Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,461 members, 7,819,680 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa (23660 Views)

Ten Amazing Things Many Don’t Know About Africa!!! / 10 Fact About Africa. I Bet No Nairalanders Know These Fact. / Amazing Facts About Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2014
Lovexme:

Ever heard of the word 'sarcasm'?

What was sarcastic about it?
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 28, 2014
____
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by MsNas(f): 4:51pm On Aug 28, 2014
Horayce:
You are the one over there who is trying to get a world class education you can't get back home and ur there misinforming the poor folks that we have everything they have. O well, if that makes u feel good about anything, by all means do as u please but don't get on ur high horse calling people out for what ur obviously worse at.
You sound pained. What exactly is your problem with me? That I'm getting your so called world class education or I'm telling people what Africa is really like? You have serious issues dude and I'm not the one to solve it.

PS: there is no law that states I have to get educated in Nigeria or anywhere else. So I can get educated wherever I wish to. That's a personal decision and not a national one. I wonder how it became a subject in this debate.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Lovexme(m): 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
carefreewannabe:

What was sarcastic about it?

Read your previous comment directed to me. If you still don't understand...
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
Lovexme:

Read your previous comment directed to me. If you still don't understand...

I did.

If you intended to be sarcastic, then your sarcasm was very well hidden.

Anyway.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by MsNas(f): 4:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25: but if they show skyscrapers in africa, you would still complain that they are not showing your culture. you guys are just simply annoying and whine too much . Africa is full of animals like giraffe and elephants and lions . deserts and forest . that's the symbol of africa just as redwood trees ,desert, beaches and tall palm trees are a symbol of california. the vast majority of sub saharan africa is underdeveloped third world except places highly influenced by american and european.
you also have misconceptions about other places like Russia . everywhere has misconception. stop whining . you think Russia is cold ,but thats wrong.
First off, I will suggest you learn how to comprehend. Yeah, I educated them that Africa isn't all about Safaris and Masai Warriors cos personally I never seen one all through the time I was in Nigeria.

And if you feel I'm misinforming them, then I suggest you take a trip to America and ask the average American what they think about Africa. 70% of them think we are a step away from the wildlife NatGeo show them on TV.

Sadly, I don't have time to debate whatever notion you seem to be opined about, I will portray my Africa whatever way I want it to be, and if you're not pleased about the way I do it, I will encourage you to also portray it the way you want. After all, we all are sons and daughters of Mama Africa so you can also do the job on making people see whatever you want them to see!

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by RebelLeader15(m): 4:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
When you read Joseph Conrad's heart of darkness or Joyce Carey Mister Johnson....you will see how bad those European fools portrays Africa
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Lovexme(m): 4:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I did.

If you intended to be sarcastic, then your sarcasm was very well hidden.

Anyway.

Ok, Ma. Subsequent attempts at sarcasm would be very much clear. tongue

Uefa Champions League Draw Now On!!!!! #LFC

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by MsNas(f): 4:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
Lucasbalo: Hey sister, keep telling those Arkansans the truth because some of them are a little shallow.
Shallow is an understatement. Most of them haven't even been past Fayetteville not to talk of Arkansas yet they think the world revolves around them.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
___

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by deeobserver209(m): 5:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
One perception I find so hilarious is that virtually all Africans live in huts grin

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by okotv(m): 5:03pm On Aug 28, 2014
carefreewannabe: These misconceptions are very true. undecided

It goes both ways, though.

i cant believe you wrote that...
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by MsNas(f): 5:03pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25: so nigerians have no misconceptions ? do most Nigerians even know about anywhere in the US except New York?
You seem not to get what I'm saying right? Yeah some Nigerians don't know anywhere except NYC. Same as Americans. What is the basis for comparison, I was talking about Americans not Nigerians. If a topic comes up about Nigerian Ignorance, I will gladly talk about it.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by expozey(f): 5:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
Kachisbarbie: The misconception I hate most is Africa is a country...
When watching all this award shows, you see things like 'Davido from Africa'...
I don't get it, is Davido from the whole of Africa
Leave Britney Spears, that 1 no get sense. E get people wey go talk da kind tin and I would take it personal.

It's so bad that, sometimes if you watch all these movies that deal on travel, they will say 'I'm going to Africa', the next thing you will see is one jeep in desert just like that your pic...

Ah, then the misconception that we feed on donations, oh good Jesus. International celebs always wanna donate something to us...

Anyway, that is their business, me don't even know the difference between US/UK...if they are countries or continents. grin
Leave Britney Spears, that 1 no get sense. E get people wey go talk da kind tin and I would take it personal.

It's so bad that, sometimes if you watch all these movies that deal on travel, they will say 'I'm going to Africa', the next thing you will see is one jeep in desert just like that your pic...

Ah, then the misconception that we feed on donations, oh good Jesus. International celebs always wanna donate something to us...

Anyway, that is their business, me don't even know the difference between US/UK...if they are countries or continents. grin

lol @ leave britney that one no get sense
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
okotv: i cant believe you wrote that...

I think I have been misunderstood. It's my fault, sorry.

I didn't mean to say that these misconceptions are true of Africa.

I wanted to say that many people abroad really think about Africa this way.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 28, 2014
____
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
History will always favour those who document it. The racist scholarship that Africa is a vast continent of impenetrable forests, unconquered warlike dwellers, sudden death and imperceptible darkness advanced by the colonists and their agents such as Conrad in Heart of Darkness, can only be debunked when we wield the pen and rewrite our history, when we appropriate the TV screens to retell our story. But with Chimamanda Adichie calling Africa backward because we refused homosexuals recognition and nollywood basing their content on voodoo and ritual, we need not blame the West when they call westerners who die in Africa Martyrs.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by expozey(f): 5:14pm On Aug 28, 2014

lol @ leave britney that one no get sense
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by okotv(m): 5:16pm On Aug 28, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I think I have been misunderstood. It's my fault, sorry.

I didn't mean to say that these misconceptions are true of Africa.

I wanted to say that many people abroad really think about Africa this way.
now that is intellectual...by the way how would an educated person believe Africa is a country...
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
okotv: now that is intellectual...by the way how would an educated person believe Africa is a country...

I never said an educated person believes Africa was a country.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by InvertedHammer: 5:23pm On Aug 28, 2014
/
We all have our misconceptions.

It is human nature.

Just the same way that people in Nigeria think that life in USA is all rosy and getting US$ is just like a walk in the park.

Heck. I used to think that every Asian is an expert in karate.

\

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by okotv(m): 5:26pm On Aug 28, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I never said an educated person believes Africa was a country.
alright

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by F117A: 5:35pm On Aug 28, 2014
InvertedHammer: /
We all have our misconceptions.

It is human nature.

Just the same way that people in Nigeria think that life in USA is all rosy and getting US$ is just like a walk in the park.

Heck. I used to think that every Asian is an expert in karate.

\
Some people in Nigeria still believe that life in the US is all rosy.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
EbolaParasite:

Excuse you but Nigerians are already ignorant. There really is no difference between us and the developed world when it comes to "ignorance" jare. How many Nigerians that live in LAGOS KNOW anything about any other STATE in NIGERIA besides the obvious online rants?
The answer to that question will tell you why this topic is unnecessary and why we should give them a slack if they know nothing about africa.
*****u spoke my mind a little i was shoked a day 1 of my 2go ask me of my state and i told her she said she didn't know i was like WTF dem no teach u d most popular song 36state and capital 4 primary school??
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 28, 2014
____

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by F117A: 5:42pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25: Life is rosy in the United states and other first orld nations .
I hope you know you are talking to someone who schooled in the US.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
chukwuma101: History will always favour those who document it. The racist scholarship that Africa is a vast continent of impenetrable forests, unconquered warlike dwellers, sudden death and imperceptible darkness advanced by the colonists and their agents such as Conrad in Heart of Darkness, can only be debunked when we wield the pen and rewrite our history, when we appropriate the TV screens to retell our story. But with Chimamanda Adichie calling Africa backward because we refused homosexuals recognition and nollywood basing their content on voodoo and ritual, we need not blame the West when they call westerners who die in Africa Martyrs.
I can see there are very few neurons still alive in your brain. You need help,dude! The truth hurts. She said the truth and if you can't live with that you better stop reading her write-ups. Nigeria is a backward country. That is a fact!

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Lucasbalo(m): 6:16pm On Aug 28, 2014
MsNas:
Shallow is an understatement. Most of them haven't even been past Fayetteville not to talk of Arkansas yet they think the world revolves around them.
Gbam. The same here in Chitown . Remember the first time I went with five of my colleagues here to South Africa and we got to the airport in Johannesburg , you can't believe how surprised this white guys were. Asking me if this is Africa . We stayed 10 days working in Pretoria and Johannesburg and this guys got back to Chicago and passed words around that Africa is different from their perceptions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Aftermath Of The Fire Incident Along East-west Road Eleme (video) / My Trip To Kentucky Bourbon Trail | Louisville, KY / Ileri Babalobi GWR: I Am Visiting 54 African Countries Without Using A Plane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.