Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,015 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians (22428 Views)

Nigerian Celebrities You Didn’t Know Are From Royal Families (photos) / Celebrities You May Not Know Are Twins(Photos) / 12 Celebrities You Didn't Know Are Transgendered. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by landinfo: 10:18pm On Aug 21, 2014
@hillpower
Why didn't u allow the OP complete the thread seeing that he had not finished his posting & looking @ the time, he started posting from 7:45pm & it was more than the 20 names he listed not minding the mistake with the title-thread....I hate it when pple hijack or steal another man's meat...ee dey vex me no be small & [b] we are too quick to judge politrickcians when infact we ain't better or even different from them in all our doings.
Mtcheeew

5 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by redsun(m): 10:19pm On Aug 21, 2014
Yeske2: That these guys have Nigerian ancestry doesn't make them Nigerians,so wetin concern us?

They are doing great though. It just goes to show Nigerians have the gene to excel,given the right conditions.

2 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 10:21pm On Aug 21, 2014
HiiiPower: Donald Adeosun Faison

[img]http://kimberlyakinola.files./2013/11/donald-faison-300.jpg?w=290[/img]

Donald Adeosun Faison born June 22, 1974 is a Nigerian-American actor, comedian, and voice actor best known for his role as Dr. Chris Turk in the ABC (formerly NBC) comedy-drama Scrubs (2001–2010) as a leading role, and as Murray in the film Clueless(1995) playing a minor role (reprise in the subsequent television series of the same name). He is a star of the TV Land situation comedy The Exes.

Faison has also co-starred in the films Remember the Titans (2000), Uptown Girls (2003), Something New (2006), Next Day Air (2009) and Kick-Ass 2 (2013). Faison was born in Harlem, New York, the son of Shirley, a talent agent, and Donald Faison, a building manager. His parents were active with the National Black Theatre in Harlem. Faison was married to Lisa Askey from 2001 to 2005. After six years of dating, Faison married his second wife, CaCee Cobb, on December 15, 2012. The wedding was held at the home of Faison’s former Scrubs co-star and best friend Zach Braff, who also served as a groomsman. Serving as a bridesmaid was singer Jessica Simpson, for whom Cobb formerly worked as a personal assistant. Faison has five children: son Sean (born 1997), from a previous relationship; son Dade and daughter Kaya (fraternal twins, born 1999) and son Kobe (born 2001), with Askey; and son Rocco (born 2013), with Cobb.

Just to clear the misconception, Donald Faison isn't Nigerian. He is an African American whose mother had affinity and love for her ancestral african origins and gave her son, Donald, the yoruba name 'Adeosun' on his birth in remembrance of her ancestral roots.

6 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 10:21pm On Aug 21, 2014
Op,can you now change the title of the topic from 20 to 50? Smh undecided

Lamar Obika,he's one hell of a sexy bloak. Those eyes are damn cute! cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by pablus: 10:24pm On Aug 21, 2014
OP seems to be a tribalist and not too smart. probably a kid.

1. topic says "top 20". he/she listed more than 20 people. then claims the list is actually 50 when challenged. ok.
2. the so-called Nigerians have Ibo names...no Hausa, and almost no Yoruba, etc.
3. OP says "influential Peope in America"...many listed are Brits - Ejiofro, Tinie Tempah, etc.
4. I'd never heard of most of them.

10 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by GeneralBadman: 10:29pm On Aug 21, 2014
Tribalism can never end on this forum laye laye.

Op only wanted to post his Igbo people until Hill Baba busted his yansh, then he continued posting and one fvcktard said Hill should have allowed OP to finish.

Finish Kini?

And they say he's a moderator oooooooo

No wonder nl has become what it is today.

Say The Truth And Shame The Devil. You don't have to hide behind a finger. We no go gree laye laye.

I shall add more Nigerians tomorrow. I have to sleep now, I must report to work early tomorrow.

Konfam There.

16 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by htconeline: 10:29pm On Aug 21, 2014
The op think is wise listen only yiibo.
The op is a Mod nd u will be asking about tribalism on nairaland.com.
Well done hiipower
More fort oil to ur pencil

12 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by semitunde: 10:38pm On Aug 21, 2014
Nice thread.

The op wasn't helping it though. In spite of his claim of innocence, he copied a from a link that has "50 Nigerians..."; opened a thread that has "20 Nigerians..." and went ahead to post continuous profile of mostly igbos; making extra sure to tag them "of Igbo extraction".

If you wanted to post others' profiles later, would all of them still fit into the "20 Nigerians..." title you used?

Grow up. This would have been what you'd have been praise for even if lifted from somewhere else.

PS.

***I can see you have modified the topic...

11 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by FakeJews: 10:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
Bigot mod!

4 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by atlwireles: 10:56pm On Aug 21, 2014
what a thread grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 10:56pm On Aug 21, 2014
IfyAngela: Kelvin Okafor's drawings are beyond epic kiss , i look forward to tweeting, to see his latest cool

Pls give me his twitter handle, that guy is awesome!

@topic, bigfrancis why must you do everything with a tribal slant? Why? You didn't have to lift only igbo names from the list and add few yoruba names to make it seem as if its only ibos that is there, na wa 4 u.

9 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 21, 2014
#Grabs Mic#

Aiyyo, what about ma man Nasir "Nas" Olu Bin Dara Jones? He should be #1 on that list sadsad..that nigga is a motivator...best storyteller...best rapper alive...best lyricist...best erm erm

Your list is incomplete without Nas cuz he is more influential than John Kerry and mo popular than Americans favourite drug cocaine.

2 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by duni04(m): 10:58pm On Aug 21, 2014
This thread would have made sense if the OP didn't deliberately introduce tribalism in his selection. Very shameful.

9 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 21, 2014
Enahi: Don't worry ignore him,you did a great job. I didn't know the people you wrote about were Nigerians,excerpt Shade. Keep it up.

You are falling for his tricks, I must admit, the guy is a bit slick with his tribalism, you should check his history in the culture section though, he's as tribal as they come, believe me he wrote the names as he did on purpose.

7 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by cococandy(f): 11:03pm On Aug 21, 2014
I like this guy ehhhhhh.
Oh dear.
HiiiPower: Akinnuoye-Agbaje

[img]http://kimberlyakinola.files./2013/11/adewale_akinnuoye-agbaje.jpg[/img]

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje born 22 August 1967 is a British actor and former fashion model, best known for his roles as Lock-Nah in The Mummy Returns, Nykwana Wombosi in The Bourne Identity, Mr. Eko on Lost and Simon Adebisi on Oz. Akinnuoye-Agbaje was born in Islington, London. His parents are Nigerian , of Yoruba origin. He has a law degree from King’s College London and a Masters in Law from the University of London.

His best known acting roles have been as the imposing convict Simon Adebisi in the 1990s HBO prison series Oz, and as Mr. Eko on ABC’s survivor drama Lost. He was also in an episode of New York Undercover. He has numerous film credits since he began acting in 1994 and has appeared in many top films, including The Bourne Identity, in which he played a deposed African dictator, Hitu the police officer in Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, Lock-Nah in The Mummy Returns, and Heavy Duty in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. In 2009, Akinnuoye-Agbaje told MTV that he was in talks with Marvel Studios to play the superhero Black Panther in aa proposed film of the same name. When asked, the actor replied “…it’s about time we have a black superhero, isn’t it? He’s from a fictional village in Africa and the timing is so right for that kind of character to come through… And while I’m in my prime, this is the time. We’ve got [U.S. President Barack] Obama, now we need something onscreen to represent, so… ‘Panther,’ man I would love to see that happen [...] I think it’s all about campaigning, I’m going to keep knocking on their door.”

Akinnuoye-Agbaje has also stated that he will be directing a film about his life story. More recently, he guest starred in the second episode of season 8 of Monk, and played Derek Jameson in the 2011 film The Thing. He portrayed Kurse in the Marvel Studios filmThor: The Dark World. Akinnuoye-Agbaje is a Buddhist and a member of Sōka Gakkai International.

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 21, 2014
Two people I couldn't imagine had anything to do with nigeria are isabella from 4400 and thresh from Hunger Games. Nice.

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by EdCure: 11:06pm On Aug 21, 2014
Seunwants tribalism to end but he refuse to take action against his mods like this OP who display the worst form of tribal bigotry.

10 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by cococandy(f): 11:13pm On Aug 21, 2014
nonso anozie:

Born 28 May 1979
Lincoln, England
OccupationActor
Nonso Anozie (born 28 May 1979) is an English actor who has worked on stage, film, and television.

Anozie was born in Lincoln, England, of Nigerian descent.[1] In the summer of 2002 he played the title role in William Shakespeare's King Lear, and won the Ian Charleson Award in 2004 for his performance in Othello.

Anozie was hired in 2006 to provide the voice for the armoured bear Iorek Byrnison in the film adaptation of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights.

Anozie played small roles as Think Tank in Guy Ritchie's film RocknRolla and Frank Mace in Joe Wright's Atonement. He played the lead in Cass a 2008 British crime drama film recreating the life of Cass Pennant. In 2009, he appeared in the supporting cast of the BBC TV three-part 2003 Iraq War drama, Occupation, where he played a US Marine turned private military contractor. In 2011, he played Artus, a Zamoran pirate and close friend of Conan, in Conan the Barbarian. That year, he was also cast to play the role of Xaro Xhoan Daxos in the HBO series Game of Thrones and was cast as Jackson Burke in The Grey.[5] He also plays the role of Samson in the History Channel's television miniseries The Bible. In 2013, Anozie appeared in the film Ender's Game as Sergeant Dap,[6] and he currently plays Renfield on the NBC series Dracula.[7]

Anozie's radio work includes the role of Joe in the 2011 BBC Radio 4 Classic Serial production of Edna Ferber's Show Boat.

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 21, 2014
Thank you hiiipower,that mumu op got served

3 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by IGBOSON1: 11:17pm On Aug 21, 2014
django1:

You are falling for his tricks, I must admit, the guy is a bit slick with his tribalism, you should check his history in the culture section though, he's as tribal as they come, believe me he wrote the names as he did on purpose.

^^^And so what if he did? Since when has taking pride in ones ethnicity been a crime? Technically, he's done nothing wrong!

Anyone taking offense could just as well opened another thread and listed only Yoruba names or anyone elses they so choose! The person some of you are praising for gate-crashing this thread , didn't he/she list just/mainly Yoruba names?

9 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 21, 2014
hiiipower, is your name inspired by kendrick? "...the sky is falling, the wind is calling, stand for something or die in the morning, highpower, section 80" wink

You writing your own hieroglyphs on this bigot's thread.

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Enahi(f): 11:23pm On Aug 21, 2014
django1:

Oh really, I didn't check his profile o. Shame on him then,

3 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 21, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^And so what if he did? Since when has taking pride in ones ethnicity been a crime? Technically, he's done nothing wrong!

Anyone taking offense could just as well opened another thread and listed only Yoruba names or anyone elses they so choose! The person some of you are praising for gate-crashing this thread , didn't he/she list just/mainly Yoruba names?

Yes, he has done nothing wrong but he intends to manipulate people subconsciously, make them think only ibos do good out there. He labelled the thread wrongly if he meant to showcase just ibos doing good abroad, but as a sly person that he is, he just had to call them Nigerians but only put up ibo people.

Look, if taking pride in his ethnicity is all he intends to do, i wouldn't even look at it twice, but i know him very well, even before opening the thread i was expecting something like this, i have history with this guy in the culture section, this is his own MO of tribalism, try to play up his own tribe while undermining those of others, but he won't get away with it here in the politics section, unlike the culture section where he's a moderator and the atmosphere there isn't so charged.

6 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 11:28pm On Aug 21, 2014
bigfrancis21, a moderator and an unrepentant bigot is one of the problems of Nairaland. Seun Osewa has to relieve him of this moderation duty to show he is serious with his anti tribalism talk.

Seun Osewa do the needful and prove you are serious about the war against tribalism so we can all take you serious. If this guy remains a mod, u have no moral right to speak against tribalism or any form of prejudice exhibited by any forumite

10 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 21, 2014
Enahi: Oh really, I didn't check his profile o. Shame on him then,

oh, do check his threads, you will understand what i'm saying. I hope the blackout hasn't taken many of them though.

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by adamskutty(m): 11:40pm On Aug 21, 2014
HiiiPower: Hakeem Kae-Kazeem

[img]http://kimberlyakinola.files./2013/11/kae-kazim_hakeem.jpg?w=458[/img]

Hakeem Kae-Kazim born 1 October 1962, sometimes credited as “Hakim Kae Kazim”, is a British-Nigerian actor who is best known for his portrayal of Georges Rutaganda in the 2004 motion picture Hotel Rwanda. He also starred as Colonel Iké Dubaku inseason 7 of the Fox television series 24 and the TV film tie-in 24: Redemption.

Kae-Kazim has landed role in movies like:

Coming To America (1989)
King Solomon’s Mines (2004)
Hotel Rwanda (2004)
The Librarian: Return to King Solomon’s Mines (2006)
Big Fellas (2007)
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (2007)
24: Redemption (2008)
Darfur (2009)
The Fourth Kind (2009)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
Inale (2010)
Girl Soldier (2011)
Last Flight to Abuja (2012)
Half of a Yellow Sun (2013
24 (season 7) (2009)
Lost (2006)
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2007)
Criminal Minds (2011)
NCIS: Los Angeles (2011)
Human Target (season 2; episode 3) (2010)
The Front Line (2006)
Covert Affairs (season 3; episode 3) (2012)
Strike Back: Project Dawn (2012)
hakim kae kazim.

He also acted as a somali religious leader in one movie like that, forgotten the name grin

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 11:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
Enahi: What's his Nigerian name?

tayo is his name.

3 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by thandii1: 11:43pm On Aug 21, 2014
IGBOSON1:

He didn't have to mislead anyone or better still, he could have just celebrated his tribe by typing " 20 influential people in america you wouldn't even know are igbos" and there would be no need for all the back and forth, chikena!

Op typed 20 most influential nigerians, selected about 18igbo profiles and a few non-igbo profiles exceeding his list of 20, and then comes back after being busted that he intended to copy more, and to make matters worse, he modified his post to 50. Also, his quick attempt to quote hi-power and point out that one of the guys wasn't yoruba shows he set out to compete in the first place.

In short, I also go with the notion that his intentions were not clean and he set out to be tribalistic, albeit codedly but not-so-smart. In this era of tribalism on nairaland, wetin una expect.? Yoruba people don pounce, though, some over reacted sha, oginni? On top people wey no even sabi wetin naija look like. Sigh.

9 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by adamskutty(m): 11:45pm On Aug 21, 2014
cococandy: nonso anozie:

Born 28 May 1979
Lincoln, England
OccupationActor
Nonso Anozie (born 28 May 1979) is an English actor who has worked on stage, film, and television.

Anozie was born in Lincoln, England, of Nigerian descent.[1] In the summer of 2002 he played the title role in William Shakespeare's King Lear, and won the Ian Charleson Award in 2004 for his performance in Othello.

Anozie was hired in 2006 to provide the voice for the armoured bear Iorek Byrnison in the film adaptation of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights.

Anozie played small roles as Think Tank in Guy Ritchie's film RocknRolla and Frank Mace in Joe Wright's Atonement. He played the lead in Cass a 2008 British crime drama film recreating the life of Cass Pennant. In 2009, he appeared in the supporting cast of the BBC TV three-part 2003 Iraq War drama, Occupation, where he played a US Marine turned private military contractor. In 2011, he played Artus, a Zamoran pirate and close friend of Conan, in Conan the Barbarian. That year, he was also cast to play the role of Xaro Xhoan Daxos in the HBO series Game of Thrones and was cast as Jackson Burke in The Grey.[5] He also plays the role of Samson in the History Channel's television miniseries The Bible. In 2013, Anozie appeared in the film Ender's Game as Sergeant Dap,[6] and he currently plays Renfield on the NBC series Dracula.[7]

Anozie's radio work includes the role of Joe in the 2011 BBC Radio 4 Classic Serial production of Edna Ferber's Show Boat.

nice one cupcake grin

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by adamskutty(m): 11:46pm On Aug 21, 2014
e don enter fp? undecided

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by IGBOSON1: 11:51pm On Aug 21, 2014
django1:

Yes, he has done nothing wrong but he intends to manipulate people subconsciously, make them think only ibos do good out there. He labelled the thread wrongly if he meant to showcase just ibos doing good abroad, but as a sly person that he is, he just had to call them Nigerians but only put up ibo people.

Look, if taking pride in his ethnicity is all he intends to do, i wouldn't even look at it twice, but i know him very well, even before opening the thread i was expecting something like this, i have history with this guy in the culture section, this is his own MO of tribalism, try to play up his own tribe while undermining those of others, but he won't get away with it here in the politics section, unlike the culture section where he's a moderator and the atmosphere there isn't so charged.

^^^I know why i'm playing the devils advocate on this one! Does your anger stem from the fact that he only listed achievers from one ethnic group, or are you pissed-off that those he listed are only Igbo? I'm sure if i check YOUR past history on this website i'll find one or two derogatory remarks against Igbos (whether covert or overt)!

You do the members of this forum a disservice when you say they could be 'subconsciously manipulated' by this thread into believing that only Igbos in diaspora have achieved anything worthwhile for Nigeria to be proud of!......Are we kids? A matured person that's outgrown all this nairaland e-wars malarkey would have identified this thread for what it is and either moved on, or -if he couldn't live with the OPs antics- created a rival thread instead!

You say he labelled the thread wrongly?.......How? Are the people he mentioned not Nigerian again? You see what i mean when i say that in trying to confront him, you're 'subconsciously' exhibiting your own intolerance as well!?

8 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by gebest: 11:53pm On Aug 21, 2014
sheeeew so so igbo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yinka Ayefele Denies Welcoming Triplets In USA / Uche Jombo, Omoni Oboli, Chioma Akpotha With Dolapo Badmus & Ufuoma Mcdermott / Kim Kardashian Robbed At Gunpoint In Paris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.