Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin - Nairaland / General (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin (43386 Views)

10 Funny Answers To Common Nigerian silly Questions / Some Common Abbreviation / Nigerian Dogs(origin Of The Word Nkita?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kaysalas(m): 6:58am On Aug 20, 2014
A beg, what is d origin of:
Chai! Chai!Chai!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Sowl(m): 7:02am On Aug 20, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: Taaaaaah! Igbos are not in any form of competition with any tribe or race, they are simply who they are! Speak for yourself. By the way, "Lagos" was once the nation's capital, hence the mass influx of various tribes and nationalities therein. It has nothing to do with your hospitality, all these supposed visitors pay the bills where they live and contribute majorly to the growth and development of Lagos as a state and the nation's commercial capital. No tribe or race is bigger/greater/smarter or finer than the other. God made all men. I know there are a few bad eggs in every tribe, but the many good people shouldn't be labelled bad alongside the evil ones. BTW, Igbos are hardworking/enterprising.

Ever since the capital was shifted from lagos to abuja what then as kept the other tribes from switching geographical if they didnt find there yoruba landlords accomodating ,its been over 24yrs since lagos was last a capital of nigeria so dont tell me lagos has d highest population of other tribes because it was once a former capital,now that abuja is the seat of power then d mass influx theory postulated by you should favor abuja to the detriment of lagos.......NB and caveat emptor it wld b a grave and unforgivable sin against d accomodating and hospitable feature of the yoruba race if any one of the other races tries to label lagos as a ''no man's land'' it is utterly sacrilageous and dastardly of them to think so. Non of the other races would never try that with the hausas in kano or kaduna even as they are also the commercial hub of the north with so many other tribes settling in these cities!!
We yoruba's due to our nature have risen above the art of envy of other tribes and look to embrace whatever would naturally bring forth peace to our beloved country nigeria.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 7:31am On Aug 20, 2014
Haydez01:
Owo ta fi ra AKARA ni ko ki le Jeki a soonu . . . Yoruba proverb
What is dis one saying.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Bowaley17(m): 7:53am On Aug 20, 2014
Bakassi - Backside
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by shizzle11(m): 8:25am On Aug 20, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: I don't hate Yorubas or any tribe. As a matter of fact, I come from a family so large that I have relatives from different tribes and races. When you have a big extended family, its hard to be tribalistic. What I will not tolerate is that fellow I replied and the likes of him who are so narrow-minded. He sounds unenlightened and shallow! Knowing how to write in English doesn't mean some people understand what the world is all about. In life, I ve had sweet, sour and unsavoury experiences with different kinds of people and I don't generalise that all hausa or Binis or Igbos or yorubas are good 100% or bad 100%. I tell each story as it comes and tag the culprits according to their characters, not according to their race or tribe. I can laugh at some igbo jokes(taunts) with my non-igbo friends and family. It never brews a fight! One love.
Exactly! so shallow that they are always lost in their pseudo hospitality, swimming in the pool of delusion as if evil people and criminality are alien to Yoruba, and they are always eager to go on the defensive.

Treating issues according to character isnt in their dictionary, they are quick to turn it to Igbo bashing thread even when it has nothing to do with Igbo they are quick to attack igbos, such is the nightmares anything Igbo gives them. From the first page, they already infected thread with their usual unwarranted madness, laying claims to virtually every word Bini, Igbo etc. Pathetic lots.

One love sis!

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by oluamid(m): 8:26am On Aug 20, 2014
whitecat007: Even Ogbono is universal. I think it's the same thing Yoruba call "Ishapa" in the heartland.

Wrong. Ishapa and Ogbono are as different as night and day. Ishapa is a kind of vegetable(?) delicacy eaten mostly in Ondo and Ekiti states.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by shizzle11(m): 8:30am On Aug 20, 2014
Kaysalas: A beg, what is d origin of:
Chai! Chai!Chai!
Chai is actually an igbo exclamation for expressing surprise/ shock but I know you have PEJ in mind gringringrin

diarris.....cheesy
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Sexytemi(f): 8:34am On Aug 20, 2014
oboy3: chai-(an exclamation)- igbo

owu-broke,thread - igbo

egwusi -pumpkin seed - igbo

okra-from the igbo word okwuru

obodo oyibo-overseas - igbo

iba-fever- igbo

chaiiiiii ehhhhh, are u high on smfin, or is smfin highing u, how can u say owu is an igbo word?, its yoruba ooooo, means different things sef, and also iba?, Abeg go n check ur self, iba is a yoruba word by birth oooooo, so sir, take note oooo, even the akara, moi-moi, ororo, pangolo are all yoruba words o.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by dellaziz(m): 8:37am On Aug 20, 2014
Tonylyte:
Della!!! Hw far? U scarce pass znamp oooo!
Lol... zmapp lounloun... I dey like holy ghost fire jus b say I dey Anoda realm

how far nau
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 8:44am On Aug 20, 2014
Guykhena:
smiley

Na Edo win am oooo
"Kpangolo" grin grin grin this cracks me up all the time..
Me too cheesy cheesy
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:48am On Aug 20, 2014
Tazmode: 4 yoruba, una 4get 2 put 'a' for 'agberó' meaning 'tout' and 4 Hausa, 'd' 4 'dan iska' meaning 'son of breeze' grin

you are right. Iska actually means breeze/winds. it also is another term for the Gods-spirits.
Plural: Iskoki .
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 20, 2014
DikeOha882: Good, but akara is an Igbo word. Nwata n' akara n'ata ego ya. An Igbo proverb

better, but akara is also ijinle Yoruba. B'omode ba royin a sakara danu sigbo'. A Yoruba adage
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:57am On Aug 20, 2014
rocgirl:
Lai-Lai: Means saying'no',showing 'disapproval' or 'disagreeing' to something. (It's a yoruba word.)

Lai-Lai is from Arabic . La means no in Arabic.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by OsoDupe(f): 9:09am On Aug 20, 2014
Guykhena:
smiley

Na Edo win am oooo
"Kpangolo" grin grin grin this cracks me up all the time..
most of these edo words are Yoruba words. Edo people originate from Yoruba land. Akara is a Yoruba word

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by rocgirl: 9:27am On Aug 20, 2014
whitecat007: Fufu (Yoruba) Akpu (Igbo)

Eba (Yoruba)

Mumu (Yoruba)

Amebo (Yoruba)

Gorimapa (Yoruba)

Egusi(Yoruba)

I'm so certain Amebo isn't a yoruba word,neither is mumu .
Egusi is definately not a Yoruba word too,as writtings and history before the civil war did show it was an eastern delicacy that became a favourite of several other tribes with different variations in pronounciation of the word. The Yorubas pronounces it as 'Eeegusi'.
Also, wouldn't be so wrong if i said eba isn't Yoruba. Cassava,at a time in history,happened to be a fav crop of the s/e's and some s/s's just the way cocoa and yam(cuts across tribes) was to the s/w. It was used to make several meals ranging from 'Abasha''Akpun'miri' etc. The yorubas had 'Amala' made from yam.
There's still this popular joke by some southern tribes, on how the Yorubas, even though they've tried,couldn't make the perfect Bendel or Igbo garri that wasn't 'smelling' and 'sour' at the same time. (Ijebu garri).

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 20, 2014
Sowl:
It would b callous for any1 2bring up such fermented and fabricated fallacy of corrupt history sayin lagos was a discovery of an oba 4rm edo bcoz it makes no sense watsoeva,even d togolese and beninoise who share d yoruba language with us know the yoruba tribe 2well than 2say anythin yoruba was affiliate of any other kingdom,the great OYO empire was the 1st colonial master of the bini people get that in2 ur archives of history if u know not now!!!

Why then does Lagos have an Oba ? You are the one that needs the archive checking, Lagos was originally called Eko.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by obongtunji: 10:03am On Aug 20, 2014
OP, Koboko and dabaru are not hausa words please
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 20, 2014
marioking:

better, but akara is also ijinle Yoruba. B'omode ba royin a sakara danu sigbo'. A Yoruba adage
wetin dis one dey talk.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by kekakuz(m): 10:07am On Aug 20, 2014
ElekeNtioba:

the busybody mukina2 wont see this post.

Phucking cowards!!

you called mukina a phuking what?

ban dey smell for your head

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 20, 2014
OsoDupe: most of these edo words are Yoruba words. Edo people originate from Yoruba land. Akara is a Yoruba word

Akara is a bini word, fro 'Eka' pronounced A-ka where the word akara came from. And 80percent of yoruba came fron Benin, please get your facts. And please use the word origin rightly next time or check your dictionary/google.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 20, 2014
Ikebe(ass)- igbo. Jara(discount)- igbo..
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 20, 2014
We are talking about pigin and the three major Nigerian tribes are laying claim to it advent , but the last time I checked Huasas, Yorubas and the Ibos don't actually speaking pigin in their towns, what you do is just to add some part of your language to English. The real people that speak pigin are those from the south-south especially the former bendel. So we all need to be clear of this

The south-south can boast of 4-generations of pigin speaking people if not even more.

Una doo'
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Sowl(m): 10:43am On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

Why then does Lagos have an Oba ? You are the one that needs the archive checking, Lagos was originally called Eko.

smh pitifully bcoz of ur chronic ignorance..... I doubt if u are a graduate coz if u are one,u shld knw beta dat all yoruba kings are addressed as ''OBA's'' ,OBA is actually a borrowed word by d bini pple 4rm d yoruba race,go bak 2ur history books and school urslf properly abt basic histry.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by lorRhyMeZ: 10:45am On Aug 20, 2014
neuljosh: Naijá Pigin is open to a lot of influences from English and local Nigerian languages, especially from Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba and the Edo and other group of languages spoken in the Niger Delta.

While much of the vocabulary of Naijá Pigin is derived from English its major lexifier, the rest of the vocabulary come from its other contributory languages such as Edo, Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba, as well as a significant contribution from Portuguese. See the following examples.

From English:

chop------------‘to eat/to consume’
domot----------- ‘door mouth area’
doti-------------‘dirt’
pesin------------ ‘someone’
trowe------------‘throw away’
tok---------------‘to speak’
waka-------------‘to walk’

From the Edo:

kpangolo----------'container’
kpekere-----------‘plantain chips’
okada-------------‘motor-bike’
ororo--------------‘vegetable oil’
ozeba-------------‘a big problem’

From Hausa:

dabaru-----------‘to destroy’
dogo-------------‘a tall person’
gworo------------‘cola nut’
koboko-----------‘horse whip’
suya-------------‘spicy grilled meat’

From Igbo:

akamu----------- ‘corn starch /pap’
biko--------------‘please’
obodo------------‘land/country’
okrika------------‘second-handed item’
ogbanje----------‘a water spirit’
ugu--------------‘pumpkin leaves’

From Yoruba:

adire-------------‘tie and dye’
agbo-------------‘herbal medicine’
ashawo----------‘a prostitute’
shakara----------‘show-off’
she--------------‘hope’
shele-------------‘happen/take place’

From Portuguese:

kpalava-----------`trouble’
pikin-------------- ‘child’
sabi-------------- ‘to know’

Compounding

akara-wuman---------- Yoruba/Igbo+English---------------- ‘a women who fries and sells bean cakes’
boku-bai--------------- French + English-------------- ‘wholesale’
egbe-weja------------- Edo + English----------------- ‘a bouncer at a club, a thug or hoodlum’
go-slo----------------- English + English-------------- ‘traffic jam’
ova-sabi--------------- English+Portuguese----------- ‘one who shows he knows too much’

boku∙boku------------- French---------- ‘in large number’
boi∙boi---------------- English---------------- ‘a male household servant’
sabi∙sabi-------------- Portuguese------------ ‘someone who thinks he or she knows everything’
waka∙waka------------ English---------------- ‘someone who about aimlessly or without any destination’ or ‘a prostitute’

Op nice work buh point of correction pls.. Dagbaru and koboko aint of hausa origin..
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 20, 2014
Sowl:
smh pitifully bcoz of ur chronic ignorance..... I doubt if u are a graduate coz if u are one,u shld knw beta dat all yoruba kings are addressed as ''OBA's'' ,OBA is actually a borrowed word by d bini pple 4rm d yoruba race,go bak 2ur history books and school urslf properly abt basic histry.

So I have to be a gradute to know history ; errmmm don't want to be that kind of graduate. How come other superior yoruba Obas are not addresses as such.
Why call them Oni of Ife, Alafin of Oyo etc You still fail to understand that Oba is a bini word
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 20, 2014
Sowl:

So I have to be a gradute to know history ; errmmm don't want to be that kind of graduate. How come other superior yoruba Obas are not addresses as such.
Why call them Oni of Ife, Alafin of Oyo etc You still fail to understand that Oba is a bini word, and do you even know the meaning of the word yoruba in your dialet ?
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Sowl(m): 11:41am On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

Why call them Oni of Ife, Alafin of Oyo etc You still fail to understand that Oba is a bini word

No need wasting time,energy and MB arguing with a chronic,substandard and unrepentant ignoramus like urslf... Believe whatever you choose 2bliv .... Ur life ur choice so its non of my biz!!!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 11:49am On Aug 20, 2014
HISTORY OF LAGOS

Wikipedia

Prior to the Portuguese name of Lagos being adopted, Lagos was called Eko, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink, by its Benin conquerors.

Around 650 years ago the Oba of Benin sent trade expeditions to Ghana, where spices were traded, and one of his traders complained about the way she was being treated by the Awori people. The Oba of Benin then sent a trade expedition by sea which declined to engage the people and returned to what is now called Benin City where he reported to the Oba of Benin that they were attacked. This prompted the Oba of Benin to assemble a war expedition led by Ado, a Benin Prince. The expedition went to Lagos and demanded an explanation.

On getting there, they were well received. The people were so enamored with Ado they asked him to stay and lead them. He agreed on the condition that they surrendered their sovereignty to the Oba of Benin to which they agreed. The Oba of Benin was told this and he gave his permission for the expedition to remain. The Oba of Benin later sent some of his chiefs, including the Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro and others, to assist Ado in the running of Eko.

Till today, the Oba of Lagos is the head of all the Kings in Lagos State and his status is different from other Oba's most of whom were later given back their crowns and staff of office only within the last 40 years. Those who got their crowns back were the original land owners (Olofin's children). Modern-day Lagosians have so intermingled that no single tribe or people can claim it even though the predominant language is Yoruba.

The present day Lagos state has a higher percent of this sub-group who allegedly migrated to the area from Isheri along the Ogun river. History has it that the Awori were actually from Ife, the cradle of Yorubaland. The Awori people are a peaceful people initially not taken to warfare. Due to war, those from the hinterlands, like the Ekiti, ran towards Isheri, which at that time had more than one Olofin (Alafin)who were heads of settlements about 1400AD.

With the fleeing people from the hinterlands most of them scattered again, some to Iro, to Otta, Ado, others to Ebute Metta i.e. three landing places - Oyingbo, Iddo Island and Lagos Island (Eko). The Olofin that brought those who went to Ebute-Metta was Ogunfunminire later known as Agbodere. With the full commencement of the war about 2000 moved to the nearest island of Iddo, others to Otto Awori or Otto Ijanikin towards modern-day Badagry. Those from Ekiti Aramoko came to Ebute-Metta, Iddo and then Ijora.

After the demise of Agbodere, the name Olofin became the name used to remember him while a title of Oloto was given to his successor. With one of his sons becoming the Oloto his other children parted ways to what is known as visible settlements in present-day Lagos.

Until the coming of the Benins, Lagos's geographic boundary was Lagos Mainland. Lagos Island, the seat of the Oba of Lagos, then consisted of a pepper farm and fishing posts. No one lived there. The name Eko was given to it by its first king, Oba Ado, during its early history; it also saw periods of rule by the Kingdom of Benin.

Eko was the land area now known as Lagos Island where the king's palace was built. The palace is called Iga Idunganran, meaning "palace built on the pepper farm". Oba Ado and the warriors from Benin, as well as some of the indigenous people who sought safety, settled down in the southern part of Eko called "Isale Eko", Isale literally meaning bottom, but must have been used to indicate downtown (as in Downtown Lagos).
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 12:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan: HISTORY OF LAGOS

Wikipedia

Prior to the Portuguese name of Lagos being adopted, Lagos was called Eko, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink, by its Benin conquerors.

Around 650 years ago the Oba of Benin sent trade expeditions to Ghana, where spices were traded, and one of his traders complained about the way she was being treated by the Awori people. The Oba of Benin then sent a trade expedition by sea which declined to engage the people and returned to what is now called Benin City where he reported to the Oba of Benin that they were attacked. This prompted the Oba of Benin to assemble a war expedition led by Ado, a Benin Prince. The expedition went to Lagos and demanded an explanation.

On getting there, they were well received. The people were so enamored with Ado they asked him to stay and lead them. He agreed on the condition that they surrendered their sovereignty to the Oba of Benin to which they agreed. The Oba of Benin was told this and he gave his permission for the expedition to remain. The Oba of Benin later sent some of his chiefs, including the Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro and others, to assist Ado in the running of Eko.

Till today, the Oba of Lagos is the head of all the Kings in Lagos State and his status is different from other Oba's most of whom were later given back their crowns and staff of office only within the last 40 years. Those who got their crowns back were the original land owners (Olofin's children). Modern-day Lagosians have so intermingled that no single tribe or people can claim it even though the predominant language is Yoruba.

The present day Lagos state has a higher percent of this sub-group who allegedly migrated to the area from Isheri along the Ogun river. History has it that the Awori were actually from Ife, the cradle of Yorubaland. The Awori people are a peaceful people initially not taken to warfare. Due to war, those from the hinterlands, like the Ekiti, ran towards Isheri, which at that time had more than one Olofin (Alafin)who were heads of settlements about 1400AD.

With the fleeing people from the hinterlands most of them scattered again, some to Iro, to Otta, Ado, others to Ebute Metta i.e. three landing places - Oyingbo, Iddo Island and Lagos Island (Eko). The Olofin that brought those who went to Ebute-Metta was Ogunfunminire later known as Agbodere. With the full commencement of the war about 2000 moved to the nearest island of Iddo, others to Otto Awori or Otto Ijanikin towards modern-day Badagry. Those from Ekiti Aramoko came to Ebute-Metta, Iddo and then Ijora.

After the demise of Agbodere, the name Olofin became the name used to remember him while a title of Oloto was given to his successor. With one of his sons becoming the Oloto his other children parted ways to what is known as visible settlements in present-day Lagos.

Until the coming of the Benins, Lagos's geographic boundary was Lagos Mainland. Lagos Island, the seat of the Oba of Lagos, then consisted of a pepper farm and fishing posts. No one lived there. The name Eko was given to it by its first king, Oba Ado, during its early history; it also saw periods of rule by the Kingdom of Benin.

Eko was the land area now known as Lagos Island where the king's palace was built. The palace is called Iga Idunganran, meaning "palace built on the pepper farm". Oba Ado and the warriors from Benin, as well as some of the indigenous people who sought safety, settled down in the southern part of Eko called "Isale Eko", Isale literally meaning bottom, but must have been used to indicate downtown (as in Downtown Lagos).

No one tribe can lay claim to Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 20, 2014
Sowl:
No need wasting time,energy and MB arguing with a chronic,substandard and unrepentant ignoramus like urslf... Believe whatever you choose 2bliv .... Ur life ur choice so its non of my biz!!!

Please learn how to argue without sentinments and names calling, this is a faceless forum. Whatever you say or call me doesn't change anything.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by OsoDupe(f): 12:56pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

Akara is a bini word, fro 'Eka' pronounced A-ka where the word akara came from. And 80percent of yoruba came fron Benin, please get your facts. And please use the word origin rightly next time or check your dictionary/google.
Each tribe, different origin story, according to Yoruba history, Oba of benin was one of Oduduwa's son, so I get my fact right before writing at all go and check benin's history and ask why most people in ur village have Yoruba names.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
shizzle11:
Exactly! so shallow that they are always lost in their pseudo hospitality, swimming in the pool of delusion as if evil people and criminality are alien to Yoruba, and they are always eager to go on the defensive.

Treating issues according to character isnt in their dictionary, they are quick to turn it to Igbo bashing thread even when it has nothing to do with Igbo they are quick to attack igbos, such is the nightmares anything Igbo gives them. From the first page, they already infected thread with their usual unwarranted madness, laying claims to virtually every word Bini, Igbo etc. Pathetic lots.

One love sis!
God bless you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

15 Things You Shouldn't Do In Public. / Car Kills Mechanic At Obalende Bridge (graphic Pic) / Lady Shows Off Her Luxurious Lifestyle To Prove It Doesn't Equate Happiness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.