Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,705 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt (26328 Views)

FG Confirms 10th Ebola Case In Lagos / Treating America's First Ebola Patients / Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by DONMAYOR19(m): 3:39am On Aug 28, 2014
RIVERS State Government Wednesday said it is investigating a possible first Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)-related death, which occurred in a private hospital in Port Harcourt.

The State Commissioner of Health, Sampson Parker, who revealed this yesterday said a health worker from Lagos had been admitted in a private clinic in D/Line area of Port Harcourt, and later died after much vomiting and stooling.

Parker explained that the state government in collaboration with the Emergency Ebola Unit of the Federal Ministry of Health, World Health Organization and EVD experts from the Elizabeth Griffin Research Foundation, from the United States currently in the state, are working on this first suspected case of EVD death.

“We are aware of the death of a health worker who had fever and diarrhoea and I want to let you know that tests and investigation are being carried out. Of course, the result of this will be made known to you promptly and we are working together with experts from the Ministry of Health, Emergency Ebola Unit of the Federal Ministry of Health and you are aware of the Elizabeth Griffin Research Foundation experts that are already with us. I urge you, as a precautionary measure, to refrain from unnecessary body contact,” he said.

He urged hospitals and clinics to stop rejecting patients with fever and diarrhoea, instead; ensure such persons are handled with a high degree of caution and suspicion. He also advised the public to take necessary hygienic precautions for the time being as a preventive measure.

“There have been rumours making the rounds, which have led to panic and patients being rejected in hospitals. Let me make it clear that no patient should be turned back from any hospital but utmost safety precautions and protocols should be observed in any case of high fever and diarrhoea,” he added.

The Commissioner of Health who said the state has not officially confirmed case of EVD, assured residents that the government has taken necessary steps to confront any possible outbreak in the state.
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/national-news/176773-ebola-rivers-records-first-suspected-case
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by DONMAYOR19(m): 3:40am On Aug 28, 2014
A doctor, who secretly treated a diplomat who had contact with the index case, Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer, has died of Ebola in Nigeria.

The doctor, who has yet to be named, died on Friday. His wife has also taken ill and has been quarantined in Port Harcourt. Interestingly, the diplomat the doctor treated is still alive.

The diplomat, who was part of the team who met with Patrick Sawyer in Lagos, flew to Port Harcourt, Rivers State for treatment, evading Nigerian federal government surveillance for the disease. The late doctor then took him to a hotel for treatment.

As a result of this, 70 people have been quarantined. The doctor's hospital, Good Heart Hospital in Rivers State, has been shut down. The unnamed hotel, where the secret treatment took place, has also been shut down.

The Minister of Health and the Rivers State government are expected to make a statement on the incident tomorrow.
http://saharareporters.com/2014/08/27/breaking-nigeria-records-new-ebola-death-port-harcourt

Edit.....

After how many years in nairaland, my topic finally fly go front page, God Almighty will bless the mod that push it to front page, heaven is ur reward grin...make I go church go give thanksgiving fast fast..no work today, come and join me in celebrating ogrin

8 Likes 9 Shares

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Nobody: 4:21am On Aug 28, 2014
cry
modified:
As in nah me be disgrin grin first to comment on frontpage grin
what more do i need to believe that christ is working in my life..

My testimony: It has been long since i last attended tarry night so yesterday my very good friend invited me to The Apostolic church for their all night, well at first i decline but the holy spirit Ask me to follow him, my fellow nairalanders when i got to the church i prayed and bind any type OF spirit that distract my life, brothers and sisters God has answered my prayer and by the Grace of God am the first to comment grin grin

my advice : Believe n trust in the lord and he shall answer all your prayers

6 Likes 9 Shares

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Nobody: 4:36am On Aug 28, 2014
Take mony, treat me and keep quiet! now he is dead, who will spend the mony? some people sha

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Tikitaka(m): 4:39am On Aug 28, 2014
like seriously?
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Pangea: 4:40am On Aug 28, 2014
Are these diplomats mad or just stupid?
That man must be arrested for attempted genocide!
If he survives it,

Make una help us tell Chukwu to bring out the 1.9 billion to set up ebola research centre and arrange the building of isolation centres in every local government area in Nigeria o!

12 Likes 11 Shares

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by mrking3(m): 4:43am On Aug 28, 2014
Nigerian doctors!!! Smh!
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Blaqsmith(m): 4:44am On Aug 28, 2014
From where the news break comot,go fix am back!

1 Like

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Nobody: 4:48am On Aug 28, 2014
If the story is true...obvious the doctor was not immunologically resistant....while the patient was.
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by emmysoftyou: 4:53am On Aug 28, 2014
stain news
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Nobody: 4:55am On Aug 28, 2014
I wl wait for Rivers State Government Statement before commenting. Sometimes I find it hard to believe SR

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by itstpia1: 4:55am On Aug 28, 2014
what about the people who had contact with him in port harcourt.

the medical team, the hotel staff, etc.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by ellechrystal(f): 5:02am On Aug 28, 2014
Na wa. What sort of money will make one shut up like that? Na wa o. Now he is dead. Y would they even bring it to ph. Y didn't he just stay in lag with the other people who were under surveillance ? He ran so he wouldn't die alone or so he won't be stigmatised? I don't know y people do things like this . N d late doctor, has the money given to him saved him?

2 Likes

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by hushmail: 5:11am On Aug 28, 2014
when we just d celebrate d end of ebola 4 9ja

may it not be true o Lord

5 Likes

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Nobody: 5:11am On Aug 28, 2014
Is ur story for real?

2 Likes

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by itstpia1: 5:14am On Aug 28, 2014
hushmail: when we just d celebrate d end of ebola 4 9ja

may it not be true o Lord

dont believe everything you read.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Truckpusher(m): 5:26am On Aug 28, 2014
Quarantine everybody in Port Harcourt. cheesy

Sarimah oya o......it haf reach your domot grin
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by MrDoGood(m): 5:28am On Aug 28, 2014
sahara reporters too dey lie

1 Like

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Nobody: 5:46am On Aug 28, 2014
I thought a minister told us that we have only one case of EVD left? I guess they missed this one...smh.
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Firefire(m): 5:46am On Aug 28, 2014
MrDoGood: sahara reporters too dey lie

Their baptismal name LIE grin

1 Like

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by omenka(m): 5:47am On Aug 28, 2014
Sh*t is still out there yet the government had already hit the streets in celebratory mood beating their chest, and in their usual manner, lying to nigerians that the situation has been contained. Then in the height of the euphoria, an indescribably daft minister decleared that monies meant for the ccontainment of the scourge would now be used to purchase fleets of cars (not even ambulances) and other assortments that would in no way help in curbing the spread of the disease!!

And why hasn't Marilyn Ogar asked why these are happening in opposition states and suggest the rulling party is trying to taint the image of the opposition

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by DesChyko: 5:54am On Aug 28, 2014
Sahara babies.. Wayookwa

1 Like

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:54am On Aug 28, 2014
Firefire:

Their baptismal name LIE grin

Nope, Sahara lieporters!

1 Like

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Sarimah(f): 6:00am On Aug 28, 2014
Truckpusher: Quarantine everybody in Port Harcourt. cheesy

Sarimah oya o......it haf reach your domot grin
its not possible cry cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Truckpusher(m): 6:05am On Aug 28, 2014
Sarimah: its not possible cry cry
What's not possible? grin

At least girls will disappear from casablanca and GRA axis for sometimes grin

Can't just drive around without some mean looking girls trying to flag you down cheesy

2 Likes

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by EnterPRO: 6:08am On Aug 28, 2014
dayum ..... this is serious !
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by PapaBrowne(m): 6:12am On Aug 28, 2014
This story is suspicious. First it is only reported by online media houses, Saharareporters and Premiumtimes and secondly which foolish doctor would treat a patient in a hotel?? Naturally the Hotel authorities would have long reported the case, if the doctor was reluctant to. This story smacks of so much falsehood and it has no concrete sources

Somebody is not happy with the fact that Nigeria has effectively managed the syndrome. The same people who celebrate when bombs go off are the same people promoting this news. These same people are enemies of Nigeria and Sahara Reporters is usually thier tool of choice.
Did you notice how the bombings in the country stopped immediately Ebola came to Nigeria?

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by Rawani: 6:15am On Aug 28, 2014
omenka:
And why hasn't Marilyn Ogar asked why these are happening in opposition states and suggest the rulling party is trying to taint the image of the opposition

1 Like

Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by RichDad1(m): 6:16am On Aug 28, 2014
Not again. sad
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by RichDad1(m): 6:19am On Aug 28, 2014
DONMAYOR19: The late doctor then took him to a hotel for
treatment.
Stupidity, greediness or humanity? Anyways, RIP if you can
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by azuba(m): 6:19am On Aug 28, 2014
[color=#990000][/color] Wat!" but I tot dat min. of health hs said DAT s only more Ebola case left
Re: River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt by gift01: 6:23am On Aug 28, 2014
There's more to this ebola than meets the eye. Whenever our govt announces that Nigeria will soon be ebola free, we get a new 'unconfirmed' case. Pls who are those fanning this evd nonsense?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abandoned Boy With Cerebral Palsy In Lagos (Photos) / Man Jumps Into Lokoja River Over Economic Hardship — Police / How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.