Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,116 members, 7,821,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. (32486 Views)

Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers / Your Experience Doing Business With Aliexpress Or Alibaba / Doing Business With 300,000 Naira Capital? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 2:14pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

Are you on LinkedIn?

Also, I found TONS of useful information on doing business in Nigeria on Safari Books Online. Research papers and such. I downloaded them. Would like to compare notes.

I also originally started using Nairaland to familiarize myself with Nigerians and life in Nigeria, to make my transition easier... but I end up on the wrong threads... Now it's just for fun. Props on managing to learn something on here.

I believe in opportunities and possibilities and I will not hesitate to reach out to you for possible relationships.
Would like to help in anyway I can.
I "soulfully" believe in service delivery. People getting what they deserve when they have paid for it.
I am no formal entrepreneur at the moment but I am looking to engage my many potentials into consulting.
I have wonderful friends and partners of integrity that could help you with your transition, research and ground level work.
Check me on LinkedIn My name is in my site in my signature too.
Would love to connect.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by israel7732: 2:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
Turbocharged: @op. syop fooling urself. U be naija full blood. Your use of words betrayed u.
I wonder what u want to achieve by this write-up.

...I dey smell SCAM

finally, the 'jibbs' of this thread has arrived. Welcome

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by ghettodreamz(m): 2:26pm On Aug 26, 2014
CityNG:

Liar.

Get a life, you need it.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by davidif: 2:26pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

They did the same thing to palm oil. Nigerian palm oil is SOOO uncompetitive on the global market. It only barely survives locally because of the tax on imported palm oil. Even still, manufacturers have to import the high-quality palm oil from Asia, because there isn't enough of it in Nigeria.

Wow!!!! who are this policy makers in Naija in the first place? Did they even go to school at all? No wonder a lot of things don't work in the country.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 26, 2014
ghettodreamz:

Get a life, you need it.

Oh oh someone's mad on the internet lol

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 26, 2014
NairaMode:

I believe in opportunities and possibilities and I will not hesitate to reach out to you for possible relationships.
Would like to help in anyway I can.
I "soulfully" believe in service delivery. People getting what they deserve when they have paid for it.
I am no formal entrepreneur at the moment but I am looking to engage my many potentials into consulting.
I have wonderful friends and partners of integrity that could help you with your transition, research and ground level work.
Check me on LinkedIn My name is in my site in my signature too.
Would love to connect.

Lol. I have a healthy suspicion of consultants. As I said earlier, I prefer to do my own research, and I'm pretty damn good at it. I don't object to networking, though. I'll check you out.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 26, 2014
israel7732:

finally, the 'jibbs' of this thread has arrived. Welcome

Honestly. Me, who has never spent up to a full year in Nigeria combined, even I can speak pidgin English decently enough. But someone who actually works in Nigeria isn't supposed to know the word "abi"? *eyeroll*

3 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by InvertedHammer: 2:39pm On Aug 26, 2014
/
Can someone here name any successful business in the world today that was not initially greeted with skepticism?

@OP...Goodluck in your endeavors!

\

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by ghettodreamz(m): 2:43pm On Aug 26, 2014
davidif:

Who passes all this pathetic laws in Nigeria in the first place? Na wa o.

That's too extreme, selfishly done in a bid for some guys to enjoy more local patronage from the Nigerian market, even though they would tag it as local industrialization action.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by DanjaNinja(m): 3:05pm On Aug 26, 2014
iceberylin: The annoying part is Foreigners think Naija is a Great Country....

i jst laugh @ dia stupidiry

Keep Laughing while they make all the millions. Are you aware that foreigners operate a large portion of all manufacturing activities in this country? is it Indomie? - Dufil Foods....Chivita? - House of Chi....Peak Milk? - Friesland...Abi na Ariel, Omo, Maggi, Star, Gulder - all produced by foreign companies while the likes of you keep laughing, "buying" and "Submitting CV's".

ThaiAlNigeria please keep up the good work.

10 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by bigx(m): 3:09pm On Aug 26, 2014
DanjaNinja:

Keep Laughing while they make all the millions. Are you aware that foreigners operate a large portion of all manufacturing activities in this country? is it Indomie? - Dufil Foods....Chivita? - House of Chi....Peak Milk? - Friesland...the list goes on; Ariel...Omo...Maggi...Star...Gulder....all operated by foreign companies, while the likes of you keep laughing.

And feverishly submitting cv's looking for crumbs

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by hustla(m): 3:10pm On Aug 26, 2014
Benz4pimp:
E b like say me and u dey reason same way.a thai with this type of english is not possible,from his first post,i just dey laff,see format and migerians are gullible,kindly tell him to tell you the meaning of his email address,he as made good money from his so called biz and yet does not have a (scam)website.nigerians,u better shine your eyes,this is confirm scam,at the end of the day,d op will either tell you he as trucks to sell or one thing or the other.gullible nigerians are already praising him.even my cousin wey get just 2 trucks get website+email attached.

Lol
Nigerians Sha
if you watch CCTV well , you will see Chinese people speaking English like Americans

Allow the guy na..as if English is your own mother tongue sef

3 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 26, 2014
hustla:

Lol
Nigerians Sha
if you watch CCTV well , you will see Chinese people speaking English like Americans

Allow the guy na..as if English is your own mother tongue sef

And look at his own English, on top of it all. So embarrassing.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by hustla(m): 3:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
Nice write up op
One day IL have enough capital for haulage

Cool business

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by hustla(m): 3:24pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

And look at his own English, on top of it all. So embarrassing.

Lol
No mind am
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by DEGREE2466(m): 3:35pm On Aug 26, 2014
ThaiAlNigeria: Greetings Nairalanders,

Looking forward to be a valuable contributor in these forums.

I'm from Bangkok Thailand and our company has been doing business in Nigeria for almost 2 years.

We have a registered company in Nigeria as well as in Bangkok and Dubai.

My elder brother saw an opportunity in Nigeria and made up his mind that Nigeria indeed has a great many opportunities.

Needless to say, actually implementing the idea was not an easy task.

We faced so many great hurdles to make it here that we almost closed down our business at the end of first year for reasons I will further explain soon.

I will separate my post into 2 phases.

1) Our first & second business idea and how that failed (Rice, Clothing and imports)
2) our third business idea and how we made it. (Haulage)

I will start with the first phase

Our first business idea was importing Rice into Nigeria. Seeing that I am from Thailand and Nigerians love Thai rice it sounded like a valid business plan. So we went around Lagos searching for buyers. We came across several powerful women that trades in Rice. We saw these huge warehouses full of rice and many container of rice being offloaded into the warehouses. They were willing and enthusiastic to work with us if we could get them their price. Daily rice prices are fixed. So we made a connection with these powerful women.

Now our next goal was to find the rice at the right prices here in Thailand. But it does not end there. We had to register our rice with Nafdac (Nigerian agency for food and drug). And going to the process of Nafdac is amazingly time consuming and expensive. We hired a lawyer to help us speed the process.

We had also known that the import taxes on rice into Nigeria is 40%. Now here was the issue. We tried finding a source of rice at the right prices here in Thailand but it was not possible. The reason it was not possible was because the import taxes were too high and there was no way we could have made any money selling to the Nigerian Market. We wondered how did other people do it? We investigated. We went to the port and made some connections with some people there and found out that rice importers were not paying import taxes. They were paying money under-table. It is an acceptable practice. But we understood it was against the law and decided to drop the idea of importing rice as wanted to wholly abide by the country laws 100%. We could have made money with the right connections but decided not to go this route.

That is failure of our first business plan.

Our second business plan basically involved importing clothes worth around $2000-$4000. But we failed to sell enough in the market. Due to competition and lack of market research we failed.

After this we decided to try to import various stuff into Nigeria like Air conditioners and electronics. But we realized that the prices the buyers were asking were too low compared to what the factories were selling it for. Plus due to heavy competition, complexity in import/export process and direct easy access to factories itself via alibaba and websites; we as middlemen importers were not needed and even if we were our profit margins would be very little.

So we kissed our import dreams goodbye as well.

Almost 1 year in Nigeria had passed.

If there is one thing we learnt.....doing business in Nigeria was NOT easy.

If you are interested, I will next write the second phase of our story later and tell you how & why we succeeded and the extreme difficulties (To the point where we were about to lose most of our fortunes) we faced before we succeeded in our next venture. (Haulage)

My humblest regards.

Your Friend.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by deeobserver209(m): 3:46pm On Aug 26, 2014
Good business is where you find it smiley
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by atlwireles: 4:04pm On Aug 26, 2014
Just tell us you are looking for investors in your haulage business.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Ademat7(m): 4:05pm On Aug 26, 2014
ThaiAlNigeria: Greetings Nairlalanders,

Hope you are all doing well.

I was quite surprised that this thread got put in the front page. That was indeed not what I expected and I am also grateful for this honour.

My reason for making this post is simple. I want to promote Nigeria to the world as a premiere country to Invest in. When we first started out, we "believed" that we could make it in Nigeria. My elder brother believed it and made me believe it too. But even more important, we believed in our Nigerian Partners/Friends/Family to help us do that and they believed in us too. Which is why I had emphasized the importance of "building relationships"

I'm not exactly sure how should I proceed from here after reading all the comments. But I do have alot in my mind I did like to convey.

I would like to start by saying that I have been using Nairaland for my research and due diligence for more than a year. This website is a valuable source of great information about Nigeria. A recent example of my research using Nairaland was finding out which banks were the best for companies. As eventually we will have to take a loan for rapid expansion in our business and we will do it with the help of Nigerian banks. I am not sure if I should write down the names of the banks I have selected here as it may invite some unforseen comments. But the point I'm trying to make is, I use this medium to give information and to reach out to foreigners and locals to start investing and the great potential for Nigeria.

-------- Nigeria is on its way to the top ---------

Nigeria is a consuming Nation with nearly 170 million people! After the 2008 world economic crisis, people from all over the world are looking for ALTERNATIVE INVESTMENTS as their traditional investments has failed them. The allure of Alternative investments is the higher rate of returns than simply investing in stocks, bonds, mutual funds etc etc which gives out lower returns.

The WORLD has the money. They're holding onto it. They're always looking for opportunities to make good investments. But they have no knowledge and are hesitant to invest in Nigeria. That's why they're rushing off to China and South East Asia to invest in. If they really know about Nigeria as to what we know, they did be investing alot of money in this wonderful Nation.

What we're trying to do is create awareness and build a brand. Thai Alpha Nigeria is here to build trust. We've been through alot. And more hurdles lies ahead. My Managing Director and our brothers/family/partners has been through alot. And we'll continue to deliver through our continued hard work and integrity. Once they (the world) trust and they see our results, they will start doing even more business with the Nigerians in general. We're still small players compared to those really big Nigerian companies. But we've come so far and we're not giving up.

The BIG BOYS know that Nigeria is the next BIG THING. The big boys (the really wealthy) in the western countries know that Nigeria will grow and it will grow at a very rapid pace. And I'm pretty sure they're taking action. I think informed investors around the world will also know the massive opportunities that is in Nigeria but need a way to invest in Nigeria and this is where we did like to help them do so.

These are my personal thoughts above. And because we (our company) believed in everything I had written above, we worked towards it and did our best to see if what we believed is true or not. Obviously its true.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I will write down the critical gaps that exist between Nigeria and the world from my opinion and personal experience.

1) General Lack of Trust - There is some truth to it as the locals themselves do not trust each other. But alot of it is also overhyped. Nigerians are some of the most honest, hard working and dynamic people on the planet. If you’ve made a friend here, you’ve made a friend for life. There are plenty of honest and trustworthy people here looking to promote a generation of high standards of business and trust. We realized that the KEY to building a successful business here is RELATIONSHIPS.

2) General lack of knowledge about Nigeria. – People know very little about Nigeria. They have never been to Nigeria nor do they ever plan to. This lack of knowledge leaves a big gap in grabbing onto the opportunities that others eventually will.

3) High rate of fraud – Yes it is true. There is fraud. But there are frauds everywhere. If you use your common sense, you won’t be making mistakes here or anywhere else.

4) Media Scare – Media overhypes everything. Unfortunately Nigeria constantly gets a bad rep from media especially when it comes to scams. However, this is slowly changing and business channels are now spreading the news about the growing economy and business opportunities in Nigeria.

5) Mediocre Legal System – There is a lot of corruption here. But there is corruption every else. However this does not stops honest hard working people from doing what they have to build business empires based on "trust" and "integrity".

6) Inexperienced Management – Business are unable to grow from a certain point due to lack of management skills. However this is slowly changing, thanks in a large part to forums such as Nairaland for the priceless information here and the internet.

7) Unwillingness of entrepreneurs to live in Nigeria – Let’s face it. You have to be tough and rugged to live in Nigeria. Foreigners may just find Nigeria a tee bit harder to live in.

cool Unwillingness of entrepreneurs to travel back and forth on a monthly basis. -- Nigeria is pretty far from alot countries. Travelling back and forth is a very tiring endeavor.

9) Underdeveloped infrastructure. – The infrastructure of Nigeria still needs some work. But with proper management and our wonderful team on ground, we make sure that goods and services are delivered regardless of the infrastructure.

Thank you all for your comments and I am humbled by the attention this thread has got. I've read all your comments and I will try my best to answer everyone to the best of my ability. We're here to stay.

In my next post, I will try to further elaborate on why I had believed that Nigeria would be a great place to do business in.

My humblest regards,

Your Friend.
all well said one thing I want u to do is "eliminate d situation where employment/recruitment agent collect close to half of worker salary as their own gain" this situation make me weep try as much as possible to inform your fellow foreigners.

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
Ademat7: all well said one thing I want u to do is "eliminate d situation where employment/recruitment agent collect close to half of worker salary as their own gain" this situation make me weep try as much as possible to inform your fellow foreigners.

*look of disdain*

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by SangoCrusader: 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2014
Great to hear your story and I wish you the best of luck in the Haulage industry. I am going to be moving back to Nigeria myself to start a Financial Services company, so I was overjoyed to read your experiences and even happier to know that you found the right fit in the end,,

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by SangoCrusader: 4:15pm On Aug 26, 2014
goodnature:

Can we sincerely do business together? If you wish, please contact me through: bola.lamina@gmail.com

Na wa o, already u dey try gba the guy? shocked

SMh @goodnature. ur mind no pure...
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Ademat7(m): 4:15pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

There are A LOT of BRILLIANT Nigerians. Just not on Nairaland. Try LinkedIn and Twitter.

I get the reluctance to give advice here. The return on the time invested to type it all out on Nairaland is minimal. Not a lot of intelligent feedback. I started talking about my father and I, and our experience in the palm oil business in one thread, but I stopped after awhile. Nothing gained.
but you inspire me on oil palm with ur write up,you made impact but lack of feedback mk u think u dnt.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Ademat7(m): 4:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

*look of disdain*
how do you mean ma
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 26, 2014
Ademat7: but you inspire me on oil palm with ur write up,you made impact but lack of feedback mk u think u dnt.

Really? You were in that thread?

Well, I wasn't trying to make an impact, I was hoping to learn from others. But I was the only one talking. That was why I stopped.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
Ademat7: how do you mean ma

One, he's not running for office. He doesn't have to do anything for anyone. Two, he doesn't have a direct line to "his fellow foreigners". It's him and his family. The end.

It would make more sense if you warned him personally about making use of unscrupulous employment recruiters.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by deturla: 4:28pm On Aug 26, 2014
ThaiAlNigeria: Greetings Nairalanders,

Looking forward to be a valuable contributor in these forums.

I'm from Bangkok Thailand and our company has been doing business in Nigeria for almost 2 years.

We have a registered company in Nigeria as well as in Bangkok and Dubai.

My elder brother saw an opportunity in Nigeria and made up his mind that Nigeria indeed has a great many opportunities.

Needless to say, actually implementing the idea was not an easy task.

We faced so many great hurdles to make it here that we almost closed down our business at the end of first year for reasons I will further explain soon.

I will separate my post into 2 phases.

1) Our first & second business idea and how that failed (Rice, Clothing and imports)
2) our third business idea and how we made it. (Haulage)

I will start with the first phase

Our first business idea was importing Rice into Nigeria. Seeing that I am from Thailand and Nigerians love Thai rice it sounded like a valid business plan. So we went around Lagos searching for buyers. We came across several powerful women that trades in Rice. We saw these huge warehouses full of rice and many container of rice being offloaded into the warehouses. They were willing and enthusiastic to work with us if we could get them their price. Daily rice prices are fixed. So we made a connection with these powerful women.

Now our next goal was to find the rice at the right prices here in Thailand. But it does not end there. We had to register our rice with Nafdac (Nigerian agency for food and drug). And going to the process of Nafdac is amazingly time consuming and expensive. We hired a lawyer to help us speed the process.

We had also known that the import taxes on rice into Nigeria is 40%. Now here was the issue. We tried finding a source of rice at the right prices here in Thailand but it was not possible. The reason it was not possible was because the import taxes were too high and there was no way we could have made any money selling to the Nigerian Market. We wondered how did other people do it? We investigated. We went to the port and made some connections with some people there and found out that rice importers were not paying import taxes. They were paying money under-table. It is an acceptable practice. But we understood it was against the law and decided to drop the idea of importing rice as wanted to wholly abide by the country laws 100%. We could have made money with the right connections but decided not to go this route.

That is failure of our first business plan.

Our second business plan basically involved importing clothes worth around $2000-$4000. But we failed to sell enough in the market. Due to competition and lack of market research we failed.

After this we decided to try to import various stuff into Nigeria like Air conditioners and electronics. But we realized that the prices the buyers were asking were too low compared to what the factories were selling it for. Plus due to heavy competition, complexity in import/export process and direct easy access to factories itself via alibaba and websites; we as middlemen importers were not needed and even if we were our profit margins would be very little.

So we kissed our import dreams goodbye as well.

Almost 1 year in Nigeria had passed.

If there is one thing we learnt.....doing business in Nigeria was NOT easy.

If you are interested, I will next write the second phase of our story later and tell you how & why we succeeded and the extreme difficulties (To the point where we were about to lose most of our fortunes) we faced before we succeeded in our next venture. (Haulage)

My humblest regards.

Your Friend.

PM me, I work with one of the Big fours...in Nigeria....
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by deebsman1(m): 4:46pm On Aug 26, 2014
Hemanwel: It's an open secret that the Nigerian investment clime gives good return on investment.
Once you have a solid start-up capital,and a fantastic idea,then you are good to go!
Mr Thai,your testimony shall remain permanent!Just ensure a proper welfare plan for your employees.

unlike d Lebanese and the Indians plus d Chinese, gr8 guys with good ideas for businesses in 9ja but bad welfare packages and condition of work for their workers......i notice 1 thing thou, he kept repeating it that "u should always keep your drivers(workers) happy".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by kaylobs(m): 4:57pm On Aug 26, 2014
Let's just keep reading and learning...
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by omanzo02: 4:58pm On Aug 26, 2014
Hahaha READERS ALERT

This is a SCAM thread............this guy in baiting people to contact him and then he will start fleecing their money.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by HandOfChukwu: 5:19pm On Aug 26, 2014
kaylobs: Let's just keep reading and learning...
Reading and learning what? Nigerians are to foolish, why would a Nigerian get excited about a chink coming to Nigeria to take money away from the country by doing something any Nigerian with half a brain can do?
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by virago(f): 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2014
Pavore9: Following....but the English and flow sounds Nigerian!

I thought I was the only one who noticed this

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Shell 2015 Livewire Apply Now!! / Dangote Becomes $20m Wealthier, Maintains Spot As Africa’s Richest Man / Dangote Now 64th Richest Person In The World - Bloomberg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.