Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

What Exactly Is Water Baptism? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Exactly Is Water Baptism? (1820 Views)

How To Receive HOLY GHOST Baptism / Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? / Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 9:23am On Aug 28, 2014
Our word"baptize" is translated from the original Greek word"baptizo", which means to immerse."Baptizo" does not mean sprinkle or pour. If our Lord had wanted people to be sprinkled, he would have inspired the New Testament writers to use the Greek word"rhantizo". If our Lord wanted people to be poured He would have inspired New Testament writers to use the Greek word"katacheo". But he didn't, so"baptizo" was used, which can only mean to immerse.
Let's look in the Bible to see how people were baptized. In John 3:23 we read,"Now John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim,because there was much water there." Why was John baptizing near Salim?"Because there was much water there." Scriptural baptism, which is immersion, according to the Bible requires much water.
In Mark 1:5 we read,"Then all the land of Judea, and those from Jerusalem, went out to Him, and were all baptized byhim in the Jordan River." Why was John baptizing in the Jordan River? Could it be"because there was much water there" in a river?
In Mark 1:9-10, we continue to read,"And it came to pass in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by Johnin the Jordan. Andimmediately, coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens parting and the Spirit descending upon Him like a dove." When Jesus was baptized, he was baptized in the Jordan River. Why? Again, because there is much water in a river which is required for scriptural baptism, which is immersion. Also notice that after Jesus was baptized, he came"up out of the water." So scriptural baptism not only requires much water, but it also requires"coming up out of the water." This cannot be said of sprinkling or pouring.
Next we turn to Acts 8:36-39. The evangelist, Philip, had been teaching the gospel or good news of Christ to an Ethiopian eunuch while they were riding along in a chariot. Then in verses 36-39 we read:"Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, See here is water, what hinders me from being baptized? And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water,and he baptized him. Andwhen they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more: andhe went on his way rejoicing." Here we see that the baptism that God has authorized in the Bible requires the"coming to some water","going down into the water," and after a person is immersed it requires"coming up out of the water." How much clearer could the Bible be on the mode of baptism? Also notice that after the eunuch was baptized,"he went on his way rejoicing." Why? Because he was now saved and all of his sins had been taken away. This is certainly something to rejoice about.
Romans 6:4 says,"Therefore we wereburied with him by baptism into death." Here we see that baptism is aburial, which is what is done when one is immersed. Sprinkling is not a burial; it is only sprinkling. Neither is pouring a burial. Both are unlawful substitutions made by man which will cause many people to be lost.
Colossians 2:12 says that we are"buried with him in baptism, in which you also wereraised with Him." Here again God requires the one being baptized, to beburied andraised when he is baptized. When we bury a dead person in the cemetery, we do not lay him out on the grass and sprinkle a little dirt on him. No, that would be absurd, and it is just as absurd in trying to substitute sprinkling for baptism. Sprinkling for baptism is foreign to the scriptures. God did not authorize it. There is not one instance anywhere in the Bible where anyone was sprinkled for baptism.
But we then ask the question, where then did sprinkling or pouring come from? The first recorded case in all of early church history was that of Novatian in 251 AD, who lay sick on his bed and water was poured on him. Who made this first exception, man or God? Man did without the authorization of God. God has not approved of it. Sprinkling is just as vain as if it had never been done. This man made exception over the centuries became the man made accepted practice until at the Council of Ravenna in 1311 AD, man legalized sprinkling for baptism, but without God's authority. Since sprinkling is without God's authority, if you were sprinkled or poured, then you have not been scripturally baptized, and you still have every sin that you have ever committed and are still lost.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by mmsen: 9:25am On Aug 28, 2014
Ask R. Kelly...
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by fiverrwin(f): 9:29am On Aug 28, 2014
It means being buried and raised like Christ.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Tallesty1(m): 9:33am On Aug 28, 2014
How about the baptsim of Cornelius??
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 9:47am On Aug 28, 2014
Tallesty1: How about the baptsim of Cornelius??
It was buried nd raised i.e immersion see Eph 4:5 "One Lord, one Faith, one baptism". Since we have one baptism and Christ was baptized by immersion nd Phillip one of d Twelve baptize by immersion and d Bible says they are in one accord.So cornellius is baptized by immersion
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 9:49am On Aug 28, 2014
fiverrwin: It means being buried and raised like Christ.
i.e Immersion ryte?
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Rich4god(m): 9:49am On Aug 28, 2014
SMH... I think this is another version of Ukuts/propehtudeme... cornelius was baptized in his home, I guess there was a river flowing in his house... From your example, you said the first case of sprinkling was from a man who was on his sick bed... If God cant accept a baptism of sprinkling from someone who cant make it to a near by body of water to be immersed, then I wonder how loving he is... Am pretty sure some of the apostles might have baptised in places where there is no body of water so they have to sprinkle... I no knw the kind bible wey una dey read wey una go just wake up one day begin talk rubbish...
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Rich4god(m): 9:51am On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: It was buried nd raised i.e immersion see Eph 4:5 "One Lord, one Faith, one baptism". Since we have one baptism and Christ was baptized by immersion nd Phillip one of d Twelve baptize by immersion and d Bible says they are in one accord.So cornellius is baptized by immersion
Shey na you carry river put for cornelus house...
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 9:56am On Aug 28, 2014
Rich4god: Shey na you carry river put for cornelus house...
Acts 10:48 "And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord." Is it written dey were baptized in cornelius house?
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Rich4god(m): 9:57am On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: Acts 10:48 "And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord." Is it written dey were baptized in cornelius house?
He was baptised in his home... Na you carry river put there for Peter to have baptised them by immersion...
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 10:06am On Aug 28, 2014
Rich4god: He was baptised in his home... Na you carry river put there for Peter to have baptised them by immersion...
And where is the proof He was baptize in his home? FUI stop stalking me.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Rich4god(m): 10:14am On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: And where is the proof He was baptize in his home? FUI stop stalking me.
So where was he baptised...? Lol@ *I should stop stalking you* so you are scared of me exposing your lies... I will only stop when you stop spewing rubbish...
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 10:20am On Aug 28, 2014
Rich4god: So where was he baptised...? Lol@ *I should stop stalking you* so you are scared of me exposing your lies... I will only stop when you stop spewing rubbish...
Only If these were not Word of God which u call "Lies" then may the Lord not reward you but if it were God word you are Judge already.Those who have the Holy Spirit understand my message.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Rich4god(m): 10:23am On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: Only If these were not Word of God which u call "Lies" then may the Lord not reward you but if it were God word you are Judge already.Those who have the Holy Spirit understand my message.
How are you sure its the holy spirit that is in you...? And how can you tell that I dont have the holy spirit...
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 10:26am On Aug 28, 2014
Rich4god: How are you sure its the holy spirit that is in you...? And how can you tell that I dont have the holy spirit...
Out of the abundant of the heart the mouth speaketh.And by their fruit u shall know them nd in ur fruit i see u bring forth "reviling" which is fruit of d evil one. And whoever receive God word is of God by this yee shall distinguish between d Spirit of Truth and error
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Rich4god(m): 10:44am On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: Out of the abundant of the heart the mouth speaketh.And by their fruit u shall know them nd in ur fruit i see u bring forth "reviling" which is fruit of d evil one. And whoever receive God word is of God by this yee shall distinguish between d Spirit of Truth and error
You mean the spirit that makes you to condem all xtians worshipping on sunday...
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 11:20am On Aug 28, 2014
Rich4god: You mean the spirit that makes you to condem all xtians worshipping on sunday...
Brother u have got to stop bearing false witness
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Rich4god(m): 12:41pm On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: Brother u have got to stop bearing false witness
where is the false withness...
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Burmak: 12:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
@ op please know that it is not 'how we are baptized' but 'the reason we are baptized' that matters there are places like in deserts where u hardly find a river,what happens to converts there,no baptism because no river? Pls christianity is not a rigid religion pls.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by IseOluwa777(m): 1:41pm On Aug 28, 2014
Burmak: @ op please know that it is not 'how we are baptized' but 'the reason we are baptized' that matters there are places like in deserts where u hardly find a river,what happens to converts there,no baptism because no river? Pls christianity is not a rigid religion pls.

Not true. The why and the how is important as in all things in life.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2014
IseOluwa777:

Not true. The why and the how is important as in all things in life.
God bless your spirit within you for that Truth.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by IseOluwa777(m): 2:00pm On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: Our word"baptize" is translated from the original Greek word"baptizo", which means to immerse."Baptizo" does not mean sprinkle or pour. If our Lord had wanted people to be sprinkled, he would have inspired the New Testament writers to use the Greek word"rhantizo". If our Lord wanted people to be poured He would have inspired New Testament writers to use the Greek word"katacheo". But he didn't, so"baptizo" was used, which can only mean to immerse.
Let's look in the Bible to see how people were baptized. In John 3:23 we read,"Now John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim,because there was much water there." Why was John baptizing near Salim?"Because there was much water there." Scriptural baptism, which is immersion, according to the Bible requires much water.
In Mark 1:5 we read,"Then all the land of Judea, and those from Jerusalem, went out to Him, and were all baptized byhim in the Jordan River." Why was John baptizing in the Jordan River? Could it be"because there was much water there" in a river?
In Mark 1:9-10, we continue to read,"And it came to pass in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by Johnin the Jordan. Andimmediately, coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens parting and the Spirit descending upon Him like a dove." When Jesus was baptized, he was baptized in the Jordan River. Why? Again, because there is much water in a river which is required for scriptural baptism, which is immersion. Also notice that after Jesus was baptized, he came"up out of the water." So scriptural baptism not only requires much water, but it also requires"coming up out of the water." This cannot be said of sprinkling or pouring.
Next we turn to Acts 8:36-39. The evangelist, Philip, had been teaching the gospel or good news of Christ to an Ethiopian eunuch while they were riding along in a chariot. Then in verses 36-39 we read:"Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, See here is water, what hinders me from being baptized? And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water,and he baptized him. Andwhen they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more: andhe went on his way rejoicing." Here we see that the baptism that God has authorized in the Bible requires the"coming to some water","going down into the water," and after a person is immersed it requires"coming up out of the water." How much clearer could the Bible be on the mode of baptism? Also notice that after the eunuch was baptized,"he went on his way rejoicing." Why? Because he was now saved and all of his sins had been taken away. This is certainly something to rejoice about.
Romans 6:4 says,"Therefore we wereburied with him by baptism into death." Here we see that baptism is aburial, which is what is done when one is immersed. Sprinkling is not a burial; it is only sprinkling. Neither is pouring a burial. Both are unlawful substitutions made by man which will cause many people to be lost.
Colossians 2:12 says that we are"buried with him in baptism, in which you also wereraised with Him." Here again God requires the one being baptized, to beburied andraised when he is baptized. When we bury a dead person in the cemetery, we do not lay him out on the grass and sprinkle a little dirt on him. No, that would be absurd, and it is just as absurd in trying to substitute sprinkling for baptism. Sprinkling for baptism is foreign to the scriptures. God did not authorize it. There is not one instance anywhere in the Bible where anyone was sprinkled for baptism.
But we then ask the question, where then did sprinkling or pouring come from? The first recorded case in all of early church history was that of Novatian in 251 AD, who lay sick on his bed and water was poured on him. Who made this first exception, man or God? Man did without the authorization of God. God has not approved of it. Sprinkling is just as vain as if it had never been done. This man made exception over the centuries became the man made accepted practice until at the Council of Ravenna in 1311 AD, man legalized sprinkling for baptism, but without God's authority. Since sprinkling is without God's authority, if you were sprinkled or poured, then you have not been scripturally baptized, and you still have every sin that you have ever committed and are still lost.

To add to this, it also must be done in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Acts 2:37-38, 19:5-6,10:48,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 3:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
IseOluwa777:

To add to this, it also must be done in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Acts 2:37-38, 19:5-6,10:48,
Yes d Scripture permit dat also in the Name of God the Father,the Son and the Holy Spirit. Bear it in mind they are One.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by IseOluwa777(m): 4:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: Yes d Scripture permit dat also in the Name of God the Father,the Son and the Holy Spirit. Bear it in mind they are One.

They are one as in one Person revealed in three ways or 3 Persons mysteriously joined as One? The former is the only argument that marries the scripture you quoted ( which mind you is not "im the name of God the Father and God the Son and God the Holy Ghost" but rather "in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost"wink Matt 28:19 with my earlier quoted scriptures.

So essentially the scripture denies the famous Trinity doctrine. See Isaiah 9: 6 which calls Jesus the Everlasting Father.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 4:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
IseOluwa777:

They are one as in one Person revealed in three ways or 3 Persons mysteriously joined as One? The former is the only argument that marries the scripture you quoted ( which mind you is not "im the name of God the Father and God the Son and God the Holy Ghost" but rather "in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost"wink Matt 28:19 with my earlier quoted scriptures.

So essentially the scripture denies the famous Trinity doctrine. See Isaiah 9: 6 which calls Jesus the Everlasting Father.
Mind reading and quoting to the whole world 1 John 5:7
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by IseOluwa777(m): 4:44pm On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: Mind reading and quoting to the whole world 1 John 5:7

1Jn 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.1Jn 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Perfect scripture. Note it didnt say 3 persons. I say it referred to 3 manifestations, you say 3 persons. To clear it up, refer to other scriptures for scripture must be upon scripture- it cant contradict itself. One of the other scripturese I quoted earlier:Isaiah 9:6. Another is Rev 1:8 that calls Jesus the Almighty

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

That must be the same Almighty God that spoke to Abraham in Genesis as there can only be one Almighty God.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Olusanya333(m): 7:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
IseOluwa777:

1Jn 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.1Jn 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Perfect scripture. Note it didnt say 3 persons. I say it referred to 3 manifestations, you say 3 persons. To clear it up, refer to other scriptures for scripture must be upon scripture- it cant contradict itself. One of the other scripturese I quoted earlier:Isaiah 9:6. Another is Rev 1:8 that calls Jesus the Almighty

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

That must be the same Almighty God that spoke to Abraham in Genesis as there can only be one Almighty God.
The Father,Son,Holy Spirit are three persons in One. Jesus is a person,Yes or No?Yes and he talks about sm1 he called Father,Yes or No?Yes and again he talks of the Holy Spirit which he said HE is with u and HE shall come into u,now HE represent a person. When Jesus was baptize smthng descend upon him The Holy Spirit.We see Three person here but yet one which means One God in three persons.We are still saying d same thing but u don't understand d word "persons". One God manifested in three persons.As the Father,as the Son and as the Holy Spirit .The Godhead is a profound mystery u can't understand all about it but d one God reveals to u abide in it.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by IseOluwa777(m): 8:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: The Father,Son,Holy Spirit are three persons in One. Jesus is a person,Yes or No?Yes and he talks about sm1 he called Father,Yes or No?Yes and again he talks of the Holy Spirit which he said HE is with u and HE shall come into u,now HE represent a person. When Jesus was baptize smthng descend upon him The Holy Spirit.We see Three person here but yet one which means One God in three persons.We are still saying d same thing but u don't understand d word "persons". One God manifested in three persons.As the Father,as the Son and as the Holy Spirit .The Godhead is a profound mystery u can't understand all about it but d one God reveals to u abide in it.

The problem with this your line of reasoning is that you use it justify the fact that you are not baptised the way early christians were baptised. That fact you cant dispute. There is no record of anyone baptised the way you say. Even Peter who heard the instruction from Jesus Christ baptised in Jesus Name. So except you become apologetic for Peter,he did not do it the way you say. Not only him, Paul also. think on these things. I rest the case.
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Rich4god(m): 9:51pm On Aug 28, 2014
lol... So its no longer the mode of baptism, but the name in which to baptize... SMH 4 christianity..... If una channel this effort wey una dey use dey bash oda pples way of worship to improving on your relationship with God, walahi una 4 dey higher levels by now...
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Aug 28, 2014
Rich4god: SMH... I think this is another version of Ukuts/propehtudeme... cornelius was baptized in his home, I guess there was a river flowing in his house... From your example, you said the first case of sprinkling was from a man who was on his sick bed... If God cant accept a baptism of sprinkling from someone who cant make it to a near by body of water to be immersed, then I wonder how loving he is... Am pretty sure some of the apostles might have baptised in places where there is no body of water so they have to sprinkle... I no knw the kind bible wey una dey read wey una go just wake up one day begin talk rubbish...
john 3 vs 23 - and John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim because there was much water there and they came and were baptised.... So the idea that ure bringing up that the apostles might have sprinkled converst with water is false because the water must be full so that all ur body which is the body of sin will be buried and raised.... And not the vatican way of unbiblically baptising babies by sprinkling like that Michael Smith did baptised to 4 italian chilren in a catholic way
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 28, 2014
IseOluwa777:

The problem with this your line of reasoning is that you use it justify the fact that you are not baptised the way early christians were baptised. That fact you cant dispute. There is no record of anyone baptised the way you say. Even Peter who heard the instruction from Jesus Christ baptised in Jesus Name. So except you become apologetic for Peter,he did not do it the way you say. Not only him, Paul also. think on these things. I rest the case.
mr man ur own no even enter abeg.. Are u not that disciple of sisterme that also hold to the view that God the Father Son and Holy Spirit are only one person... Lol una don come back again abi?
Re: What Exactly Is Water Baptism? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 28, 2014
IseOluwa777:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Message To All People That Sends Religious Messages In Threat (disguise) / A Muslim's Defence Of The Peace In Islam / Religion And Ethnicity: Oba Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.