Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,431 members, 7,830,159 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (163) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (870740 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by azeezbaba(m): 11:59pm On Nov 15, 2014
vajayi:
Yes I filled d the ds160 by myself

You have not told us why you didn't pay your sevis? Is it that you don't know about SEVIS fee payment or what? When I went for my B1/B2 interview in January 2014 (Abuja), a student was asked about his SEVIS fee receipt but he couldn't produce it and it seemed the student didn't even know how to go about it cos I could hear the VO telling him how to go about the payment afterwhich she told the boy to come back for his visa after paying his SEVIS fee. So, I think you were not refused because of non-payment of SEVIS.

2ndly, I know someone who attended the interview with his 5months old pregnant wife and the VO didn't ask her if she was pregnant. Again, I don't think u were refused based on the pregnancy question. We think this VOs are super-humans but they are not. I don't think the VO could have noticed that you are pregnant.

My advice, pay your SEVIS fee, re-apply and when you are asked if you are pregnant, it's better you say yes and defend yourself.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 16, 2014
vajayi:
Vo:good morning
Me:good morning ma
vo:can I have your documents
I handed it to her
Vo: wat school and course
Me:told her
Vo:why agricultural economics phd
Me: gave her d reason
Vo:Where dd u do ur msg and bsc?
Me: X and y universities
Vo:Are u pregnant?
Me:no
Vo:show me d financial statement of ur sponsor
Me:hands over about 10m statement of Father
Vo:did he sponsor msc in uk?
Me:yh
Vo:m sorry bla bla bla,and thus the denial.

dunno wat I did wrong,but dey wrote servis not paid boldly on my document at the first screening place

Hello
I bolded a few points I'm going to elaborate on

Firstly you didn't pay sevis fee(why). That enough is grounds for denial but then let's look beyond the sevis fee.

You didn't state the school.
Is it a red flag school?
Why isn't the PhD funded?? This is very strange.
It's very rare to see non funded phds because the financial burden it gives is NOT worth the returns at least in the short term after school. Besides the same person who sponsored your msc which is expensive in the UK, is that person willing to invest 5 years of tuition continuously?? In the US? Thats more than $25000 per annum for 5 years. The V. O probably saw this as a red flag too.

Also, what was the reason you gave her as why you want to have a PhD in agricultural economics ? Many answers come across as generic. So you can restate so people can help you hone the comments.

Next point, have you ever been to the US embassy before? Do you have a history with the embassy?
I don't think the pregnancy thing matters.

Before you reapply you need to ponder about the points above so you can get your Visa without hassle. PhDs get visa with ease.

Good luck.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bayocanny: 12:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
datguru:

Man, check your mail

Replied sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 16, 2014
Anybody,know universities still admitting for spring2015?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 16, 2014
stevecrun:
Yes! University of Lagos Distance Learning Institute. Hope this helps

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by datguru: 1:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
bayocanny:

Replied sir

i didnt see it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by STENON(f): 1:39pm On Nov 16, 2014
[quote
author=slimmy05 post=28045321]stenon, is your friend omo baba olowo?
Well he can't get straight medicine. I will suggest he apply for
undergraduate program probably in human science. After graduation then
he can apply for medicine. Medicine is not for all ma'am, the programme
is freaking expensive.[/quote] Lol...So you can speak Yoruba..
owkay, thank you very much for your response,
I have told him and the choice is now left for him, bt he is condering the age factor, He will finish his undergraduate at 24, As you have said, He shld go for another 4 yrs Undergraduate in Human science = 28yrs, before proceeding for his Medicine and surgery. Please won't age be a barrier for him by that time?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by STENON(f): 1:41pm On Nov 16, 2014
slimmy05:
LOL....You are very funny.......
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 2:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
slimmy05:
Unilag DLI is not admitting for spring 2015, applications are only open for summer and fall 2015.
The concerned person can try YCT for spring admission.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 16, 2014
slimmy05:
dis man dey serious for once

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Mystiqme: 2:55pm On Nov 16, 2014
ebdib:

Hello
I bolded a few points I'm going to elaborate on

Firstly you didn't pay sevis fee(why). That enough is grounds for denial but then let's look beyond the sevis fee.

You didn't state the school.
Is it a red flag school?
Why isn't the PhD funded?? This is very strange.
It's very rare to see non funded phds because the financial burden it gives is NOT worth the returns at least in the short term after school. Besides the same person who sponsored your msc which is expensive in the UK, is that person willing to invest 5 years of tuition continuously?? In the US? Thats more than $25000 per annum for 5 years. The V. O probably saw this as a red flag too.

Also, what was the reason you gave her as why you want to have a PhD in agricultural economics ? Many answers come across as generic. So you can restate so people can help you hone the comments.

Next point, have you ever been to the US embassy before? Do you have a history with the embassy?
I don't think the pregnancy thing matters.

Before you reapply you need to ponder about the points above so you can get your Visa without hassle. PhDs get visa with ease.

Good luck.
I think this nails it. If the program is an accredited PhD program, with funding, and she has not had prior issues with the embassy, then it's extremely rare to be refused a visa. However now that she had lied about the pregnancy, if she shows up next time with a slight bulge, then that's another issue entirely.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dicapino: 3:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
Horayce:

Generally, the most competetive candidates end up in stanford, UT austin, Texas A/M because they have the best engineering programs/deepest links with industry/recruiters but any of University of houston, LSU, University of Oklahoma Norman , University of Alaska, School of mines should be a decent choice too. I'll consider University of Louisiana Lafayette, Texas Tech as relatively safe schools but you'll still need to put in a competitive profile( Good gpa, good gre quant scores, rec letters, solid sop) because of the demand for petroleum nowadays. Good luck
Petroleum Engineering Schools

Is Alaska not too cold for a Nigerian...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by portelli: 3:26pm On Nov 16, 2014
Hello NL
Since I had health related problems in the past years that made me to drop out of school, can I cite that as a reason for my gap years after high school since I also have a medical report for it?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by vajayi: 4:49pm On Nov 16, 2014
D servis fee,I got to know about it very late,about 3 days 3days prior to the interview.the school is university of nebraska_lincoln.i applied really late and all d schools I applied to already got their funding exhausted for the year;and assured me of getting some sort of funding as soon as soon as the fall session start.i only have to pay for d first semester of the first year.
I told them I want to do agric economics because I wanna come back and assist my father establish is large scale farming business after his retirement since that was what I majored in during my bsc.
maybe dat was another place I got it wrong.
I am just really confused.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by vajayi: 4:50pm On Nov 16, 2014
Also I have never been to the American embassy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Folarge06(m): 5:43pm On Nov 16, 2014
House please how long does it take SEVIS payment confirmation made through western union to reflect on the fmjfee website.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by weomet: 6:53pm On Nov 16, 2014
Hi guys, I just gained admission for an engineering msc program in d usa. So the next step for me is to get an I20 from the school. As non of my family members have d 7 million bucks in their bank account I think I have to use the bank statement of a non-relative. What are d odds of me.being successful in getting my I20 and ultimately a student visa using a non relative bank statement? And I want to defer my admission from spring 2015 to fall 2015 mainly due to financial reasons - can I tell the school that that's why am deferring? Thanks guys!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 16, 2014
vajayi:
D servis fee,I got to know about it very late,about 3 days 3days prior to the interview.the school is university of nebraska_lincoln.i applied really late and all d schools I applied to already got their funding exhausted for the year;and assured me of getting some sort of funding as soon as soon as the fall session start.i only have to pay for d first semester of the first year.
I told them I want to do agric economics because I wanna come back and assist my father establish is large scale farming business after his retirement since that was what I majored in during my bsc.
maybe dat was another place I got it wrong.
I am just really confused.

why not wait till fall and get funding? Are you sure you can afford that fee for PhD for 4 to 5years. Even masters student are searching all round for finance.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bayocanny: 7:05pm On Nov 16, 2014
stevecrun:

University of South Alabama, Mobile – 1-Dec
University of Southern California – 1-Dec
Missouri University of Science & Technology,
Rolla – 15-Dec
Wright State University, Dayton – Rolling
University of Toledo – Rolling 1-Dec

Time no dey ur side guy, sharply apply

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bayocanny: 7:10pm On Nov 16, 2014
datguru:

i didnt see it

I don refire sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 8:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
slimmy05:

Comedian Slimmy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 8:06pm On Nov 16, 2014
innovativeame:

Unilag DLI is not admitting for spring 2015, applications are only open for summer and fall 2015.
The concerned person can try YCT for spring admission.

I cant shout and laugh here oo

Maybe YCT part time will be the best.. grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 8:10pm On Nov 16, 2014
exxy:
“Success is a process, not an event”

You are right!

exxy:
It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.

Hmmmmmmmm

exxy:
Don't evade the truth about your life, face it, and then work to make your life better.
We're afraid, it's because we don't know enough. If we understood enough, we would never be afraid.

This make sense....

But now are you a motivational poster or what? Hope you preparing to fly out this December
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 8:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
weomet:
Hi guys, I just gained admission for an engineering msc program in d usa. So the next step for me is to get an I20 from the school. As non of my family members have d 7 million bucks in their bank account I think I have to use the bank statement of a non-relative. What are d odds of me.being successful in getting my I20 and ultimately a student visa using a non relative bank statement? And I want to defer my admission from spring 2015 to fall 2015 mainly due to financial reasons - can I tell the school that that's why am deferring? Thanks guys!
You can use a non - relative bank statement for your i20 as well as process ur visa as long as the statement is good for the purpose and you will be able to defend yourself as to what your sponsor stand to gain for spending such a huge some on you. Nigerian culture promotes the extended family system. However, I would not advise you telling your prospective school that you want to defer your admission for financial reasons, there are thousands of cogent reasons apart from finance.
Finally, be courageous, face the dragon and get the gift.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 8:34pm On Nov 16, 2014
Walspring:

You are right!

Hmmmmmmmm

This make sense....

But now are you a motivational poster or what? Hope you preparing to fly out this December
This thread needs motivational speakers like him, some despondent blokes and babe get motivated through this medium. We need another Myles in our generation
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by nedum360: 10:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
steve4ever:
u r rit STENON the pregnancy,may be part of it. She might av noticed,dey r trained xpert. U ought to av say d truth. Dnt you think there must be a reason for asking the questn...

I beg to disagree with both of you. Even clairvoyants cannot decipher any pregnancy without any visible bulge. The point here is that the VOs are properly schooled in their job; they can tell when you're lying. Your countenance, being fidgety and lack of proper eye contact easily gives u away. These are time tested principles which intelligent agencies in advanced countries have used to nail criminals to great effect. In essence, these guys know next to nothing about you. They just tweak your psyche in order to get the info they need.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:39am On Nov 17, 2014
Folarge06:
House please how long does it take SEVIS payment confirmation made through western union to reflect on the fmjfee website.
mine took about a day. I checked a day after a friend paid mine via western union, and it was good.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dharmy002(m): 7:21am On Nov 17, 2014
Hello house, please I need your assistance here. What can someone tell the VO that he has been doing since 4years he had finished from secondary school till date? He also got his Waec d same year he wrote it. I have a cousin going for interview in lagos in 2days time. Please we need your responses house. Walspring, slimmy, bigfrancis, and rest of others.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:12am On Nov 17, 2014
bayocanny:

University of South Alabama, Mobile – 1-Dec
University of Southern California – 1-Dec
Missouri University of Science & Technology,
Rolla – 15-Dec
Wright State University, Dayton – Rolling
University of Toledo – Rolling 1-Dec

Time no dey ur side guy, sharply apply
Thanks my man..and God bless you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 17, 2014
dharmy002:
Hello house, please I need your assistance here. What can someone tell the VO that he has been doing since 4years he had finished from secondary school till date? He also got his Waec d same year he wrote it. I have a cousin going for interview in lagos in 2days time. Please we need your responses house. Walspring, slimmy, bigfrancis, and rest of others.
Na 4 years dey bother your cousin?When people get gap of 8 or 12 years..Lol

He should tell the VO what he's been doing..if he has been sleeping for four years and suddenly got a bang,woke up and applied for a USA visa he should say that..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by portelli: 9:44am On Nov 17, 2014
Pls house some people say that when one is demonstrating what one is saying with ones hands before the VO, the VO will consider that as an act of lie. Pls house is that true?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by richard4ssky: 10:14am On Nov 17, 2014
Please house I want to fine out if it is important to go for interview with his NYSC certificate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) ... (502)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 / Lets Talk About Estonia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.