Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin (43434 Views)

10 Funny Answers To Common Nigerian silly Questions / Some Common Abbreviation / Nigerian Dogs(origin Of The Word Nkita?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Haydez01(m): 12:12am On Aug 20, 2014
DikeOha882: Good, but akara is an Igbo word. Nwata n' akara n'ata ego ya. An Igbo proverb
Owo ta fi ra AKARA ni ko ki le Jeki a soonu . . . Yoruba proverb

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 12:14am On Aug 20, 2014
Haydez01:
Owo ta fi ra AKARA ni ko ki let Jeki a soonu . . . Yoruba proverb
an igbo proverb goes thus: nwata na ata akara na ata ego ya..m only God knows the true origin of the word akara... File be! Tankio

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by itsIYKE(m): 12:21am On Aug 20, 2014
baby124:

Obodo is a Niger delta word. Obodo Oyinbo is pidgin and it has Niger delta and Yoruba origins. Obodo is more warri, edo or urhobo than Igbo.
u Jst succeded in making a big joke of wateva u stnd for,.,.obodo is a fully igbo word also used by igbanke pple of edo

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Haydez01(m): 12:35am On Aug 20, 2014
itsIYKE: u Jst succeded in making a big joke of wateva u stnd for,.,.obodo is a fully igbo word also used by igbanke pple of edo
You can also trace obodo to the yoruba word "budo " which means settlement . . . . Hail the forefathers
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by favouryemmy: 12:42am On Aug 20, 2014
boku: borque. Merci borque I.e. Thank you very much. The Merci means thank you; while Borque means very much. So Naija come ku ku call am boku as in plenty.
Ah! Naija dey creative mehn!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by timmilehin(m): 12:43am On Aug 20, 2014
Silensa:

Must you wash your stinking dirty linen in public?
This goes a long way to show how you behave and how you were tutored.
Yeeeh. He pain ham
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Sowl(m): 12:43am On Aug 20, 2014
As much as i wouldnt like 2sound like a tribalist,but i am actually dissapointed @ d fact that most of our ibo brodaz want almost every chance 2compete with d yoruba race and it amuses me a whole lot, in summary it shows the ibo's cant bare 2see d yoruba race be ahead of them in wateva way,i doubt we yorubas think d same way coz if we did,we wldnt have lagos 2b d most accomodatin state in d whole of 9ja that houses almost if not all of the tribes in 9ja..... Nw i wld like 2make some clarifications about this pidgin words and there origins below.....
Iba(malaria fever) :Is clearly and undisputably a yoruba and not an ibo word
Eba : is undisputably a yoruba coinage word,i knw if ibo's where given the chance they wld also lay claim 2manufacturin garri simply bcoz we seem 2 associate d yellow version of garri as garri ibo due to there preferrence of liking it more than we the yoruba's.
Egusi(melon seed/soup]: is simply not of ibo origin,ibos cant lay claim 2it coz dey dnt even produce it on there land,if u ibos want 2lay claim 2sumthin similar then it should b ogbolo soup n its seed.
Ororo(vegetable oil): it wld only b sacrilageous 4 any1 2term ororo as a bini word,its purely n simply yoruba,bini used 2b a colony of d great OYO empire,the OYO empire also has as part of its conquest empire the some parts of togo and benin(if am nt mistaken used 2b known as dahomey) so d similarity of d language comes as no suprise coz yoruba is used in benin,togo and even bini in nigeria here,same goes 4 every colonial master and its colony with similarity in language.
Ipekere: is a yoruba word and nt an ibo word.
Pangolo(can or tin): is also a yoruba word and not of ibo origin,before slate roofs came in2 existance,yorubas used 2call d steel roof (panu),which was a short form of pangolo.
Akara(bean cake): is undisputably a yoruba word and food,ibo's and hausa and every other tribe in dis country can attest 2dat,wnt b surprised if ibo's also want 2lay claim 2 moi-moi(bean pudding) as an ibo word .
My ibo brodaz and sistaz shld look beyond mere envy and stop wateva competition they always want 2ve between they and the yoruba race,its only logical that due 2d fact that majority of d tribes in nigeria are housed and accomodated by we the yorubas,its common sense that they would all have mastered our language and ways of life 2d extent of feeling among but that doesnt mean we would loose our heritage and ways of life and hand it on a platter of gold to them ,we know who we are and what we stand for...... Its only natural for any tribe 2 socially and culturally integrate with wateva tribe that is its host in a geographical area,and the ibo's are no exception but that doesnt mean they should lay claim to whatever seems to belong to the yorubas.

7 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by whitecat007: 12:49am On Aug 20, 2014
Omo iya were!

[quote author=Ahmeduana][/quote]
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by ebankole: 12:54am On Aug 20, 2014
Akara= yoruba
Moin-Moin-yoruba
Ewedu-Yoruba
Ata-yoruba
Epo-yoruba
Garri-yoruba
Obe-yoruba
Egusi-yoruba
Oyinbo-white man-derived from Ilu oyinbo,country of the white people

If u dispute that u are on your own o
these are fact.u can ask you mother about it thats if she won't lie to u sha

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 1:04am On Aug 20, 2014
favouryemmy: boku: borque. Merci borque I.e. Thank you very much. The Merci means thank you; while Borque means very much. So Naija come ku ku call am boku as in plenty.
Ah! Naija dey creative mehn!
it is merci beaucoup, not merci borque!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 1:12am On Aug 20, 2014
Sowl: As much as i wouldnt like 2sound like a tribalist,but i am actually dissapointed @ d fact that most of our ibo brodaz want almost every chance 2compete with d yoruba race and it amuses me a whole lot, in summary it shows the ibo's cant bare 2see d yoruba race be ahead of them in wateva way,i doubt we yorubas think d same way coz if we did,we wldnt have lagos 2b d most accomodatin state in d whole of 9ja that houses almost if not all of the tribes in 9ja..... Nw i wld like 2make some clarifications about this pidgin words and there origins below.....
Eba : is undisputably a yoruba coinage word,i knw if ibo's where given the chance they wld also lay claim 2manufacturin garri simply bcoz we seem 2 associate d yellow version of garri as garri ibo due to there preferrence of liking it more than we the yoruba's.
Egusi(melon seed/soup]: is simply not of ibo origin,ibos cant lay claim 2it coz dey dnt even produce it on there land,if u ibos want 2lay claim 2sumthin similar then it should b ogbolo soup n its seed.
Ororo(vegetable oil): it wld only b sacrilageous 4 any1 2term ororo as a bini word,its purely n simply yoruba,bini used 2b a colony of d great OYO empire,the OYO empire also has as part of its conquest empire the some parts of togo and benin(if am nt mistaken used 2b known as dahomey) so d similarity of d language comes as no suprise coz yoruba is used in benin,togo and even bini in nigeria here,same goes 4 every colonial master and its colony with similarity in language.
Pangolo(can or tin): is also a yoruba word and not of ibo origin,before slate roofs came in2 existance,yorubas used 2call d steel roof (panu),which was a short form of pangolo.
Akara(bean cake): is undisputably a yoruba word and food,ibo's and hausa and every other tribe in dis country can attest 2dat,wnt b surprised if ibo's also want 2lay claim 2 moi-moi(bean pudding) as an ibo word .
My ibo brodaz and sistaz shld look beyond mere envy and stop wateva competition they always want 2ve between they and the yoruba race,its only logical that due 2d fact that majority of d tribes in nigeria are housed and accomodated by we the yorubas,its common sense that they would all have mastered our language and ways of life 2d extent of feeling among but that doesnt mean we would loose our heritage and ways of life and hand it on a platter of gold to them ,we know who we are and what we stand for...... Its only natural for any tribe 2 socially and culturally integrate with wateva tribe that is its host in a geographical area,and the ibo's are no exception but that doesnt mean they should lay claim to whatever seems to belong to the yorubas.
Taaaaaah! Igbos are not in any form of competition with any tribe or race, they are simply who they are! Speak for yourself. By the way, "Lagos" was once the nation's capital, hence the mass influx of various tribes and nationalities therein. It has nothing to do with your hospitality, all these supposed visitors pay the bills where they live and contribute majorly to the growth and development of Lagos as a state and the nation's commercial capital. No tribe or race is bigger/greater/smarter or finer than the other. God made all men. I know there are a few bad eggs in every tribe, but the many good people shouldn't be labelled bad alongside the evil ones. BTW, Igbos are hardworking/enterprising.

9 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by neuljosh(m): 1:35am On Aug 20, 2014
Jesuspistol: Which blog did you get it from

University of Hawaii not blog. The source is right there you know.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by shizzle11(m): 1:36am On Aug 20, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: Taaaaaah! Igbos are not in any form of competition with any tribe or race, they are simply who they are! Speak for yourself. By the way, "Lagos" was once the nation's capital, hence the mass influx of various tribes and nationalities therein. It has nothing to do with your hospitality, all these supposed visitors pay the bills where they live and contribute majorly to the growth and development of Lagos as a state and the nation's commercial capital. No tribe or race is bigger/greater/smarter or finer than the other. God made all men. I know there are a few bad eggs in every tribe, but the many good people shouldn't be labelled bad alongside the evil ones. BTW, Igbos are hardworking/enterprising.
you even bothered to respond to that fool, let him and his fellow yorubas keep deluding themselves with their so called hospitality. As if they gave land and houses free of charge to Igbos living in Lagos, FOOLS! From the tone of their voices, you will see the thinly veiled pain, envy and anguish all over it, just look how they are claiming virtually every pidgin word and as usual are the first to shout Igbo are competing with them.

Hospitality my foot. Bunch of deluded and irritating Iddiotts!

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by shizzle11(m): 1:41am On Aug 20, 2014
barcanista: OP PÓint of order pls!!!!
Okrika- Used wares originated from Okrika Kingdom, of Rivers State and not igbo.

Thank you
my friend, you are correct!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by whitecat007: 2:46am On Aug 20, 2014
Fufu (Yoruba) Akpu (Igbo)

Eba (Yoruba)

Mumu (Yoruba)

Amebo (Yoruba)

Gorimapa (Yoruba)

Egusi (Yoruba)

rocgirl: Lol.. gringringrin

Amebo: A gossiper...(Delta)
Mumu: Usually used to decribe a foolish person.
Gorimapa: Getting a skin cut.
Egusi: Melon seeds used to make egusi soap. (Igbo)
Eba: A meal made from cassava. (Igbo)
Fufu: A type of meal made from cassava. (Igbo)
Bambiala: Beggar (Hausa)
Opelenge: Used to describe a thin person. (Yoruba)
Nyansh: The *coughs*,and most recently,used to denote seX. (Can't tell what language it originated from).
Lai-Lai: Means saying'no',showing 'disapproval' or 'disagreeing' to something. (It's a yoruba word.)
Odukun: Potatoes.
Blon-Blon: Balloon (English)
Sh.it: Excreta(English)
Mess: Farting (English)
Kelembe: Mucus. (Yoruba)

gringringringrin
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 2:57am On Aug 20, 2014
shizzle11:
you even bothered to respond to that fool, let him and his fellow yorubas keep deluding themselves with their so called hospitality. As if they gave land and houses free of charge to Igbos living in Lagos, FOOLS! From the tone of their voices, you will see the thinly veiled pain, envy and anguish all over it, just look how they are claiming virtually every pidgin word and as usual are the first to shout Igbo are competing with them.

Hospitality my foot. Bunch of deluded and irritating Iddiotts!
I don't hate Yorubas or any tribe. As a matter of fact, I come from a family so large that I have relatives from different tribes and races. When you have a big extended family, its hard to be tribalistic. What I will not tolerate is that fellow I replied and the likes of him who are so narrow-minded. He sounds unenlightened and shallow! Knowing how to write in English doesn't mean some people understand what the world is all about. In life, I ve had sweet, sour and unsavoury experiences with different kinds of people and I don't generalise that all hausa or Binis or Igbos or yorubas are good 100% or bad 100%. I tell each story as it comes and tag the culprits according to their characters, not according to their race or tribe. I can laugh at some igbo jokes(taunts) with my non-igbo friends and family. It never brews a fight! One love.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by whitecat007: 3:13am On Aug 20, 2014
Is it that ibos don't have names for these things or they are just playing around, cos last time I checked, we don't speak the same language, so how come the origins of these words are complicated?

Sowl: As much as i wouldnt like 2sound like a tribalist,but i am actually dissapointed @ d fact that most of our ibo brodaz want almost every chance 2compete with d yoruba race and it amuses me a whole lot, in summary it shows the ibo's cant bare 2see d yoruba race be ahead of them in wateva way,i doubt we yorubas think d same way coz if we did,we wldnt have lagos 2b d most accomodatin state in d whole of 9ja that houses almost if not all of the tribes in 9ja..... Nw i wld like 2make some clarifications about this pidgin words and there origins below.....
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Tonylyte(m): 3:48am On Aug 20, 2014
dellaziz:

guy I catch u today
Della!!! Hw far? U scarce pass znamp oooo!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by whitecat007: 4:01am On Aug 20, 2014
Even Ogbono is universal. I think it's the same thing Yoruba call "Ishapa" in the heartland.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by igboboy1(m): 4:12am On Aug 20, 2014
Ahmeduana:
[quote author=whitecat007]
Can anyone beat this?
Se
Abi
Oga
Owanbe - only in lagos
Ponmon
Danfo - only in lagos
Molue - only in lagos
Ankara
Tatase
Gbedu
Agbero
Omonile - only in lagos
Ode
Didirin - only in lagos
Oponu - only in lagos
Olodo
Aso ebi
Gele
ipele - only in lagos
Ogiri - only in lagos
AND U PERFECT EXAMPLES OF THOSE TRASH YOU TYP!

modified the above cos some of the words above you dont hear outside of lagos/ yoruba enclave.. Born and raised in warri and i never hear didirin, oponu, ipele, ogiri before... Words like danfo and molue we all know but it is not used like that in Warri.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by penzino(m): 4:35am On Aug 20, 2014
rocgirl: Lol.. gringringrin

Amebo: A gossiper...(Delta)
Mumu: Usually used to decribe a foolish person.
Gorimapa: Getting a skin cut.
Egusi: Melon seeds used to make egusi soap. (Igbo)
Eba: A meal made from cassava. (Igbo)
Fufu: A type of meal made from cassava. (Igbo)
Bambiala: Beggar (Hausa)
Opelenge: Used to describe a thin person. (Yoruba)
Nyansh: The *coughs*,and most recently,used to denote seX. (Can't tell what language it originated from).
Lai-Lai: Means saying'no',showing 'disapproval' or 'disagreeing' to something. (It's a yoruba word.)
Odukun: Potatoes.
Blon-Blon: Balloon (English)
Sh.it: Excreta(English)
Mess: Farting (English)
Kelembe: Mucus. (Yoruba)

gringringringrin
What of kalanbolo : skin cut
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by AriDsexy(f): 5:13am On Aug 20, 2014
Aproko...gossip
Godeh...God
Mileh and paleh..mum and dad
Pepper or bar…..money
Packaging..outward appearance
Baffs...clothing
Smallie...sibling
I hail...grettings....Waffi,I truly hail
grin grin
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by bollify(m): 5:14am On Aug 20, 2014
I'm not suprised that some yoruba guys are claiming kpangolo, ororo and some others as yoruba words if someone could claim that 'doti' is originally a yoruba word. That's because they are now so used to the words that they feel its their language... Anyway na una sabi o
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 5:39am On Aug 20, 2014
Haydez01:
I'm a yoruba guy serving in Benin, most benin words are yoruba words that has different meaning and/or spelling variations. If you know history, oranmiyan found benin so stop claiming those words as benin words

You don't know ibinu (bini) people, or history. The bini's oringinated from Egypt they were more than 14 ogiso's (Then rulers of the kingdom) before they had the Oranmiyan contact. And if I may ask, what is the meaning of Oduduwa in yoruba ?

And to topic, the first Nigerian to speak a foreign language was Oba Eware the great in the 14th century (Potuguese), and there was no itshekiri, urhobo or what we call the bendel tribes because they were still biniks before they migrated out of kingdom as chiefs due to harsh laws by the oba's.
As a result in trying to speak 'potoki' the bini's with the advent of pigin.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 5:51am On Aug 20, 2014

Originally Lagos isn't a yoruba town, it was founded by an Edo Oba who was going for war and stopped there (calling it Eko' which means resting place'). Neither did he lay claim to it.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by emmanuelcrawler(m): 6:00am On Aug 20, 2014
Tazmode: 4 yoruba, una 4get 2 put 'a' for 'agberó' meaning 'tout' and 4 Hausa, 'd' 4 'dan iska' meaning 'son of breeze' grin
4 igbo una 4 get to put aruba m*# meaning my man
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Ibyno(m): 6:03am On Aug 20, 2014
barcanista: OP PÓint of order pls!!!!
Okrika- Used wares originated from Okrika Kingdom, of Rivers State and not igbo.

Thank you

In the year 1806, when river state have not been name, they use to be under imo state, the people of that area use to be naked, so when igbo are going to give out there use cloth, they said they are going to OKRIKA, that's how the name come about .

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by lacidi: 6:29am On Aug 20, 2014
'Tey' e.g. E don tey
Derived from the Igbo word 'tee' or 'o tee' e.g. O 'tee' go aka kemgbe m na eche gi. I ha ahu e 'tee' la aka.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 6:33am On Aug 20, 2014
Ibyno:

In the year 1806, when river state have not been name, they use to be under imo state, the people of that area use to be naked, so when igbo are going to give out there use cloth, they said they are going to OKRIKA, that's how the name come about .
Another self dilussion. Ijaw has never been under any group and Okrika has always been Okrika. I shouldn't av even bothered myself. No be only imo na sokoto state

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by ElekeNtioba: 6:38am On Aug 20, 2014
kekakuz: [size=16pt]
origin of pidgin in Nigeria can be traced to when the Igbos migrated from their land due to erosion dirt and poverty to lagos
they needed to communicate and do business but they lacked education so they just mumble the little English they can hear e.g
give me food make I chop
a beg make una give me house because poverty dey for our place
your money or your life.
I go shoot you if you no give me your car key
tuface don release new album make we pirate am
etc
that is the origin of pidgin in Nigeria
[/size]

the busybody mukina2 wont see this post.

Phucking cowards!!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by ElekeNtioba: 6:44am On Aug 20, 2014
barcanista: Another self dilussion. Ijaw has never been under any group and Okrika has always been Okrika. I shouldn't av even bothered myself. No be only imo na sokoto state

keep quiet when pple are educating u!!. The used clothing coming out from okrika kingdom was called 'okrika' by major dealers who happened to be majorly Igbos. The ppl of d kingdom never for a day referred to d commodity with the name of their kingdom. Up until d end of d civil war, d Igbos were d largest group that traversed present-day Rivers State.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Sowl(m): 6:53am On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

Originally Lagos isn't a yoruba town, it was founded by an Edo Oba who was going for war and stopped there (calling it Eko' which means resting place'). Neither did he lay claim to it.

It would b callous for any1 2bring up such fermented and fabricated fallacy of corrupt history sayin lagos was a discovery of an oba 4rm edo bcoz it makes no sense watsoeva,even d togolese and beninoise who share d yoruba language with us know the yoruba tribe 2well than 2say anythin yoruba was affiliate of any other kingdom,the great OYO empire was the 1st colonial master of the bini people get that in2 ur archives of history if u know not now!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Car Kills Mechanic At Obalende Bridge (graphic Pic) / Security Official Snaps His Colleague Fighting A Man In Lagos (Pic) / Lady Shows Off Her Luxurious Lifestyle To Prove It Doesn't Equate Happiness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.