Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,061 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? (2135 Views)

10 Hilarious Ways Ladies Act When Guys Accidentally See Them Unclad / How To Catch Girls Who Only Want Your Money Oo!! / How To Catch Guys Who Only Want Your Body! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by ilurveit(f): 9:45pm On Oct 24, 2008
Ok first of all I know this is going to sound like poor me ooo, I'm really suffering with my upper middle class background and I don't want it to come across that way at all because I'm really greatful to God for my upbringing.

I'll admit I'm someone who grew up comfortable and ok a little ajebota-ish. My family is small. I have only one sister so my parents were really able to take care of us because they had good jobs. We weren't at all spoilt like we never just asked for money or took everything for granted like that, we always were grateful for everything we had and was given to us and we realised that none of what we had really belonged to us as in it was God's grace and our parent's generousity. We were expected to excel in school and in everything we did which we fulfilled.

Anyway, to my question. I recently returned from the US after finishing my bachelor's and I've been at home trying to organize my service (NYSC) for the next cycle. Since I've been home, I'm noticing one thing. Random guys in church and at my job keep toasting me. So at first I was flattered because I'm someone who's very honest with themselves and I know while I'm ok-looking, I'm not THAT fine like that. So I started talking to this guy, and like after a week of like really good conversation, he was like asking to borrow N90,000. I was soooooooo taken aback because I'm there like work experience so he knows I'm earning less than him so that means he must have been expecting me to ask my parents for that kind of money which of course I can't. I know they are working very hard for the money and I can't just ask for that amount like that. So when I refused the guy became very cold. This has happened again like 3 or 4 times with other guys and I'm getting really disillusioned.

I've never talked about my background with anyone at work or at church, when people ask where I stay, I try to be vague about it because I just really want to fit in. So it's not as if anyone knows me like that. But somehow they've judged me and made assumptions about me based on my parents (at church) and on Godknowswhat (at work) and now I can't even tell who wants to be friends for real and who wants me because of my parents financial situation. I'm not a snob at all, I'm really friendly and I'm the kind of person who can hang out with anyone.

So Nairalanders, my question is how do I trust people/guys who are trying to get close to me? And what can I do to get guys to like me for myself not my parents background.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by Tatase(f): 10:04pm On Oct 24, 2008
I think in your situation, it's hard not to come across as selfish or a snob but I understand what you mean. I think many guys would be happy to be in your situation because it seems that guys still like girls even after they know that the girls are only with them for their money. I think you need to build your self-esteem up and be proud of where you come from. If you're not getting the kind of guy you want, persevere. Eventually, the right guy will come along. Don't be so desparate to be in a relationship just because people are chatting you up and don't let the users get you down. Not all guys are like that.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by JJYOU: 10:23pm On Oct 24, 2008
ilurveit:

Ok first of all I know this is going to sound like poor me ooo, I'm really suffering with my upper middle class background and I don't want it to come across that way at all because I'm really greatful to God for my upbringing.

I'll admit I'm someone who grew up comfortable and ok a little ajebota-ish. My family is small. I have only one sister so my parents were really able to take care of us because they had good jobs. We weren't at all spoilt like we never just asked for money or took everything for granted like that, we always were grateful for everything we had and was given to us and we realised that none of what we had really belonged to us as in it was God's grace and our parent's generousity. We were expected to excel in school and in everything we did which we fulfilled.

Anyway, to my question. I recently returned from the US after finishing my bachelor's and I've been at home trying to organize my service (NYSC) for the next cycle. Since I've been home, I'm noticing one thing. Random guys in church and at my job keep toasting me. So at first I was flattered because I'm someone who's very honest with themselves and I know while I'm ok-looking, I'm not THAT fine like that. So I started talking to this guy, and like after a week of like really good conversation, he was like asking to borrow N90,000. I was soooooooo taken aback because I'm there like work experience so he knows I'm earning less than him so that means he must have been expecting me to ask my parents for that kind of money which of course I can't. I know they are working very hard for the money and I can't just ask for that amount like that. So when I refused the guy became very cold. This has happened again like 3 or 4 times with other guys and I'm getting really disillusioned.

I've never talked about my background with anyone at work or at church, when people ask where I stay, I try to be vague about it because I just really want to fit in. So it's not as if anyone knows me like that. But somehow they've judged me and made assumptions about me based on my parents (at church) and on Godknowswhat (at work) and now I can't even tell who wants to be friends for real and who wants me because of my parents financial situation. I'm not a snob at all, I'm really friendly and I'm the kind of person who can hang out with anyone.

So Nairalanders, my question is how do I trust people/guys who are trying to get close to me? And what can I do to get guys to like me for myself not my parents background.
be very carefull. it is naija thing to ask people for money knowing they wont ever pay back. i smell being taken advantage of. you dont need to tell anyone how rich you are. nigerians are smart and dig for unnecesary info. i have been there done that pulled off the T shirt some yrs back. it makes you think and work harder to find the right relationship. coming from your background and being grounded should help you make a better choice than the typical users and free loaders.

guys still like girls even after they know that the girls are only with them for their money
true but have you noticed that in majority of the cases too it gives the men great power of choice too?

topup, gamine, tope2000 and co this is your territory so come help one of our own out
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by victorian(f): 10:26pm On Oct 24, 2008
@ poster , dont be dissolusioned about it. Such type of people are everywhere, simply build on your self esteem, dont be too eager to fit 'in'. Relax and do whatever activities you have to  do in church and also at your home environment. Dont mind the fact that some people might see you as a snob, even when you are not. You cant please everyone or most people.
Just be yourself , be good, be watchful towards predators/ leeches coming up as friends, learn to understand what goes on around you and above all understand your needs and how to sort your needs independently. True sincere friends will come but they are few in number, also sincere guys will approach you intime. Dont limit your friendship around your church environment. I hope this helps smiley, take care.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by OBVIOUS(m): 10:31pm On Oct 24, 2008
Truth remains ajepako and ajebutter can't mix.

Just date someone on the same level as you. No wahala jare. This is not a big deal.

Kids with parents on the economi level that you are describing normally "hook" thier children up with other families from the same levels so rubbish like this dont' happen.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Oct 24, 2008
@ topic

Bleep them off and set a list of all he guys you have dumped. When you reach # 50 you can write a book entitled "How I Screwed 50 Guys Thanks To My Parents' Money"
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by OBVIOUS(m): 10:35pm On Oct 24, 2008
michelin89:

@ topic

Bleep them off and set a list of all he guys you have dumped. When you reach # 50 you can write a book entitled "How I Screwed 50 Guys Thanks To My Parents' Money"

You dis babe, you no go kill me with lafter, hehehehe
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by OBVIOUS(m): 10:37pm On Oct 24, 2008
She's still young na. When desperation sets in, she won't remember the man that asks her for N100,000, money is definately not everything, so you just have to choose wisely.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by Sauron1: 10:39pm On Oct 24, 2008
ilurveit:

The answer is YOU WILL NEVER KNOW.
There are many predators out there and would do anything to get close to you.
Any dude asking u to lend him 90k after 2 weeks is a wuss.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by ifyalways(f): 11:25pm On Oct 24, 2008
There are not for real,beware !
run !run ! ! run ! ! !
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by tope2000(f): 11:30pm On Oct 24, 2008
Tatase:

I think in your situation, it's hard not to come across as selfish or a snob but I understand what you mean. I think many guys would be happy to be in your situation because it seems that guys still like girls even after they know that the girls are only with them for their money. I think you need to build your self-esteem up and be proud of where you come from. If you're not getting the kind of guy you want, persevere. Eventually, the right guy will come along. Don't be so desparate to be in a relationship just because people are chatting you up and don't let the users get you down. Not all guys are like that.

i quite agree undecided
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by Cayon(f): 11:35pm On Oct 24, 2008
@poster

I read this and smile.

I've turned down guys because of family pressure

My dad (RIP) and my brothers from my father's side - no guy is good for me

from my mother;s side - they feel that the person should have money or the guy family should be of some "high status"
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by Danke: 11:56pm On Oct 24, 2008
@topic

hmmm dis is a tough one

u cant pls a guy,u can only pray to kiss d right frog
sm men r gold diggers,while sm are not

a man wt so much wisdom amturity and intelligence is wat u need

listen intelligence varies.419ners are intelligent,drug barons r too,im ttalking about one whos intelligence wen talking pierces ur heart positively,one who sounds like an independent man,why not try taking them out and insist on paying?why not try buying things and watch if its accepted with open eyes or grudginly? undecided
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by plusQueen: 12:01am On Oct 25, 2008
Are our men now that low?
Times have changed
I thought it was girls expecting men to dash them money and stuff,guys don begin do that too?
even coming out boldly to ask?
@ poster that is a guy you must keep away from
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by Pittbaby(f): 1:53am On Oct 25, 2008
@ Plus queen ,

My dear this are strange times , it is amusing to me when I see all the strings about girls only being after guys for money. personally as some one who was lucky enough to have a ride while in Uni. I can not count how many guys back in the day who would meet me and after a short while they would start professing love and very soon after that some sob story about how they need money to deal with one problem or the other. I saw thru it all and will laugh it off at the time . Its sad how a lot of people see others just as a means to getting what they want.

@Poster

Your name, background and parents do not define you. So many people will come and go in the journey of life , you have to just give them a chance to show what they will be to you. You can not take everyone who shows an interest in you seriously. My motto in life is I smile with a lot ,but i am friends with a few .
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by enfuse(m): 2:35am On Oct 25, 2008
@poster
Chances are the first set of guys to sniff you out as a comfortable person are the gold diggers so be carefull and expect more to come.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by biolabee(m): 6:03am On Oct 25, 2008
Pittbaby:

@Poster

Your name, background and parents do not define you. So many people will come and go in the journey of life , you have to just give them a chance to show what they will be to you. You can not take everyone who shows an interest in you seriously. My motto in life is I smile with a lot ,but i am friends with a few .

Word! dear post its unfortunate that d guys youve met so far have come across to u this way but the fact is that there are thousands of dudes out there who will treat n pamper u, hwever u cannot discount d fact that background is becoming a major factor ind choice of ladies they date,

U jus have to shine ur eyes,
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by Gamine(f): 2:24pm On Oct 25, 2008
Ah well.

Sometimes, one just wants to give up on dudes embarassed

Ive never been in your situation, but

Like someone suggested, Dating someone in your own "class" or wareva

is usually safer.

Pako and Butter, just dosnt mix right at times sad
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by Angolobabe(f): 5:13pm On Oct 25, 2008
they are not for real so beware ,as they are only after digging into ur pocket tru ur parents even if the money isnt flowing much from ur parents they don't see that ,they only see ur STATUS-big man pikkin  grin

my younger sister now in spain always had that kind of guys coming after her and as soon as they find a bigger fish they dump her,thats sad isnt it,now she has learnt her lesson.

but dont push all guys away for this reason,u will know the right guy when u meet him,this is exactly why most rich people like to mix only with there class to avoid this kind of things.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by BabyJinx: 5:29pm On Oct 25, 2008
Truth remains ajepako and ajebutter can't mix.

Just date someone on the same level as you. No wahala jare. This is not a big deal.

Kids with parents on the economi level that you are describing normally "hook" their children up with other families from the same levels so rubbish like this don't' happen.

You HIT the nail right on the head. Unfortunately, some people are all into the whole "Love conquers all" schtick
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by ilurveit(f): 10:33pm On Oct 25, 2008
All of you are wonderful. Thanks for all d advice and encouragement. So what I understand is the best thing is just to stick with people from the same kind of background as me. That's what my sister has been saying, but I don't want to come across as a snob. Maybe I need to just work on myself and stop caring what people think about me.
Baby Jinx:

[color=#990000][/color]

You HIT the nail right on the head. Unfortunately, some people are all into the whole "Love conquers all" schtick

I don't think "love conquers all," but I just never thought that economic level would become like one of my criteria for picking guys, and to me, it's a little sad to come to that realization because I feel like one of those girls that is assessing a guy's pocket the minute she meets him and that's not who I want to be.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by doncaster(m): 11:50pm On Oct 25, 2008
he was like asking to borrow N90,000

The word there is borrow not dash. If u don't have simple tell him u can't afford it.

So when I refused the guy became very cold

Do u want him to be all smile, its like u turned him down and as a human being he shouldn't be happy about it. so the rection is natural.

And what can I do to get guys to like me for myself not my parents background

Itz very hard but you will find one or one will find you.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by JJYOU: 12:32am On Oct 26, 2008
Gamine:

Ah well.

Sometimes, one just wants to give up on dudes embarassed

Ive never been in your situation, but

Like someone suggested, Dating someone in your own "class" or wareva

is usually safer.

Pako and Butter, just dosnt mix right at times sad
it does not mix. sadly for some you have to continually apologise for being blessed to make them comfortable.  sadly you can't help some people
ilurveit:

All of you are wonderful. Thanks for all d advice and encouragement. So what I understand is the best thing is just to stick with people from the same kind of background as me. That's what my sister has been saying, but I don't want to come across as a snob. Maybe I need to just work on myself and stop caring what people think about me.
I don't think "love conquers all," but I just never thought that economic level would become like one of my criteria for picking guys, and to me, it's a little sad to come to that realization because I feel like one of those girls that is assessing a guy's pocket the minute she meets him and that's not who I want to be.
they say love is blind but relationships and marraige opens your eye. relationships with people who feels disadvantaged is always high maintainance. don't forget they will have friends and family who will always look into your pocket too. it is bad enough being used by one person.
shine your eyes and never feel guilty nor apologise for being you.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by biolabee(m): 7:12am On Oct 26, 2008
ilurveit:

Thanks for the vote of confidence but the reality is that the equation of life is seldom cut out as we'd love it to be.
people have dated rich folks and lived wealthy for the beginning of their lives and become poor at the end while people who started out poor are sth today. ask our parents as a case in point.

Economic criteria forms a crucial aspect of any budding relationship which is y our gals have formed a new word prospect grin grin and vice versa. Though a man is meat to shoulder the woman n all, guys today are also looking at the backgrd to decide whether to roll with the gal. I speak on the premise that these are relationships that could yield fruit. If its a one-bang-thank-u-maam who cares abt the pocket of the gal.

I think u shd have an open mind and keep on studying pple and make ur own decisions cos the truth is that we all got issues, dating pple from the same/diff level would neva change that!
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by TOYOSI20(f): 4:05am On Oct 27, 2008
It also helps to really get to know a guy before u start dating. . . . . undecided
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by na2day2(m): 4:09am On Oct 27, 2008
@ post

dont get discourage, it is not just guys, girls do the same. i cant just begin to tell u hw many times they ask me for money after the usual, "how u dey?" greeting. it is frustrating for me to call 9ja just for that reason alone, they all seem to always have one project or the other or something they want u to help them buy, it gets very tiring  cry cry cry cry
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by H2O2: 4:22am On Oct 27, 2008
that's probably because you are too flashy with your parents' money.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by na2day2(m): 6:39am On Oct 27, 2008
so that automatically gives them the right to ask for 90,000 naira within a week of knowing someone? undecided undecided undecided undecided dude, u scare me sad

H2O2:

Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by ilurveit(f): 7:30am On Oct 27, 2008
H2O2:

I really don't think I am at least I try not to be. It's not as if they just hand me stacks of money to be flashy with. I live in their house and eat their food and sometimes they send me on errands with their car but it's not like we're the kind of family that is flashy or that people in our area know our business because we're so ostentatious. Maybe unknowingly it comes across like that, but if anything I go out of my way not to be flashy. I never talk about my family to anyone I'm not close friends with and I avoid talking about my background. I wasn't raised tobe boastful about the things we've been blessed with as if I were entitled to them or something and I don't think I'm flashy in my appearance. For example my phone is very old school (as in the olden days indestructable nokia 3330) and people at work even tease me about it.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by Emperoh(m): 9:54am On Oct 27, 2008
ilurveit,
I don;t think there is anything really to be scared of.
The demanding issue is also not about those from the rich class.
I can see you are trying your best to be modest and humble.
Thats not how to go about it. Live your life the way you know how to.
You don't need to hide yourself in whatever you do. Give and take, there are still not so rich hard working people out there
Who are proud of their little background. One thing i know is that you are humble but don't let that deny uou the good things live can afford you
If you have money for a better phone, get one. if you have money to look good, buy a car and rent an apartment, do so.
The guys will come around, the good ones, the bad ones and also the soncere and unscupulous but only common sense will sieve them all apart.

Note one thing, don't get interested, let them get interested. Let them do the chasing, fix the dates and pay the bills for such
You must not necessarily get a man from your same class. but a hardworking and honest young man is all you should ask for.

I for one won't be proud to know a girl paid my bills of lent me money.
In the end, only lend what you can afford to loose.
The best answer is always to be blunt. I DON'T HAVE SUCH MONEY!!!!
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by na2day2(m): 5:14pm On Oct 27, 2008
sweet heart, u dont need to explain urself to that dude, his point is baseless and rather disappointing, i felt like throwing up just reading his shameless argument. since when is it a crime to be rich? as long as u r not intentionally showing off, girl u r good. the next thread i will see on NL will be, "why is it that rich girls dont date poor men?" abeg make una dey respect una self, haba! angry angry angry angry

ilurveit:

I really don't think I am at least I try not to be. It's not as if they just hand me stacks of money to be flashy with. I live in their house and eat their food and sometimes they send me on errands with their car but it's not like we're the kind of family that is flashy or that people in our area know our business because we're so ostentatious. Maybe unknowingly it comes across like that, but if anything I go out of my way not to be flashy. I never talk about my family to anyone I'm not close friends with and I avoid talking about my background. I wasn't raised tobe boastful about the things we've been blessed with as if I were entitled to them or something and I don't think I'm flashy in my appearance. For example my phone is very old school (as in the olden days indestructable nokia 3330) and people at work even tease me about it.
Re: What Do You Do When Guys Only Want You Because Of Your Parents? by JJYOU: 7:08pm On Oct 27, 2008
na2day?:

sweet heart, u don't need to explain yourself to that dude, his point is baseless and rather disappointing, i felt like throwing up just reading his shameless argument. since when is it a crime to be rich? as long as u r not intentionally showing off, girl u r good. the next thread i will see on NL will be, "why is it that rich girls don't date poor men?" abeg make una dey respect una self, haba! angry angry angry angry

thank you. thank you. thank you. some people always want you to apologise for being blessed or rich. too bad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor Rapes Pastor’s Wife Inside Church. / Would You? / Is It True That guys Tell Too Many Lies To Their Girl Friend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.