Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa (23658 Views)

Ten Amazing Things Many Don’t Know About Africa!!! / 10 Fact About Africa. I Bet No Nairalanders Know These Fact. / Amazing Facts About Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by makazona(m): 9:32pm On Aug 28, 2014
MsNas: Most people are so ill informed about Africa. grin if you hear the lies that I've blown for some people regarding Africa ehn, you will swear for me. grin

I've told some ignorant Folks that I have a Lion, a Tiger, a Giraffe and all sorts I keep as pets in my backyard in Africa. The smart ones know I'm kidding after like a minute. But the not so smart will be like " shocked wowww. That's so cool. What do you feed them? " cheesy

One has asked me before that "How did you get here?" I told her I swan across the Atlantic. Duhh! I finally out her out of her ignorance and told her we had airports in Africa too.

I was supposed to put up a presentation about Nigeria one time like that and as I was making my presentation, putting pictures on slides, one of my Akata friends; a boy came over and was like "Where is that? " He was referring to pictures of Lagos, Abuja and other Nigerian cities. I told him "Nigeria" and the amazement on his face was hilarious. I took great pleasure in educating him by telling him we have virtually everything you guys have here. Nigeria is gun. The western media just hasn't been fair enough on us.

I take great pleasure in rubbing it in when lecturing them about what Africa is and is not!

wow.are u a lecturer/teacher op u dnt mind am asking
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 28, 2014
____

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25:
people who bought the slaves didn't go into Africa to get them, the major kingdoms profited by capturing people from small tribes and selling them off to the highest bidder.Wealthy Africans sold slaves to the Dutch. It is a well known fact.
One village might raid another village and capture people
whom they would take to the coast to be sold as slaves
to the slavers who bought & transported them...
Arabs frequently conducted slaving raids into black
africa and sold captives as slaves..
Slavery is still alive & active in Africa..
Which of those villages were raided? Point to the villages which did that and sold their people to white slave masters. The fact that you are insinuating that Africans sold Africans to slave traders then you must ascertain those who did and to who and the villages which were affected and profited from it, as it is a known fact. Are you saying tenth to the hundredth million people were sold by their black raiders? Jeez! Why would whites pay dearly for the people they can subject to submission with their guns? That would probably be running in hundred of millions dollars and that can buy many states in the USA as at then. The Dutch lied!

You mentioned Arabs. They were more or less not Africans. They raided villages just like the white slave masters. I have watched the movie 'root' and I have read stories of AA who witnessed raiding by white people not blacks. The only thing I would accept from you is that the white possibly lure some blacks into helping with capturing other blacks along side with them.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25:
people who bought the slaves didn't go into Africa to get them, the major kingdoms profited by capturing people from small tribes and selling them off to the highest bidder.Wealthy Africans sold slaves to the Dutch. It is a well known fact.
One village would raid another village and capture people whom they would take to the coast to be sold as slaves to the slavers who bought & transported them...
Arabs frequently conducted slaving raids into black africa and sold captives as slaves.. Slavery is still alive & active in Africa..

Julius Berger is a white german Company ,It doesn't matter how many Nigerians have shares in the company or if it's Nigerian PLC . the brains behind the project's quality and efficiency are all white. the revenue ultimately goes back to the German economy. Nigerian slave labor is employed to help in some aspects of the constructions projects .

Nigeria did not discover the oil in Nigeria , and that's for sure . the question is : what has been done with the billions or even trillions of dollars worth of oil money ?
why aren't there laws against child slavery, child hawkers and jungle justice ?
Don't expect Nigerians to innovate and develop very soon because I am not seeing that happening yet. The people lackadaisical approach to development and organizing themselves is very bad. The worst thing is that nobody accepts their error and want to make change due to their arrogant nature.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
_____

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25: yes I am a self hating negro,uncle tom , racist ,sell out .etc.
Don't think they would listen to you and do something about the problems. All they want to hear is that white people are the causes of their problems while running down to white man's developed nations. What an irony! Bwahaha...

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
____

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
ayusco85: No. 11. Africa is home of wild Lions grin

R.I.P to this hunter cheesy cheesy

Dont be surprised.. the lion might get startled and beat a retreat. Lions get startled too.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 10:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
all4naija:
Which of those villages were raided? Point to the villages which did that and sold their people to white slave masters. The fact that you are insinuating that Africans sold Africans to slave traders then you must ascertain those who did and to who and the villages which were affected and profited from it, as it is a known fact. Are you saying tenth to the hundredth million people were sold by their black raiders? Jeez! Why would whites pay dearly for the people they can subject to submission with their guns? That would probably be running in hundred of millions dollars and that can buy many states in the USA as at then. The Dutch lied!

You mentioned Arabs. They were more or less not Africans. They raided villages just like the white slave masters. I have watched the movie 'root' and I have read stories of AA who witnessed raiding by white people not blacks. The only thing I would accept from you is that the white possibly lure some blacks into helping with capturing other blacks along side with them.
t
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 10:50pm On Aug 28, 2014
victorels:

I read the history of my state and its true Their was a war or raid on villages and those captured were sold as slaves or even used to prepare delicacies. It was a long time ago though. The story is still fresh in some states.
Please, provide names and time. Indeed, irrefutable sources would be very useful in this argument to me. PTUI! To the human delicacies part of your post. I feel like puking. Jeez!

Thank you.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
all4naija:
Please, provide names and time. Indeed, irrefutable sources would be very useful in this argument to me. PTUI! To the human delicacies part of you post. I feel like puking. Jeez!

Thank you.

If I mention it to you, You will be afraid of the people when you see any of them. I have a very close friend from one of the area who confided in me. She told me her grand father was given a title because of the number of black head he added to His. If you don't beleive this, that means you have not heard of Idi Amin. Just Like I said, It was a long time ago.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by ayusco85(m): 11:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
dabriggs:

Dont be surprised.. the lion might get startled and beat a retreat. Lions get startled too.

not when its hungry and thinking of where its next meal will come from cheesy cheesy. talk about answered prayer. #MannerFromHeaven
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
victorels:

If I mention it to you, You will be afraid of the people when you see any of them. I have a very close friend from one of the area who confided in me. She told me her grand father was given a title because of the number of black head he added to His. Understand pls.
You are speaking of warriors in African tradition and history. Like the ones in Okwokwo's Things Fall Apart story. Oh, please. Stop making things up.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
all4naija:
You are speaking of warriors in African tradition and history. Like the ones in Okwokwo's Things Fall Apart story. Oh, please. Stop making things up.

Remember I said I read the history of my state. I wrote an assignment on the history of my community. If Things Fall apart was a made up story, it means we are more creative than we Imagin. How about Ritual Killings. I know it is not a general thing and that is why you may not know. The misconception is that the foreigners hears of an event about a minority in africa and then present it as a general case of the situation of africa. It always result to bias in judgement.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
____
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Lordlexyy: 11:34pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25: you have nothing to say ,you just want to say something . did I ever say you should not be proud of africa? did I ever ask you to care about what I think? I won't grant you an interview or autograph . I don't get along with people who blame others for their problems .
Who are you and who give a hoe about what you think. By the way, who is talking about blaming someone else of our woes? We have our challenges, God willing, we will overcome. I don't need a lost son to remind of all of that. Like i said, if aint proud of who you are and ready to assist, then piss off.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
_____

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by jelikay: 12:34am On Aug 29, 2014
i will appreciate if the thread can make a front page in any USA magazine and dailys, i will also appreciate if the write up and pictures can get to CNN.
i live in US and i see the bad perceptions of some Americans abt Africa.

Pls MOD get this to CNN.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 1:06am On Aug 29, 2014
BadBoy25: the vast majority of sub saharan africa is underdeveloped third world except places highly influenced by american and european.

You're an ignorant fool. Kindly shut your trap and stop polluting the air with your rancid ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by zeezahbee(f): 1:14am On Aug 29, 2014
it was when i got to the united states, HOUSTON TEXAS precisely that i found out that some part of nigeria are better. if anyone is familiar with beechnut and bissonet in houston, the road are so bad chaiii sad and sometimes i look around and be like is this the america. I sent some pictures of some places in nigeria to my professor and she was like WOW, she said she believed we are hunger stricken and that maybe some of the international students here in usa are daughters and sons of ''thief thief'' politician. she was like nigeria is a drama country, today its looking for the girls, tommorow its ebola etc. NAIJA I HAIL ooo, but anyways EAST OR WEST, HOME IS THE BEST grin. one love

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by zeezahbee(f): 1:18am On Aug 29, 2014
jelikay: i will appreciate if the thread can make a front page in any USA magazine and dailys, i will also appreciate if the write up and pictures can get to CNN.
i live in US and i see the bad perceptions of some Americans abt Africa.

Pls MOD get this to CNN.
CNN are so not fair at all, odd african pictures. something needs to be done asap. one of my classmate here was like am i comfortable wearing the clothes and shoes, i said why not. she said but you guys dont put on anything in africa. you guys are always leafy leafy shocked sad. i kept showing them pictures of me in nigeria, where i stay and things i do. she even said do i sleep on a bed at all. am like WTH
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 1:30am On Aug 29, 2014
zeezahbee: CNN are so not fair at all, odd african pictures. something needs to be done asap. one of my classmate here was like am i comfortable wearing the clothes and shoes, i said why not. she said but you guys dont put on anything in africa. you guys are always leafy leafy shocked sad. i kept showing them pictures of me in nigeria, where i stay and things i do. she even said do i sleep on a bed at all. am like WTH
Please! Are you going to use isolated case to define everybody? Those are the ignorant ones and they are found everywhere around the world. The fact that they ask questions demanding you to provide answers accordingly when you are from Nigeria to better help them with their perception makes it very understandable. You have done well and it is nothing to be angry about as some arrogant Nigerians back home would do.

I hope you are enjoying your stay in USA. Pretty faces, good homes, big rides, friendly people, cinema and many more. Come-on, you know very well that Nigeria is a living hell. Don't hide it. That is one of the reasons why we need good changes in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by manck: 1:51am On Aug 29, 2014
[size=18pt]

That Nigeria is one country.

Look at the list of former nigeria leader.. they had no university education , so basically nigeria was like animal farm.

Tafawa Balewa ( No university degree)
Major-General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi ( No university degree)
General Yakubu Gowon ( No university degree)
General Murtala Mohammed ( No university degree)
Major-General Olusegun Obasanjo ( No university degree)
Shehu Shagari ( No university degree)
Major-General Muhammadu Buhari ( No university degree)
General Ibrahim Babangida ( No university degree)
General Sani Abacha ( No university degree)
General Abdulsalami Abubakar ( No university degree)
[/size]
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 2:06am On Aug 29, 2014
____

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 2:35am On Aug 29, 2014
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by fightforchange1(f): 5:06am On Aug 29, 2014
cool beans
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Lucasbalo(m): 6:31am On Aug 29, 2014
HandOfChukwu: Julius Berger is majority Nigerian owned and has been for a while now, another thing I want to say is stop acting like some big tough guy on the internet because you know for a fact you wouldn't be talking all that tough sh1t in the real world.
Gbam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Aftermath Of The Fire Incident Along East-west Road Eleme (video) / My Trip To Kentucky Bourbon Trail | Louisville, KY / Ileri Babalobi GWR: I Am Visiting 54 African Countries Without Using A Plane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.