Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Health Advice: Doctors Online - Health (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Advice: Doctors Online (65279 Views)

Consult Nigerian Doctors Online / Health Advice; Doctors Pleeeeaaassse! / Health Is Wealth: Health Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 8:28am On Feb 02, 2015
tammyloreoluwa:
Hey marc what does moderate growth of staph mean? Did HVS lastweek dat was d result. How long is it gonna take to treat it fully

Moderate growth of Staph indicates the Staph is increasing in number moderately.

The time it will take to treat depends on the effectiveness of the treatment. There are cases where ineffective treatment(guised as effective treatment) failed, the staph malady recurred.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by tammyloreoluwa(f): 12:03pm On Feb 02, 2015
Tanks am starting treatment but herbal tho..kedi product will see ow it goes.. Cus its obvious drugs and injection aint working.. Could dat have been the reason I wasn't ovulating?
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by mumjk: 1:30pm On Feb 02, 2015
Marc9:

That's likely PMS(Post Menstrual Syndrome). I'm not sure, but I think the cause is the high level of progesterone against the low level of estrogen immediately after the period.
pls wat can I do or take to ease d pain? And it won't stop me from conceiving?
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 2:13pm On Feb 02, 2015
Hi Dr. Marc9. Please can you prescribe any drug or nutritional supplements I could take for weight gain? I'm in my mid 20s and about 5.6, yet my average weight is about 53/54kg. Even when I put on a k.g or so this minute, I lose it the next.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 6:58pm On Feb 02, 2015
Driven:
Hi Dr. Marc9. Please can you prescribe any drug or nutritional supplements I could take for weight gain? I'm in my mid 20s and about 5.6, yet my average weight is about 53/54kg. Even when I put on a k.g or so this minute, I lose it the next.

Hmmmmm. This isnt normal. Go get a proper assessement from a physician.

You need to figure out why you are unable to gain weight and or why you are loosing weight.

You are young so hopefully it is benign and easily treatable.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 6:46am On Feb 04, 2015
Good morning.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by khaleesi(f): 3:17pm On Feb 04, 2015
Thank you
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by youngchopper(m): 4:53pm On Feb 04, 2015
good day doc
my younger brother did a tumor operation on his stomach
a very big one late last year, after months of the operation it persist and still growing
they just did a test and it came out he has sarcoma,
sir is this anyway cancer related, what professional advice will you give
thanks
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 04, 2015
youngchopper:
good day doc
my younger brother did a tumor operation on his stomach
a very big one late last year, after months of the operation it persist and still growing
they just did a test and it came out he has sarcoma,
sir is this anyway cancer related, what professional advice will you give
thanks

Sarcoma is a connective tissue malignant tumor. In other words, it's a cancer of the skin.

I'll advise you guys schedule an appointment with an oncologist, plus he has to begin chemotherapy immediately.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by youngchopper(m): 8:47pm On Feb 04, 2015
Marc9:

Sarcoma is a connective tissue malignant tumor. In other words, it's a cancer of the skin.

I'll advise he you guys schedule an appointment with an oncologist, plus chemotherapy.
how cost effective it is sir?
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 9:05pm On Feb 04, 2015
youngchopper:

how cost effective it is sir?

I really don't have an idea. I can help you find out and brief you.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by youngchopper(m): 9:13pm On Feb 04, 2015
Marc9:

thanks
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by khaleesi(f): 10:22am On Feb 05, 2015
Marc9:

Goodday doc. Still waiting for your response
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 05, 2015
khaleesi:
My questions are as follows:
1.Why do i have all these symptoms and he doesnt have any
2.what Does heavy growth means? Does it mean i have had in my system all these while..if yes then why take so long to show and why is it after having sex with my new partner
3. How come the staph is in his swab but in my urine..why the difference?
4. How long do we wait to retest
Thank you

You likely have UTI secondary to staphylococcus a. bacteriuria. This isn't a common cause of UTI in normally healthy individuals, but it does happen. This bug is native and normally found in the human body. It only becomes a problem if you are immunocompromised or some other risk factors that increasese your chance of infection.

Answers to your question:

1. You are the source of this organism since it's found in large quantity in your urine
2. Heavy growth means you have large amounts of it found in your urine. It could be contamination, but if you are having dysuria (pain with urination), then you likely have UTI from this bug. Yes. it's always in your system normally. It is a problem when you host immune defense is low or down for some reason. I would go and get a full panel of STD including HIV antibody ELISA test ASAP.
3. The staph is in his swab because he got it from your V*agina/urethra during intercourse.
4. You go and retest in 7-10 days. But this is likely lower on your priority list right now.

Addendum:
I am guessing you are not acutely ill right now. But, my concern is the risk of getting bacteremia resulting in sepsis from staph. a.; which is not good at all. Bacteremia is bug in your blood stream.
The fact that you have staph bacteriuria and candidaitis is great concern for lowered immune defense.
My recommendation: Make an appointment with your GP like ASAP and get an thorough history and physical exam and basic blood work that includes blood sugar levels. PLEASE get HIV Elisa antibody test especially with new partner.

Take care.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 3:04pm On Feb 05, 2015
khaleesi:

Goodday doc. Still waiting for your response

I should add; you should probably make sure that the staph a is methicillin sensitive and not MRSA and treated with correct antibodies (if it is MRSA).

I really hope this is just a huge contamination and not some more serious going on. Practice safe sex with barrier protection like condom; it is not 100% full proof however.

Do let me know how it goes.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by khaleesi(f): 3:37pm On Feb 05, 2015
My recommendation: Make an appointment with your GP like ASAP and get an thorough history and physical exam and basic blood work that includes blood sugar levels.

Take care. [/quote

Thanks
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Adesiji77: 3:41pm On Feb 05, 2015
@Marc9 @ Xiadnat

Please, what is the best remedy for P.E with the least side-effects?
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 3:57pm On Feb 05, 2015
khaleesi:
Hello Doc. Please i need your advise..i am glad i came accross this forum
I and my bf have been dating for abt 2 mnths plus now. The first time i had sex i started noticing some thick white discharge with little itching after abt 4-5 days. After a while it stopped. Two weeks later we had sex again. 4-5 days later the discharge resumed with itching and was getting worse by the day. I had to go to the lab for urine culture and hvs. My bf also went for same at a different lab. His result came out first..nothing was found in his urine and staph aureus was found in the swab. He was shocked cos he has never treated any of such or have any symptoms. I dont know if his growth was moderate, scanty or heavy. By the time my results came out my discharge was already yellow, with painful itching and sharp pain when i want to urinate. My result shows yeast infection in my urine and swab.. heavy growth of staph aureus was isolated in my urine. We both took different drugs base on what the organism is sensitive to in our test result. His was sensitive to ciprotab and mine was zinnacet. I also took nystatin insert drugs for the yeast infection. My questions are as follows:
1.Why do i have all these symptoms and he doesnt have any
2. Does heavy growth means i have had in my system all these while..if yes then why take so long to show and why is it after having sex with my new partner
3. How come the staph is in his swab but in my urine..why the difference?
4. How long do we wait to retest

Its about 4 days since i finished treatment. I started treating the yeast infection 1st and the itching persisted but immediately i took the 1st does of the staph treatment it stopped. I finished all the drugs and yesterday i start sensing a lil itch in my private part which if i scratch doesnt give me any sensation to continue non stop. I dont know if its all my imagination now...the pain is gone but i still see the white discharge. I am worried if its all gone and if i can be reinfected. Thank you

1. Ladies tend to show clinical symptoms than men.

2. Heavy growth doesn't necessarily mean the Staph is chronic. It actually means there's low immune level, or the symbiotic florae(the lactobacilli genus) are likely inactive/inhibited.

3. Urine or swab, the point is that d staph was isolated in you guys.

4. Probably some weeks after treatment.

Here's d actual deal..... Staph is part of the human florae. It's an opportunistic pathogen, just like candida. The lactobacilli is a primary symbiotic florae that control and regulate the activities of staph and its cohorts. The lactobacillus secretes lactic acid, and hydrogen peroxide, which inhibits the growth of pathogenic genital florae.

So, when you had sex with your new partner, it was likely you picked up a particular strain of bacteria(Staph spp) known to break down the lactic acid and the hydrogen peroxide secreted by lactobacilli. That explains why the local staph and the candida were isolated heavily in your swab and urine sample(non-sterile sample).

The staph wasn't isolated in his urine because the bacteria is part of his genital flora(external), and requires a swab test.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by khaleesi(f): 4:23pm On Feb 05, 2015
[quote author=Marc9 post=30454390]

Thanks i appreciate. Alot of medical terms but i can relate...
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 05, 2015
khaleesi:

Thanks i appreciate. Alot of medical terms but i can relate...i hope this can be treated and reinfection avoided? Also the white odourless discharge i am having now is it supposed to be a normal cleansing process? Thanks

Sorry for the ambiguous terms. In lay words, you likely picked up a strain of bacteria from your boyfriend, and the bacteria seem to favor the growth of candida in you.

I'll advise you abstain from unprotected sex for now till after treatment.

The discharge, if it's not malodorous, is likely a normal discharge, not necessarily pathogenic induced discharge.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 6:43pm On Feb 05, 2015
Adesiji77:
@Marc9 @ Xiadnat

Please, what is the best remedy for P.E with the least side-effects?

What is PE? Pulmonary embolism? If it is embolism, head to your nearest ED or A&E and get IV heparin stat.

But I have a feeling you aren't talking about that.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 6:58pm On Feb 05, 2015
khaleesi:

Thanks alot for the reply.
When u said the UTI is secondary to staph a. Pls what do u mean? I am not ill and symptoms have all cleared up just the white odourless discharge. The pain with urine was like the tip of my labia was sored so when the urine touches it, it stings and it stopped the moment i took the 1st dose of Zinnat.

I have always had issues with frequent urinating which was why i did the swab in 2013 in the 1st place which showed i had UTI and e.coli was the cause. I m not worried abt my HIV status but will do the test all the same. My major concern is if this staph aureus can be cured, how did it get there esp since i was not sexually active for about 7 months before now and how i can avoid a reinfection. Also pls i dont understand what u mean by bacteremia resulting in sepsis. Will go for a retest on monday and let you know the outcome. Thanks

I meant UTI due to staph a. Well, if it's getting better then that's good news. You seem to have recurrent UTIs; which is common in sexually active young women. I suggest prophylactic measures then since you are prone to UTI. The pain at tip of labia might just be from irritation from candida/yeast infection.

How it got there? Not sure, perhaps a coincidence. Highly suspect a contamination if it's not clean catch or lab mix up. Maybe your new partner introduced it into your urethra. But, how you got plenty in your urine is of concern. Who knows. It doesn't matter now. The important thing is to make sure you do not have underlying problem. I would still get STD/HIV test though and check your blood sugar.

What can you do avoid recurrence? Hmm.. Tough, perhaps nothing. But, you can diminish the chance of recurrence. Ever heard of chlorhexidine wash? Other things: Urinate right after sex, try cranberry juice, can even self-administer antibiotic before sex or at start of symptoms of UTI (preferably with your doctors permission and script), drink plenty of water, limit spicy stuff.

Hope that answers your questions, if not, don't hesitate to ask.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 7:05pm On Feb 05, 2015
Khalessi,

RE: chlorhexidine soap wash to decolonize your perineum, see if it helps if you can obtain it.

Here is a study on it for more information: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24521588

Granted it was a study done in intensive care unit, the result is just as valid for general population.

I encourage you to read more about it.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Adesiji77: 10:23pm On Feb 05, 2015
Xiadnat:

What is PE? Pulmonary embolism? If it is embolism, head to your nearest ED or A&E and get IV heparin stat.

But I have a feeling you aren't talking about that.

Premature E.jaculation
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by khaleesi(f): 5:08pm On Feb 06, 2015
[quote author=Marc9 post=30457615]

Ok Doc. Thanks alot. I appreciate
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by khaleesi(f): 5:10pm On Feb 06, 2015
[quote author=Xiadnat post=30459226]
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by deni7: 6:19pm On Feb 06, 2015
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 7:05am On Feb 08, 2015
deni7:
Hello docs in the house, I dont noe if you guyz can give me an advice on this but i will ask just incase I may be wrong.

So since I was about 11-12 years now i have had piles which was an on/off thing. Truth be told i didnt noe what was wrong with me at the time but i know i had constipation issues. As years went by, wen i realised wor was wrong i didnt go the hospital coz i didnt want surgery was so afraid. Heard of cases of eventual death or re-occurence even after going thru post op trauma.

Well i just worked on reducing constipation by taking water, eating lots of veggies nd also fibre supplements. I used over the counter ointment nd suppositries to reduce inflammation. Actually as a result of the piles i also have skin tags. I was in the UK briefly nd went to the GP they said the skintags are harmless and could be removed. It just coz the skin was stretched thats why.

Well am in my early twenties now. I can say the pile and growth has reduced drastically, it used to be really bad. Also i use the toilet with ease.

Now unto my question. Even though i dnt hv constipation anymore, wen i use the toilet i still small swellings in my back passage which shrinkes on its own after a day or two. I guess internal piles. I used the suppositries nd ointment again but its not shrinking it. Is there any new solution in naija asides the surgery. I have heard of THD/HALO though not introduced in naija yet. What do you think?

I am actually tired of the pile issue, its jst so embarrasing.

You just have to make your diets at least 60% fibre(vegetables and fruits), 20% carbohydrate, protein, and lipid, collectively, then 20% fluid(water or soy drink, but not processed soft drinks).

That's all I can advise.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 7:09am On Feb 08, 2015
Good morning.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by tonneth(f): 7:27am On Feb 08, 2015
Marc9:
Good morning.
Good morning dr marc9,please i have some questions to ask .Am 5weeks pregnant and already taking folic acid,but what other supplement should i take, have heard of pregnacare,how safe is it? And also sir,how soon should i go for antenatal?.thanks for your time.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 7:50am On Feb 08, 2015
tonneth:
Good morning dr marc9,please i have some questions to ask .Am 5weeks pregnant and already taking folic acid,but what other supplement should i take, have heard of pregnacare,how safe is it? And also sir,how soon should i go for antenatal?.thanks for your time.

The other nutrients are:
.Calcium
.Vitamin C
.Vitamin E
.B12

Pregnacare is a nutritional supplement ideal for expectant mothers. I'll recommend you get it.

ANC should begin at the start of 2nd trimester(4month/17weeks)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Identical Twins Married To Twins Give Birth To Identical Twins Same Day / 5 New Cases Of Coronavirus In Nigeria. Total 323 . 85 discharged. 10 deaths / Commercial Motorcyclist Commits Suicide In Ibadan By Hanging (Disturbing Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.