Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,981 members, 7,828,474 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . (23365 Views)

Is Your A/C Very Cool While Driving And Warm At Idle? / Make A Call While Driving And Be Jailed - FRSC Warns / At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by sparkleboy(m): 11:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
Started stealing at age 16 but withing the street tinz. By 17 took by 2 siblings to church on a major highway with my heart pounding like a pestle and mortar. Iwas scared shitless while coming back cos it was late, I picked my grandma, and my 3 siblings with a pregnant aunt
The whole six of us drove back ccos everyone was yelling an advice or the other especially whenever a trailer was approaching.
That night when my mum came back she screamed and shouted when my granny spilled the secret and called my Dad telling him that I wanted to kill my 3 siblings and her mother alongside our pregnant aunt. It was a serious night but since then I got my freedom.
By the Time I got back to school I became one of the major drivers of my fellowships numerous long buses.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by oluwanoni: 11:57pm On Aug 15, 2014
I haven't perfected mine...waiting to buy my own car b4 the end of the year...@least if I bash am...na my own not popsi grin
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by mytym(m): 12:24am On Aug 16, 2014
Started at 15, unlike my mates who started by sneak-driving, my father practically forced me to learn it as it was obvious i was disinterested. Took me 12 years...still not perfect coz driving is about consistency. As a learner, after learning a stage I could go months before getting back on the steering. Infact one of my D.License for 3 yrs got expired without setting hands on a steering.
Meanwhile its manual transmission...the hard brands...Volkswagen. Volvo, old regular Mercedes

Just got my hands on autofor the first tym lastmonth....menh its damn too easy, its wah dey call 'teach yourself' kind of thing.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Ellatyra(f): 6:20am On Aug 16, 2014
Immediately after my secondary school...I was 17,it took me 3days and I started going 4 school runs
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by eminemkayc: 7:19am On Aug 16, 2014
Almost 20years ago at age 16.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by AMossley(m): 12:51pm On Aug 16, 2014
At age 5,it was on a very high hill,dad just showed me the accelerator,the clutch,brakes(hand and foot),gear stick.He closed the door and left,after he left,I started the car and surprisingly I was driving smoothly at 140km/hr down the hill.suddenly the car developed wings and I changed into a pilot,as I was flying the car turned plane,it plunged into a river...
Then I felt a sharp pain on my right thigh,"you've wet your bed again,why won't you when all you know is to play with your dad's unused car tyre,I'll beat you today"my mum said with a bulala in her hand
Ever since then,I've been an expert in driving but in my dreams.

3 Likes

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by whitedove(m): 3:47pm On Aug 16, 2014
I started stealing my uncle cars circa 1996,I was 23 @ the time,had my first girlfriend then...but I mistakenly bashed the car around ojodu area, the wife scolded me badly that I never touched any cars until I bought mine @ 28
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Atmmachine(m): 4:11pm On Aug 16, 2014
armyofone: Lol, thanks goodness for Garmin GPS. I just type the address of where I'm going, stay on my lane and then I'm there grin

i always drive from pennsylvania to florida with the help of gps
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Realone92(m): 5:41pm On Aug 16, 2014
Suntemi: At 26 because growing up, no access to car so I waited till I got myself a car.
hurrey congrat..............tell us more , that was when ? how scare were u at first.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin manual or auto
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by alamoht(m): 6:46pm On Aug 16, 2014
ademega: At what age did u start driving , how did it all start and how many days it took u to learn it perfectly? Share ur experience .
. I was 19yrs just last year things and now am perfect, if u want to no am perft if am driving stand@my front I will jam u heavily and u will not dIe hahahah

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Limerick: 12:13am On Aug 17, 2014
kr0ne:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Guy, u go lecture me o grin
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Fabdedon(m): 6:22pm On Aug 17, 2014
killercute16: 12!!!....and u were taller than the car nd u were perfect and your dad allowed you too drive.CHAI!!!....I GIVE UP.
bro ah was 12 that december and my bufday is march..so almost 13..now am 17..learnt automatic 12yrs...manual 14 years.. Never don an inter-state waiting for driving license..
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Fabdedon(m): 6:27pm On Aug 17, 2014
killercute16: 12!!!....and u were taller than the car nd u were perfect and your dad allowed you too drive.CHAI!!!....I GIVE UP.
i learnt during dec wen ah was 12 and ma bufday is on the march.. So almost 13 ..learnt auto wen ah was 12 with mercedez 220 and maunal wen ah was 14 with audi...now am very good at it..have never don an interstate..cos ah need a permit..
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by egesie(m): 11:25am On Aug 18, 2014
I knew the theoritical aspect of driving by 13(with an MB 200CE AMG) , started actual driving by 15(Nissan Sunny 1,6), m 17(currently driving VW Passat B5 1.8T 1998 model)now but I even drive better than adults. And I've noticed something, when I tell ppl I prefer manual to auto, dy look at me like m crazy. I'd rather be a passenger than drive an auto
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by DuBLINGreenb(m): 8:23pm On Sep 07, 2014
at age 18 took me one week to learn
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by HungerBAD: 9:25am On Oct 13, 2016
omolizzy:
Comprehensive and intersting. I started driving at the age of 13. My Dad owned a scrap Peugeot 404 truck which was obviously a Manually transmitted vehicle. My elder brother (who was 15 at that time) and I, used to start the truck by joining two wires together because the key ignition system was bad and my Dad had it hotwired. (Money no dey to buy new ignition). We use the handle of a spoon or any flat metal to release the steering lock, by turning on the ignition first before joining the wires. The truck was always at home, while Dad and Mum were away at work. The family only took it to the farm on Saturdays. That gave room for plenty of time to practice what we watch Daddy do. grin

I Did my first interstate drive from Benin to Owerri at 14. It was my Dad's Peugeot 504 this time. My Mum had to travel for August meeting; needed to be mobile in the village but did not have the heart to drive herself through the highway. I took the vehicle down to the villa for her...and enjoyed almost two weeks of a lovely August villa experience.

I still have my very first learner's permit which was arranged for me at the age of 14 (Naija Factor), and which I would have shared on this forum...but for security reason due to the "faceless forum" thingy. I believe I was one of the youngest drivers on the streets of Benin at some point.

My longest drive was from Owerri to Sokoto. That was during my NYSC days. My Dad had got me a brand new car then (Toyota Corolla 1.8GLI...European) as a graduation gift. I did not want to leave the car for anyone to damage...so I insisted on taking my car with me for the twelve (12) months that I was going to be away, serving my country.

It was a tough trip...as I had to tango with a "The Young Shall Grow" luxurious bus driver somewhere around Minna in Niger state. He agreed to show me through the rest of the journey if i stayed close; so I followed his trail through Kaduna, Katsina, Gusau in Zamfara and finally, Farufaru in Sokoto. I hear whiiiiiiin!

Driving is pleasurable...if you've got the will.

Cheers.

Story.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by spencekat(m): 5:23pm On Oct 13, 2016
I learnt within a week and hit the road afterwards.All thanks to my young uncle who gave me the chance to learn with his brother's car.I was 17 then.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Feanah(f): 9:42pm On Oct 13, 2016
Started learning with manual in js3 around 12 with our late driver , but I never got to learn.Learnt with the automatic transmission around 17.I still want to learn how to drive manual cars though
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Feanah(f): 9:48pm On Oct 13, 2016
mytym:
Started at 15, unlike my mates who started by sneak-driving, my father practically forced me to learn it as it was obvious i was disinterested. Took me 12 years...still not perfect coz driving is about consistency. As a learner, after learning a stage I could go months before getting back on the steering. Infact one of my D.License for 3 yrs got expired without setting hands on a steering.
Meanwhile its manual transmission...the hard brands...Volkswagen. Volvo, old regular Mercedes

Just got my hands on autofor the first tym lastmonth....menh its damn too easy, its wah dey call 'teach yourself' kind of thing.
Exactly consistency...same problem here.But,I've learnt for only 6 years;left home some months after so haven't been very consistent .Even people that I used to correct when they started,drive much better than I do now.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by mytym(m): 11:24pm On Oct 13, 2016
Feanah:

Exactly consistency...same problem here.But,I've learnt for only 6 years;left home some months after so haven't been very consistent .Even people that I used to correct when they started,drive much better than I do now.

You'll eventually master it and by that time your confidence level would have gotten so high... smiley
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Feanah(f): 9:59am On Oct 14, 2016
mytym:

You'll eventually master it and by that time your confidence level would have gotten so high... smiley
I hope so smiley
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 15, 2016
Can't drive... failed my driving test embarassed.

To those that do drive, how long did it take to be fully confident?
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by EmmyDe25(m): 12:13pm On Oct 15, 2016
23.. took me one day. Drove on a major road same day but ended up bashing someone's car due to my lack of concentration.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by EmmyDe25(m): 12:14pm On Oct 15, 2016
Contact17:
Can't drive... failed my driving test embarassed.

To those that do drive, how long did it take to be fully confident?
A month
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by mytym(m): 10:08am On Oct 17, 2016
Feanah:

I hope so smiley

You'll be fine...meanwhile mine took longer coz i'm a leftie smiley
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 17, 2016
I learnt how to drive at the age of 15, both Manual and Auto.

Haven't driven a manual transmission in 4 years. I doubt if I'll ever drive one - I never really got the hang of it. It took me 4 days to be perfect with the Auto. The first 2 days, I forgot to release the handbrake embarassed. By the third day, I could maneuver and park properly.

The only problem I had was, I couldn't see beyond the steering (even with a pillow), so I could never tell how close my bumper is to another vehicle embarassed. With my dad's Benz, it was easier, because of the Emblem on the bonnet.

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2016
LadyMercedes:
I learnt how to drive at the age of 15, both Manual and Auto.

Haven't driven a manual transmission in 4 years. I doubt if I'll ever drive one - I never really got the hang of it. It took me 4 days to be perfect with the Auto. The first 2 days, I forgot to release the handbrake embarassed. By the third day, I could maneuver and park properly.

The only problem I had was, I couldn't see beyond the steering (even with a pillow), so I could never tell how close my bumper is to another vehicle embarassed. With my dad's Benz, it was easier, because of the Emblem on the bonnet.

and you claimed perfection with the manual transmission.... how honest

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Five Dashboard Signs On Your Vehicle That Needs Instant Attention. / Car Models From The Same And Different Brands That Share The Same Platforms / 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.