Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,762 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin - Nairaland / General (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin (43382 Views)

10 Funny Answers To Common Nigerian silly Questions / Some Common Abbreviation / Nigerian Dogs(origin Of The Word Nkita?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
OsoDupe: Each tribe, different origin story, according to Yoruba history, Oba of benin was one of Oduduwa's son, so I get my fact right before writing at all go and check benin's history and ask why most people in ur village have Yoruba names.

I don't have to I understand your English ; you sure educated. wink
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
Sowl:
Ever since the capital was shifted from lagos to abuja what then as kept the other tribes from switching geographical if they didnt find there yoruba landlords accomodating ,its been over 24yrs since lagos was last a capital of nigeria so dont tell me lagos has d highest population of other tribes because it was once a former capital,now that abuja is the seat of power then d mass influx theory postulated by you should favor abuja to the detriment of lagos.......NB and caveat emptor it wld b a grave and unforgivable sin against d accomodating and hospitable feature of the yoruba race if any one of the other races tries to label lagos as a ''no man's land'' it is utterly sacrilageous and dastardly of them to think so. Non of the other races would never try that with the hausas in kano or kaduna even as they are also the commercial hub of the north with so many other tribes settling in these cities!!
We yoruba's due to our nature have risen above the art of envy of other tribes and look to embrace whatever would naturally bring forth peace to our beloved country nigeria.
I see no reasons whatsoever to argue with you, we aren't on the same scale and platform of understanding. If I keep replying you, you would succeed in condescending me to your low pedestal.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by shizzle11(m): 1:17pm On Aug 20, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: I see no reasons whatsoever to argue with you, we aren't on the same scale and platform of understanding. If I keep replying you, you would succeed in condescending me to your low pedestal.
Brilliant response!

EmpressaDelRei: God bless you.
Blees you too smiley

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by ElekeNtioba: 1:29pm On Aug 20, 2014
kekakuz:

you called mukina a phuking what?

ban dey smell for your head

den phuck both of u.

Insecure backstabbing creeps!!

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 20, 2014
shizzle11: Brilliant response!

Blees you too smiley

Nor mind dem

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by shizzle11(m): 1:36pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

Nor mind dem
i enjoyed your expository comment above, many yorubas keep claiming many Bini pidgin as theirs, forgetting that even the Eko they always shout is a bini slang after the Bini kingdom conquered parts of lagos particularly the island, funny lots cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 20, 2014
shizzle11: Brilliant response!

Bless you too smiley
wink peace

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 20, 2014
shizzle11:
i enjoyed your expository comment above, many yorubas keep claiming many Bini pidgin as theirs, forgetting that even the Eko they always shout is a bini slang after the Bini kingdom conquered parts of lagos particularly the island, funny lots cheesycheesy

Even the Oba of Lagos support the historical accounts of the Oba of Benin concerning the whole origin of the binis and yorubas.

My father once asked them the meaning of the word 'Oduduwa' in yoruba, if according to myth he was the creator of their universe.

The word 'Oduduwa' is a bini word meaning 'Very close to home'
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by kekakuz(m): 1:56pm On Aug 20, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Lai-Lai is from Arabic . La means no in Arabic.
hmmm very thought full
so in Arabic if I say la ilaha it means
your guest is as bad as mine
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by kekakuz(m): 1:56pm On Aug 20, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

hmmm very thought full
so in Arabic if I say la ilaha it means
your guess is as bad as mine
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by favouryemmy: 1:59pm On Aug 20, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: it is merci beaucoup, not merci borque!

Thanks.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by shizzle11(m): 2:05pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

Even the Oba of Lagos support the historical accounts of the Oba of Benin concerning the whole origin of the binis and yorubas.

My father once asked them the meaning of the word 'Oduduwa' in yoruba, if according to myth he was the creator of their universe.

The word 'Oduduwa' is a bini word meaning 'Very close to home'
Interesting! and i have always assumed its a yoruba word as they would always want to claim. Now i can see how it truly relates to other bini names such as Erediuwa, Okoduwa, Omojuwa cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kaysalas(m): 2:13pm On Aug 20, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: Taaaaaah! Igbos are not in any form of competition with any tribe or race, they are simply who they are! Speak for yourself. By the way, "Lagos" was once the nation's capital, hence the mass influx of various tribes and nationalities therein. It has nothing to do with your hospitality, all these supposed visitors pay the bills where they live and contribute majorly to the growth and development of Lagos as a state and the nation's commercial capital. No tribe or race is bigger/greater/smarter or finer than the other. God made all men. I know there are a few bad eggs in every tribe, but the many good people shouldn't be labelled bad alongside the evil ones. BTW, Igbos are hardworking/enterprising.
why are u so obsessed about lagos? he never mentioned 'lagos' in his post you know. And just so you know lag is not the only former capital of naija. Oh, u tink ibos are only in lag, come inside ijoko, Lisa, aboekuta, and all d nooks of YORUBALAND and see umu IBO hussli g and belonging. don't get me wrong, I like umu IBO, but to lay claim to words like fufu,garri,egusi e.t.c I find very amusing.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kaysalas(m): 2:22pm On Aug 20, 2014
Sowl:
It would b callous for any1 2bring up such fermented and fabricated fallacy of corrupt history sayin lagos was a discovery of an oba 4rm edo bcoz it makes no sense watsoeva,even d togolese and beninoise who share d yoruba language with us know the yoruba tribe 2well than 2say anythin yoruba was affiliate of any other kingdom,the great OYO empire was the 1st colonial master of the bini people get that in2 ur archives of history if u know not now!!!
JE KI WON MO!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by baby124: 2:35pm On Aug 20, 2014
itsIYKE: igbos Hve been cookin egwusi nd eatin soup before ur ancestor x was conceived,its even included in some ancient igbo cleansing ritual so stop talkin like a slowpoke
Mad man. Have you finished, retard. It's still a native Yoruba soup. And Egusi is the Yoruba name.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kaysalas(m): 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2014
rocgirl:

I'm so certain Amebo isn't a yoruba word,neither is mumu .
Egusi is definately not a Yoruba word too,as writtings and history before the civil war did show it was an eastern delicacy that became a favourite of several other tribes with different variations in pronounciation of the word. The Yorubas pronounces it as 'Eeegusi'.
Also, wouldn't be so wrong if i said eba isn't Yoruba. Cassava,at a time in history,happened to be a fav crop of the s/e's and some s/s's just the way cocoa and yam(cuts across tribes) was to the s/w. It was used to make several meals ranging from 'Abasha''Akpun'miri' etc. The yorubas had 'Amala' made from yam.
There's still this popular joke by some southern tribes, on how the Yorubas, even though they've tried,couldn't make the perfect Bendel or Igbo garri that wasn't 'smelling' and 'sour' at the same time. (Ijebu garri).
while I also dispute amebo & mumu being a Yoruba word, I must say u r in a delusional grandeur for basing or egusi origin on 'writings' b4 d civil war when you know fully well that there had been inter-tribe migration since God knws when and a silly joke you heard from ...wherever. Doubt it and fabricate more tales but the fact remains that garri, eba,egusi e.t.c are youruba words.
at least, we are making progress educating you. you have dropped 'fufu' being IBO now abi? you guys are not so much of a bad student after all.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kaysalas(m): 2:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

Why then does Lagos have an Oba ? You are the one that needs the archive checking, Lagos was originally called Eko.
And you are unintelligent to know DT OBA is a Yoruba word for king.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by baby124: 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2014
whitecat007: Even Ogbono is universal. I think it's the same thing Yoruba call "Ishapa" in the heartland.
Ogbono is called Apon in Yoruba
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 20, 2014
Kaysalas:
And you are unintelligent to know DT OBA is a Yoruba word for king.

So you were taught.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nelson1235: 2:47pm On Aug 20, 2014
No mind them, bro
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kaysalas(m): 2:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: I see no reasons whatsoever to argue with you, we aren't on the same scale and platform of understanding. If I keep replying you, you would succeed in condescending me to your low pedestal.
Easy way out. but come to think of it..why to you ibos always result to insults, (brute or subtle)when confronted with superior arguments?are you that lacking in ideas?
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kaysalas(m): 2:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
Easy way out. but come to think of it..why do you ibos always result to insults, (however brute or subtle)when confronted with superior arguments?are you that lacking in ideas?
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nelson1235: 2:50pm On Aug 20, 2014
DikeOha882: How can you say Akara+Wuman is Yoruba + english? Akara is Igbo not Yoruba. It should have been Igbo + English

No mind dem
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by baby124: 2:52pm On Aug 20, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Lai lai is Yoruba short for Laiye Laiye. Meaning not in two life times. Meaning never.

Same as Moyin Moyin is short for moi moi. Just easier to pronounce when shortened and making a statement
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 20, 2014
Kaysalas:
while I also dispute amebo & mumu being a Yoruba word, I must say u r in a delusional grandeur for basing or egusi origin on 'writings' b4 d civil war when you know fully well that there had been inter-tribe migration since God knws when and a silly joke you heard from ...wherever. Doubt it and fabricate more tales but the fact remains that garri, eba,egusi e.t.c are youruba words.
at least, we are making progress educating you. you have dropped 'fufu' being IBO now abi? you guys are not so much of a bad student after all.

Most of these words boils down to our vowels and consonants ; for ex.bini pronounce eba 'ebai' so as such I can say it is from bini, been also that cassava grows naturally in the south south.
Bu I never knew that the yorubas see egusi, eba, ogbono as indingenious delicacies.
I though they are more with ewedu, gbegiri, amala etc. Very soon someone will say Owo is a yoruba soup gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kaysalas(m): 2:58pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

So you were taught.
And so you either weren't taught or so you choose to deny.
Even in my head, I can claim to be the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. keep deceiving itself.
Remember.. while I might not agree with your position, I will defend your right to express it.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by baby124: 3:00pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

Most of these words boils down to our vowels and consonants ; for ex.bini pronounce eba 'ebai' so as such I can say it is from bini, been also that cassava grows naturally in the south south.
Bu I never knew that the yorubas see egusi, eba, ogbono as indingenious delicacies.
I though they are more with ewedu, gbegiri, amala etc. Very soon someone will say Owo is a yoruba soup gringringrin
Eba has always been Yoruba. Ogbono is Apon in Yoruba language and cooked differently from south south. Egusi is Yoruba, same as Kolanut by the way. It is indigenous fruit to western Nigeria. It's called Obi, but am sure you will fight about that too.lol
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 20, 2014
Kaysalas:
And so you either weren't taught or so you choose to deny.
Even in my head, I can claim to be the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. keep deceiving itself.
Remember.. while I might not agree with your position, I will defend your right to express it.

Intelligent, but please dig deeper.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kaysalas(m): 3:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

never has any Yoruba laid claim to Ogbono as being Yoruba, so pls stop peddling LIES! And save me the pronunciation crap, it holds no water, d fact that IBO man call 'twenty' -'twainty' doesn't mean twenty is IBO. go figure my friend
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
Kaysalas:
why are u so obsessed about lagos? he never mentioned 'lagos' in his post you know. And just so you know lag is not the only former capital of naija. Oh, u tink ibos are only in lag, come inside ijoko, Lisa, aboekuta, and all d nooks of YORUBALAND and see umu IBO hussli g and belonging. don't get me wrong, I like umu IBO, but to lay claim to words like fufu,garri,egusi e.t.c I find very amusing.
who are you again? I'm not even igbo, I only had to correct some anomalies. I know igbos and other tribes and even nationalities are everywhere in Nigeria. So. What is your stress with me? I know a lot about Nigeria and its history/peoples. Don't quote me, I have no interest in arguing with you.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 20, 2014
baby124:
Eba has always been Yoruba. Ogbono is Apon in Yoruba language and cooked differently from south south. Egusi is Yoruba, same as Kolanut by the way. It is indigenous fruit to western Nigeria. It's called Obi, but am sure you will fight about that too.lol

Which of the kola-nuts, ogbono is borrowed and the eba too. You hardly go for a yoruba festivity and they serve you eba and ogbono.
You know the kola-nut is sacred to the binis, because it miraculously saved one of our Obas. So everything na yoruba, even when una nor sabi speak the pigin sef ! Na wa ooo

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kaysalas(m): 3:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

Intelligent, but please dig deeper.
first ... thanks for the compliment. but then again there is nothing to dig deeper about, I just burst your bubble. it is you who need to 'dig deeper' to find the fortitude to come to terms with the plain unadulterated truth.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

15 Things You Shouldn't Do In Public. / Car Kills Mechanic At Obalende Bridge (graphic Pic) / Lady Shows Off Her Luxurious Lifestyle To Prove It Doesn't Equate Happiness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.