Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,234 members, 7,825,904 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria (2086 Views)

Lack Of Electricity Has Helped In Creating Jobs(pics) / FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn / FG Will Stabilise Price Of Rice By April-Ogbeh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Vado(m): 12:55am On Aug 12, 2014
Experimental Ebola drug which has helped stabilise US doctor is sent to Nigeria
Posted By TheScoop on August 11, 2014

inShare

Bloomberg news is reporting that the Ebola drug which has been given already to two Americans and a Spanish priest and which has helped stabilise them, has been sent to a West African country that requested it. That country is believed to be Nigeria. Now, according to the manufacturer of the drug, Mapp Biopharmaceutical Inc., the supply of the drug called ZMapp is now exhausted.

Mapp Biopharmaceutical Inc. disclosed that it was told by U.S. health officials that the West African countries which were demanding for the drug were Nigeria and Liberia.

According to the company, all requests forwarded to it as regards supply of the drugs has been complied with, and at no cost so long as such a request was backed by legal and regulatory authorities. It said it provided the drug at no cost.

The problem is that the drug is just an experimental one that has not even been properly tested on animals or humans, leading many to question the ethics of the move and how patients could be monitored in the long term, in the event that they are negatively affected by the drug.

“It is our understanding that all patients offered treatment, treated, or expected to be treated were or are highly capable of providing informed consent for the use of an experimental drug not yet evaluated for safety in animals or people,” the company said in a statement.

The additional patients allocated the drug include medical doctors in two West African countries as well as the Americans and the Spanish priest.

The company said that it is working to quickly increase production of the drug.

“Additional resources are being brought to bear on scaling up,” the company said. “The emergency use of an experimental medicine is a highly unusual situation.”

Source: http://www.thescoopng.com/experimental-ebola-drug-helped-stabilise-us-doctor-sent-nigeria/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=experimental-ebola-drug-helped-stabilise-us-doctor-sent-nigeria

I hope this news is solid. Good to know the manufacturer gave the serum out at no financial cost. The health ministry should fill us in with more details.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:00am On Aug 12, 2014
i dnt want to believe yet....

**fingers crossed..waiting to see how this script play out**

i just hope we get there....!

dnt asktongue
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Hourglass4real: 1:43am On Aug 12, 2014
I pray this is true...I hav been imagining what thos infected and their families must be going through. Atleast with this serum there's hope. Curing those few that tested positiv will eradicate it from our populous nation
This is a wondrful news...ZMapp una welldone o,at no cost too. Thank you Lord

1 Like

Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Dreal1247: 1:45am On Aug 12, 2014
Victory at last. What is good for the goose is equally good for the gander
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by ayukdaboss(m): 1:53am On Aug 12, 2014
Good news...Patiently waiting for our first gay marriages lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:55am On Aug 12, 2014
I suspect zmapp has some weird side effects
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by ROCKJ1(m): 3:02am On Aug 12, 2014
We don't mind side effects.... we need life for now.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by uken73(m): 3:05am On Aug 12, 2014
Another story has it that it was actually sent to Liberia.

https://www.nairaland.com/1853624/experimental-ebola-drug-zmapp-way
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by pussyeater(m): 3:09am On Aug 12, 2014
And some Ediots. will prefer Russia to have World power! Why can't Russia save dem ? Awon weyrey jatijati

5 Likes

Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:13am On Aug 12, 2014
expect it to be HOARDED!

1 Like

Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by mrofficial(m): 3:13am On Aug 12, 2014
Now they are in for the money. Time to sell drugs to Africans grin grin grin
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 3:15am On Aug 12, 2014
The drug is sent to Liberia not Nigeria. The article you posted said Nigeria requested. I did not see where it said it was sent to Nigeria.

Liberia says its doctors will get experimental Ebola drug thus far only given to Westerners
http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2014/08/11/spanish-ebola-patient-gets-experimental-drug
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 3:16am On Aug 12, 2014
mrofficial: Now they are in for the money. Time to sell drugs to Africans grin grin grin
As long as lives are saved and the outbreak is curtailed.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:51am On Aug 12, 2014
OP, please post from a more credible website. That website looks dodgy, you know the type trying to draw traffic.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by gebest: 4:09am On Aug 12, 2014
Liberia is enjoying from their colonian master 'USA', what about Naija an't we going to enjoy from our colonian master too 'British'?
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by DONMAYOR19(m): 4:25am On Aug 12, 2014
ayukdaboss: Good news...Patiently waiting for our first gay marriages lipsrsealed
haterz hating American since 1700.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Kalvan1000: 5:00am On Aug 12, 2014
pussyeater: And some Ediots. will prefer Russia to have World power! Why can't Russia save dem ? Awon weyrey jatijati

Don't mind the ingrates. The anti Americans will come and start screaming about conspiracies.

1 Like

Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Vado(m): 5:30am On Aug 12, 2014
saxywale: OP, please post from a more credible website. That website looks dodgy, you know the type trying to draw traffic.

You could see I was a bit skepical too, reason why I said it's important the health ministry clarify this information. I saw the news on twitter.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by madamoringo(f): 5:51am On Aug 12, 2014
pussyeater: And some Ediots. will prefer Russia to have World power! Why can't Russia save dem ? Awon weyrey jatijati

And you should know most of those people are the iboelas of Nigeria! In fact, I see some of them like kettykin saying that Russians and the British and not Nigeria beat them down some 40 + years ago, yet the praise the same Russians where blacks are routinely killed by racists and does nothing! Well they are sufferheads anyway.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by HopeAtHand: 6:13am On Aug 12, 2014
People need to alive first before longtime adverse effects are noticed.

I pray it turns out well for the ebola patients.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by hungryboy(m): 6:34am On Aug 12, 2014
no be say, drug go come cure u ebola give u hiv oh
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by omenka(m): 6:48am On Aug 12, 2014
Why do I get this feeling this wouldn't be exactly thesame drugs that were given those white men

Call me a cynic or a conspiracy theorist, I get this queer feeling what is coming in is a modified version that could be used to genetically modify Africans perhaps make us dumber and perpetually under the thumb of the white man!!

Give it to a single member of the population of the species and have it spread throughout the population over the years!! Engineer it in such a manner it doesn't interact in thesame manner with the genes of whites.

As we keep begging for handouts from they, we should stop complaining when they try to shovel their policies (gay rights, etc) down our throats!!

Until our domestic scientists sit up and start creating home grown solutions to our problems, we would forever remain at the mercy of the Americans and Europeans! Only Africans themselves can have their own best interest at heart!! Anything else and what you get is a solution with a concealed bigger problem!!!

God help us.

1 Like

Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by amakufrancis(m): 6:52am On Aug 12, 2014
US thanks, at last . .hope d news z true sha.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by priscaoge(f): 7:17am On Aug 12, 2014
mrofficial: Now they are in for the money. Time to sell drugs to Africans grin grin grin
We don't mind How much they make in Africa, what we need is remedy to this wicked Ebola angry
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by kheart(m): 7:34am On Aug 12, 2014
This news is fake cos it was liberia and not Nigeria.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Eldavido1: 8:34am On Aug 12, 2014
That possibly explain the significant improvement in the health condition of the Nigerian ebola patients. But we should go into more research in finding our own local remedies.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by Philipmems(m): 11:21am On Aug 12, 2014
Hmmm... Interesting.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by ElFenomeno1: 11:23am On Aug 12, 2014
Nonsense..... The world knows the drugs are being sent to only one African nation as things stand, and that is Sierra Leone.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by asadike(f): 3:45pm On Aug 12, 2014
i pray they send it to us and i pray it works.
Re: Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria by mrofficial(m): 5:55pm On Aug 12, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: As long as lives are saved and the outbreak is curtailed.

Of course, that was the plan, lives shall be saved. What did you think? Who will buy the drugs if it doesn't save life? wink

(1) (Reply)

I Commend The Mods For Their Great Job / Jonathan Commissions Phase I Benin-ore Road / Today, Nov 17th 1993 Gen Sani Abacha Leads A Military Coup To Overthrow Shonekan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.