Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,761 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) (75878 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi In Brazil With His Wives (Photos) / Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo / Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates His 77th Birthday With Youngest Wife (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by macof(m): 9:42pm On Aug 30, 2014
stinggy:
Don't twist history pls, there wasn't Oyo at the time. He went back to Ife to inherit his father's throne but left disappointed to establish Oyo as the first Alaafin

Lol grin where did u hear this?

Because as I know, Obalufon was king of ife when Oranmiyan left Oyo to take back the throne of his fathers. This made Obalufon run to Ekiti region.
Why would Oranmiyan be disappointed

unless you can show me how am wrong and you right.
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by cbrass(m): 10:52pm On Aug 30, 2014
macof:

Lol grin where did u hear this?

Because as I know, Obalufon was king of ife when Oranmiyan left Oyo to take back the throne of his fathers. This made Obalufon run to Ekiti region.
Why would Oranmiyan be disappointed

unless you can show me how am wrong and you right.

You are very wrong, pls stop peddling lies for Godsake!! Ooni will always remain a high priest that he has always been and it will remain like that. Or what is the meaning of the word Ooni to you, you people know the truth but will always run away from it. The standadised and must popular and recognised language is the Oyo language and culture from which all other yoruba regions drew theirs, why aint we speaking Ife language today doesn't this tell you something here
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by macof(m): 1:18am On Aug 31, 2014
cbrass:

You are very wrong, pls stop peddling lies for Godsake!! Ooni will always remain a high priest that he has always been and it will remain like that. Or what is the meaning of the word Ooni to you, you people know the truth but will always run away from it. The standadised and must popular and recognised language is the Oyo language and culture from which all other yoruba regions drew theirs, why aint we speaking Ife language today doesn't this tell you something here

What lies High priest Wat high priest function is the Ooni even performing?? although some say Ooni has only one day off from rituals and prayers, I don't see the Ooni office being that of a priest??
Let's even say it's a priest? So what? Ife has always had king priests from it's earliest known history.

Again with this language?? This shows that you don't know history and what you stated before is wack, you keep bringing up language as if we all don't know why Oyo language is wide spread.
It's simply because of the oyo empire which took much parts of Modern western Nigerian extending to Togo and Benin...like English language spread to the British colonies in Africa

The coming Christian missionaries also further pushed the oyo language which is the root of the so called "standard Yoruba"

But then what has this got to do with Alaafin and Ooni??

all other Yoruba regions didn't draw their culture or language from Oyo?? Other regions have what they stand for, their own language or dialect which got nothing to do with Oyo
There are many people in my Village who can't speak "Yoruba" they speak Ekiti which an Oyo man would never understand
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by cbrass(m): 10:40pm On Aug 31, 2014
macof:

What lies High priest Wat high priest function is the Ooni even performing?? although some say Ooni has only one day off from rituals and prayers, I don't see the Ooni office being that of a priest??
Let's even say it's a priest? So what? Ife has always had king priests from it's earliest known history.

Again with this language?? This shows that you don't know history and what you stated before is wack, you keep bringing up language as if we all don't know why Oyo language is wide spread.
It's simply because of the oyo empire which took much parts of Modern western Nigerian extending to Togo and Benin...like English language spread to the British colonies in Africa

The coming Christian missionaries also further pushed the oyo language which is the root of the so called "standard Yoruba"

But then what has this got to do with Alaafin and Ooni??

all other Yoruba regions didn't draw their culture or language from Oyo?? Other regions have what they stand for, their own language or dialect which got nothing to do with Oyo
There are many people in my Village who can't speak "Yoruba" they speak Ekiti which an Oyo man would never understand

There is nothing like highpreist King, its either u r a king or an highpriest..opps sorry you just short your self in the leg tongue
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by macof(m): 11:15pm On Aug 31, 2014
cbrass:

There is nothing like highpreist King, its either u r a king or an highpriest..opps sorry you just short your self in the leg tongue

Then you don't know Yoruba history Mr. go learn some and come back
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by cbrass(m): 12:36am On Sep 02, 2014
macof:

Then you don't know Yoruba history Mr. go learn some and come back
its you that should go an learn , not me. first of all go and find the true meaning of Ooni and how that name came up..pls dont bring the olofin crap you have been giving me since oo, then i will know if you truly know history but without that am your boss and you must always look up to me grin
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by 7lives: 8:57am On Sep 02, 2014
cbrass:
its you that should go an learn , not me. first of all go and find the true meaning of Ooni and how that name came up..pls dont bring the olofin crap you have been giving me since oo, then i will know if you truly know history but without that am your boss and you must always look up to me grin

Let me help you to understand something that might be of use to you in the future, I hope you will not be disappointed to discovered that Ile ife in those days is viewed as a sacred place because of all the Yoruba idols that were kept in a shrine in Ife and nothing more.
When alafin Aole popularly known as Oba elepe seek to destroy Afonja, he asked Afoja to attack and sack Iwere ile and Ile Ife, Afonja refused to attack Iwere because the Iwere people were very strong at that time, Afonja refused to attack Ife not because Ife had power to defend itself but because Ife is seen in Yoruba land as the spiritual home of the Yorubas, but still the land belongs to the alafin because both Ile Ife and Iwere Ile and all the Yoruba land as far as Benin republic were all under the control of Oyo empire at that period.
Hence the saying ajise bi Oyo laari, Oyo ki i se bi babanla baba enikan, meaning whatsoever is in vogue in Oyo must happen everywhere, everyone is subservient to Oyo, Oyo is subservient to none.
Mind you I am a direct descendant of Olugbon a member of Oyomesi and my mother is from Lagos state, it is engraved in Yoruba history that the one and only king in Yoruba land to dare an Alafin is Olowu of Owu and this is because he sees himself as the FIRST KING IN YORUBA LAND which is actually true, Owu la ko da and infact olowu became a king when he was a baby and this is why Olowu is called asunkun gba ade, olowu of owu, no where in history did we hear of an Ooni daring an Alafin.
Did you know there was once a FEMALE Ooni in ile Ife?, this is where a lot went wrong with Ife, even if this Female Ooni is a direct descendant of Oduduwa, could her husband also be a direct descendant of Oduduwa?, mind you Yoruba practice monarchical systems of government through patrimony, did you actually think the children of this female Ooni will be accorded any special respect if they mount the throne in Ife?, hell no.
Why?, the people knows who their father is and their father is from a different lineage because, the female Ooni is already a descendant of Oduduwa, so the husband cannot be a son of Oduduwa Yorubas don't marry their relatives incest is not in our tradition.
This is what happened to the position of Ooni and this is what the first class obas in Oyo Osun axis knows that most Nigerians don't know, they are simply saying oko kii je ti baba, t'omo, ko ma laa ala. meaning we may be the same but there is a slight difference.
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by cbrass(m): 5:00pm On Sep 02, 2014
7lives:

Let me help you to understand something that might be of use to you in the future, I hope you will not be disappointed to discovered that Ile ife in those days is viewed as a sacred place because of all the Yoruba idols that were kept in a shrine in Ife and nothing more.
When alafin Aole popularly known as Oba elepe seek to destroy Afonja, he asked Afoja to attack and sack Iwere ile and Ile Ife, Afonja refused to attack Iwere because the Iwere people were very strong at that time, Afonja refused to attack Ife not because Ife had power to defend itself but because Ife is seen in Yoruba land as the spiritual home of the Yorubas, but still the land belongs to the alafin because both Ile Ife and Iwere Ile and all the Yoruba land as far as Benin republic were all under the control of Oyo empire at that period.
Hence the saying ajise bi Oyo laari, Oyo ki i se bi babanla baba enikan, meaning whatsoever is in vogue in Oyo must happen everywhere, everyone is subservient to Oyo, Oyo is subservient to none.
Mind you I am a direct descendant of Olugbon a member of Oyomesi and my mother is from Lagos state, it is engraved in Yoruba history that the one and only king in Yoruba land to dare an Alafin is Olowu of Owu and this is because he sees himself as the FIRST KING IN YORUBA LAND which is actually true, Owu la ko da and infact olowu became a king when he was a baby and this is why Olowu is called asunkun gba ade, olowu of owu, no where in history did we hear of an Ooni daring an Alafin.
Did you know there was once a FEMALE Ooni in ile Ife?, this is where a lot went wrong with Ife, even if this Female Ooni is a direct descendant of Oduduwa, could her husband also be a direct descendant of Oduduwa?, mind you Yoruba practice monarchical systems of government through patrimony, did you actually think the children of this female Ooni will be accorded any special respect if they mount the throne in Ife?, hell no.
Why?, the people knows who their father is and their father is from a different lineage because, the female Ooni is already a descendant of Oduduwa, so the husband cannot be a son of Oduduwa Yorubas don't marry their relatives incest is not in our tradition.
This is what happened to the position of Ooni and this is what the first class obas in Oyo Osun axis knows that most Nigerians don't know, they are simply saying oko kii je ti baba, t'omo, ko ma laa ala. meaning we may be the same but there is a slight difference.

Wao am so pleased, I don't even know all this. Buy why will some people continue to push the Ooni as the senior of Aalafin? I even learnt that the Owa of Ijesaland, exposed some secrets about the Ooni not being any king let alone to be called the senior of Alafin. I also leanrt that Ooni could have been the son of a stranger that came or wass passing through Ile-ife during a festival when no one was supposed to be outside. She was spared and her son made to serve in the shrine hence he was named Ooni meaning "the strange one". Please does iwere still exists. As for that Owu story-am quite confused that the Alake seems to be held in high esteem than Olowu in Egbaland, what could have caused it? Thanks
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by macof(m): 9:09pm On Sep 02, 2014
cbrass:

Wao am so pleased, I don't even know all this. Buy why will some people continue to push the Ooni as the senior of Aalafin? I even learnt that the Owa of Ijesaland, exposed some secrets about the Ooni not being any king let alone to be called the senior of Alafin. I also leanrt that Ooni could have been the son of a stranger that came or wass passing through Ile-ife during a festival when no one was supposed to be outside. She was spared and her son made to serve in the shrine hence he was named Ooni meaning "the strange one". Please does iwere still exists. As for that Owu story-am quite confused that the Alake seems to be held in high esteem than Olowu in Egbaland, what could have caused it? Thanks

Omg!shocked what's all this?

Cbrass aren't u the same one who posted this to me

its you that should go an learn , not me.
first of all go and find the true meaning of
Ooni and how that name came up..pls dont
bring the olofin crap you have been giving
me since oo, then i will know if you truly
know history but without that am your boss
and you must always look up to me
After this bragging you don't know about how Olowu got his crown, you don't know how Olowu got to Egbaland and why Alake is considered his senior in egba hierarchy, you don't know Ooni is Ogun the eldest son of oduduwa's household

grin grin for a boy like you challenging me I find it funny...
Pls go learn Yoruba history from your uncles at home and stop speaking on what you don't know

Ooni is the most sacred title in Yorubaland, the fact that it's Ooni today and not Olofin like it was back then doesn't change a thing
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by cbrass(m): 2:08am On Sep 03, 2014
macof:

Omg!shocked what's all this?

Cbrass aren't u the same one who posted this to me

After this bragging you don't know about how Olowu got his crown, you don't know how Olowu got to Egbaland and why Alake is considered his senior in egba hierarchy, you don't know Ooni is Ogun the eldest son of oduduwa's household

grin grin for a boy like you challenging me I find it funny...
Pls go learn Yoruba history from your uncles at home and stop speaking on what you don't know

Ooni is the most sacred title in Yorubaland, the fact that it's Ooni today and not Olofin like it was back then doesn't change a thing

Because I asked why Alake is considered the senior of Olowu doesn't mean I didn't know how Olowu formed Owu, infact there are some issues behind it cos It was not too long that OBJ helped them solve the dispute some few years back, out of Oduduwa's son there is no Ogun so where did u get yours from. Wether you like it or not Ooni is a preist and not a king!
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by macof(m): 9:19am On Sep 03, 2014
cbrass:

Because I asked why Alake is considered the senior of Olowu doesn't mean I didn't know how Olowu formed Owu, infact there are some issues behind it cos It was not too long that OBJ helped them solve the dispute some few years back, out of Oduduwa's son there is no Ogun so where did u get yours from. Wether you like it or not Ooni is a preist and not a king!

You are just a waste of time..go learn Yoruba history and stop reading online oyo-centric articles trying to undermine the sacredness of the Ooni title
I blame Oba Sijuwade for this anyway
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by macof(m): 10:30am On Sep 03, 2014
Lemme tell you a little story I picked up.
Ogun the same known as Adimu to his peers was they son of a woman from Ekiti region best known as Oluwo, she was brought to the palace as a slave to be used as sacrifice so Okanbi(some might say it was actually oduduwa) might have children. after some incidence of misunderstanding, at night the slave was made to sleep in one of the Queen's rooms, which Okanbi went in thinking it was his wife.
the next day as the ritual was to commence, It was revealed that she was pregnant and a pregnant woman can't be used as sacrifice, she was advised to become an Ifa priestess, which many consider her the first Iyanifa in history. at the birth of her child, the wives of Okanbi got pregnant one by one- the 7sons of Okanbi. Ogun was the eldest son of oduduwa's house and lived as a prince helping his mother out in the work of priesthood which got him the nickname Oonirisha. After the transition of oduduwa, he took the position of Olufe as Olofin Adimula. He remains one of the most influential and significant rulers in Ife, the Olojo festival started with him

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by cbrass(m): 7:43pm On Sep 03, 2014
macof:

You are just a waste of time..go learn Yoruba history and stop reading online oyo-centric articles trying to undermine the sacredness of the Ooni title
I blame Oba Sijuwade for this anyway

Ahaha...yipeee I win tongue
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by PeterKbaba: 1:42pm On Dec 23, 2014

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by tpiadotcom: 4:05pm On Apr 10, 2015

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Who Knows Any Igbo Name That Starts With Letter P? / Emmanuella Ropo "I Am Not Ooni Ogunwusi's New Wife" / Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.