Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship (2635 Views)

PDP Accuses DSS Of Interfering With Election Tribunals / APC Accuses Jonathan Of ‘last-minute Dubious Activities’ / APC Accuses DSS Of Crass Partisanship, Calls Spokesperson Unfit For Her Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 14, 2014
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has accused the
Department of State Services (DSS) of crass
partisanship and unprofessional conduct over its actions
and comments on the recent election in Osun State.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Thursday by its
National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the
party also said the spokesperson for the agency, Ms.
Marilyn Ogar, should be properly trained and given the
necessary exposure so she can speak with knowledge
and facts, instead of making baseless and incautious
statements.
”It is sad that a spokesperson for the DSS does not
know there is no offence called ‘loitering’ under
Nigerian laws. For her to now go on national television
to say the APC’s National Publicity Secretary was
arrested for ‘loitering’ in Osogbo on the eve of the
state’s governorship election is the height of ignorance
and constitutes a great embarrassment to DSS.
”It is even worse that the so-called spokesperson, ever
so glib, would make a joke out of such a faux pas by
an agency that is supposed to be non-partisan and
highly professionalized. How on earth can any human
being not be disoriented when 15 hooded gunmen arrest
him/her and point their weapons at his/her head as
they did to me on that night in Osogbo?
”How can a spokesperson for such a sensitive
government agency not understand that the Constitution
of the Federal Republic of Nigeria provides for freedom
of movement? On what basis is Ms. Ogar questioning
what the APC’s National Publicity Secretary was doing
in Osun, when the same fellow has not questioned the
presence of Musiliu Obanikoro, Chris Uba and the likes
in the same state. or are those people from Osun
State?
”Was it not publicly announced that the APC was
moving its headquarters to Osun to give support for
Gov. Rauf Aregbesola? Why didn’t Ms. Ogar question
the presence of President Goodluck Jonathan or Vice
President Namadi Sambo in Osun when they came too,
if she was been fair? It is sad that Ms. Ogar has
turned herself to the spokesperson of the PDP by
echoing what that party has said on the Osun election.
This is unprofessional and irresponsible,” it said.
APC said by spearheading the mass arrest of its
leaders and members in
Osun before and during the Aug. 9th governorship
election in the state, and by preventing the rally
planned by the NLC in support of Gov. Aregbesola
from holding, the DSS has decided to pitch its tent with
the PDP instead of staying neutral.
The party said the questions to ask Ms. Ogar are:
”How many PDP
leaders were arrested in Osun? If the rally by the NLC
had been
planned in support of the PDP candidate, Senator Iyiola
Omisore, would
the DSS have aborted it? Why must the DSS send
hooded gunmen to police
an election that is a civic matter? Does Ms.Ogar bother
to read and understand the Nigerian constitution to
know the rights of the citizens?”
It described as a tissue of lies the allegation by Ms.
Ogar that the party tried to bribe the DSS with 14
million Naira before the Osun election, wondering why
the DSS did not arrest the official who offered the
alleged bribe.
”Apparently, Ms. Ogar has never head of a ‘sting
operation’ that is widely used by security agencies to
catch a person who is committing a crime. The
allegation by Ms. Ogar would have been sweet in her
mouth had the DSS mounted a sting operation to catch
whoever was offering the alleged bribe, and then
prosecute him or her,” the party said, calling the
allegation cheap blackmail by a conspiratorial
organization.
APC said it is important to educate the likes of Ogar,
and indeed the entire DSS, that election is not war, but
a celebration of democracy, hence DSS agents should
drop their hoods and hide away their menacing guns
when next they are posted to police an election
anywhere in the country.

www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/apc-accuses-dss-crass-partisanship/

8 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Ekawu(m): 6:52pm On Aug 14, 2014
True talk

4 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by vedd: 6:53pm On Aug 14, 2014
The DSS, through Ogar, makes no attempt to hide its political affiliation.

14 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 14, 2014
i don't know if we are moving forward or backwards, i heard on election days in Ghana like many other countries, people still go to work after voting and shops are open for business. I wonder what our own problems here.

On the arrest of opposition members, this is the second time its happening, are we any different from Iran, Russia or North Korea.

6 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 14, 2014
GEJ has destroyed what used to be a great organisation. Department of State Services (DSS) has now become Department of GEJ Services, DGS.
Marilyn Ogar is not just incompetent, she's a shameless liar.

10 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by atlwireles: 6:58pm On Aug 14, 2014
The DSS Spokesperson has been speaking on the arrest of the APC National Publicity Secretary, Lai Mohammed, during the governorship election in Osun state.

Speaking on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, Miss Ogar explained that Mr Mohammed had no business in Osogbo, the Osun state capital, on an election day and that he was arrested for wandering.

“As per my last account, I think Alhaji Lai Mohammed is from Kwara State. That’s not to say he has no rights, there’s freedom of association and all that, but we know about the time he was picked up, it was a few minutes to 12AM in the morning.

“With all due respect and intent, was he supposed to be roaming about the streets when he knows that security was on alert?

“He talked about being thrown into a black bus. Let me tell you truth, you know when Nigerians find themselves in a free environment, they talk in such a manner that you will take them as champions, like they can wrestle the lion with their bare hands.

“When he was taken to the office, I am told, he was totally disoriented because of fear and could not even utter a word.

“He said that they told him to enter a bus and he refused, nothing like that actually happened and he wasn’t kept for two hours. I think the highest he spent within our premises was 45 minutes.

“It was the Director that graciously asked the senior officer to take him because he was just asking ‘where am I? What am I doing here?’

“If he wasn’t physically conscious of where he was and what he was doing, what was he doing outside?” Miss Ogar said.

Miss Ogar was reacting to an earlier Channels Television interview with Mr Lai Mohammed, during which the APC Spokesman accused the DSS of being biased during the Osun State governorship election.

http://www.channelstv.com/2014/08/14/dss-says-apcs-lai-mohammed-held-loitering

1 Like

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 14, 2014
vedd: The DSS, through Ogah, makes no attempt to hide its political affiliation.
btw the DSS is supposed to be a secret/under cover organisation, these days you see them in uniforms all over the place and more recently in camouflage and masks.

1 Like

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 14, 2014
atlwireles: The DSS Spokesperson has been speaking on the arrest of the APC National Publicity Secretary, Lai Mohammed, during the governorship election in Osun state.

Speaking on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, Miss Ogar explained that Mr Mohammed had no business in Osogbo, the Osun state capital, on an election day and that he was arrested for wandering.

As per my last account, I think Alhaji Lai Mohammed is from Kwara State. That’s not to say he has no rights, there’s freedom of association and all that, but we know about the time he was picked up, it was a few minutes to 12AM in the morning.

With all due respect and intent, was he supposed to be roaming about the streets when he knows that security was on alert?

“He talked about being thrown into a black bus. Let me tell you truth, you know when Nigerians find themselves in a free environment, they talk in such a manner that you will take them as champions, like they can wrestle the lion with their bare hands.

“When he was taken to the office, I am told, he was totally disoriented because of fear and could not even utter a word.

“He said that they told him to enter a bus and he refused, nothing like that actually happened and he wasn’t kept for two hours. I think the highest he spent within our premises was 45 minutes.

“It was the Director that graciously asked the senior officer to take him because he was just asking ‘where am I? What am I doing here?’

“If he wasn’t physically conscious of where he was and what he was doing, what was he doing outside?” Miss Ogar said.

Miss Ogar was reacting to an earlier Channels Television interview with Mr Lai Mohammed, during which the APC Spokesman accused the DSS of being biased during the Osun State governorship election.

Unbelievable!!! shocked shocked shocked This is beyond incompetence, this woman is more than useless to put it mildly. It's a monumental tragedy she is made to head such a strategic organisation.

5 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 7:05pm On Aug 14, 2014
atlwireles: The DSS Spokesperson has been speaking on the arrest of the APC National Publicity Secretary, Lai Mohammed, during the governorship election in Osun state.

“As per my last account, I think Alhaji Lai Mohammed is from Kwara State. That’s not to say he has no rights, there’s freedom of association and all that, but we know about the time he was picked up, it was a few minutes to 12AM in the morning.
does this even make any sense? Had no business in osun? He is the spokesperson for the opposition from God sake.

So what if he is from kwara? Are we now restricted to our state of origin?

12am in the morning, is there some kind of curfew in the state? The APC could have held meetings till late in the night.

6 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by atlwireles: 7:06pm On Aug 14, 2014
The dust of the just concluded Osun governorship polls does not seem to be about to ebb, going by the string of accusations not only between political parties, but between political parties and the Department of State Security (DSS).

Today on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, the spokesperson of the DSS, Marylin Ogar , wondered why there was no bomb blasts after the Osun governorship election which was won by the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Ogar did not specifically or directly accuse the APC of complicity in the bombing, but still wondered why there were bomb blasts in states where other parties apart from the
APC won elections.

Ms Ogar noted that there has been no bombings since the apc won in Edo and Osun elections.
She said that “we had provided security for Edo and at the end of that election, permit me to say, there was no bomb blast.
“We moved to Ondo and the Labour Party won in Ondo, there was bomb blast. We moved to Anambra; APGA won in Anambra and there was a bomb blast”. She said
She however noted that when they “moved to Ekiti and PDP won in Ekiti, there was a bomb blast” and “thank God we were able to deploy appropriately (in Osun), the results came out, the APC have won and thank God there was no bomb blast”.
Asked if she was insinuating that the opposition party was responsible for the bombings, the DSS spokesperson noted that “we should thank God that since after the Osun elections, there has been no bombings” warning that “it doesn’t mean that there should be a bomb blast after i leave the (channels tv Abuja) studio”.

She noted that the DSS does not come out to make such accusations all the time, adding that “we are not meant to intimidate, we are not meant to cow, but we are allow the Nigerian people know that there certain things we know and we keep quiet to work underground to ensure that we dont want to put people into our parts.
She also urged every Nigerian to know that security operatives should not and never be dragged into politics.
There had been allegations that the DSS operatives on duty during the Osun election showed some excesses in the discharge of their duties, an allegation she was bent on debunking.

According to her, while she could understand a political party being bad losers, the Osun matter only meant that bad winners also existed.

She stated that the DSS had not done anything unusual in Osun State, explaining that as a fall-out of the Ekiti election, security reports had revealed that political parties, particularly the PDP and the APC had vowed to outdo each other in the Osun State election and based on security reports, the security agencies “had to deploy adequately to be able to forestall any threat or anything that will pose contrary to free and fair election in Osun State.”

Alleged 14million Naira Offer

It has been reported that the DSS alleged that a political party offered the Security Service a bribe, leading to the Osun election, and she was asked to name the persons involved, so that they could be prosecuted.

She said that prior to the election, an APC member had invited the DSS Director, who was coordinating the election “to come and collect 4 million Naira for himself and another 10 million Naira for the same masked people.

“It was an offer and she said no, that she didn’t think it was necessary because when it has to do with logistics, as far as the Service is concerned, they would definitely have placed everything that would make for a successful operation.

“The rejection of that money on Tuesday brought on a lot of things that ordinarily we had not seen before anywhere.”

On the demand for the identity and prosecution of the persons involved, she said, “The duty of the SSS is to detect, prevent and deter” and using the President’s carrot and stick analogy, “It is not every time that you go out arresting people.”

She said further, “If this same process has been turned down when it had to do with other political parties, and they never took offense, why is it that the APC is taking offense? For me, its like pre-empting and presuming that ‘maybe this people are going to go to town with this stuff so we must be able to cow them to a point where they would be unable to expose what we were trying to do’.

“The person that made the offer knows himself and he knows that we know him.” She insisted that security agencies should not be dragged into politics.

She also clarified the issue surrounding the 14million Naira offer and being referred to as “bribe”.

“I’m sure the people that were doing the offering didn’t see it as a bribe, and I had never mentioned the word bribe. The media has used the word bribe in order to make it sensational.

“I could make you an offer and say this would assist you in what you are doing. Its either you take it or you refuse.

“I did say here that they offered us money to assist us and we said no.”

She added that if indeed the DSS was not accommodating to all parties involved in the election, “the Executive Governor of Osun State wouldn’t have written inviting us to come.”

http://www.channelstv.com/2014/08/14/dss-ponders-politics-and-bombings-in-nigeria

1 Like

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Emessy(m): 7:08pm On Aug 14, 2014
Devil GEJ and his evil FEEDEEFEE are using every position in the country to gain recognition for 2015 , from DSS to NA to NPF to AIT to SAHARA to NSCDC to CAN , mmmtchheew SULE LAMIDO was reported to have stolen billions yesterday and is still in office while Nyako is still being chased like a lizard , I talk am whoever votes for PDP in 2015 YOUNG OR OLD , RICH AND MOST ESPECIALLY POOR MAY LIGHTENING STRIKE HIM WELLA

6 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by atlwireles: 7:09pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
does this even make any sense? Had no business in osun? He is the spokesperson for the opposition from God sake.

So what if he is from kwara? Are we now restricted to our state of origin?

12am in the morning, is there some kind of curfew in the state? The APC could have held meetings till late in the night.

The DSS did their job, if you have a problem with any of their actions, the courts are wide open. Liar mohammed or any other APC member should go there to seek redress.

1 Like

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 7:09pm On Aug 14, 2014
^^^^ did she actually say all these? shocked Goodness me.

4 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 7:11pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
btw the DSS is supposed to be a secret/under cover organisation, these days you see them in uniforms all over the place and more recently in camouflage and masks.
The DSS has now become a huge joke

2 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by prophetone(m): 7:11pm On Aug 14, 2014
Ogar is a shame. All she seems to do these days is to talk with so much emotion you would think she was chatting with her mates in a hair salon. So much unprofessionalism from the supposed mouthpiece of the DSS should not go unpunished. From her tone it's obvious she's biased, to the point of poking fun at his 'fearful' conduct.

The DSS used to be known as a highly professional, politically neutral, intensely discreet and opaque preventive force which is the first line of defence in issues bordering national security, but now it seems to be a talk-shop with mostly bark and no bite.

6 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 14, 2014
atlwireles:

The DSS did their job, if you have a problem with any of their actions, the courts are wide open. Liar mohammed or any other APC member should go there to seek redress.
well if you see nothing wrong with all these, so be it but no matter what part of the divide we stand, we should speak for right always.

I am actually disappointed the APC is letting all these slide.

5 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by atlwireles: 7:13pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli: ^^^^ did she actually say all these? shocked Goodness me.

Nigerians know APC, there's a reason people are deserting from your party left and right.

1 Like

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by emmatok(m): 7:13pm On Aug 14, 2014

“With all due respect and intent, was he supposed to be roaming about the streets when he knows that security was on alert?

If this comment was made by the DSS woman, we have serious problem in Nigeria.
TOO BAD

9 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 14, 2014
atlwireles:

Nigerians know APC, there's a reason people are deserting from your party left and right.
and who are those deserting? Femi Fani Kayode? Lol.

1 Like

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by atlwireles: 7:16pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
well if you see nothing wrong with all these, so be it but no matter what part of the divide we stand, we should speak for right always.

I am actually disappointed the APC is letting all these slide.

Ask yourself why. APC never saw a political situation they did not exploit. So, why are they quiet.
Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by atlwireles: 7:18pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:

When he sold insults for your side, you people were proud of him. Abi?
Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 14, 2014
atlwireles:

Ask yourself why. APC never saw a political situation they did not exploit. So, why are they quiet.
well lai Mohammed just spoke.

3 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
Yeah
folks like Femi fani Kayode would find a safe haven in PDP so also is Ali Modu Sheriff the former Governor of Borno who ought to be in the DSS custody for his involvement in the financing of Mohammed Yusuf's Boko Haram at its early stage but he is a free man today since he is with the PDP

5 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 14, 2014
atlwireles:

When he sold insults for your side, you people were proud of him. Abi?
well i am waiting for gej to make him minister.
Btw i don't want to derail this thread with FFk

4 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by atlwireles: 7:21pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
well lai Mohammed just spoke.

He needs to head to court to enforce, whatever rights, the DSS took from him. Then I will take his noise serious.
Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by atlwireles: 7:23pm On Aug 14, 2014
Ms Ogar noted that there has been no bombings since the apc won in Edo and Osun elections.
She said that “we had provided security for Edo and at the end of that election, permit me to say, there was no bomb blast.
“We moved to Ondo and the Labour Party won in Ondo, there was bomb blast. We moved to Anambra; APGA won in Anambra and there was a bomb blast”. She said
She however noted that when they “moved to Ekiti and PDP won in Ekiti, there was a bomb blast” and “thank God we were able to deploy appropriately (in Osun), the results came out, the APC have won and thank God there was no bomb blast”.
Asked if she was insinuating that the opposition party was responsible for the bombings, the DSS spokesperson noted that “we should thank God that since after the Osun elections, there has been no bombings” warning that “it doesn’t mean that there should be a bomb blast after i leave the (channels tv Abuja) studio”.

http://www.channelstv.com/2014/08/14/dss-ponders-politics-and-bombings-in-nigeria
Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 14, 2014
My question is whaÞ is the business of DSS with Èlection? The PÓlice are supposed to hanÐle election matter§ with assistance from NSCDC aÑd a handful for DSS operatives who naturally will be invisible to gather intelligence. This present crop of management in DSS don't even knw their statutory function. Ogar is also a disgrace to Security agencies. She has successfullÝ destryeD the image of DSS. Using the Agency to play politics is a shame.

7 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by atlwireles: 7:37pm On Aug 14, 2014
Anybody born in this country right from our NSO days, then SSS/ DSS. Will tell you, our secret police have been involved in all matters in Nigeria, elections included. No government in Nigeria's history abused the powers of the secret police more, than Buhari. In 1983-85 the fear of the NSO, was the beginning of wisdom. He should advise members of the APC regarding the secret police/DSS today, he understands their functions very well..
Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by edogirl2: 7:39pm On Aug 14, 2014
A senior security official mocking an arrestee for being disoriented is beyond the pale and so unprofessional.

It's the equivalent of a doctor mocking a weak and helpless patient behind his back.

Everywhere you look, the country is such a disappointment. I am sorry to say that, as I want the best for the country. It's just so hard to be hopeful when you see what's happening.

8 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by porka: 7:41pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli: i don't know if we are moving forward or backwards, i heard on election days in Ghana like many other countries, people still go to work after voting and shops are open for business. I wonder what our own problems here.

On the arrest of opposition members, this is the second time its happening, are we any different from Iran, Russia or North Korea.

Are elections conducted at 12am in Ghana?
Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by oduastates: 7:41pm On Aug 14, 2014
These people are making a mockery of all the country's institutions.
This is a suppose to be an agency of intelligent spooks.
Mathematicians ,psychologist,analysts etc
That is ,an agency of a few people who work in the shadows.
Look at the the Ebola crisis .
The health minister has absolutely any clue of what to do.
He is simply jumping in front of cameras to make it seem as if he is doing something but all the initiatives are coming from the Lagos state government.
Pathetic

9 Likes

Re: APC Accuses DSS Of Crass partisanship by porka: 7:45pm On Aug 14, 2014
edogirl2: A senior security official mocking an arrestee for being disoriented is beyond the pale and so unprofessional.

It's the equivalent of a doctor mocking a weak and helpless patient behind his back.

Everywhere you look, the country is such a disappointment. I am sorry to say that, as I want the best for the country. It's just so hard to be hopeful when you see what's happening.

She simply stated what happened at the DSS office, contrary to Alh Lai Mohammed's own account of his bravado.

The same DSS people came to his rescue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igbos Are Stuupid So Are Their Yoruba And Niger Delta Counterparts / IPOB Accuses FG Of Inciting Igbo, Ijaw Clash / Ndi Omambala Please Wake Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.