the youths should not be given the chance.
“So, don’t ask for percent because by that request you are limiting yourselves.
“I think what the youth should do now is to come together and I will support you, and take a bill to the National Assembly to amend some discriminatory provisions of the constitution in terms of age,’’ Jonathan stated.
He pledged the continued support of his administration to youths through policies and programmes that would continue to harness their huge potential for national development.
He said through schemes such as YouWin, SURE-P, Graduate Internship Scheme and the Community Service Programme, his administration would continue to create opportunities for young people.
He stated that youths deserve encouragement because they were the ones winning laurels and making the country proud in sports and other international competitions.
“These programmes and many more we are doing to make sure we give opportunities to our young people because we appreciate the young people; they have made this country proud.
“I always say that whenever you read newspapers, watch television or listen to the radio, those who preach hate, quarrel and try to divide us on the basis of ethnicity and religion are not the young people but grandfathers.
“The youths live with whomever they are comfortable with regardless of ethnic or religious affiliation; they want to marry whomever they love.
“They are not like those old people who are disturbing us, who want to divide us based on religion and all kinds of sentiments.
“But listening to you here gives me hope that this country is beginning to change, and it is changing for the better,’’ Jonathan said.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/jonathan-advocates-removal-of-age-limit-for-youths/

PHOTO: President Jonathan at the first Nigerian Young Professionals International Summit in Abuja

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by ceo4eva: 5:11pm On Aug 09, 2014
Participants at 1st Nigerian Young
Professionals International Summit in Abuja.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by ceo4eva: 5:12pm On Aug 09, 2014
Chairman NYPF Mr. Moses Siasa,
Coordinating Minister of the Economy Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and President Jonathan at the 1st Nigerian Young Professionals International Summit in Abuja

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by ceo4eva: 5:13pm On Aug 09, 2014
L-R: FCT Minister Sen. Bala
Mohammed, Coordinating Minister of the Economy Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Governor Yero of Kaduna State and President Jonathan at 1st Nigerian Young Professionals International Summit in Abuja

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by iamodenigbo1(m): 5:14pm On Aug 09, 2014
were are the young men?,

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by DickDastardly(m): 5:15pm On Aug 09, 2014
Is that why they call him President Jonathan

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by ceo4eva: 5:17pm On Aug 09, 2014
iamodenigbo1: were are the young men?,
Professionals International Summit in Abuja

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by iamodenigbo1(m): 5:20pm On Aug 09, 2014
ceo4eva:
Professionals International Summit in Abuja
were are in in the pix,or are you not a young man?
Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by ceo4eva: 5:32pm On Aug 09, 2014
iamodenigbo1: were are in in the pix,or are you not a young man?
Read meaning into what I wrote.
Nigerian Young Professionals International Summit. What's your own definition of a young professional? Is it that hard to comprehend?

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by iamodenigbo1(m): 5:40pm On Aug 09, 2014
grin
ceo4eva:
Nigerian Young Professionals International Summit. What's your own definition of a young professional? Is it that hard to comprehend?
am sory,didn't understand that you are not a young professional but just ordinary youth,thank you grin
ceo4eva:
am sory,didn't understand that you are not a young professional but just ordinary youth,thank you
Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by AdeniyiA(m): 5:44pm On Aug 09, 2014
iamodenigbo1: ;Dam sory,didn't understand that you are not a young professional but just ordinary youth,thank you grin
troubleshooter cheesy
Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by ceo4eva: 5:48pm On Aug 09, 2014
iamodenigbo1: ;Dam sory,didn't understand that you are not a young professional but just ordinary youth,thank you ;Dam sory,didn't understand that you are not a young professional but just ordinary youth,thank you
U're only looking for cheap attention. I'm done with you. Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by JECBOSS: 5:52pm On Aug 09, 2014
ceo4eva:
You shouldn't have wasted ur time replying him. He is a product of d rot in our educational system.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by Princess2be(f): 6:06pm On Aug 09, 2014
@ OP, Were the participants tested for Ebola virus? lol

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by iamodenigbo1(m): 6:30pm On Aug 09, 2014
ceo4eva:
U're only looking for cheap attention. I'm done with you. Cheers!

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by iamodenigbo1(m): 6:34pm On Aug 09, 2014
JECBOSS:
You shouldn't have wasted ur time replying him. He is a product of d rot in our educational system.
boy don't dare me Pls o am having my fun

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by osifred(m): 7:40pm On Aug 09, 2014
I'm sure he will do well in this regard.
Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by ceo4eva: 2:09am On Aug 10, 2014
Princess2be: @ OP, Were the participants tested for Ebola virus? lol
LOL..
Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by ceo4eva: 2:19am On Aug 10, 2014
Lovely Performance by the bright Teenage Entertainer at the 1st Nigerian Young Professionals International Summit in Abuja

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by NIGERIALOLoCOM(m): 2:28am On Aug 10, 2014
Very encouraging. Kudos GEJ! But how many youths did you nominate to the about to be concluded National Confab?

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by Garrithe1st: 3:00am On Aug 10, 2014
Idiotic Jona-daft, same young folks whose future he is destroying with his greed and senselessness..

undecided
Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by omenka(m): 3:31am On Aug 10, 2014
ceo4eva: Lovely Performance by the bright
Teenage Entertainer at the 1st Nigerian Young Professionals International Summit in Abuja
I love this particular pic. Kid looks like he knows exactly what he's doing. smiley

There's something about the way the president poses for pictures, especially as regards how he positions his hands, that really sets me off. Makes him look errrrm lipsrsealed
Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by mrking3(m): 3:42am On Aug 10, 2014
[color=#000099][/color]
osifred: Am sure he will do well in this regard.
I AM or better still I'm ....it seems we need more English lessons here on Nairaland .. Smh!
Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by JECBOSS: 4:25am On Aug 10, 2014
Some illiterates here are insulting Mr President without reading the news.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by JECBOSS: 5:15am On Aug 10, 2014
iamodenigbo1: boy don't dare me Pls o am having my fun
So U enjoy having fun in ignorance? U need to be more serious with ur studies. Ur grasp of English is too poor! SMH
Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by size38: 7:04am On Aug 10, 2014
Story! Story!! Story!!! Nigerian Politicians will say one thing and do another thing. Eg, how old was Bamanga Tukur when GEJ made him PDP chairman and later send him to head Rail sector? How old are majority of those GEJ nominated for National conference? Men and women who have already destroyed this nation b4 some of where born. Instead of Vibrant young Nigerians who would have strengthened the nation by doing away with the kind of divisive politics played by the older generations. GEJ is a liar.
Re: President Jonathan Wants Constitutional Age Limit for Presidency Removed by iamodenigbo1(m): 7:52am On Aug 10, 2014
JECBOSS:
So U enjoy having fun in ignorance? U need to be more serious with ur studies. Ur grasp of English is too poor! SMH
thank you sir,I don't bandy words with kids,I will let it pass cause am not your mate

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan Also Carries Bag Of Rice / Nigerian Becomes First Black Woman To Graduate With A First Class Degree From Th / ISIS Fighters 'have Contracted Ebola': WHO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.