Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training (14747 Views)

Ask The Doctor / The Doctor Said She Should Get Married On Time / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by lomaxx: 8:24pm On Aug 19, 2014
Most respectful cephalo-caudal greetings to my chiefs in the house. Straight to the point, the issue of overseas training for the Nigerian doctor has been heralded by a myriad of questions- most unanswered and unattended to. This has necessitated a compendium of what you must know about overseas training as a doctor. I stumbled on an ebook to that effect and it is in the most bit very comprehensive.

So in my usual spirit of doing-the-little-I-can-for-my-fellow-Nigerian-out-there, I'll like to share with medical doctors and students who want to explore career possibilities outside the shores of Nigeria and hopefully come back one day to make the system better than the quagmire it is right now.

The countries covered are United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.

For those interested, drop your emails and I'll forward it to you.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by olukiki: 8:34pm On Aug 19, 2014
Kindly forward it to me . aburotimi@yahoo.com
Thanx a bunch
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by lomaxx: 8:42pm On Aug 19, 2014
olukiki: Kindly forward it to me . aburotimi@yahoo.com
Thanx a bunch

Sent!
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by UromOta(m): 9:00pm On Aug 19, 2014
diz ma email. Uromotamaths@gmail.com. tnk u
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 19, 2014
Come back where?

to come and be carrying placards all over the street like thugs? angry https://www.nairaland.com/1863166/doctors-hit-lagos-streets-protest
after all this nonsense I'm going through in med school? angry
Tufia-to-the-kwa undecided

3 Likes

Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by lomaxx: 9:18pm On Aug 19, 2014
alutacontinua: Come back where?

to come and be carrying placards all over the street like thugs? angry https://www.nairaland.com/1863166/doctors-hit-lagos-streets-protest
after all this nonsense I'm going through in med school? angry
Tufia-to-the-kwa undecided

My 5-year old cousin benefitted from my diagnosis of laryngotracheitis one week ago.The diagnosis was missed by many before me.

I nearly lost my 14 year old brother to status asthmaticus roughly a month ago. I was able to salvage that terrible situation in the midst of a panicking family.

I met a girl for the first time some months back. We were supposed to have fun, but then she started her medical history tales. They were unusual for a girl of her age. She's been managed unsuccessfully for months now. Then something about her history was striking- I reached and felt her pulse, I wanted to check the radio-radial synchrony. Alas!! There was a significant radio-radial delay. That was the first time ever I picked a radio-radial delay. I made my provisional diagnosis.

Each time I think of the many people medical knowledge has helped through me, leaving is very guilt-driven. And that's the plight of many who have stayed back to rescue what's left of the situation. They're the real heroes.

Big rhetorical question: If we all leave, who will care for the ones behind? Just think about it.

14 Likes

Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by lomaxx: 9:18pm On Aug 19, 2014
UromOta: diz ma email. Uromotamaths@gmail.com. tnk u

Sent
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by compunigeria: 9:26pm On Aug 19, 2014
will appreciate it too @yahoo.com thanks
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by lomaxx: 9:34pm On Aug 19, 2014
compunigeria: will appreciate it too compunigeria@yahoo.com thanks

Sent
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by amaham(m): 9:46pm On Aug 19, 2014
Abeg -amahma4u@yahoo.com
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by dohyn(m): 9:50pm On Aug 19, 2014
I'm interested. Here's my email doink12ng@yahoo.com . Thanks
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by charleymed(m): 10:10pm On Aug 19, 2014
kelechi. uc@gmail.com
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by labodinho: 10:25pm On Aug 19, 2014
Labodihoo@gmail.com
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by Lagusta(m): 11:28pm On Aug 19, 2014
lomaxx:

My 5-year old cousin benefitted from my diagnosis of laryngotracheitis one week ago.The diagnosis was missed by many before me.

I nearly lost my 14 year old brother to status asthmaticus roughly a month ago. I was able to salvage that terrible situation in the midst of a panicking family.

I met a girl for the first time some months back. We were supposed to have fun, but then she started her medical history tales. They were unusual for a girl of her age. She's been managed unsuccessfully for months now. Then something about her history was striking- I reached and felt her pulse, I wanted to check the radio-radial synchrony. Alas!! There was a significant radio-radial delay. That was the first time ever I picked a radio-radial delay. I made my provisional diagnosis.

Each time I think of the many people medical knowledge has helped through me, leaving is very guilt-driven. And that's the plight of many who have stayed back to rescue what's left of the situation. They're the real heroes.

Big rhetorical question: If we all leave, who will care for the ones behind? Just think about it.

you may want to stay back bro, but when you get to the REAL WORLD and see different types of patients, with all sorts of families frustrating your life, with the fat nurses worsening the condition... Then you'd realise being a hero in nigeria ain't worth it....

All doctors have good days and bad days... I've had alot of good days, and some terrible days...

I was once slapped by a patient's relative just because she asked me "have you given my brother his drugs" and i replied "please i'm coming, i'm busy" and i was busy, trying to save a child that had a car accident....

Some doctors are good, others are bad, but some of those that are bad may be due to the attitude our patients put up on us.... And that counts!!!!

I pray you dont go there bro, gerrout of this phucking mistake of a country if you have the chance, it ain't worth it anymore

4 Likes

Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by magnusalbertus(m): 11:37pm On Aug 19, 2014
please o. . albertalfred06@gmail. com
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by Chinedu1991(m): 12:21am On Aug 20, 2014
neduokafor91@gmail.com
thank you
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by Nobody: 1:25am On Aug 20, 2014
lomaxx:

I'll gladly remain a fake hero or no hero at all than to be reduced to the image in that link angry
As far as I'm concerned, it does not worth it cool
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by vibrio(m): 2:35am On Aug 20, 2014
Chukwudebo@yahoo.com
Thank you
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by Realtouchnot: 3:30am On Aug 20, 2014
Thanks bro!

1 Like

Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by Coldplay007(f): 4:28am On Aug 20, 2014
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by alkonami(m): 5:47am On Aug 20, 2014
Ashrafamoka@yahoo.com.. I will love to have it too
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by checkeni9(f): 6:19am On Aug 20, 2014
checkeni9@gmail.com
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by omicron(m): 6:32am On Aug 20, 2014
mikolo666@yahoo.com

thanks
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by DaKing007(m): 6:56am On Aug 20, 2014
This is my email address: davidking936@yahoo.com
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by bencoten(m): 7:09am On Aug 20, 2014
please can you send to otenesb@gmail.com
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by bencoten(m): 7:37am On Aug 20, 2014
pls send to otenesb@gmail.com .Thanks man!
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by 9jamasses: 7:41am On Aug 20, 2014
send to raheemabbey@yahoo.com
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by Morotov1(m): 8:21am On Aug 20, 2014
Permit me to share my thought.

These exodus will create room for creation of Nurse practitioners, physician assistants, extension of prescribing power to a whole lots of other professionals......even a change in course curriculum of the essential health professionals to practice more advanced medical procedures as is in some advance countries........Mozambique's midwife's performing cesarean section and some obstetrics procedures, clinical officers in East Africa etc.....comes to mind. By then it won't be about allowances but about being relevant.

Do you want that?
Are you going to run as a coward because the land is getting too hot for you?
Fight your fight and help settle Nigerian health sector or your profession will go to the dogs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by phantom(m): 8:43am On Aug 20, 2014
Morotov1: Permit me to share my thought.

These exodus will create room for creation of Nurse practitioners, physician assistants, extension of prescribing power to a whole lots of other professionals......even a change in course curriculum of the essential health professionals to practice more advanced medical procedures as is in some advance countries........Mozambique's midwife's performing cesarean section and some obstetrics procedures, clinical officers in East Africa etc.....comes to mind. By then it won't be about allowances but about being relevant.

Do you want that?
Fight your fight and help settle Nigerian health sector or your profession will go to the dogs.

let it go to the dogs!! I resisted travelling out a decade ago when I qualified and I regret it now.
my friends urged me to come over to T&T after all I had my MBBS from a recognised institution in Nigeria therefore I didn't need to write their licensing exams.
I just needed to pay the $3500 bond,and of I went.
5000-6000 US dollars per month tax free is decent income scalable to 7-8thousand dollars working extra jobs.
thinking back now, I should have gone. would probably be in the US now,qualifying as an "attending".

the path I took was a mistake!

5 Likes

Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by Profcamsey(m): 8:44am On Aug 20, 2014
Pls send to Adebisiommannueladebola@gmail.com thanks 4 dose text links
Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by Lagusta(m): 8:51am On Aug 20, 2014
Morotov1: Permit me to share my thought.

Do you want that?

boss, we have done our best as doctors.... The government is not helping matters at all....

We dont have the best equipment, drugs are substandard or fake, we still use archaic lab/imaging procedures.....

Let the government formulate a health policy that makes the lives better for doctors and patients, then we may consider staying...

1 Like

Re: The Doctor's Guide To Overseas Training by phantom(m): 8:55am On Aug 20, 2014
in other news,I hear those appointed directors in UCH have been reverted to former status? can someone please confirm.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

COVID-19: Enugu State Confirms 4 New Cases / 10 Simple Ways To Get Rid Of Wrinkles / The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.