Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,053 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Why Are You An Atheist? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are You An Atheist? (14555 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 8:56pm On Aug 16, 2014
mazaje:

Our brother keeps shouting that energy is god. . God as in what?. . .What do they mean by consciousness is god?. . .What is god to the pantheist?. . .

God is a label that pantheists use to ascribe the divine to anything they want.

If they want consciousness to be divine, they claim "God is the sum total of consciousness"
If they want the universe to be divine, the claim "God is the sum total of everything"
If they want energy to be divine, they claim "God is all energy"

It is the second and third statements that get me. God is everything and God is energy.....Well, that means that God is in sheit.......yes there is chemical energy from sheit (faeces).
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:07pm On Aug 16, 2014
mazaje:

Just to make it clear, atheism is against theism not pantheism. . .Pantheism and theism are not the same(you wrongly assume they are the same). . .atheism has nothing against pantheism but theism. . .You seem to be the one that is confused bro. . .

Atheism is about theos (greek) which mean God; and atheism from it root mean 'no God'. Pantheism has to do with God while atheism is the disbelieve in God.

In panthiesm, atheism makes no sense. . . .that is what you said.

If atheist cant define his God and separate it from pantheism, it is no more making sense.

Also, if atheism disbelieve in one God with the exception of one God, it is no more atheism. . . .but confusion.

Actually you took double role. . . .no sense at all and confused.

And why did you ignore my question in the previous post?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 9:19pm On Aug 16, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

God is a label that pantheists use to ascribe the divine to anything they want.

If they want consciousness to be divine, they claim "God is the sum total of consciousness"
If they want the universe to be divine, the claim "God is the sum total of everything"
If they want energy to be divine, they claim "God is all energy"

It is the second and third statements that get me. God is everything and God is energy.....Well, that means that God is in sheit.......yes there is chemical energy from sheit (faeces).

Sure, to the pantheists the body of a decomposing rat is god since there is chemical energy and activity going on in the decomposing body of a rat. . .God is everything means god is nothing. . .
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 9:22pm On Aug 16, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Atheism is about theos (greek) which mean God; and atheism from it root mean 'no God'. Pantheism has to do with God while atheism is the disbelieve in God.

In panthiesm, atheism makes no sense. . . .that is what you said.

If atheist cant define his God and separate it from pantheism, it is no more making sense.

Also, if atheism disbelieve in one God with the exception of one God, it is no more atheism. . . .but confusion.

Actually you took double role. . . .no sense at all and confused.

And why did you ignore my question in the previous post?

Pantheism has to do with everything. . If you say the universe is god then you are talking about everything. . .The universe isn't a single entity but the sum total of everything including your urine. . .God in pantheism has no real meaning. . .Atheism only applies to theism because theism has a well defined god and places a role for it. . .In pantheism god has no defined role and means nothing. anything can be god with no clear meaning or role. . When you say your urine is god(in pantheism urine is god) what am i to do with that?. . .
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:56pm On Aug 16, 2014
mazaje:

Pantheism has to do with everything. . If you say the universe is god then you are talking about everything. . .The universe isn't a single entity but the sum today of everything including your urine. . .God in pantheism has no real meaning. . .Atheism only applies to theism because theism has a well defined god and places a role for it. . .In pantheism god has no defined role and means nothing. anything can be god with no clear meaning or role. . When you say your urine is god(in pantheism urine is god) what am i to do with that?. . .

Drink it when it is purified naturally or artificially.

Urine is one of the manifestation of Yemoja.

Atheism , theism and pantheism is centered round Theos (god). . . .

Theism is a believe of at least a God. It doesnot involve how many and cares not how God is defined.

Pantheism is believe in God defined as the universe.

Atheism, disbelieve in God (no God whatever even it pantheist or theist. . . .logicboy confirmed this).

Mazaje, atheism makes no sense when God is defined (pantheistically).

Mazaje also confused (do not know where atheism covers . . . .either monotheism only all all-theism).

And Goodnight

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by krayzieklay(m): 11:09pm On Aug 16, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

The bold is actually what I wanted to pick out.

And can we conclude definition of atheism should be disbelieve in monothiestic and deistic concept of God/gods with the exception of polytheistic, pantheistic, Animism, Autotheism, Pandeism, or Panentheism conception of God/god ?? (the one milla question lol)

From my observation, most claiming to be an atheist here are anti-theism and anti- (organise) religion group, dystheist or maltheist. This is the reason why I said most of them are confused.

And again, like muskeeto would say, disbelieve in christian or muslim God does not make one an atheist. No need bringing another fight pls. . . .I will let this slide.

Many things are not adding up with what atheism stand for. I very sure you know this and pls just tighten it to your belt, I go tie you down with that in another time.

Not to derail, enjoy man.

Bro I think u are d one confused here. In short,between a maze and ur gibberish, I really don't know which iz more confusing ( lemme go with the latter jare). If we were to go with ur explanation on this so called pantheism,dat means there are no atheists then. Come to think of it,are u telling me dat peeps like Galileo, Epicurus were confused too? Coz as far as I know,I don't think they had an idea wat pantheism meant.

The funny thing is u still call urself spiritual atheist.. Ur confusion no get duplicate,sir.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by davien(m): 11:28pm On Aug 16, 2014
hmmmm,my story...
I wanted to know if what was forced down my throat was true....and it utterly wasn't... that's all it took....I watched the atheist experience show on YouTube and also watched some evidences for god....the something from nothing argument held me in theism for a while till I realized "nothing" is undefined...to state a nothing is improbable talk Less of something emerging from the undefined nothing and then when "nothing" is defined it becomes a something, conundrum :-) what was before everything is also improbable because space is what permits physical phenomena...so so many intriguing topics led me to atheism...although I still respect those who hold beliefs who will admittedly use logic and reason to examine themselves....

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 2:58am On Aug 17, 2014
mazaje:

Sure, to the pantheists the body of a decomposing rat is god since there is chemical energy and activity going on in the decomposing body of a rat. . .God is everything means god is nothing. . .
God is MIND, with HIM We know everything and without it we know nothing.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 3:06am On Aug 17, 2014
UyiIredia: God is MIND, with HIM We know everything and without it we know nothing.

Mind has no tangible existence. It is a function of the brain.

Stop babbling crap
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 3:17am On Aug 17, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Mind has no tangible existence. It is a function of the brain.

Stop babbling crap
ill catch u later.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:11am On Aug 17, 2014
krayzieklay:

Bro I think u are d one confused here. In short,between a maze and ur gibberish, I really don't know which iz more confusing ( lemme go with the latter jare). If we were to go with ur explanation on this so called pantheism,dat means there are no atheists then. Come to think of it,are u telling me dat peeps like Galileo, Epicurus were confused too? Coz as far as I know,I don't think they had an idea wat pantheism meant.

The funny thing is u still call urself spiritual atheist.. Ur confusion no get duplicate,sir.

Guy you are not making any sense here. If you do not understand something, you can ask questions rather giving me baseless tantrum as a reply.

I dont care who the great thinker you listed are. We also have great thinkers who are theist. So will you tell me they are stuupid like you and dont know the other side is?

Dude we are battling with pantheism concept of God and all ya are falling over each other. The mighty one has declared that atheism makes no sense when God is defined pantheistically. Other atheist have accepted they worship God (Orisha) while the wise one are changing ground (we now have pantheist atheist on board). It is only foolish good for not goon who think disbelieve in the existence of christian and islam God makes you an atheist.

What if I bring in Einstein view of God through Spinoza conception? Ya all are still shaking with panthiesm. . . . .what if I bring in polytheism?

Atheism makes no sense. It is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs which basically suppose to be irreligious or anti-theism in reality.

Oh no need wasting your time, you have agreed that your co-atheist in person of mazaje is confused. What more can I say of someone that is trying haed to look intelligent so turns to atheism?

And if you dont know what Spiritual atheism is, kindly google instead of making fool of yourself.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 7:41am On Aug 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Drink it when it is purified naturally or artificially.

Urine is one of the manifestation of Yemoja.

Atheism , theism and pantheism is centered round Theos (god). . . .

Theism is a believe of at least a God. It doesnot involve how many and cares not how God is defined.

Pantheism is believe in God defined as the universe.

Atheism, disbelieve in God (no God whatever even it pantheist or theist. . . .logicboy confirmed this).

Mazaje, atheism makes no sense when God is defined (pantheistically).

Mazaje also confused (do not know where atheism covers . . . .either monotheism only all all-theism).

And Goodnight

You are just all over the place my friend, atheism has nothing to do with pantheism because pantheism has no definition of god, god has no defined role in pantheism. . .Everything that exist is god to the pantheist as such atheism can not be said to go against that. . .You just don';t want to accept that just as you refused to accept the theistic definition of god, to you only what makes sense to you is what is true, you said you are an atheist but a pantheist at the same time. . .That is only possible because atheism has nothing to do with pantheism, why are you not an atheist monotheist or a polytheist but an atheistic pantheist for example?. . .Because atheism has nothing to do with pantheism since pantheism describes god as the universe it self or some other aspects of the universe with no defined roles. . .A river can be god to the pantheist, the sun can be god, sand can be god. . .When you fully define your god and how it operate then we will be able to look at it and see how true it is. . .For example if you tell me that a tree is god and the tree has the ability to protect people then we can look at that claims and see if its true or not, god under pantheism makes no sense since everything is said to be god and god has not even been defined or given any role. . .Under pantheism I am god. . What does that mean?. . .A decaying rat is god. . .My urine is god. . .My car is god. . .Your house is god. .Everything is god. . What exactly does god mean and what role does it play?. . .By the way scholars have stated that pantheism is a non religious philosophical position, so atheism which is mostly against religions theism has nothing on it. . .Pantheism is only a philosophical position and it is mostly non religious. . .Pantheism is considered by many to be a form of atheism. . .

3 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by krayzieklay(m): 8:22am On Aug 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Guy you are not making any sense here. If you do not understand something, you can ask questions rather giving me baseless tantrum as a reply.

I dont care who the great thinker you listed are. We also have great thinkers who are theist. So will you tell me they are stuupid like you and dont know the other side is?

Dude we are battling with pantheism concept of God and all ya are falling over each other. The mighty one has declared that atheism makes no sense when God is defined pantheistically. Other atheist have accepted they worship God (Orisha) while the wise one are changing ground (we now have pantheist atheist on board). It is only foolish good for not goon who think disbelieve in the existence of christian and islam God makes you an atheist.

What if I bring in Einstein view of God through Spinoza conception? Ya all are still shaking with panthiesm. . . . .what if I bring in polytheism?

Atheism makes no sense. It is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs which basically suppose to be irreligious or anti-theism in reality.

Oh no need wasting your time, you have agreed that your co-atheist in person of mazaje is confused. What more can I say of someone that is trying haed to look intelligent so turns to atheism?

And if you dont know what Spiritual atheism is, kindly google instead of making fool of yourself.

Oga,take a chill pill jor. We are not battling with any pantheism crap here. I don't think u re blind neither are u dumb to see wat the topic clearly is. Pls create a thread concerning ur pantheism and stop derailing..

P.S. Polytheism makes more sense dan d former..You should av brought that one in from day one..
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by krayzieklay(m): 8:23am On Aug 17, 2014
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by krayzieklay(m): 8:23am On Aug 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Oga,take a chill pill jor. We are not battling with any pantheism crap here. I don't think u re blind neither are u dumb to see wat the topic clearly is. Pls create a thread concerning ur pantheism and stop derailing..

P.S. Polytheism makes more sense dan d former..You should av brought that one in from day one..
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by krayzieklay(m): 8:45am On Aug 17, 2014
mazaje:

You are just all over the place my friend, atheism has nothing to do with pantheism because pantheism has no definition of god, god has no defined role in pantheism. . .Everything that exist is god to the pantheist as such atheism can not be said to go against that. . .You just don';t want to accept that just as you refused to accept the theistic definition of god, to you only what makes sense to you is what is true, you said you are an atheist but a pantheist at the same time. . .That is only possible because atheism has nothing to do with pantheism, why are you not an atheist monotheist or a polytheist but an atheistic pantheist for example?. . .Because atheism has nothing to do with pantheism since pantheism describes god as the universe it self or some other aspects of the universe with no defined roles. . .A river can be god to the pantheist, the sun can be god, sand can be god. . .When you fully define your god and how it operate then we will be able to look at it and see how true it is. . .For example if you tell me that a tree is god and the tree has the ability to protect people then we can look at that claims and see if its true or not, god under pantheism makes no sense since everything is said to be god and god has not even been defined or given any role. . .Under pantheism I am god. . What does that mean?. . .A decaying rat is god. . .My urine is god. . .My car is god. . .Your house is god. .Everything is god. . What exactly does god mean and what role does it play?. . .By the way scholars have stated that pantheism is a non religious philosophical position, so atheism which is mostly against religions theism has nothing on it. . .Pantheism is only a philosophical position and it is mostly non religious. . .Pantheism is considered by many to be a form of atheism. . .
Salute..... Atheism and Pantheism are just like brothers with same ideas but different concepts. Maybe that's y they tend to go along with each other pretty well. So for him to label himself as an atheistic pantheist is not surprising. But for him to say most atheists are confused, his brain needs to be checked.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 8:49am On Aug 17, 2014
krayzieklay:
Salute..... Atheism and Pantheism are just like brothers with same ideas but different concepts. Maybe that's y they tend to go along with each other pretty well. So for him to label himself as an atheistic pantheist is not surprising. But for him to say most atheists are confused, his brain needs to be checked.

Pantheism is sexed-up atheism according to Richard Dawkins. . . .
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 8:51am On Aug 17, 2014
mazaje:

Pantheism is sexed-up atheism according to Richard Dawkins. . . .

please, check this out
https://www.nairaland.com/1861039/atheism-death-ebola-experience
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:03am On Aug 17, 2014
mazaje:

Wont you clap for me? At least for dragling you under my feet. . . . Lol

Patheistic God have roles. They are divine and conscious. To spinoza, they have thoughts and to Einstein, they play dice. . . Lol

You wont like it bloody turn out if I bring in Naturalistic pantheism (Yoruba spirituality) into this.

Mother Earth is a greek pantheist goddess called Orisha Iyale in Yoruba has a role.

Pantheism can be pholosophical but of theological aspect. A case study is Hinduism which is pantheistic relgion and philosophy. I wouldnt start another definition battle. . . .cuz pantheism is religion and philosophy.

Mr, I am not saying thiestic definition is wrong or unacceptable, all I am saying is atheism is disbelieve in God (all conception of God). But you seem to lean only to theistic conception. In this sense, you are no more an atheist but a confused dude hanging around an identity which is not yours.. Because in other conception, you will believe in God e.g pantheistic God or spinoza's god.

Secondly, logicboy has said an atheist would disbelieve in all God (pantheism, or deism). You agreed atheism is not making sense when placed with pantheism, so in essense, are you saying Atheism is the disbelieve in monotheistic God/gods ONLY?

Egbon this what I asked of you. . . . .

Man up and answer them.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 9:26am On Aug 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Patheistic God have roles. They are divine and conscious. To spinoza, they have thoughts and to Einstein, they play dice. . . Lol

You are confused. . .How can you say the universe as a whole be god for example and then claim that some pantheistic gods have roles and are divine? Is your urine divine?. . .How do you know that? What does it mean for a urine to be divine since urine is god?. . .Is the decomposing body of a rat divine. . .The decomposing body of a rat is god, so how is it divine?. . .What do you mean by divine?. . .

You wont like it bloody turn out if I bring in Naturalistic pantheism (Yoruba spirituality) into this.

Mr, I am not saying thiestic definition is wrong or unacceptable, all I am saying is atheism is disbelieve in God (all conception of God). But you seem to lean only to theistic conception. In this sense, you are no more an atheist but a confused dude hanging around an identity which is not yours.. Because in other conception, you will believe in God e.g pantheistic God or spinoza's god.

Secondly, logicboy has said an atheist would disbelieve in all God (pantheism, or deism). You agreed atheism is not making sense when placed with pantheism, so in essense, are you saying Atheism is the disbelieve in monotheistic God/gods ONLY?

Egbon this what I asked of you. . . . .

Man up and answer them.

Atheism only applies to theism and not pantheism because pantheism as stated by many scholars is a form of atheism. . .Pantheistic religions like janism for example is called an atheistic religion. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism
As a religious position, pantheism has been described as the polar opposite of atheism.[4] From this standpoint, pantheism is the view that everything that exist is part of an all-encompassing, immanent God.[1] All forms of reality may then be considered either modes of that Being, or identical with it.[6] Other scholars hold that pantheism is a philosophical position closely related to atheism. To them, pantheism is the view that the Universe and God are identical or the same.[7]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:30am On Aug 17, 2014
krayzieklay:

Atheism disbelieve in God.

Pantheism believe in God defined as Universe.

How is thie brothers and sisters?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 9:33am On Aug 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

You are a pantheist atheist, so how are they not brothers and sisters?. . .
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by krayzieklay(m): 9:37am On Aug 17, 2014
Naturalistic pantheist

Atheist pantheist.

Spiritual Atheist.

Aborishaeist.

Haba,Mr Folykaze! Seriously, na only u waka come?? *In Fela's voice* ' confusion breaki boneni,yeeekpa!'.... I honestly hope u find a way out of this your maze asap.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:45am On Aug 17, 2014
mazaje:

You are a pantheist atheist, so how are they not brothers and sisters?. . .

Platteon claimed to be pantheist atheist. Call him. . . .

I am a spiritual atheist.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 9:54am On Aug 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Platteon claimed to be pantheist atheist. Call him. . . .

I am a spiritual atheist.

Doesn't matter. . .There are pantheist atheist and scholars like Schopenhauer have stated that “Pantheism is only a euphemism for atheism". . .Not that I completely agree with him, but sometimes its hard to differentiate between pantheism and atheism. . .A naturalistic pantheist for example is no different from an atheist. . .
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 10:01am On Aug 17, 2014
krayzieklay: Naturalistic pantheist

Atheist pantheist.

Spiritual Atheist.

Aborishaeist.

Haba,Mr Folykaze! Seriously, na only u waka come?? *In Fela's voice* ' confusion breaki boneni,yeeekpa!'.... I honestly hope u find a way out of this your maze asap.

grin grin grin
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:08am On Aug 17, 2014
krayzieklay: Naturalistic pantheist

Yes this is same thing with spiritual atheism.

krayzieklay: Atheist pantheist.

Platteon claimed this not me

krayzieklay: Spiritual Atheist.

This is spritual atheism.

This is me

krayzieklay: Aborishaeist.

A claim by ghostofsparta

krayzieklay: Haba,Mr Folykaze! Seriously, na only u waka come?? *In Fela's voice* ' confusion breaki boneni,yeeekpa!'.... I honestly hope u find a way out of this your maze asap.

You are the one confused. Why are you taking me for three different person?

Lol. . . .I am Abamieda
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:14am On Aug 17, 2014
mazaje:

You are confused. . .How can you say the universe as a whole be god for example and then claim that some pantheistic gods have roles and are divine? Is your urine divine?. . .How do you know that? What does it mean for a urine to be divine since urine is god?. . .Is the decomposing body of a rat divine. . .The decomposing body of a rat is god, so how is it divine?. . .What do you mean by divine?. . .

Atheism only applies to theism and not pantheism because pantheism as stated by many scholars is a form of atheism. . .Pantheistic religions like janism for example is called an atheistic religion. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism
As a religious position, pantheism has been described as the polar opposite of atheism.[4] From this standpoint, pantheism is the view that everything that exist is part of an all-encompassing, immanent God.[1] All forms of reality may then be considered either modes of that Being, or identical with it.[6] Other scholars hold that pantheism is a philosophical position closely related to atheism. To them, pantheism is the view that the Universe and God are identical or the same.[7]

Do you want us to define divinity?

And all you are just saying are not adding up. I didnt say pantheism isnt pholosophical but I said it has theological philosophy aspect. The quote you provided as religion in it. You even mentioned jainism which is a religion. So why would you tell me this has nothing to do about religion?

Let that go. . . . . .can you answer those two questions for once pls? This dodging game is unacceptable.

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:22am On Aug 17, 2014
mazaje:

Doesn't matter. . .There are pantheist atheist and scholars like Schopenhauer have stated that “Pantheism is only a euphemism for atheism". . .Not that I completely agree with him, but sometimes its hard to differentiate between pantheism and atheism. . .A naturalistic pantheist for example is no different from an atheist. . .

This has been touched. I even created a sperate thread on this subject. It is not an issue.

Naturalistic pantheist is also a spiritual atheist. . . . . .and when you look at it from within, an aborisha also. Just different name.

What they do is define God as natural element and univers.

Atheism does not define what God is. . . .in essense they disbelief in all conception of God.

So are we specifically saying Atheism is a disbelief in monotheistc concept of God?

Yes : it is no more an atheism but anti-theism.

No : It is not making sense to be an atheist to pantheist God.

Hope you get me here? What do you choose?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by krayzieklay(m): 10:24am On Aug 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Very good. Like I rightly stated,they av the same ideas but diff concepts. Let me elaborate;
Ideas: Atheists and Pantheists share the same ideas that there is or there no God(s),supreme beings (Monotheism and Polytheism) out there in the sky or anywhere.. That's d reason y someone can call himself atheist pantheist.

Concepts: However, they av diff views concerning d ideas they av in common. A pantheist believes the universe is God i.e the water,sun,moon,urine,trees,bed,humans inshort everything, which is not the business of an atheist so far the pantheist is not claiming the items can perform miracles,they are supernatural beings in disguise,they will judge me when I die,they av angels e.t.c,... We the atheist just believe the universe is made up of living things and non living things. And with logic and reasoning we can use them to make d world or universe a better place.

My opinion tho.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 10:32am On Aug 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Do you want us to define divinity?

And all you are just saying are not adding up. I didnt say pantheism isnt pholosophical but I said it has theological philosophy aspect. The quote you provided as religion in it. You even mentioned jainism which is a religion. So why would you tell me this has nothing to do about religion?

Let that go. . . . . .can you answer those two questions for once pls? This dodging game is unacceptable.

You are just running around chasing your tail. atheism does not deal with pantheism because there are atheist pantheist. . .atheism deals mostly with theism and not pantheism if you do not understand that then I can not help you. . .I have shown you that some types of pantheism is actually atheism, a naturalistic pantheist is an atheist(no divine beings, the natural world is all that exist and nothing more which is be said to be god). . .The pantheistic god can be anything, it is not well defined and has no role that separates it from the natural world. . .If my car is god then how can i disbelieve that?. . .If my urine is god then how can i disbelieve that?. . .If a dead decomposing rat is god how can I disbelief that?. . .Atheism has no meaning in pantheism. That is why there are atheist pantheist and many scholars have stated that atheism and pantheism are closely related. .You are just claiming ignorance and chasing your tail insisting that atheism must be what you want it to be which is actually a delusion on your part. . .. . .
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:42am On Aug 17, 2014
I'm an atheist because the popular Jehovah's Witness publication "Awake" (I love those people's style) which I regularly read with a clear mind in my university days a few years ago introduced me to the atheist way of thinking. I find it sad most Nigerians can't even contemplate the atheist viewpoint due to simple ignorance. While the intention of those publications was to show the illogic of atheism, all they succeeded in doing was exposing its logic to me. I simply realized I was religious because my environment made me so. I simply had no spiritual faith. I tried to force myself to believe (open atheism in this ignorant nation carries a serious stigma - for many half-wits, atheism=satanism) but you can't force yourself to have faith.

Even today, there are things I find comforting about religion and it's message of eternal life and purpose. It can be easy to lapse into some kind of existential depression where you're wondering what on earth you even have to live for. But however warm and fuzzy I get from the comforting message, I can't shake the thought that it's just a fantasy.

What was also interesting was the seismic shift in my perception of so many things once I accepted I was irreligious. Suddenly,the Bible, a book I treated with such awe as the written word of God himself, became little more than a collection of fables to me. I could find faults in almost anything I laid my eyes on. grin It was like a small slip causing a massive avalanche in the mountains.

I don't see how I can ever become religious again, except I had some kind of freak, divine, personal encounter. The worst part is my parents don't know and my mum continues to invlove me in her religious activities. She'll probably have a heart attack if I told her. This is a woman that could barely stand the fact that her Catholic daughter married an Anglican. How much more if I tell her I'm atheist.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Da Vinci Code: A Lesson To Muslims / Comforting Scriptures For All Relationship Crises / We Humans Are Making The World A Sick Place, Yet We Blame God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.