Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,825 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence (6747 Views)

How To Spot A Bad Girl In Church (photo) / Anglicans Give GEJ 'Award Of Excellence In Christian Stewardship' / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by AkinEgba: 9:55pm On Aug 11, 2014
customized13: me? Raised in abeokuta? U must be joking, I have only been to abeokuta thrice, its ijebu-ode and shagamu I know very well cheesy cheesy cheesy

The idiotic Yoruba midget is mistaking you for me. Tells a lot about how unsmart he is, no?

2 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Evergreeen123: 9:55pm On Aug 11, 2014
Anago90 ati Omerta,

ejo ema da awon were awon omo olori pelebe yen lohun mo

5 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 11, 2014
anago90:

who cares go tell your stories to the birds... shofodanu omo abi pa abe. omo ti o ye ki iya ti fi she ikan osu danu.
I will insult you in ijebu "omo radarada ri wo wa, si mi so fo wipe aye re so ti pa okuta, so ma ri iran wo ni threadi yii, ashiere ri wo wa. cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Evergreeen123: 9:57pm On Aug 11, 2014
O

2 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
[size=38pt]
AkinEgba:

1. Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan Over Student Preacher-PM News, Lagos

2. In Oyo, father allegedly kills daughter, attacks pastor, others for converting to Christianity

3. Yoruba Christians and Muslims fight in Osun over Uniform and head gear

4. Osun schools segregate based on religious affiliations

Yorubas are cone-headed, self-denying dingbats
[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 11, 2014
[size=38pt]
AkinEgba: + two Yoruba muslims kill British soldier in Allah's name.

Yeah! That is religious tolerance grin grin grin grin
[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 11, 2014

1 Like

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 11, 2014
ChrisOD: Screenshot of Igboville. If you are not a member you can register (Igbos only) so you can have access.

Oh my, you people are so clannish! shocked

1 Like

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 11, 2014
ChrisOD:

You have no clue what you are saying. All that glitters is not gold. You want me to recount how many times I was discriminated against in Ibadan?

Rubbish, complete rubbish. Are you the only ibo in ibadan. why the hell cant you people be sincere for once in your life? And i thought you were decent, this is why i'm having a rethink about you people in real life.

1 Like

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Yeske2(m): 10:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
New to me o,why formenting trouble where there is non. I was in Awka Sunday for a child dediction in a Catholic church but i'm Anglican so what's the fuss? Whoever wrote this is a clown. Why are we not Killing ourselves because of it.

2 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Yeske2(m): 10:59pm On Aug 11, 2014
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:34am On Aug 12, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: Religious tolerance is strange among Igbo of even the christian faith. You can imagine Peter Obi f00lishly saying a Catholic should take over from him for continuity.

When did Obi say this?
I want a proof,asap.
Is it the same Obi that built both Anglican and Catholic nursing schools?
Give me a proof!

4 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:38am On Aug 12, 2014
Yeske2: New to me o,why formenting trouble where there is non. I was in Awka Sunday for a child dediction in a Catholic church but i'm Anglican so what's the fuss? Whoever wrote this is a clown. Why are we not Killing ourselves because of it.

My brother,I tire ooo.
We have been living side by side with Anglican and Pentecostal for ages and we never fought each other. Quite alright,everybody believe their denomination is the best but we never had religious violence in Anambra.

4 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:51am On Aug 12, 2014
I understand your sisters frustration but remember its a Catholic school which was built and funded by them and this forthrightly give them an edge over you. I dont support discrimination but but Catholic should get their quotas. Like 80% of the student should be Catholics while the rest to to other denomination. Its our school and we built it with our money. If you dont like what we are doing build your own and run it the way you like.

3 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 1:57am On Aug 12, 2014
OdenigboAroli: I understand your sisters frustration but remember its a Catholic school which was built and funded by them and this forthrightly give them an edge over you. I dont support discrimination but but Catholic should get their quotas. Like 80% of the student should be Catholics while the rest to to other denomination. Its our school and we built it with our money. If you dont like what we are doing build your own and run it the way you like.

chikena!!
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:26am On Aug 12, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

When did Obi say this?
I want a proof,asap.
Is it the same Obi that built both Anglican and Catholic nursing schools?
Give me a proof!
Google is your friend.
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:30am On Aug 12, 2014
AkinEgba:

1. Muslim Students Paralyse University Of Ibadan Over Student Preacher-PM News, Lagos

2. In Oyo, father allegedly kills daughter, attacks pastor, others for converting to Christianity

3. Yoruba Christians and Muslims fight in Osun over Uniform and head gear

4. Osun schools segregate based on religious affiliations

https://www.nairaland.com/1853308/debunking-over-rated-religious-tolerance-claim
Yorubas are cone-headed, self-denying dingbats
In Niger State an Igbo pastor wanted to kill his daughter for converting to Islam.
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:34am On Aug 12, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Google is your friend.

You have no shame.
Lying is your second nature and it bothers you not because you have no integrity.
How can you make a claims without proof?
Do you know what Obi has done for the Anglicans in Anambra?
How can you be so wicked?
Do you even have conscience?

3 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:39am On Aug 12, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

You have no shame.
Lying is your second nature and it bothers you not because you have no integrity.
How can you make a claims without proof?
Do you know what Obi has done for the Anglicans in Anambra?
How can you be so wicked?
Do you even have conscience?
Ol boy google it.
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 12, 2014
This is strange o. Its strange that a Catholic school will practise such discrimination. I was privileged to attend a Catholic owned(and famous) High School in Lagos. I am non Catholic, didn't know anyone but merit things. Competition was fierce but no discrimination. All thru my school days we weren't asked to recite any catholic incantation whether on Assembly ground or in classroom. Evryone was allowed to practise their faith including muslims. My secondary schl shaped my mind and made promoted unity and religious tolerance. I am proud of the church in that resect. The article of the OP is strange, is it because it is d east?
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 12, 2014
OdenigboAroli: I understand your sisters frustration but remember its a Catholic school which was built and funded by them and this forthrightly give them an edge over you. I dont support discrimination but but Catholic should get their quotas. Like 80% of the student should be Catholics while the rest to to other denomination. Its our school and we built it with our money. If you dont like what we are doing build your own and run it the way you like.
is this what you will tell your kids?
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by dukum: 7:58am On Aug 12, 2014
lakhadimar: ... And i am sure you are aware that the Ibadan-Lagos road within the Ogun state axis has the presence of the Redeemed christian church, MFM, Deeper life, Foursquare and NASFAT which is a moslem organisation.

Is it possible for a mosque and a church to be on the same street/road anywhere in iboland or hausaland? The only place wherein you can find such i:e a mosque and a church on the same street, is in Yorubaland. The Yorubas are tolerant
Dnt be quick to say things u dnt knw......in niger state i have seen churches opposite mosques. Get your facts ryt.

1 Like

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by rolchi(m): 8:06am On Aug 12, 2014
lakhadimar: ... And i am sure you are aware that the Ibadan-Lagos road within the Ogun state axis has the presence of the Redeemed christian church, MFM, Deeper life, Foursquare and NASFAT which is a moslem organisation.

Is it possible for a mosque and a church to be on the same street/road anywhere in iboland or hausaland? The only place wherein you can find such i:e a mosque and a church on the same street, is in Yorubaland. The Yorubas are tolerant

In Bonny Island, a Church and a Mosque share a Fence and club directly opposite! Southerners are tolerant too!
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by dukum: 8:10am On Aug 12, 2014
ChrisOD: If Igbo get Biafra, could there be Christian religious crises? If so, can you guess who the cause might be?

My own analysis of the situation is that there will continue to be pockets of minor Christian religious animosities in Igboland that may affect specific Igbo communities, but it will not be elevated to the level that will threaten the Igbo nation at large because we do not have a history of large-scale religion-motivated societal unrest in Igboland. However, signals emanating from the Catholic and Anglican churches in Igboland are indicating that both are mutually quite intolerant of each other. They should thread carefully, keeping in mind what the intolerance by Islam of other religions is causing globally today.

Even within the Catholic community there seem not to be perfect peace. For example, does any of you remember a few years ago when the Catholic Church in Mbaise, Imo State rose stoutly against the appointment of an Anambra Bishop in their Diocese? The last I know about that issue, it took the Pope from far away Rome to calm frayed nerves and resolve the matter.

Now, this quoted piece below is quite worrisome. I agree I cannot vouch for its authenticity. I just copied it verbatim from a facebook page. So there could be a little bit of sentiments and embellishments here and there in the story. But given the extent to which Catholics have given indications of discrimination even against themselves, I will not be surprised if it turns out to be factual that the lady in question was not selected based on her not being Catholic. Who knows what else is happening in the unseen closet of Catholism versus other Anglicanism in Igboland?
====================================================

There are over 450 responses on the story, but because it is from a closed facebook group (Igboville) non-members may not be able to access and read them. I do not have the time to copy them here.

Oga op i served in a catholic school at enugu,trust me when i say this,they were pips of all denomination even muslims.if being a catholic gives you a few points in gaining admission to a catholic school i dnt see how thats an issue.people they do well for test Bleep up for interview abi u so say catchment area thingy na discrimination too or giving higher slots to indigenes of a community for jobs present in their community?
#if u find fault u must see fault tongue

2 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:07am On Aug 12, 2014
barcanista: is this what you will tell your kids?

Arent you one of those people that is saying yorubas should be respected in their lands ?
Even though,they never gave free lands to anybody,yet they want to be babaloja in a market where they dont own a pin....lol
Now,the Catholic,through her members have labored to build schools all over the nation without the help of non Catholic but soon as the schools are ready you want to come and rip where you didnt sow. Guy,get a life.

3 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by aryzgreat: 10:19am On Aug 12, 2014
Yeske2: New to me o,why formenting trouble where there is non. I was in Awka Sunday for a child dediction in a Catholic church but i'm Anglican so what's the fuss? Whoever wrote this is a clown. Why are we not Killing ourselves because of it.

yolobas have been trying to no avail to break igbo unity.

imagine fools saying anambra guber election was Catholic vs Anglican one, when the contenders are all Catholics.

phools trying to create unnecessary division. my sisters all married Anglicans but we are Catholics. Has there been any Catholic vs Anglican war recorded in the east compared to many Yoruba Muslims vs masquerade clashes, Baptist vs hijab clash in their school in osun

3 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by mapet: 5:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
My brother,

1. You don't need a long epistle to rationalize this. Besides lots of contributions here are simply ridiculous.
2. I think we take things too far. From the limited balance of the OP's story, it is clear that the issue is not clearly reported.

3. The Catholic Church may hold the prerogative of giving more slots to their folks, which is logical and you can't begrudge them for that. Besides we don't even know if the said sister came up short I other aspects of the interview. That she came first in stage 1 does not automatically mean she will be first all through.

Btw I'm Anglican.

9jalyte: I hope this doesn't turn to irrational war. I want to make these comments, cus I think it is time for people to start acting in the right direction.

First I am a Catholic, I am also one of the few people who believe that church and indeed religion should be put to check. Concerning this issue raised, I will say outright that it is very wrong for the school administration to adopt such discriminatory position, which is not typical of catholic institutions. As long as they did not initially define the program as strictly for Catholics, they should have left the benches on a level ground.

That being said, I want also to point out some facts. in most institutions, especially international institutions, the admissions are made not only on scores, rather, they can say out of the 100%, 30% is on grades, 20 on motivation, 20 0n references, 20 on extra-curricular skills, 10 on publications. Even if you have all the 30% scores on grades, if you score low in the others, someone with lower score will get the chance. Why I said this is that the fellow in question may be right that she performed well in the questions, it may be that the school policy is the being a catholic has a mark, and why should anyone complain about it. Wrong as it may be I rather think that this is supposed to challenge the other religious bodies to venture into human capacity development, at least the Catholics have tried in that area.

I was telling my friend that since the missionaries left the church in the hands of Nigerians, we have been experiencing a lot of retrogression in true faith development. If you may recall, in fact the Anglicans performed wonderfully in human development better than the Catholics to an extent, cus the anglicans where the first to push their followers beyond college. The Catholics were doing massive education but limited most of the early educated ones to teaching jobs at PTC, or TTC. When they founders left, our clergy saw the church as their vine yard and forgot about the developmental aspect of evangelism. It is even the Catholics that to a large extent are still committed to development. Eg, search for the contributions of catholic relief services in the fight against HIV in Africa, in Nigeria search for the Catholic Caritas organization. These organizations employ everybody not minding the creed, which you will hardly see in other religious organizations.
bottom line is this, each month you are asked to pay tithe, please talk to your religious institutions to stop building towers of babel and invest in the human church. By the way, even abroad you will confirm what I am saying, if you check the scholarship bodies in Germany, one is catholic and one other is either Presbyterian. surprisingly, the catholic scholarship considers non-Catholics, but the other insisted that it is only for the members. so ...
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 1:49am On Aug 13, 2014
But the northern muslim still refer to you as Infidels!

lakhadimar: There are more churches in Yorubaland than they are anywhere else in Nigeria.

The Yorubas arent bigoted and religiously intolerant like you ibos and hausas.

The redemeed christian church just concluded their convention recently, it was the largest christian gathering in Africa and the venue was at the redeemed camp in Ogun state, Yorubaland. The Osun Osogbo festival will commence next week and as expected, its going to be the largest gathering of African Traditional believers; the venue would be at Osogbo, Osun state, Yorubaland.

When it comes to Religious tolerance, you have to give it to the yorubas
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 2:01am On Aug 13, 2014
So he is not south south (delta) anymore but Igbo? Smh
If a south south man does something wrong,he is Igbo if he does it right,he can never be Igbo. Inferirity complex but the Igbos remain giants and will continue to dominate besides he never wanted to kill her... The Emir didn't allow the man see his daughter,he was furious and called on CAN and Nigerians for help,if you were a father won't you do same or even worse?

OrlandoOwoh:
In Niger State an Igbo pastor wanted to kill his daughter for converting to Islam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Strange Tales From The Mortuary / I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith / Leaked Chat Between An Uyo Based Pastor And A Female Church Member (Updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.