Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,859 members, 7,821,001 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. (27760 Views)

Attention: Ward 022, Ejigbo Lagos Is Being Rigged / Boko Haram Successfully Takes Over The 2nd Largest City In Borno / Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 9:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
Not all ibadan can be classified as a city. Just few areas. And by landmass it was obviously political to meet investors and that aim was ridiculed.

It can't be the largest right now in terms of landmass, a whole lot of rural settlements there in. Unless u telling me chibok is a city. In develoment its as good as zero.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 9:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
ibedun:

Understandably the concept of city is very new to our Eastern brothers.

Ibadan was named the second largest city in Africa for sometime behind Cairo.

Cairo is an old city like Ibadan. Just like Timbuktu and Kano in the century before last.

My dear you are wrong. Not all ibadan can be classified as a city. Will u call the mud houses, shams and other rural areas in ibadan a city?
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by abes(m): 9:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti:

My dear you are wrong. Not all ibadan can be classified as a city. Will u call the mud houses, shams and other rural areas in ibadan a city?

Common, stop it now, haba... what do you mean by that in bold? Ibadan is a single massive city.

7 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 9:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
abes:

Common, stop it now, haba... what do you mean by that in bold? Ibadan is a single massive city.

Its the truth bro, let's call a spade a spade and not a farming tool.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by sseunth(m): 10:08pm On Aug 28, 2014
berem: I will be in Ibadan for a wedding on sunday so I have to see things for myself. I hope I will have the time to go round the city.
dont decieve yasef...u cnt go round ib in 2weeks

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by sseunth(m): 10:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti: So, I went to ibadan to see its holds, all they got is 2 tertiary institution, a mini-zoo, a mini-museum, hotels, banks and one old cocoa house. I doubt if its a city or town. Right now, some cities like owerri, port harcourt et al are all ahead of ibadan. I strongly think Lagos is the largest city. I stand to be corrected though. But if its deduced by landmass, kano and kaduna should take the slot. Table your arguments.
abeg name the areas u visited oooo.....

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by meforyou1(m): 10:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
Lagos city is so far different from lagos state. Ikeja, epe, badagry, ajah, badore, and all the rest are not part of lagos city. Lagos city are just the islands - lagos, apapa, ikoyi and VI, and d mainland like yaba, surulere, oyingbo and igbobi. Lagos is now called a mega city because towns like lekki, ikeja and ojota and the rest are now forming part of it.
I really get angry when these yoruba so called lagosians don't know lagos boundary
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 10:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
Ibadan is just a glorified slum.

5 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by meforyou1(m): 10:21pm On Aug 28, 2014
Op, it is not number of tertiary institutions in a place that makes it a city or not. Ibadan is a city. I remember those days while going from Minna to lagos, it's only in ibadan that you will be passing, and then sleep and wake, and you are still in ibadan, and you still sleep and wake again, and you are still in ibadan. Ibadan is a big city in all definition.
What then will you say of abuja that doesn't have any single tertiary institution (uni abuja is in gwagwalada a rural town 45 minutes from abuja city)?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Aug 28, 2014
Any reason why the OP would care about Ibadan so much?

I don't a give a sh*t about it as the city is not in my even radar so why should you, OP (assuming you are Igbo like me)?

Na wa o.

Breathing space y'all! Breathing space!
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by sseunth(m): 10:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nobleval: Ibadan is just a glorified slum.
where r u from??

5 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by emmatok(m): 10:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti: So, I went to ibadan to see its holds, all they got is 2 tertiary institution, a mini-zoo, a mini-museum, hotels, banks and one old cocoa house. I doubt if its a city or town. Right now, some cities like owerri, port harcourt et al are all ahead of ibadan. I strongly think Lagos is the largest city. I stand to be corrected though. But if its deduced by landmass, kano and kaduna should take the slot. Table your arguments.

Ibadan is a city in Oyo state, but the whole of lagos is not a city.
The Lagos city are some parts of lagos mainland and lagos island.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 10:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
meforyou1: Op, it is not number of tertiary institutions in a place that makes it a city or not. Ibadan is a city. I remember those days while going from Minna to lagos, it's only in ibadan that you will be passing, and then sleep and wake, and you are still in ibadan, and you still sleep and wake again, and you are still in ibadan. Ibadan is a big city in all definition.
What then will you say if abuja that doesn't have any single tertiary institution (uni abuja is in gwagwalada a rural town 45 minutes from abuja city)?

You don't know how to sleep. And please understand me, ibadan generally is big no doubt, but the little developed areas in ibadan aint upto 2km. There's really nothing in ibadan at all. And am so serious about it. The land at ibadan is just a waste. How can u call ibadan a city where a flat of 2bedroom goes for 50k a year?

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 10:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
emmatok:

I said Lagos and not Lagos state. And please be corrected, ibadan is a place in oyo state. Lagos island is a city. Thank me later
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by ChrisOD: 10:40pm On Aug 28, 2014
abes: You can never cover the whole of Ibadan on a visit. Except you are a taxi driver, you can never cover the whole of Ibadan even if you stay for a year. That is how massive Ibadan is.

You lie. Did it in 2 half days.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 10:41pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti:

You don't know how to sleep. And please understand me, ibadan generally is big no doubt, but the little developed areas in ibadan aint upto 2km. There's really nothing in ibadan at all. And am so serious about it. The land at ibadan is just a waste. How can u call ibadan a city where a flat of 2bedroom goes for 50k a year?
grin grin
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by eaglechild: 10:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
Lagos is a city state.

Just like Singapore or London Paris etc.

All of Lagos state can be considered a city.

When mention is made of Lagos today, it refers to the metropolitan area comprising the island and mainland etc.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 10:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
[b][/b]This report was dated some years ago.

[i][/i]In five years’ time, Lagos, the commercial centre of Nigeria, is set to overtake the Egyptian capital, Cairo, as Africa’s largest city; the United Nations-Habitat report, has said.

According to the report, it is estimated that by 2015, Lagos will have 12.4 million inhabitants.

The reported added that the number of people living in African cities would triple over the next 40 years and by 2050, 60 per cent of Africans would be city dwellers.

UN-Habitat Executive Director, Mr. Joan Clos, told the British Broadcasting Corporation on Wednesday that Africa needed to invest urgently in housing.

He told the BBC that sub-Saharan Africa could learn from North Africa as Egypt, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia had almost halved slum areas in the past 20 years.

Some 199.5 million people in sub-Saharan Africa live in slums, the highest number in the world, the UN said earlier this year.

According to UN-Habitat’s State of African Cities 2010 report, urbanisation is happening faster in Africa than anywhere else in the world.

By 2030 the continent will no longer be predominately rural, it says.

Clos said that cities were attractive places for those wanting to relocate.

“People are looking for a better future and they think the city can offer that,” he told the BBC’s Focus on Africa programme.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201011252332662
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by emmatok(m): 10:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti:

I said Lagos and not Lagos state. And please be corrected, ibadan is a place in oyo state. Lagos island is a city. Thank me later

Stop arguing blindly.

You said So, I went to ibadan to see its holds, all they got is 2 tertiary institution, a mini-zoo, a mini-museum, hotels, banks and one old cocoa house. I doubt if its a city or town.... I strongly think Lagos is the largest city

Are those amenities present in Lagos island ?
If Ikeja is bigger and more developed than Lagos island, how can you compare Lagos island to Ibadan.

You simply don't know the geography of Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 28, 2014
sseunth: where r u from??
from the land of the Rising Sun smiley but don't get me wrong here. I care less about the Igbos like I care less about other tribes. I'm a Nigerian...just like you. So don't attach tribalism in my post smiley
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by sseunth(m): 11:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti:

heheheh...u r high for sayn dat...2km??...u need to go back...and mind u, in ib...dere are areas for d poor and area for d rich....guess u visited d poor area...bcus d least house u can get per yer in jericho, bodija etc sud be 250k to 300k...3bedroom flat bro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 11:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
emmatok:

Stop arguing blindly.

You said So, I went to ibadan to see its holds, all they got is 2 tertiary institution, a mini-zoo, a mini-museum, hotels, banks and one old cocoa house. I doubt if its a city or town.... I strongly think Lagos is the largest city

Are those amenities present in Lagos island ?
If Ikeja is bigger and more developed than Lagos, how can you
compare Lagos island to Ibadan.

You simply don't know the geography on lagos Lagos

You must be igodye. Are you a clown, and please start considering yourself as one. You are looking at size right!!! Now lemme kindly ask you? Can you proudly call the whole ibadan a city?? With the slums, mud houses et al.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by meforyou1(m): 11:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti:

how much is 2 bedroom in lagos? My friend in egbeda is paying 150k for 3 bedroom, while i'm paying almost 2 million for same in utako, abuja

5 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 11:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
sseunth: heheheh...u r high for sayn dat...2km??...u need to go back

Bros e never reach quarrel. Wetin I wan go back for? After mokola, oluyole, where else can be called a city? Did I hear u say ojoo or challenge or uch?
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by abes(m): 11:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti:

You must be igodye. Are you a clown, and please start considering yourself as one. You are looking at size right!!! Now lemme kindly ask you? Can you proudly call the whole ibadan a city?? With the slums, mud houses et al.

What is so wrong with a mud house? Do you know how cool it is inside a mud house? well you should know cos all the houses in your village are mud houses....

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti:

50k a year? And you got this info by spending how many hours in Ibadan? I stay in a flat off campus in ibadan in a student area, and we pay #150k per year. its obvious you'll say anything to prove your point.

6 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by sseunth(m): 11:22pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti:

Bros e never reach quarrel. Wetin I wan go back for? After mokola, oluyole, where else can be called a city? Did I hear u say ojoo or challenge or uch?
u want me to list em??
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 11:23pm On Aug 28, 2014
meforyou1: how much is 2 bedroom in lagos? My friend in egbeda is paying 150k for 3 bedroom, while i'm paying almost 2 million for same in utako, abuja

Bros, with 2million naira you can own an estate at ibadan. This is not a joke.

I didn't call egbeda when I was mentioning Lagos island. Still on the matter, egbeda is well developed than ibadan.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by ketoprofen(m): 11:23pm On Aug 28, 2014
ibedun:

Understandably the concept of city is very new to our Eastern brothers.

thIbadan was named the second largest city in Africa for sometime behind Cairo.

Cairo is an old city like Ibadan. Just like Timbuktu and Kano in the century before last.

The concept of city is new to the east? Agreed.
But the east ended up building more planned n finer cities than the west ( except Lagos island).
Give them kudos

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by meforyou1(m): 11:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
emmatok:

that's where they mistake it. There's a lagos city different from lagos state. There kaduna city in kaduna state, there's kano city in kano state, there's nassarawa town in nassarawa state, there's enugu city in enugu state. Everybody keep saying lagos as if lagos city is same as lagos state. Are u saying all those rural epe, badagry etc are all parts of lagos city?
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 11:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
abes:

What is so wrong with a mud house? Do you know how cool it is inside a mud house? well you should know cos all the houses in your village are mud houses....

Bwaaaahhahahahahhaah. I knew it, you were the one I saw in that mud house right!! Prove me wrong, my 2cents.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by sseunth(m): 11:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbanikiti:

Bros, with 2million naira you can own an estate at ibadan. This is not a joke.

I didn't call egbeda when I was mentioning Lagos island. Still on the matter, egbeda is well developed than ibadan.
bro, e don do una....u no nowhere in ib.....so no dey compare lagos n ib....lagos s developed dan ib...agreed...bt ib is far bigger dan lagos.....slum or no slum....as if dere s no slum in lag

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Cheers As Atiku Stoops To Greet Obasanjo In Katsina / Buhari’s Wife Relocates To Aso Rock Ahead Of Husband / EFCC Uncovers Religious Sect Laundering Money For Terrorists - Olukoyede

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.