Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,984 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (166) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (868991 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 18, 2014
weomet:

This is an ideal time to apply for fall as ur application would be considered an early one.
About the research and work experience part, it depends on the course u are applying for - some schools will be stricter on d work experience and research than others.
I personally think graduate schools don't expect much from African students in work experience because they are aware we don't always have opportunities to work.in our related fields. Just get a great score in ur Gre and apply to any school that offers ur course and that u Meet their requirements. The project is good enough research experience, in my opinion. Success.

The bolded is not true.
Admissions committees doesn't give concessions because you're from Africa.
That's why as an African applicant you have to package your application well. If you know what I mean by packaging.
Or else, lack of experience will send your application into the garbage bin.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 9:30am On Nov 18, 2014
streetMic:
Visit baba Ijebu

Graviton2:

Please visit Sambisa cheesy grin

Funny guys!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dicapino: 9:52am On Nov 18, 2014
weomet:

This is an ideal time to apply for fall as ur application would be considered an early one.
About the research and work experience part, it depends on the course u are applying for - some schools will be stricter on d work experience and research than others.
I personally think graduate schools don't expect much from African students in work experience because they are aware we don't always have opportunities to work.in our related fields. Just get a great score in ur Gre and apply to any school that offers ur course and that u Meet their requirements. The project is good enough research experience, in my opinion. Success.

thanks for your response; it's been very helpful.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dicapino: 9:56am On Nov 18, 2014
ebdib:

The bolded is not true.
That's why as an African applicant you have to package your application well. If you know what I mean by packaging.

Packaging as in how...edbid?. Please bros be more expansive.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by sandfield: 10:29am On Nov 18, 2014
Hello, people in the house.Can someone go to the embassy with two pages of bank statement?I mean two month bank statement.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by gbaby4live: 10:30am On Nov 18, 2014
slimmy05:
Yes you can. Email the school bf give them cogent reasons why you would not be able to attend the school this spring. Then you can enrol for sat and TOEFL and apply to the school of your choice.
Thanks slimmy for your swift response..... do I need to inform the school that am already in USA? or pretend as if am still in Nigeria if I wanna defer my admission ….
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Gigibangs(f): 12:45pm On Nov 18, 2014
Interview coming up on 28th Nov....in abuja God's favour

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 1:23pm On Nov 18, 2014
sandfield:
Hello, people in the house.Can someone go to the embassy with two pages of bank statement?I mean two month bank statement.

No you cant because they asked for 6 months..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 1:25pm On Nov 18, 2014
Gigibangs:
Interview coming up on 28th Nov....in abuja God's favour

God's favour is ours in the name of Jesus... Amen!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dicapino: 2:42pm On Nov 18, 2014
So how do I write a SOP: guidelines.
Its quite difficult to ferret out quality SOP formats from the multitude you found on the internet.

Thanks again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by teddyrain(m): 2:48pm On Nov 18, 2014
My ogas at the roof if i have eko bank savings account here in Naija how best can i easily withdraw money from the account from the US without them charging me like Mtn? grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by osahons9(m): 4:25pm On Nov 18, 2014
Walspring:

Six months? Or must not be less than six months old? Which oh. I have three months SOA oh.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by biikeys(m): 4:35pm On Nov 18, 2014
dicapino:

Packaging as in how...edbid?. Please bros be more expansive.

Things like research experience don't really matter much once you have good GRE scores and other supporting documents (good SOP, undergrad CGPA, letters of recommendation etc), except you're applying to top tier schools...so I'd say it depends on schools you're applying to...There are schools you won't even get graduate admission to without having written conference papers,journals etc.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dicapino: 4:57pm On Nov 18, 2014
biikeys:

Things like research experience don't really matter much once you have good GRE scores and other supporting documents (good SOP, undergrad CGPA, letters of recommendation etc), except you're applying to top tier schools...so I'd say it depends on schools you're applying to...There are schools you won't even get graduate admission to without having written conference papers,journals etc.

Okay...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by weomet: 4:58pm On Nov 18, 2014
ebdib:

The bolded is not true.

Bros, I almost became defensive when I saw the not true comment. I have friends that got admission into respectable engineering schools and had no engineering experience work-wise.
Anyways I meant it ll be given lesser consideration than the other admission documents, especially if it has not been too long that you finished your undergraduate study.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by portelli: 5:02pm On Nov 18, 2014
osahons9:

Six months? Or must not be less than six months old? Which oh. I have three months SOA oh.
I think the key issue here is the SOA must be dated within six months from the date of the interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by sandfield: 5:15pm On Nov 18, 2014
Walspring:

what I mean is that for instance,someone interview is November 20, can one go with September,October and November account statement?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Gbemmy121(m): 5:18pm On Nov 18, 2014
For Undergraduate studies
teddyrain:
are you for undergraduate or masters
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by honeyad(m): 5:19pm On Nov 18, 2014
sandfield:
what I mean is that for instance,someone interview is November 20, can one go with September,October and November account statement?

Yes you can... What they actually mean is the print date must be less than 6 months before your interview date..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 5:20pm On Nov 18, 2014
STENON:
Hello, Good day to everybody.
@imperioxxx, zeezahbee,slimmy05,walspring, doctormalik and other great people on this forum,

Please I'm asking this question based on one of my friends.

He got withdrawal from medicine and surgery at OAU in 300 level, they gave him an alternative to go and start frm 200 level in other departmnt, so he's now studying child Development and Family studies.
He is so much interested in going for medicine and surgery in US.
Please is it possible for him to apply and start as an undergraduate in medicine and surgery, with GA for tuition waiver prior to his present Undergraduate discipline, or pls is it possible to apply as a transfer studnt for medicine and surgery after he has graduated, with reference to his undergraduate discipline and without attending the pre medicine sch in US?
He is ready to write all standardized exams.

Thanks for your usual help...

First of all, how are you doing?

Your question, there is nothing like undergrad medicine in US as it's done in Nigeria. Medicine is neither undergrad nor grad course in the US. It's like a professional course. You will have to finish a first degree, declare your major as a science course or premed. Then take the MCAT and if you pass the exam and have a good undergrad gpa, you will be on your way to studying medicine. If you don't, you can consider going for a grad course in science, then re write MCAT and see if things go well this time.

This means without a good first/second degree or prerequisites in science and MCAT no medicine.

However, Americans take lot of loans to study medicine, so he should forget about GA.

In a nutshell, the US system makes studying medicine harder than that in Nigeria. Now do you think your friend can cope with this?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by opad(m): 6:07pm On Nov 18, 2014
bijouxcutey:
@ Opad,please when did you start you WES processing? Wes got my documents since 17th of Oct,and sent me a mail by 21st that my documents were sent back for verification. Since then,i have been calling my school for fast verification,but as at friday lasst week,it hadn't been received. and wes didn't pick my calls. Please what do I do?

You've got to be patient sir. They don't pick up their calls but respond emails in 12 hours less. Transcript status received Oct 10 and status changed to 'Awaiting verification by institution' Oct 12. I was lucky they used email verification system, if t were mail, they'll likely use standard delivery which could take 3 weeks or less. Send a mail to WES asking what method they used for verification.
Speed of evaluation depends on institutions i think not WES.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ctemi(f): 7:16pm On Nov 18, 2014
opad:

You've got to be patient sir. They don't pick up their calls but respond emails in 12 hours less. Transcript status received Oct 10 and status changed to 'Awaiting verification by institution' Oct 12. I was lucky they used email verification system, if t were mail, they'll likely use standard delivery which could take 3 weeks or less. Send a mail to WES asking what method they used for verification.
Speed of evaluation depends on institutions i think not WES.
How far have you view your evaluated transcript gpa
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 18, 2014
weomet:

Bros, I almost became defensive when I saw the not true comment. I have friends that got admission into respectable engineering schools and had no engineering experience work-wise.
Anyways I meant it ll be given lesser consideration than the other admission documents, especially if it has not been too long that you finished your undergraduate study.
I concur. All my experience has been in finance but i was accepted at all the engineering programs i applied to.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by nedum360: 8:25pm On Nov 18, 2014
imperiouxx:

Your question, there is nothing like undergrad medicine in US as it's done in Nigeria. Medicine is neither undergrad nor grad course in the US. It's like a professional course. You will have to finish a first degree, declare your major as a science course or premed. Then take the MCAT and if you pass the exam and have a good undergrad gpa, you will be on your way to studying medicine. If you don't, you can consider going for a grad course in science, then re write MCAT and see if things go well this time.

This means without a good first/second degree or prerequisites in science and MCAT no medicine.

However, Americans take lot of loans to study medicine, so he should forget about GA.

In a nutshell, the US system makes studying medicine harder than that in Nigeria. Now do you think your friend can cope with this?

I think I should chip into this discussion. There's undergraduate medicine in the united states. It's called premed. You muSt not necessarily do a first degree.
Studying medicine in the united states is no small matter in terms of cost. Most American doctors spend the better part of their career paying back student loans. That's why medicine is more profitable for foreign trained doctors.
Moreover, do you really think that someone that failed out of medical school in Nigeria can cope in the united states? Food for thought.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by amanze15(m): 8:49pm On Nov 18, 2014
Thanks guys for your support, do u guys think TOEFL is simpler than GRE
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by STENON(f): 9:04pm On Nov 18, 2014
[quote
author=imperiouxx post=28130019]

Your question, there is nothing like undergrad medicine in US as it's
done in Nigeria. Medicine is neither undergrad nor grad course in the
US. It's like a professional course. You will have to finish a first
degree, declare your major as a science course or premed. Then take the
MCAT and if you pass the exam and have a good undergrad gpa, you will be
on your way to studying medicine. If you don't, you can consider going
for a grad course in science, then re write MCAT and see if things go
well this time.

This means without a good first/second degree or prerequisites in
science and MCAT no medicine.

However, Americans take lot of loans to study medicine, so he should
forget about GA.

In a nutshell, the US system makes studying medicine harder than that in
Nigeria. Now do you think your friend can cope with this?[/quote] Thank you so much sir.

I'm doing good here and Planning towards spring 2016, I have gained alot from this thread, I have been following the topic ever since you introduced it to me sir. You have Greatly contributed to my success stories in this Life, Thank you so much and my special Greetings to your Family sir.

I have delivered the message to him, bt I dnt think he can cope and he said he will go for either UK or Ukraine medicine.
Thanks sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by weomet: 9:08pm On Nov 18, 2014
guys, I want to defer my admission from spring to fall. I am deferring fro financial reasons but do not want to tell the school that. Kindly help me with reasons that are cogent. From the discussions, some of us here have deferred, I would be grateful if you contribute.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by biikeys(m): 9:14pm On Nov 18, 2014
STENON:
Thank you so much sir.

I'm doing good here and Planning towards spring 2016, I have gained alot from this thread, I have been following the topic ever since you introduced it to me sir. You have Greatly contributed to my success stories in this Life, Thank you so much and my special Greetings to your Family sir.

I have delivered the message to him, bt I dnt think he can cope and he said he will go for either UK or Ukraine medicine.
Thanks sir

Germany and Romania are also good not-too-expensive places to study comparatively..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 9:26pm On Nov 18, 2014
amanze15:
Thanks guys for your support, do u guys think TOEFL is simpler than GRE

The two works separately and they are not the same but a body conduct the both exam

TOEFL means Test of English as a Foreign Language

GRE means Graduate Record Examination

TOEFL is for both Undergraduate and Graduate students

GRE is for Graduate Student only

If you study your materials very well, both are simpler

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 9:28pm On Nov 18, 2014
nedum360:

I think I should chip into this discussion. There's undergraduate medicine in the united states. It's called premed. You muSt not necessarily do a first degree.
Studying medicine in the united states is no small matter in terms of cost. Most American doctors spend the better part of their career paying back student loans. That's why medicine is more profitable for foreign trained doctors.
Moreover, do you really think that someone that failed out of medical school in Nigeria can cope in the united states? Food for thought.

lols. cheesy

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS UNDERGRAD MEDICINE CALLED PREMED. Premed is a term used for a declared major during first degree (AS or BS) in any community college or university and it's never automatic study of medicine.

1. medicine is only offered in medical schools AFTER your MCAT but premed is offered even in community college.
2. premed is selected science courses narrowed for prospective medical students or anyone who may eventually not pursue medicine. So premed is never a medical department.
3. First degree or premed prepares you for the MCAT and to fulfill the academic requirement for the course ahead.

So where did you see premed as undergrad medicine?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.