Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,812 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? (15466 Views)

Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by khiaa(f): 5:15am On Sep 03, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Apparently, you are the one making up things from a simple passage directed at describing Nigerians I have observed in the same America, and not generalization whatsoever of sorts. Never did I mention any other black group in my post. How frequently would you see a Nigerian man dressed in baggy shirts, baggy jeans, fancy sneakers, dreadlocks, with miami cap worn backwards compared to more refined dressing and visual appearance?

I never said all black men in refined dressing are Nigerians. Rather I posited that Nigerian men in US tend to be more refined in dressing. Given the aforementioned and based on my observation here when you see a black man in refined dressing and responsible appearance, there is some good chance that he is Nigerian. Any objective thinking person would agree with me on this.

If by now you still don't get it, you just might never get it. Go back once more and re-read my post, this time reading it slowly and digesting every piece of it holistically as you were taught in 3rd grade.

You are posting more lies, there are Nigerians right here where I live who dresses in baggy and skinny jeans as well, they also wear sneakers and their hat backwards. There are other Africans and black American men who dress refined with corporate jobs. My point to you is that you don't have to exaggerate the truth to be proud of being Nigerian it only makes you look pathetic and insecure. cheesy
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by zboyd: 2:55am On Sep 04, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Apparently, you are the one making up things from a simple passage directed at describing Nigerians I have observed in the same America, and not generalization whatsoever of sorts. Never did I mention any other black group in my post. How frequently would you see a Nigerian man dressed in baggy shirts, baggy jeans, fancy sneakers, dreadlocks, with miami cap worn backwards compared to more refined dressing and visual appearance?

I never said all black men in refined dressing are Nigerians. Rather I posited that Nigerian men in US tend to be more refined in dressing. Given the aforementioned and based on my observation here in US when you see a black man in refined dressing and responsible appearance, there is some good chance that he is Nigerian. Any objective thinking person would agree with me on this.

I am grossly disappointed at your inability to capture such a simple message disguised under well-meaning verbose but equivocating avowal. If by now you still don't get it, you just might never get it. Go back once more and re-read my post, this time reading it slowly and digesting every piece of it holistically as you were taught in 3rd grade.

Suggestion: You need to get out and around more.

If it wasn't for GQ (Gentlemen's Quarterly) and magazines like Ebony, Jet and Maxim, just where would such 'refinement' originate?

It's not just slang and swag that some Nigerian/African men emulate, from African American men.

Btw...how can you formulate such a mindset, comparing such a small population of Nigerian men to over millions of African American men who can put it down when it comes to 'refined' dressing?

In the real world over here, as an African American man, serious about his business, thuggish dressing does not necessarily bar him making millions.

Example: Russell Simmons, co-founder of Def Jam Records, who discovered artists like LL Cool J, the Beastie Boys, and Run-D.M.C.

He doesn't dress in a refined manner...and...he's filthy rich!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Having Visitors Without Prior Notice: Your View / The Traditional Culture Of Greeting In Nigeria / What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.