Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,852 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want (56286 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / 5 Degrees Employers Don't Want / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Adedayo516(m): 5:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
On a very serious note, want you study doesn't matter, the knowledge you acquire is what matters.. We have unemployed doctors, Lawyers that ain't got nothing doing... Truth is the word has evolved, you can be whatever you want to be no matter what you study.

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Adedayo516(m): 5:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
Elantracey:

Do you have an idea of how much work, stress and time , the challenges he has been through before he got to where he is now , its really very bad to meet a man when he's reaping his labour .
well I know pastors who didn't have to go through anything... Pastors that make it in 6 month... No be my mouth you go hear their name Sha...
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Tonetonz(f): 5:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
false
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by biomedixexcel(m): 5:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
Depends on geographical location ;DDepends on geographical location
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by biomedixexcel(m): 5:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
Depends on geographical location Depends on geographical location
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by ojeycombo(m): 5:16pm On Aug 15, 2014
I JUST WONDER WHY ANYONE IN HIS/HER RIGHT SENSES WILL ADD "ECONOMICS" TO THAT LIST!!! angry IF ECONOMISTS NO GET WORK WHO WAN COME GET? PLEASE REVIEW WELL AND ADD COURSES THAT ARE INSIGNIFICANT IN UR GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION. IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD (MY NAIJA), ANY COURSE GOES! GBA GBE OSHIIII tongue
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 15, 2014
Adedayo516: well I know pastors who didn't have to go through anything... Pastors that make it in 6 month... No be my mouth you go hear their name Sha...

if there's anyone like that then I'll tell you he's not genuine , if you were in their shoes when they started am sure you would have backed out by now, so pls instead of joining others to critise someone you know nothing about , just let them be, I've been in field work and I know the gospel is not cheap.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Adedayo516(m): 5:23pm On Aug 15, 2014
Elantracey:

if there's anyone like that then I'll tell you he's not genuine , if you were in their shoes when they started am sure you would have backed out by now, so pls instead of joining others to critise someone you know nothing about , just let them be, I've been in field work and I know the gospel is not cheap.
Aha... Pastor Mrs I am sorry ooo...
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 15, 2014
Adedayo516: Aha... Pastor Mrs I am sorry ooo...

hehehe abeg put me down o.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
Adedayo516: On a very serious note, want you study doesn't matter, the knowledge you acquire is what matters.. We have unemployed doctors, Lawyers that ain't got nothing doing... Truth is the word has evolved, you can be whatever you want to be no matter what you study.

Yea that's true , it just depends on you as a person .
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Idrismusty97(m): 5:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
papiforreal:

what of quantity surveying?
Quantity surveying is a great course. They are the accountants in the science field. In fact i will advice any science students that also have passion for economics should go for Quantity surveying. They can partake in virtually all manner of construction projects, Estimating costs and visiting constrution sites. Unlike Accountants they have technical knowledge and that only would give them an edge over others. Just like architecture it is turning into a hot cake(At least in Africa).

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Adedayo516(m): 5:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
Elantracey:

hehehe abeg put me down o.
Nah play I dey since oooo... I no know... Who born me to look you in the face cheesy
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 15, 2014
Adedayo516: Nah play I dey since oooo... I no know... Who born me to look you in the face cheesy

no change am o , I just say make I clarify something biko.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Adedayo516(m): 5:32pm On Aug 15, 2014
Elantracey:

no change am o , I just say make I clarify something biko.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
Adedayo516: cheesy cheesy

The one way you dey smile so hope am safe
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by ozikam: 5:41pm On Aug 15, 2014
I tot nigerian graduates hav grown, i cant belev my ears that they are stil talkn of courses that gvs employment,whil their fellow all ova d world ar dscusn on invention.som engineern graduats hav grown white hairs learnin hw to writ job aplicatn,whil history/philosophy students hav developd fantastc biznes survey plans wt investors strugln to grab to invest their mony. Be wise n grow!

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Infoay: 5:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
na God get power o
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by jdilight(m): 5:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
hardbody:

JAMB doesn't frustrate anyone's efforts. You are either well prepared or not. If you are, you write your exams with a fair chance of success, if you are not prepared, you look for a special centre to write the exam and thereafter, the post UME exams levels you up to what you already were (I do not mean you in person ooo).

Eventually, people fail rather than JAMB not favouring them, JAMB favours no one.

grin

But even if everyone passes, there is a limit to which schools can take. One will have to wait for another year na. 1 year no be beans to stay at home studying for another jamb wink
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Adedayo516(m): 5:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
Elantracey:

The one way you dey smile so hope am safe
Hin dey inside Bible say make we no smile again... Abi smile Don dey cause Ebola??.. Abeg Pastor Mrs, no vex for those question oooo... cheesy
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by pegmatite(f): 5:43pm On Aug 15, 2014
...Irrelevant!
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 15, 2014
bankyblue: if this should make the front page then i will leave NL

Real men keep to their words. sad

2 Likes

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by jdilight(m): 5:46pm On Aug 15, 2014
On a serious note we need a lot of academic Councillors in this country. If things are the way they should be, many people will be thrown out of the jobs they are currently holding.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by jdilight(m): 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
iyke926:

Real men keep to their words. sad

Has it made front page?
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Ekowise(m): 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
hardbody:

If you have a second class upper degree in any of those courses and succesfully write and pass entry qualification exams into Banks, O&G companies, Consultancy firms, FMCGs, etc, you can aspire to become a Managing Director some day, irrespective of the degree acquired. The best MDs in Banks never studied Banking and Finance, egg heads in Consultancy firms did not all study Management related courses. A first degree gives all graduates a general view of functional literacy and education, what you become thereafter is subject to what you make of the next set of opportunities that come your way.

Meanwhile, for those who do not quite get it, Economics is one of the most versatile courses there could ever be. It opens up an endless vista into a world of opportunities. For the avoidance of doubt, I did not study Economics or even the behavioural sciences but i know from experience that it is a wonderful course to study (in Nigeria at least).
You spoke wisely . I had to do my Masters in Economics and I bet you I've never and will never regret it.
@OP, stop copying and pasting.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
pegmatite: ...Irrelevant!
You a geologist?

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by einsteino(m): 5:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
Elantracey:

Do you have an idea of how much work, stress and time , the challenges he has been through before he got to where he is now , its really very bad to meet a man when he's reaping his labour .

People like you are the ones that can justify yahoo yahoo. His labour my foot, taking 10percent of the income of gullible fools.. Preaching prosperity while he prospers off on their sweat.

2 Likes

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 15, 2014
jdilight:

Has it made front page?
Yea

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by bankyblue(m): 5:53pm On Aug 15, 2014
for real front page!

off i go
some MOD re showing EBOLA symptoms and i can stand it
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:53pm On Aug 15, 2014
Medunah: Remove economics jor
Na ur course be dat?
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 15, 2014
bankyblue: for real front page!

off i go
some MOD re showing EBOLA symptoms and i can stand it

gringrin
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 15, 2014
Op, what did u study...?
Economist are very successful people in the world, both practising and those who are not practising.
Ted turner the CNN analyst studied economics,
George bush studied economics(Us president)
Ronald Reagan studied economics(Us president),
Gerald Ford studied economics ( us president),
Phil gram studied economics ( us senator)
Robert McNamara studied economics ( us secretary of defence)
Tim Kaine studied economics(governor of Virginia)
Viktor yuschenko studied economics ( president of Ukraine). Now there are many more but let me stop here on world economist politicians.
Entrepreneurs like
Lionel Richie also studied economics
Tiger woods studied economics
Arnold Schwarzenegger also studied economics ( now gov of California).There many more to this people too but I stop here.
Coming to Nigeria we have mighty economist economist like;
Charles soludo
Sanusi lamido
83rd most powerful woman in the world, coordinator of Nigeria economy and the minister oFinance Dr(Mrs)ngozi okonjo iweala.
Economics is the father of all business courses across the globe..whoops, I forgot to add Prof Pat utomi to the above. As I was saying, an economics graduate from a reputable university and also in his right senses will always be chosen before a finance graduate or accounting graduate.
Again why do you think Tertiary institutions in Nigeria place economics on a very high cut off...economics no be beans on.
Can't just imagine that after all those further maths and econometrics u didn't get a job. Smh
On a final note, ur course of study doesn't determine where u will work, its the man in you. To the historians here, ciroma was once a CBN governor, he never studied business he studied history.
Am sure Kofi annan will study economic if he comes back to this world again, and Barack Obama will definitely be happy his father is an economist.
Stop being pessimistic and by saying what employers want as if your father is an employer of labour.
Economics and all the courses this unfortunate guy listed out here will forever be one of the best courses to study.
My sisters friend studied law she is now big in importing and exporting clothing materials. My brother studied anatomy he is working in a telecommunication company.
Study hard, get a good degree and be frugal...you stand a chance anywhere in the world.
Its not about the course, its about your capabilities...
At op...u are...lemme leave you sha.
I sign out...God bless

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

OAU Sex For Marks: What Monica Osagie Told Panel – Counsel / Eluemunor Richard Okasia Dies In Russia After Rescuing A Drowning Lady (Photos) / World's History: Some Ignored Warnings That Were Tragically Deadly.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.