Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,009 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (267) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (866653 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
udeyokay:

Thanks bro
You know all these Visa officers are too smart.I was thinking may be because of my ocupation being business,was what disqualifies my student's visa during my last interview so I decided to find something withing this period before fall session Starts. Even if it would be teaching physics in secondary school.
Going back for further study doesn't affect your status as a business man. All you need to state is your desires and what motivated you to dust your certs for masters degree.

I have learnt a lot over the past and I took my time to study VO's. Interview decision are most times based on the VO's discretion as at the time of the interview if he should issue you visa or not. Your qualification or work experience might not come handy in some cases. My first interview denial was a shock. The VO made some very shallow statements and if in a real working country I would have replied in a not so good way. He demanded for my certificate which wasn't ready and I told him it's not ready yet. What I had with me then was my statement of result. He was wondering for 4years no cert, well shame on Nigerian institution.

The second interview, she didn't even ask me for any document not even GRE or Ielts result or bank statement. Just the letter of scholarship and that was it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by biikeys(m): 4:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
seangy4konji:
That's nice but did you tell the consular you are planning to get get a job close to the White House after graduation or prior graduation it's been your dream to work in Washington, D.C.?

I studied in TX though...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jan 03, 2015
seangy4konji:
Please house. Is 80 a good score in toefl?
Its not a good score, it would be a good score if you're indian lol. It's ok though in as much as it meets your schools cut off.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by foohard: 4:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
It wont affect it.. I used a usa address when applying for admission and I applied for visa in Nigeria...

Classicalmusic:
It will affect it. Use Nigerian home address. It's very important because you're applying for visa from home and the embassy does not really lay emphasis on previous travel before issuing a visa. They only care about "home ties."
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by foohard: 4:16pm On Jan 03, 2015
Still... I had a usa address on my i-20 and applied for visa in Nigeria which affirmed that it wont affect it.

Classicalmusic:
Sure i know he's filling application but on the I-20, what will be the address finally?

I have respect for you so i'm not trying to talk you down.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by foohard: 4:20pm On Jan 03, 2015
Not excellent and not bad... I am not sure for underg requirements but for graduate requirements, lots of school requires 79 in TOEFL so your score should suffice depending on your course..

seangy4konji:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Classicalmusic: 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
slimmy05:
I understand bro. I never insinuated you're talking me down. It doesnt in anyway affect anything. Postal address is different from residential address. If he is to receive his documents in Canada, he doesn't have any issues at all. All my documents had foreign address even my sevis receipt and sponsors address.
Ok man @foohard too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jan 03, 2015
Classicalmusic:
Ok man @foohard too.
How is Boston?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by warpedlogician: 5:52pm On Jan 03, 2015
seangy4konji:

80 is poor for grad school.
>90 is good.
A lot of guys get over 100.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by seangy4konji: 6:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
Graduate.

I will push myself to the limits. No rushing.
mcfarlin:

All thanks should be to GOD.

Besides are you going for undergraduate? Or graduate?.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by seangy4konji: 6:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
Thanks bro.
warpedlogician:

>90 is good.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 03, 2015
What resources are you using for prepping? Have you picked another date?
seangy4konji:
Thanks bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by exxy(m): 6:51pm On Jan 03, 2015
Has any body used Lyca network before ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by exxy(m): 6:56pm On Jan 03, 2015
imperiouxx:

The main reasons you did. That won't hunt you. How have you been?
I'm good bro!, I'm in Bronx, are u still in nyc?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by taiwo09: 8:05pm On Jan 03, 2015
Hi house, please I will like I know if it's compulsory to do GRE because I'm about to register for Toefl and I will be going for my master. Thanks for the love always.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Femicrux: 8:16pm On Jan 03, 2015
I heard mobile phones in the U.S. are more costlier than their equivalents in Nigeria. Pls, how true is this?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jan 03, 2015
It is not compulsory. Check the admission requirements of the schools you plan applying to.
taiwo09:
Hi house, please I will like I know if it's compulsory to do GRE because I'm about to register for Toefl and I will be going for my master. Thanks for the love always.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2015
taiwo09:
I will advice you write GRE
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Theflint1(m): 8:34pm On Jan 03, 2015
nomso27:

We just dey
boss u gat a pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by taiwo09: 9:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
Tanks SirRiddy and slimmy05...much love kiss

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 9:56pm On Jan 03, 2015
seangy4konji:
Well what I think you should understand is that not everyone who enter a plane to USA has the thought of emigrating to USA or wherever the belle might face. Belle will go there. But it will be so foolish of a man to under estimate an enemy that might not want you to go or see wherever you want to just by thinking I can tell you I am going to marry your woman in America and start a family. Your next route will be Guatemala or Mexico.

Before we were born?our fathers studied in America and came back to Nigeria so it don't matter whatever te consular thinks,he or she knows any Nigerian given a visa to study in USA will one way or the other contribute to the economy either goo or bad ways.

Leave their statistics and forget stories for the gods. We v intellects who contribute very wel in academics so if them like which they can't do without us,the ot is never rub it on the face of a consular that you are not coming back unless you are obasanjo pikin cos ambassadors done wih him.

Sorry for d long update. Tipsy lipsy.

Bless.

Irrespective of whether you choose to stay behind or not, that's a personal decision up to the applicant himself. What we are talking about here is getting your visa in the first place and one sure way of doing that is by selling yourself well. It's all about marketing yourself. How well do you market yourself to the visa officer? One good way of doing that is from how intelligent/smart you appear to the visa officer. This you can prove by your art of speaking and/or if you have good grades already, by presenting your grades. Note, this is not always the case as there are always exceptions to every rule, but this 'rule' is definite on its own.

As for the statistics you mentioned, you could google that up. Know that the actual number of Nigerian F1 students who return home (and other international students too) is very small compared to the number that stay behind after study, save for the chinese students who actually return home athan they stay behind. You think the US embassy doesn't know how to tighten the home ties proof? Why do you think the interview process is simply just a dialogue? Why do you think the US embassy doesn't ask for landed/building documents, marriage certificate, job letter, or other home-ties proof to ensure that you are returning back to Nigeria after study? Why do you think the home ties rules are so lax? Or why do you think the US government is planning the immigration overhaul to effectively increase the number of visas for international students who studied in the US, to have them remain behind? The embassy knows you are, more likely than not, not coming back to your country. The statistics are there. Whether you choose to return to Nigeria to contribute positively to it after your study or you choose not to remains up to you. Well, if you actually return, great then. Good for you. They don't care. Give the VO the reason to believe you got potential and they'll most definitely grant you your visa. At the end of the day, over 85% will remain behind, those ones being the 'smart'/'intelligent' ones they let come in, who will go on to work hard and contribute positively to the economy and their economy progresses. A win situation for them and loss situation for Nigeria due to brain drain. The brain drain problem that has been talked about where our smartest ones are swallowed up by foreign countries where they contribute in more ways to those countries and the 'average' ones are left behind in Nigeria. I feel bad for this though.

You have to look at the visa interview process from the viewpoint of the visa officers themselves/the US to better understand the interview process. Don't view the process from one angle. By the way, don't get me wrong, never mention in your statements to the VO any intentions of staying behind in the US after study. You don't need to anyway, they already know.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by taiwo09: 10:20pm On Jan 03, 2015
Please anyone with GRE materials pls help forward it to brainlange11@gmail.com
Thanks always house
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
I just added you to a GRE facebook group. Accept, go to the 'file' section of the group. You will have access to a plethora of GRE resources
taiwo09:
Please anyone with GRE materials pls help forward it to brainlange11@gmail.com
Thanks always house
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 03, 2015
Found this site that is touted as a good place to help with TOEFL prep:
notefull.com

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dicapino: 10:50pm On Jan 03, 2015
warpedlogician:

>90 is good.

Hello, guys i am not finding the speaking section easy. Apart from using my phone recorder, what else would i find helpful. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by warpedlogician: 10:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
dicapino:

Hello, guys i am not finding the speaking section easy. Apart from using my phone recorder, what else would i find helpful. Thanks

Speak slowly. Not too slowly sha
Cram Your intros for all 6 sets of questions.
The question set is always the same.
Just different questions. But form is the same.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dicapino: 11:16pm On Jan 03, 2015
warpedlogician:

Speak slowly. Not too slowly sha
Cram Your intros for all 6 sets of questions.
The question set is always the same.
Just different questions. But form is the same.

Guy. for example, the first question is a personal question: your best teacher, hobby or the likes. How are they similar, its confusing me seriously? What material did you use.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by seangy4konji: 11:18pm On Jan 03, 2015
I got some copy from the self study e mail @gmail.com and also got a book from a Pakistani friend.I have problem only with essay and that's with GRE only.i understand English and all but essays is my problem. I studied mathematics and statistics as first degree so the maths aspect is never a problem I never get myself with essays. While trying to write essays?i tend to forget everything in my head.
sirRiddy:
What resources are you using for prepping? Have you picked another date?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jan 03, 2015
I had a 4.5 in AWA. I think you need to practise more, no shortcuts.
seangy4konji:
I got some copy from the self study e mail @gmail.com and also got a book from a Pakistani friend.I have problem only with essay and that's with GRE only.i understand English and all but essays is my problem. I studied mathematics and statistics as first degree so the maths aspect is never a problem I never get myself with essays. While trying to write essays?i tend to forget everything in my head.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by warpedlogician: 11:43pm On Jan 03, 2015
dicapino:

Guy. for example, the first question is a personal question: your best teacher, hobby or the likes. How are they similar, its confusing me seriously? What material did you use.

Because they involve you stating a personal anecdote.
'In my opinion, my favorite teacher/hobby/whatever is.....
I like this teacher / person / hobby because........
For example this teacher / hobby / whatever is.......
Also I like this teacher because........
A good example to display this is.........
So all in all this teacher / hobby / whatever is very close to my heart and these are the reasons why I like him /her /it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by seangy4konji: 12:03am On Jan 04, 2015
Yes. Full attention starting Monday.need to get rid of the Xmas beer belly,chicken/turkey stomach and sex. Get tired easily after little stress now.not used to reading for a while as it was just money making brain books aside but that's chNged now I don't want shortcuts. D success stories here gave me inspiration and gunning for it. Real life. Bro.

I still find it funny when guys talk on this thread on how it's tough in USA and job hours and 8$ per hour and co and you can't work for some hours and all. Reason is I sent myself to 2 UNis in ng one private and one government.lived in UAE for a year and my rent was 800$ per month without utilities(water,electricity,etisalat wifi,du international calls)and shayo and clubbing and family stuffs. Pretty expensive than USA so unless you are doing the wrong things. USA is cheap bit I thank god because I am not from a rich family but a well brought up tout who believe in the power of my hands ad my destiny is in my hands.i live like king no matter the country cos life is short. Make the best use of it while breathing. .
seangy4konji:
Yes. Full attention starting Monday.need to get rid of the Xmas beer belly,chicken/turkey stomach and sex. Get tired easily after little stress now.not used to reading for a while as it was just obey making brain books aside but that's chNged now I don't want shortcuts. D success stories here gave me inspiration and gunning for it. Real life. Bro
sirRiddy:
I had a 4.5 in AWA. I think you need to practice more, no shortcuts.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by seangy4konji: 12:23am On Jan 04, 2015
My brother. Take shnapps gin and clear your throat with Tom Tom. Thank me later.
dicapino:

(1) (2) (3) ... (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.