Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,194 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa (23644 Views)

Ten Amazing Things Many Don’t Know About Africa!!! / 10 Fact About Africa. I Bet No Nairalanders Know These Fact. / Amazing Facts About Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Youngsage: 9:55am On Aug 28, 2014
No, it isn't full of dangerous, wild animals on the loose. It also isn't just a vast expanse of arid land. Africa – our planet's second largest continent, has been battling misconceptions like these since ages.

"I've never really wanted to go to Japan. Simply because I don’t like eating fish. And I know that's very popular out there in
Africa." – Britney Spears

Britney, Britney, Britney, dear Britney!
It is impossible to determine where this thought came from. But considering the
person it came from, it hardly comes as a surprise, since many inhabitants of the
'developed' corners of our world seem
blissfully clueless about a continent that
is second largest in size and population.

Yes, Africa - Home to a billion people. Supposedly the oldest inhabited territory in the world, which also saw the origin of the human species.
Despite all of this, there are several among us who remain ignorant about this vast continent that is brimming with diversity in every aspect. This is just a small attempt to diss the most outrageous misconceptions about Africa.

10 Biggest Myths About Africa

1. Africa Is A Country...

Africa is as much a continent as Asia or
Europe. It is a vast continent , second in
size only to Asia. Africa comprises 55 recognized states(countries), with other territories being de facto independent states with
limited recognition. The multicolored
regions visible within the borders of the map are separate countries.

2... Which Is Full Of Villages

Being an expansive continent with diverse climatic conditions, Africa has dense settlements in some areas, and sparse in others. However, to say that Africans only reside in villages would be a gross lapse of judgment. Pictured above are Cairo, Johannesburg, and Nairobi, all of which are sprawling, busy cities, home to millions of people. They have brick-and-mortar buildings, public transport, and every other conceivable modern amenity. And of course, all of these and more are found in Africa.
U-n-d-e-r-s-t- a-n-d?

3. Africa is a Huge Desert/Rainforest

Another sorry misconception people hold about Africa is about its geography.
Africa is not just the Sahara desert or the rainforests. It certainly isn't searing hot everywhere, neither does it perpetually rain all year round.
Geographically speaking, the African continent has the unique distinction of stretching from the northern temperate
zone to the southern, with the Equator
running through it. The geographic diversity of Africa is simply breathtaking. As an example, we've got you the Victoria Falls, the Blyde River Canyon, Mt. Kilimanjaro, and a view of the Indian Ocean as seen from Cape Town.

4... Where animals roam the streets...

No they don't! A significant part of Africa's wildlife lies safely ensconced in its many game reserves. Now, these parks and reserves could be located a few minutes outside the cities, but this does not mean that citizens have regular encounters with lions and giraffes in their backyard. Yes,
occasional incidents of animals wandering into the city limits are reported – but they are far and few in between. Wild animals are not too pro- urbanization, you see.

5... Which Is Why People carry spears
and shields Everywhere

As ridiculous as it sounds, this misconception seems to have stemmed
from a wide-eyed tourist's overactive
imagination. To think that the Maasai people are a precise representation of all Africans is mirthful, to say the least.
Various ethnic groups inhabit Africa, and
keeping in terms with their lifestyle,
they may carry weapons as a safeguard.
But to extend this assumption to all Africans is definitely a long shot.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by sammoe(m): 9:59am On Aug 28, 2014
Nice thread! When I get back to Africa, I'll type a proper comment.

By then, this should be on front page.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by boolet: 10:04am On Aug 28, 2014
The most common is the misconception that Africa is a country.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Onlinebizexpert(m): 10:14am On Aug 28, 2014
Nice article
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by merieam16(f): 10:18am On Aug 28, 2014
Most annoyin misconception..is africa is a country nd d states er lagos,abeokuta,abuja etc lol

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Youngsage: 10:31am On Aug 28, 2014
Cont...

6. In Africa, you can contract several
diseases...

Traveling to any African nation makes
several people fill with dread. Africa,
like any other continent, has problems that have stemmed from its environment, its people, and its culture.
Certain parts of Africa can do with a lot
of improvement when it comes to public
health services. Having said that, one
can also find state-of-the-art medical
care in several pockets, spread across
the continent. Generalizing Africa to be
a disease-ridden continent is simply
unjustified.

7... Or become someone's meal

It is highly unlikely that you'll be stranded in the Sahara for weeks on end, or that you'll be mauled to death by a herd of wild buffaloes. Unless you're one of those over enthusiastic tourists who try to get too close to a lion to capture Nat Geo-like images,
your chances of being gobbled up by a
wild cat are virtually none. Since ages,
Africans have peacefully coexisted with
animals in a harmonious setting, so it
goes without saying that your safety is vouched for.

8. All Africans are dark skinned...

Ever heard of South Africa being referred to as the 'Rainbow Nation'?
Well, several countries in Africa have been home to European settlements.
The Dutch came to South Africa, the
French came to Côte d'Ivoire, the
Portuguese came to Namibia, and the
list goes on. Besides the Europeans,
African nations also have several people
of Chinese, Indian, and Malaysian origin.
If you're looking for diversity, this is
where you find it.

9. ... Who speak African

African is not a language full of click-
clicks and kluck-klucks. Hell, African
isn't even a language!
And if you're
confusing it with Afrikaans, then open
your eyes to this fact. Afrikaans is one
among the eleven official languages
spoken in South Africa. Across the continent, however, you'll hear around 2,000 different languages and dialects.
Among these are the Afro-Asiatic, the
Nilo-Saharan, the Niger-Congo, the Yoruba,Hausa and Igbo speakers of Nigeria in West Africa, and the
Khoisan language families, besides
French, German, and English being
spoken in several former colonies.

10... And survive on charities

On paper, Africa seems to have it all- abundant natural resources, diamond mines, oil reserves, tourist attractions,
and cultural history. But a closer inspection reveals the appalling state of affairs brought upon by greedy government officials, hand in glove with vested interests from non-African countries. Africa is not the pet project
of UNICEF, or even Angelina Jolie, for
that matter. It is a continent with a few
of its own citizens trying to devour it from within.

Of course, misconceptions about Africa
do not end here,
as long as people like
Britney Spears keep dishing out gems of
ignorance - like the one mentioned at the
beginning.
But as far as you are concerned, yes you, please ensure that you educate yourself about the world in general, before shooting from the hip!

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 28, 2014
The misconception I hate most is Africa is a country...
When watching all this award shows, you see things like 'Davido from Africa'...
I don't get it, is Davido from the whole of Africa
Leave Britney Spears, that 1 no get sense. E get people wey go talk da kind tin and I would take it personal.

It's so bad that, sometimes if you watch all these movies that deal on travel, they will say 'I'm going to Africa', the next thing you will see is one jeep in desert just like that your pic...

Ah, then the misconception that we feed on donations, oh good Jesus. International celebs always wanna donate something to us...

Anyway, that is their business, me don't even know the difference between US/UK...if they are countries or continents. grin

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Pronmix(m): 1:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
Same annoying Misconception I hate @Karchisbarbie thinking Africa is one small uncivilized country somewhere. Imagine chatting with some white skin head on Facebook and he kept making statements like "wow you speak good English" and tell me "do you have a pet lion" and being the sarcastic id10t I am lol I kept feeding his stupidity more even told him my family is into lion rearing, that it is our family business. The id10t would call somebody's name and ask if I know him. I'll be like wtf we learn about you fools in school don't they teach yous about us?.

74 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Donfamous(m): 2:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
I partially agree with d diseases stuffs. Like d great malaria rampant here, sickle cell, Ebola etc.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Blockus: 3:03pm On Aug 28, 2014
lol..
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by ayusco85(m): 3:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
No. 11. Africa is home of wild Lions grin

R.I.P to this hunter cheesy cheesy

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
Apes and monkeys or monkeies grin
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by MsNas(f): 3:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
Most people are so ill informed about Africa. grin if you hear the lies that I've blown for some people regarding Africa ehn, you will swear for me. grin

I've told some ignorant Folks that I have a Lion, a Tiger, a Giraffe and all sorts I keep as pets in my backyard in Africa. The smart ones know I'm kidding after like a minute. But the not so smart will be like " shocked wowww. That's so cool. What do you feed them? " cheesy

One has asked me before that "How did you get here?" I told her I swam across the Atlantic. Duhh! I finally out her put of her ignorance and told her we had airports in Africa too.

I was supposed to put up a presentation about Nigeria one time like that and as I was making my presentation, putting pictures on slides, one of my Akata friends; a boy came over and was like "Where is that? " He was referring to pictures of Lagos, Abuja and other Nigerian cities. I told him "Nigeria" and the amazement on his face was hilarious. I took great pleasure in educating him by telling him we have virtually everything you guys have here. Nigeria is gun. The western media just hasn't been fair enough on us.

I take great pleasure in rubbing it in when lecturing them about what Africa is and is not!

36 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by ednut1(m): 3:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
all i knw is africa is fuked angry

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
Some people are still dumb enough to believe that Africans live in trees. A colleague of mine asked me this a couple of years ago and i was like "Really"? I even told her yes and u need to see the look of awe on her face. And you wonder why they say some Americans are dumb.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by wellmax(m): 3:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
The new one is ebola. Some think all of Africa is already infected with EVD
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by OgologoDimkpa: 3:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
boolet: The most common is the misconception that Africa is a country.
smiley
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by OgologoDimkpa: 3:07pm On Aug 28, 2014
wellmax: The new one is ebola
West Africa region is currently being referred to as Ebola region.
How sad.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
You knw if Nigeria developed like those countries who are ignorant, we to we will be ignorant about it too. If you are rich what concerns you with other stuff cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
11... We still tie leaves round our waist WTF!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Sixix: 3:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
Actually, our cities are still villages and animals roam on the streets save for the busy highways
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Bryan12(m): 3:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
No matter how hard we try to justify ourselves we're who we are.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Isiterere(m): 3:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
Thanks op , I don't think all this misconception is our fault. It's negligence on their own part.
Imagine them referring to Africa as country.
They belief what they want to belief.

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by akom0908(m): 3:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
Good,but Africa can be extremely dangerous if you think africa is like other continents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Trip To Kentucky Bourbon Trail | Louisville, KY / Lead City University Final Year Student Dies In Car Accident In Ibadan (Photos) / Car Bursts Into Flames On The Rumuola Flyover, Port Harcourt (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.