Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? (15468 Views)

Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Smooyis(m): 7:11pm On Aug 15, 2014
Well, am proud to be a Nigerian because a great prophet like T B Joshua is also a Nigerian!
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Ninilowo(m): 7:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
cos Naija no dey fear even BOKO ARE RAM and the dreaded EBOLA grin
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by yinkuscious(m): 7:33pm On Aug 15, 2014
Yomieluv: Is there someone who's still proud of Nigeria,I for one has given up on Nigeria,common Ebola,we can't control,and manage..corruption is walking on four legs under GEJ.
if I may ask.. Are u paying tax ?
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Chinom(m): 7:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
abbey621:

I like the first part of your comment it definitely makes sense but the second part shows you still have much to learn, for example do you know that a person flipping burgers making minimum wage of $7.25 and working full time hours of 32 hours or more makes about $750 after taxes per month, that's about 120,000 naira per month. The job might look demeaning but the pay outweighs what most banks starts new employees with. The biggest problem I have with most Nigerians is that we confuse the nature of a job with it's relevance. I know many Nigerian graduates making less than 120,000 naira a month and yet they boast of working in banks or one misguided profession, never downgrade a fellow human being based on his or her profession without having all the facts!

All parts of my comment makes sense. I'm afraid you have zero economic sense. Your comment here is downright ridiculous. You earn $750 a month in the US. You prolly pay close to $400 on rent and bills.
Do you know that your $750 monthly salary can pay someone's rent for a full year in Nigeria?. There is absolutely no basis to compare salary levels between Nigeria and the Western countries. N120k goes a much longer way in Naija than $750 in US. That's why most of you cannot save enough to return. Many are trying to, but it takes a long time.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by abbey621(m): 8:32pm On Aug 15, 2014
Chinom:

All parts of my comment makes sense. I'm afraid you have zero economic sense. Your comment here is downright ridiculous. You earn $750 a month in the US. You prolly pay close to $400 on rent and bills.
Do you know that your $750 monthly salary can pay someone's rent for a full year in Nigeria?. There is absolutely no basis to compare salary levels between Nigeria and the Western countries. N120k goes a much longer way in Naija than $750 in US. That's why most of you cannot save enough to return. Many are trying to, but it takes a long time.

I feel sorry for you bro, you know nothing and yet your mouth runs non-stop! If you need enlightenment just say so and stop ranting. I used $750 as an example of someone making the minimum wage, I get by making 5 times that much in a month and I'm just starting out my professional career. If everyone in 9ja pays their fair share, pay their bills on time instead of looking for mago mago ways then I bet you 120k would not last very much, I don't know about the people you associate with but Nigerians are doing big things here man! Educated and smart young brothers like myself are mixing it with the best of them, we pay our bills, enjoy life and still smart enough to save for rainy days, wise up bro!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by mahyowah(m): 8:48pm On Aug 15, 2014
I proud to be a Nigerian simply because this is where I was born.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by bushjeph: 9:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
Question should be why am I angry. Op you can write an article on that...cause 80% of youths are angry and will attempt a mob coup if nothing is done quickly!

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by hardeiluxie: 9:30pm On Aug 15, 2014
still writing d essay
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2014
yinkuscious: if I may ask.. Are u paying tax ?
do we deserve to pay tax,with the level of deprivation in Nigeria? Payment of tax must be in lieu with provision made by the government.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by yinkuscious(m): 9:56pm On Aug 15, 2014
Yomieluv: do we deserve to pay tax,with the level of deprivation in Nigeria? Payment of tax must be in lieu with provision made by the government.
yes I agree with u, bt is only in nigeria that u can escape tax payment, its worth appreciating..
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by MightySparrow: 10:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
Nothing.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 15, 2014
I dnt like Nigeria infact the whole system sucks. Am a disabled thanks (and no thanks) to the Nigerian nurse(substandard) who did this to me and thanks(and no thanks) to the nigerian govt who allowed such nurses to mar and create a hurdle to the dreams of some of my comrades the worst of it all is that money no dey to travel abroad for effective treatments also thanks to our economy.

mtchew

yes am a man united fan. Xup man u fans in the house. I have a dream of playing at oldtrafford one day.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by kalimera101: 12:41am On Aug 16, 2014
Let's see.
I'm not proud to be a Nigerian.
But I like Nigeria because you can live your life completely delusional.
You learn to smile when you suffer.
Funny thing though: still living in Nigeria and hating it everyday.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by daey118(m): 11:31am On Aug 16, 2014
I totally have no reason to be proud of nigeria right now .... But that moment when you see two nigerians greet each other at the airport or outside naija....damn!! Something just make yu proud #Instantly! even wen they no sabi dia sef

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Ryda(m): 7:18pm On Aug 16, 2014
I'm nigerian...yes!! BBut I'm mnot proud of those pot bellied politicians playing games with the country's economy including the lives of innocent civilians
Not just proud of anything cuz despite our misbehaviors God still dey help us...everything happen for a reason and one day this bokobombers will be history.
''Nigeria Go Better''

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by spiralwedge(m): 7:40pm On Aug 16, 2014
Absolutely nothing.

drop ur insults below, but don't quote me o

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by cronsberg: 9:10pm On Aug 16, 2014
merieam16: Cos naija no dey carry last
Except in everything

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by mbulela: 1:07am On Aug 17, 2014
onitshaigbo: Not proud of being Nigerian, I'm proud of being Biafran, because we Igbos are Jews, the chosen people of God. God will surely honour us and humiliate our enemies. Igbos will one day be able to return to our homeland, the land of Israel.
Pls count me out of your delusion.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 11:10am On Aug 17, 2014
mbulela:
Pls count me out of your delusion.

What?! shocked I can't believe you don't want to return to the promised land!

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by laoludavid(m): 3:02pm On Aug 17, 2014
Because i am rugged. I can survive any condition
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by mbulela: 1:38pm On Aug 18, 2014
naijababe:

What?! shocked I can't believe you don't want to return to the promised land!
make Hamas go bomb me?
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 18, 2014
mbulela:
make Hamas go bomb me?

Not when you are God's chosen grin
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 20, 2014
kobonaire: Nigerians are generally warm, confident, resilient and friendly people

The opposite of a Nigerian would be a Russian ... at least to these clueless but funny teenagers
Waoh, I love those guys, very hilarious... though some find it to be insultive...

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by zendy: 9:27am On Aug 26, 2014
In 1967,my parents were still dating. Both of them watched as the Nigerian flag was lowered and Biafran 'rising sun' flag was hoisted up. My parents later told me that the sense of pride they both felt that they had finally got a nation that they could believe in and was representative of their goals and aspirations was overwhelming. Both of them have never felt that way since then. I want to one day feel what my parents felt and I know that I will never feel this way about Nigeria because Nigeria represents nobody. Nigeria is a scam. First it was a scam for the British to enrich themselves and now it's a scam for the northerners to continue where the British stopped at the expense of southerners. I'm a proud Igbo man and Biafran,the shambles known as Nigeria means nothing to me.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by khiaa(f): 12:42am On Sep 03, 2014
bigfrancis21: Because Nigerians have this can-do spirit, energy, liveliness, self-confidence(self-pride at times), and are achievement-driven and hardworking.

Nigerians generally are jovial, lively and somewhat noisy people. We also know how to keep chains/circles of friends for so many years(something i've noticed is rare among americans) etc. Their penchant for success and achievement drives them to aim for higher goals and achieve success, thus distinguishing them from other africans who tend to be more gentle, docile, relaxed and unpretentious.

On the streets of US here, when you see a black man properly dressed up in corporate shirt tucked in plain trousser, or dressed in sort of another refined dressing other than 'baggy jeans and shirts with miami or NY cap worn backwards on top and fancy sneakers footwears', holding his head up high in the air and walking with a somewhat prideful gait of self-importance, that man is most likely to be a Nigerian, who believes that he is better than everybody around him, can achieve whatever he wants to acheive, is hardly intimidated by anybody or anything, and goes for what he wants. This spirit has been identified as the key that drives Nigerians to success in US.

So untrue, stop stereotyping.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by bigfrancis21: 3:06am On Sep 03, 2014
khiaa:

So untrue, stop stereotyping.

I have made my point and you are naturally entitled to yours. If you are capable of intellectual discourse, then come up with a logical well-founded rebuttal to my post. Other than that you are only perambulating.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by khiaa(f): 3:30am On Sep 03, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I have made my point and you are naturally entitled to yours. If you are capable of intellectual discourse, then come up with a logical well-founded rebuttal to my post. Other than that you are only perambulating.

Your ego is so pathetic. So Nigerian men are the only black men in the US who dress in suits headed to their corporate jobs, and all other black men wear baggy pants, hat to the back, expensive sneakers while loafing around in the streets and bus terminals begging for money.
According to you Nigerian men are the only black men in the U S with pride, that's ridiculous and so untrue.

I agree with Horayce 10000%, he read my mind.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by bigfrancis21: 4:06am On Sep 03, 2014
khiaa:

Your ego is so pathetic. So Nigerian men are the only black men in the US who dress in suits headed to their corporate jobs, and all other black men wear baggy pants, hat to the back, expensive sneakers while loafing around in the streets and bus terminals begging for money.
According to you Nigerian men are the only black men in the U S with pride, that's ridiculous and so untrue.

I agree with Horayce 10000%, he read my mind.

bigfrancis21:
On the streets of US here, when you see a black man properly dressed up in corporate shirt tucked in plain trousser, or dressed in sort of another refined dressing other than 'baggy jeans and shirts with miami or NY cap worn backwards on top and fancy sneakers footwears', holding his head up high in the air and walking with a somewhat prideful gait of self-importance, that man is most likely to be a Nigerian, who believes that he is better than everybody around him, can achieve whatever he wants to acheive, is hardly intimidated by anybody or anything, and goes for what he wants. This spirit has been identified as the key that drives Nigerians to success in US.

@bold...it is quite apparent that you are naturally incapable of simple passage comprehension and academic intellectual understanding.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by khiaa(f): 4:26am On Sep 03, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...it is quite apparent that you are naturally incapable of simple passage comprehension and academic intellectual understanding.

The bold is a lie, unless you know every black man in a suit your statement is false.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by bigfrancis21: 4:30am On Sep 03, 2014
khiaa:

The bold is a lie, unless you know every black man in a suit your statement is false.

Where did I mention suit in my post? undecided
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by khiaa(f): 4:42am On Sep 03, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Where did I ever mention suit in my post? undecided

A suit can be considered refined dressing. Stop beating around the bush, where is your proof to your arrogant statement. I was born and live in America all my life and I know there is no truth in what you said.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by bigfrancis21: 4:54am On Sep 03, 2014
khiaa:

A suit can be considered refined dressing. Stop beating around the bush, where is your proof to your arrogant statement. I was born and live in America all my life and I know there is no truth in what you said.

Apparently, you are the one making up things from a simple passage directed at describing Nigerians I have observed in the same America, and not generalization whatsoever of sorts. Never did I mention any other black group in my post. How frequently would you see a Nigerian man dressed in baggy shirts, baggy jeans, fancy sneakers, dreadlocks, with miami cap worn backwards compared to more refined dressing and visual appearance?

I never said all black men in refined dressing are Nigerians. Rather I posited that Nigerian men in US tend to be more refined in dressing. Given the aforementioned and based on my observation here in US when you see a black man in refined dressing and responsible appearance, there is some good chance that he is Nigerian. Any objective thinking person would agree with me on this.

I am grossly disappointed at your inability to capture such a simple message disguised under well-meaning verbose but equivocating avowal. If by now you still don't get it, you just might never get it. Go back once more and re-read my post, this time reading it slowly and digesting every piece of it holistically as you were taught in 3rd grade.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Traditional Culture Of Greeting In Nigeria / What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.