Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven (13102 Views)

Esu Laaroye- The Police Of The Universe / Every Church-Goer Is Automatically A Child Of God. How True Is This Statement? / Yes, I Worship Esu, But I’m Not Satanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by deScifa(m): 10:42am On Aug 20, 2014
Esu is a fundamental Orisa and of great importance in Yoruba land. There is no shrine you will get to in Yoruba land where you will not see the image or a representation of Esu. In fact, well-established towns (i.e. those that have their OSUGBO and the OBA in council) also have their ESU at a spot, some in the entrance of the town and some in the ILEDI (i.e. the secretariat of the traditional and indigenous system of government).
It is believed by the Yoruba that Esu has two hundred names. Some of them are:
Lagemo Orun (the sacred child of heaven)
Alaakalu (one whose greatness is manifested all over the place)
Esu Odara (one who can do and undo)
Ogiri oko (he who is as hard as a rock)

All these are names drawn from Esu praise songs i.e. the way and manner with which he does things positively and negatively. Others are:
Elegbara (the mighty and powerful one)
Papawara (the quickest and fastest one)
Akeregbaye (small but in control of the whole world)
Onibode (the gate man)

Esu is primarily a special relations officer between Orun (heaven) and Aye (Earth). He is the “inspector – general” or the confidential secretary of Olodumare, which makes the final recommendation to Olodumare for the latter approval. He also reports on regular basis to Olodumare on the deeds of men and divinities, incorrectness of worship in general and sacrifices in particular.
Traditions have it that it is only the Babalawos [Ifa priests] that understand ESU inside – out. In fact, their roles are complementary. Esu is the right hand divinity to Orunmila; it is the duty of Esu to run errands for Orunmila and see to the perfect completion of all Orunmila desires. He (Esu) must always be in attendance and effect Orunmila’s orders. Orunmila is assigned the duty of listening to the voice of Olodumare through divination and declare his (Olodumare’s) will to the world but, wherever the formers declaration is not heeded to, it is the duty of Esu to enforce the will of Olodumare by bringing some calamity as a sort of punishment upon the recalcitrant. Orunmila in returns of the above functions to Esu always give Esu first of all in his drinks and food at every meal apart from the special appeasement to Esu for particular assignment. Therefore, there exist a very strong link between Esu and Orunmila (Babalawo). Esu is the approver and bearer of sacrifices to Orun (i.e. the spirit world) and is well known to the babalawos as door – opener or gate man: Olureku / Onibode or better put OSETURA.

ORISA Esu can spoil things if they are not done as prescribed. As an enforcer of the will of Olodumare by the divinities and man, Esu would definitely bring bad and good things to people depending on the frequency they maintained with Olodumare’s will. This is the reason behind the misrepresentation of ESU as “devil” by those that are shallow in the knowledge of ESU earthly duties.
Esu is a personification of good and evil, which is an acknowledgement of the presence and co – existence of positively and negatively forces in the world.

The special relations position of ESU is well explained in many of his praise song. Some of which are:
Elekun n sunkun, Esu n sun eje (Esu is shedding blood when the owner of the problem is shedding tears)
Onigbowa aye (the one in control of aye i.e. earth)
Alare na ode orun (the special middle man between heaven and earth)
Eni mo o ko, eni ko o, o o mo (he who knows him never meet him and he who meets him does not know him)
O gba iwaju wole, onile gba ehin jade (he came through the front door and the owner of the house ran out through the back door)
O lo daindain mookun oro (one who has the anointed rope to success, wealth and all the good things)

According to the holy sacred verses of IFA called ODUS, Ketu is believed to the earliest home of Esu. His worship predominates today in Erin near Ilobu, in all Osun State in Yoruba. Esu annual festival comes up in February in Ile – Oluji (a town in Ondo State of Yoruba). The festival marks the beginning of farming in the year.
Esu can be appeased with one or all of the followings:
eku (rat), eja (fish), omi tutu (clean water), oti (gin), obi (kolanut), orogbo (bitter kola), marshed yam (eewo), ogede omini (a type of banana), eyin adie
(hen egg), epo pupa (palm oil), akara (bean cake), gbugburu (roasted corn), eyele (pigeon), akuko adie (cock), obuko (he – goat).
Esu is never to be fed with Adin (black extracted from palm kernel seed); it is forbidden.

When one is to appease Esu, one first have to use his/her mouth to whistle 6 times to the left and right side of the Esu symbol i.e. 3 times on each side. One would then say APEJE 3times (meaning I have called, answer me). You will now say TI ABA PONSO IMALE AJI (while holding your left in the boxer’s form and using your right palm to beat the top of the left 3 times).
The next thing is the praise songs of Esu, followed by the making of ones request/desire to Esu while the items are presented one after the other. Esu is known not to share anything with anyone; he takes his things wholly or fully. Lastly is the breaking of kolanut.

Esu’s emblems or symbols are various. It can be given image of clay or wood, a piece of late rite of rock. The original and the aboriginal seat of ESU from creation in all of us is Ookan aya as the Yoruba call it i.e. the focal point is our chests i.e. heart. This is where the decision to do or not to do be it positive or negative is taken. The heart as part of the body is not bad, but decisions taken up there may turn out to be bad or good.

Let us conclude by saying it is a abnormal for anybody to equate ESU the divinity in the Yoruba theology to SATAN or DEVIL or LUCIFER. It is difficult and in fact impossible to find an exact equivalent of one character in a theology in another theology. However, if anybody want to describe or find an equivalent of Esu in Yoruba belief system in any other theology or God revelation, ESU is better called the holy and invisible spirit.

http://ifamatters./esu/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by cirmuell(m): 11:41am On Aug 20, 2014
Duh, undecided just like some other things, yorubas(Ajayi Crowther and his team) only use that name to represent the biblical Satan while trying to interprete the Bible.

1 Like

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:00pm On Aug 20, 2014
This is a very excellent write-up. Much Appreciated! cool

The reason the Lord Esu is so important is that Esu represents the fundamental concept of paganism. The balance of Good & Evil, write or wrong, etc. The balance of twin opposing forces.

I have notice even in Benin-Togo Vodun, they have the Legba representation/idol in almost all Shrines.

I have a question though.......is Orisha Ellegua the same as Esu?

1 Like

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by macof(m): 1:29pm On Aug 20, 2014
Beautiful!

All Hail Esu Odara, Esu lalu ogiri oko, okunrin ori ita.
Esu ma se mi o, pa isoro mi da, Ase!

2 Likes

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by macof(m): 1:31pm On Aug 20, 2014
PAGAN9JA: This is a very excellent write-up. Much Appreciated! cool

The reason the Lord Esu is so important is that Esu represents the fundamental concept of paganism. The balance of Good & Evil, write or wrong, etc. The balance of twin opposing forces.

I have notice even in Benin-Togo Vodun, they have the Legba representation/idol in almost all Shrines.

Yes they the same

1 Like

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by macof(m): 1:34pm On Aug 20, 2014
Op: It is believed by the Yoruba that Esu has two
hundred names.
I was told by an omo Esu that it is 77, he gave me about 20

I never knew some consider it up to 200
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by Nobody: 11:02pm On Aug 20, 2014
macof: Beautiful!

All Hail Esu Odara, Esu lalu ogiri oko, okunrin ori ita.
Esu ma se mi o, pa isoro mi da, Ase!

SLAVE. Why have u abandon ur iron god ''ogun and ran away to esu? Abi ogun don disappoint u? Keep on prostituting urself around with idols
PAGAN9JA: This is a very excellent write-up. Much Appreciated! cool

SLAVES.. Useless dieties that are nothing but dead woods... Well my teacher thought me a figure of speech called simile and she made an example '' AS DEAD AS ESU''... repent all of u and be baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and be forgiven.... JESUS CHRIST IS LORD TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND HIS FATHER
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:15am On Aug 21, 2014
ProphetUdeme: SLAVE. Why have u abandon ur iron god ''ogun and ran away to esu? Abi ogun don disappoint u? Keep on prostituting urself around with idols

hey b.astard! When did he say that he abandoned Ogun? fvcking r.etard . go suck your jesus d!ck. F00L.
or drink his blood and eat his flesh. fvcking vampire/cannibal hybrid.

ProphetUdeme: SLAVES.. Useless dieties that are nothing but dead woods... Well my teacher thought me a figure of speech called simile and she made an example '' AS DEAD AS ESU''... repent all of u and be baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and be forgiven.... JESUS CHRIST IS LORD TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND HIS FATHER

dead woods is it? SLAVES LIKE YOU worship dead woods of DEAD JEWISH MEN. you are the ultimate SLAVES!

3 Likes

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by lepasharon(f): 6:43pm On Aug 21, 2014
Why did the Yoruba language make esu to mean the biblical satan?..
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by truthman2012(m): 7:49pm On Aug 21, 2014
@Op

I can see the reason why you were vehemently opposed to Apostle Paul. As I said there, nobody with the Spirit of the true God would accuse Paul the way you did. This is just by the way.

Esu is only a god to the Yoruba idolaters, not known in other parts of Nigeria and the world. He is not the God of creation and his operations are limited to an enclave. He is known for vices and not virtues.
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by macof(m): 8:12pm On Aug 21, 2014
truthman2012: @Op

I can see the reason why you were vehemently opposed to Apostle Paul. As I said there, nobody with the Spirit of the true God would accuse Paul the way you did. This is just by the way.

Esu is only a god to the Yoruba idolaters, not known in other parts of Nigeria and the world. He is not the God of creation and his operations are limited to an enclave. He is known for vices and not virtues.

You are a big illiterate.

Go to USA, Cuba, Brazil, Trinidad and Tobago, Ghana, Togo, Benin jst to mention a few
There are many worshipers of Esu

Now going away from the name "Esu"
Esu is,known in many cultures with different names like Loki, Mercury and Hermes in Europe.
Ekwensu in Igboland
And many others I don't even know

Esu is not exclusively Yoruba, Esu is a universal spirit

4 Likes

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by macof(m): 8:14pm On Aug 21, 2014
lepasharon: Why did the Yoruba language make esu to mean the biblical satan?..

It was Ajayi crowther

He was a Christian looking for cheap converts

3 Likes

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by truthman2012(m): 8:38pm On Aug 21, 2014
macof:

You are a big illiterate.

Go to USA, Cuba, Brazil, Trinidad and Tobago, Ghana, Togo, Benin jst to mention a few
There are many worshipers of Esu

Now going away from the name "Esu"
Esu is,known in many cultures with different names like Loki, Mercury and Hermes in Europe.
Ekwensu in Igboland
And many others I don't even know

Esu is not exclusively Yoruba, Esu is a universal spirit

You are actually a child of esu (satan) as the way you think and talk reflect that. I have no time for people like you anymore. What fellowship has light with darkness.
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by macof(m): 8:47pm On Aug 21, 2014
truthman2012:

You are actually a child of esu (satan) as the way you think and talk reflect that. I have no time for people like you anymore. What fellowship has light with darkness.

This guy you are an ILLITERATE.
You have problems reading and comprehending

Read the OP, that's a Man vast in Ifa studies that explained Esu is nothing like ur non-existent Satan
Esu is not Satan.

Satan doesn't exist.

It's jst a pity you are an illiterate, I would have sat down this night to teach you a little about what you don't know
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by GooseBaba: 8:59pm On Aug 21, 2014
Carry on Ojare'.....!!

It was through understanding the virtues and benevolence of Esu that I figured out Olodumare is not the same as yahweh...

Altogether, the one whose name and image has been distorted by dead jew worshippers, is the one that revealed the truth. Truth that led to enlightenment without fear..

Esu..!!! I hail oooh..!

3 Likes

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by GooseBaba: 9:07pm On Aug 21, 2014
macof:

This guy you are an ILLITERATE.
You have problems reading and comprehending

Read the OP, that's a Man vast in Ifa studies that explained Esu is nothing like ur non-existent Satan
Esu is not Satan.

Satan doesn't exist.

It's jst a pity you are an illiterate, I would have sat down this night to teach you a little about what you don't know

Don't mind the chimpanzee.... The insignificant ignoramus cannot think without fear of a foreign diety.

What does it profit man to neglect the powerful abilities of a brain but relies on the abilities of El-stupido for a ticket to slavery in an afterlife... Tufiakwa!!!

2 Likes

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by GooseBaba: 9:18pm On Aug 21, 2014
truthman2012:

Guy stop exposing your stupidity here. First you claim Esu was only in yoruba land, with that same wet brain you link Esu with satan.... Smh..

Get your mind right... You will soon run mad..!

4 Likes

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by 2cato: 9:33am On Aug 22, 2014
Can sombody tell me the difference btw Esu and satan?
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:26am On Aug 22, 2014
truthman2012:

Obviously the same God wont be called Esu by peoples of other tongues. Esu is just the Yoruba way of invoking this particular spiritual force. Different peoples have their own names, prayers and rituals associated with this God.

E.g.,
Igbo = Ekwensu
Hausa = Magiro
Native North American Tribes = Coyote/Raven (the exact name depends on their respective languages)
Norse = Loki . Espen Askeladd
Winnebago (Native North American Tribe) = Wakdjunga
Roman = Mercury
Greek = Hermes
Akan (Ghana) = Kwaku Ananse (spider)
Aztec = Huehuecoyotl
Babylonian = Lilith
Austro-Aboriginal = Bamapana, Crow
Bantu = Hare, Tsuro/Kalulu
Basque = Martintxiki
San = Kaggen
Cree (Canadian Native) = Wisakedjak
Celt = Puca , Leprechaun, Briccriu
Han Chinese = : Huli jing (Fox spirit), Nezha.
Crow (Native USA) = Awakkule, Mannegishi
Egyptian = Set , Isis
Fijian = Daucina
Haida = Nankil'slas (Raven spirit), (Coyote)
Hawaiian Native = Iwa, Kaulu, Kupua, Maui, Pekoi.
Hindu Aryan = Krishna, Narada, Mohini, Hanuman.
Hopi/Zuni = Kokopelli
Indonesian ethnicities= Kantjil
Inuit = Amaguq
Arab = Jinns
Japanese = Kitsune, Susanoo, Kappa, Tanuki.
Kazakh = Aldar Kose
Korean = Kumiho
Lakota (US Native) = Iktomi, Heyoka.
Canaanite = Yaw
Maori = Māui
Mayan = Maya Hero Twins (Hunahpu & Xbalanque) , Kisin.
Micronesian Tribes = Olifat.
Miwok (US Native) = Coyote
Nootka (US Native) = Chulyen, Guguyni.
Caucasian N-W Tribes (Abazin, Abkhaz, Circassian, Ossetian, Karachay-Balkar and Chechen-Ingush ) = Sosruko
Ohlone = Coyote
Ojibwe (US/Canada Natives) = Nanabozho
Polynesian Tribes = Maui
Tagalog (North Phillipino) = Nuno sa Punso, Tikbalang.
Pomo (US Native) : Coyote
Pueblo (US Native) : Koshares
Slavic : Veles
Tibetan : Akhu Tönpa
Tsimshian (Canada/US Natives) : Txaamsm, Raven, 'Wiigyet (Big Man).
Tumbuka : Kalulu
Ute (US Natives) : Cin-an-ev
Voodun (Ewe, Kabye, Mina and Fon Tribes) : Legba

3 Likes

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:28am On Aug 22, 2014
truthman2012:
What fellowship has light with darkness.

Light cannot exist without darkness.

That is the central concept of the Lord Esu, which you fail to grasp.

This is why you are so narrow minded.

1 Like

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by truthman2012(m): 10:54am On Aug 22, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Was it esu who created you? Yes or No and how?
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:58am On Aug 22, 2014
truthman2012:

Was it esu who created you? Yes or No and how?

No. All Gods are not involved in creation.
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by truthman2012(m): 11:01am On Aug 22, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

There is no darkness in heaven (Revelation 22:5).
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:03am On Aug 22, 2014
truthman2012:

There is no darkness in heaven (Revelation 22:5).

Thats a lie. there is no proof of heavens existence in the first place.

1 Like

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by truthman2012(m): 11:03am On Aug 22, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

No. All Gods are not involved in creation.

Which God did the creation and what is your source?
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by truthman2012(m): 11:05am On Aug 22, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Thats a lie. there is no proof of heavens existence in the first place.

Where do your gods live?
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:11am On Aug 22, 2014
truthman2012:

Which God did the creation and what is your source?

The Creator God. If you are asking me the specific name, it depends on your language.

Source: Common sense and Religious Custom.

As a Pagan and believer, I believe every material action/work done has a spiritual parallel. Therefore, the act of Creation must involve the SPiritual Force of Creation/The God of Creation.

The Creator is the source origin of all aspects of creation.

1 Like

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:12am On Aug 22, 2014
truthman2012:

Where do your gods live?

They are GODS, not humans. The Gods dont live anywhere. When referring to the "abode of the Gods" . we basically refer to the Spiritual Realm. The Gods are ever-present all around and in us.

2 Likes

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by truthman2012(m): 11:22am On Aug 22, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

The Creator God. If you are asking me the specific name, it depends on your language.

Source: Common sense and Religious Custom.

As a Pagan and believer, I believe every material action/work done has a spiritual parallel. Therefore, the act of Creation must involve the SPiritual Force of Creation/The God of Creation.

The Creator is the source origin of all aspects of creation.

You mean you don't know the name of the God of creation even in your language?

Common sense cannot be a source of spiritual things just like physical (common) eyes cannot see spirits. Religious Custom if not documented is not believable to those who do not belong to that custom. It is not right for you to say anything you cannot evidence, infact so far, you have no evidence for your claims.
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by truthman2012(m): 11:28am On Aug 22, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

They are GODS, not humans. The Gods dont live anywhere. When referring to the "abode of the Gods" . we basically refer to the Spiritual Realm. The Gods are ever-present all around and in us.

You mean their abode, Spiritual Ream has no name? e.g Yemoja (Mamaid) is a spirit but lives inside water.
Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by macof(m): 11:32am On Aug 22, 2014
2cato: Can sombody tell me the difference btw Esu and satan?

1. Esu is the force of balance between Negative and Positive
2. Esu is omnipresent
3. Esu exists

Satan is none of that

1 Like

Re: ESU: The Sacred Child Of Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:41am On Aug 22, 2014
truthman2012:

You mean you don't know the name of the God of creation even in your language?

Common sense cannot be a source of spiritual things just like physical (common) eyes cannot see spirits. Religious Custom if not documented is not believable to those who do not belong to that custom. You can say anything you cannot evidence, infact you have no evidence for your claims.

Wtf is your problem jorr? When did I say I dont know the name of the Creator in my language?
All I said is that the name of the Creator depends on your own language. so first find out the name in your language , instead of bothering yourself with mine.

Common Sense is the best evidence. you christians lack common sense. that is why yall believe in the myths in the bible as TRUTH. e.g., noahs big wooden boat, talking snakes, etc. Also as for Religious custom, we go by oral and practical tradition passed down generations. We do not have any books. One advantage of this is that books can be wrongly interpreted to meet personal ends, as you xtians and muslims regularly do. E.g., the bible was used to justify slavery of black Africans.

Are you saying that you dont believe in the Creator then?

As if you have evidence. LOL.

your so-called evidence is just some jewish texts by some heretic jews written 2000 yrs back and dumped on you by oyinbo to mentally enslave you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

RCCG Holy Ghost Congress 2023: Double Portion, December 5-11 / E-Grace Convention 20-14 / Which Is Wrong: From The Christian's Perspective?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.