Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,861 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa (23664 Views)

Ten Amazing Things Many Don’t Know About Africa!!! / 10 Fact About Africa. I Bet No Nairalanders Know These Fact. / Amazing Facts About Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by iceberylin(m): 3:45pm On Aug 28, 2014
Who has this Stupid mentality

oh dear Africa...
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Celepope: 3:48pm On Aug 28, 2014
EbolaParasite:

Excuse you but Nigerians are already ignorant. There really is no difference between us and the developed world when it comes to "ignorance" jare. How many Nigerians that live in LAGOS KNOW anything about any other STATE in NIGERIA besides the obvious online rants?
The answer to that question will tell you why this topic is unnecessary and why we should give them a slack if they know nothing about africa.
You are very correct.My close pal Wale,a Lagos boy who has been in the US for over four years still think if you are not Yoruba or Hausa then you are an igbo person.I have tried correcting him countless times that Nigeria has a lot of languages but he keeps on insisting that he doesn't care.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by ignis: 3:49pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nice write up....
Let's correct the misconceptions about Africa.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by NobleAky(m): 3:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
PasD: Pls who is Africa? Is he a musician?
NO! It's a wonderful continent full of wonderful people. Really God blessed Africa!
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Joel3(m): 4:02pm On Aug 28, 2014
umm. I was in a train station when a guy walk to me and the next thing he said was. In africa there is no train like this everywhere is bush. And I said not at all he said and you guys live and communicate with animals.? Yes we live and talk with animals.

I also told another lady I am going to nigeria the next thing she said wow I am scared for you I hope the animals don't eat you up.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2014
EbolaParasite:

Excuse you but Nigerians are already ignorant. There really is no difference between us and the developed world when it comes to "ignorance" jare. How many Nigerians that live in LAGOS KNOW anything about any other STATE in NIGERIA besides the obvious online rants?
The answer to that question will tell you why this topic is unnecessary and why we should give them a slack if they know nothing about africa.

But if you look at the rate at which Nigerians travel compared to the USA, that's is if you statistically even the population Nigeria rate is higher. For example in the USA you don't even need to travel out of the country to have fun u have everything you need in the country..lol
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by firestar(f): 4:05pm On Aug 28, 2014
MsNas: Most people are so ill informed about Africa. grin if you hear the lies that I've blown for some people regarding Africa ehn, you will swear for me. grin

I've told some ignorant Folks that I have a Lion, a Tiger, a Giraffe and all sorts I keep as pets in my backyard in Africa. The smart ones know I'm kidding after like a minute. But the not so smart will be like " shocked wowww. That's so cool. What do you feed them? " cheesy

One has asked me before that "How did you get here?" I told her I swan across the Atlantic. Duhh! I finally out her out of her ignorance and told her we had airports in Africa too.

I was supposed to put up a presentation about Nigeria one time like that and as I was making my presentation, putting pictures on slides, one of my Akata friends; a boy came over and was like "Where is that? " He was referring to pictures of Lagos, Abuja and other Nigerian cities. I told him "Nigeria" and the amazement on his face was hilarious. I took great pleasure in educating him by telling him we have virtually everything you guys have here. Nigeria is gun. The western media just hasn't been fair enough on us.

I take great pleasure in rubbing it in when lecturing them about what Africa is and is not!

grin
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Lucasbalo(m): 4:13pm On Aug 28, 2014
MsNas: Most people are so ill informed about Africa. grin if you hear the lies that I've blown for some people regarding Africa ehn, you will swear for me. grin

I've told some ignorant Folks that I have a Lion, a Tiger, a Giraffe and all sorts I keep as pets in my backyard in Africa. The smart ones know I'm kidding after like a minute. But the not so smart will be like " shocked wowww. That's so cool. What do you feed them? " cheesy

One has asked me before that "How did you get here?" I told her I swan across the Atlantic. Duhh! I finally out her out of her ignorance and told her we had airports in Africa too.

I was supposed to put up a presentation about Nigeria one time like that and as I was making my presentation, putting pictures on slides, one of my Akata friends; a boy came over and was like "Where is that? " He was referring to pictures of Lagos, Abuja and other Nigerian cities. I told him "Nigeria" and the amazement on his face was hilarious. I took great pleasure in educating him by telling him we have virtually everything you guys have here. Nigeria is gun. The western media just hasn't been fair enough on us.

I take great pleasure in rubbing it in when lecturing them about what Africa is and is not!
Hey sister, keep telling those Arkansans the truth because some of them are a little shallow.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by slap1(m): 4:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
Even some so called journalists are guilty of this. I always shake my head whenever I read -- mostly on Goal.com -- something like "...the African player scored a few goals for his club..." But then, Goal's notoriety for absurd journalism is becoming something we all have to live with.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Lucasbalo(m): 4:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
youngvizzy1: Africa is blessed, but the corrupt practices of our leaders are giving us bad reputation among other nations of the work, africa is beautiful, africa is great, we just have to stand for what is right and see the changes we'll make. The destiny of this continent lies in our hand, so let's make a great change today, do something Good and watch as we strive like other nations of the world smiley
Gbam and Gbam .
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Lovexme(m): 4:21pm On Aug 28, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Is European or Asian history taught in Nigeria's schools?

Ever heard of the word 'sarcasm'?
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 28, 2014
____
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 28, 2014
____

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by cole265(m): 4:34pm On Aug 28, 2014
jossi994: White peeps think that Africa is one big country with mud huts everywhere. Whose women expose their breastices and whose men hunt elephants with spears..

Another misconception:they think we are dumb brutes who have no sense.. But person wey sabi us go know say... Our own matter don pass tortoise own
Pls let's be factual. You really can't blame them for the misconceptions overtly . When your Nollywood would mostly use locations with mod and thatched roof houses in their films. When our head of states, presidents and politicians will make foolish decisions all the time by of greed and will usually want to stay put in government even when the citizens are clamouring for them to quit due to obvious miss rules and bad leadership. Worst of all Africans seeking asylum abroad claiming all sorts of disgusting reasons such as inter tribal war, religious clashes, genital mutilation, genocide etc. We Africans are guilty of misleading them.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Haywhymido(m): 4:36pm On Aug 28, 2014
boolet: The most common is the misconception that Africa is a country.
i laugh like mad whenever i hear dat 4rm dos white folks

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Glock9(m): 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
No wonder Rick Ross tweeted that he is coming to the country of Africa.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 28, 2014

You are the one over there who is trying to get a world class education you can't get back home and ur there misinforming the poor folks that we have everything they have. O well, if that makes u feel good about anything, by all means do as u please but don't get on ur high horse calling people out for what ur obviously worse at.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 28, 2014
I think there is no misconception about disease, dirty environment and poverty in African. They are rife in almost every nation within the continent.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 28, 2014
_____
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25: Nigeria has been heavily westernized . most african nations still practice their african cultures . get off your high horse just because you have been influenced by american /european ,you now think you are all that . your grandparent walked around unclad with leaves .
Those aren't Africans in the image. You i d i o t! Pervert! angry lipsrsealed
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
Number 1, Africa is a country ke? shocked shocked shocked I just dey look o. grin grin I dey go sue my geography teacher. cheesy
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by cole265(m): 4:44pm On Aug 28, 2014
Joel3: umm. I was in a train station when a guy walk to me and the next thing he said was. In africa there is no train like this everywhere is bush. And I said not at all he said and you guys live and communicate with animals.? Yes we live and talk with animals.

I also told another lady I am going to nigeria the next thing she said wow I am scared for you I hope the animals don't eat you up.
Sincere for for you. Animals that gobbled up Bola ige, Kudirat Abiola, Funso Williams, the list is endless.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Chibokgame: 4:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
The same way they put it on the Map and make people to believe that Lagos is all & just part of Atlantic ocean .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lead City University Final Year Student Dies In Car Accident In Ibadan (Photos) / Car Bursts Into Flames On The Rumuola Flyover, Port Harcourt (photos) / My Trip To Kentucky Bourbon Trail | Louisville, KY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.