Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. (27748 Views)

Attention: Ward 022, Ejigbo Lagos Is Being Rigged / Boko Haram Successfully Takes Over The 2nd Largest City In Borno / Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by rman: 3:49am On Aug 29, 2014
gbanikiti:

You don't know how to sleep. And please understand me, ibadan generally is big no doubt, but the little developed areas in ibadan aint upto 2km. There's really nothing in ibadan at all. And am so serious about it. The land at ibadan is just a waste. How can u call ibadan a city where a flat of 2bedroom goes for 50k a year?

Balant lie!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by rman: 3:52am On Aug 29, 2014
abes:

yeah you are right.. this is the proof...

I thought you are genuine....

Stop wasting your time with low life's

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by agabusta: 3:55am On Aug 29, 2014
gbanikiti:

Now u get my point. The cocoa house made it the largest city then,right now so many things are washed away if u ask me.

How can this statement come from an educated person? That one tall building is what makes a place a city. Standard of education has indeed fallen in Nigeria.

Lagos is an agglomeration of different cities and can properly be referred to as a metropolis and not a city.

Only God knows where the OP got the info that Ibadan is the Largest city in Africa. Ibadan has never been described as such. Ibadan has always been described as the largest city in West Africa.

Ibadan is massive! Having a mix of both modern and ancient areas. I'm familiar with places having high occupancy as I have spent a good number of years in Lagos, but I'm always enthralled by how big Ibadan is whenever I'm in that city. If i'm not mistaken, Ibadan alone should have at least 8 local governments and a population of about 3 million people.

Sometimes when you stand on an hilly area, you'll see endless stretches of brown roof houses. This demonstrates that a great Kingdom once thrived in this area. Despite how archaic and ancient this seems, I'm always awed by the scenery.

There are modern areas in Ibadan and ancient areas. The present governor is trying a lot in modernizing the city but facing resistance from some people used to the old way of doing things.

Ibadan has the potential of representing Nigeria as one of our great cities with a robust economy if given proper direction as a result of its rich human resource.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 5:25am On Aug 29, 2014
nduchucks: What the heck is going on down here? I thought gbanikiti is the alias of berem.
lipsrsealed
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by chinasaekperem: 6:16am On Aug 29, 2014
Ibadan as a city is almost as big as lagos state, ibadan covers 3080km2 while lagos state is 3577km2, even if we want to claim that lagos city is beyond lagos island and mainland, lagos city cannot include towns like ikorodu, badagry and epe, these are distinct towns with a noticeable boundaries. So considering the removal of these towns, ibadan is bigger than a lagos city beyond island and mainland. The only problem with ibadan is that its too ancient, shanty and most of its parts are aesthetically dead. Ibadan remains the biggest city in sub-saharan africa.

5 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 6:42am On Aug 29, 2014
agabusta:

How can this statement come from an educated person? That one tall building is what makes a place a city. Standard of education has indeed fallen in Nigeria.

Lagos is an agglomeration of different cities and can properly be referred to as a metropolis and not a city.

Only God knows where the OP got the info that Ibadan is the Largest city in Africa. Ibadan has never been described as such. Ibadan has always been described as the largest city in West Africa.

Ibadan is massive! Having a mix of both modern and ancient areas. I'm familiar with places having high occupancy as I have spent a good number of years in Lagos, but I'm always enthralled by how big Ibadan is whenever I'm in that city. If i'm not mistaken, Ibadan alone should have at least 8 local governments and a population of about 3 million people.

Sometimes when you stand on an hilly area, you'll see endless stretches of brown roof houses. This demonstrates that a great Kingdom once thrived in this area. Despite how archaic and ancient this seems, I'm always awed by the scenery.

There are modern areas in Ibadan and ancient areas. The present governor is trying a lot in modernizing the city but facing resistance from some people used to the old way of doing things.

Ibadan has the potential of representing Nigeria as one of our great cities with a robust economy if given proper direction as a result of its rich human resource.

Ibadan has 11 LGA: s

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 6:43am On Aug 29, 2014
agabusta:

Ibadan has 11 LGA: s ...who told you gbanikiti is educated?

4 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 6:51am On Aug 29, 2014
nduchucks: What the heck is going on down here? I thought gbanikiti is the alias of berem.

It is the senseless version of berem....while berem is d down syndrome version of itself.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by sseunth(m): 7:22am On Aug 29, 2014
bro, when will you have time to show me a place where 2million can buy 20plots of land in ib.....even the 2m u ll struggle b4 u see a plot of land....u are just arguing blindly......ib is a city not a fully developed one.....ib is so big that not just a government can handle it compare to lagos....we all know in nigeria that we all have corrupt leaders.....nxt time dont say lagos is bigger than ib....just say lagos is more developed than ib.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by SambisaKing: 8:04am On Aug 29, 2014
Aba

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by SambisaKing: 8:08am On Aug 29, 2014
[size=18pt]Enugu[/size]

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by SambisaKing: 8:11am On Aug 29, 2014
[size=18pt]Ibadam is nothing but concentration of mud bungalows[/size]

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by gbanikiti(m): 8:22am On Aug 29, 2014
@sambisa king, thanks for the picturres.

Meanwhile, some people just like quarrel pass fried rice.

Someone said am silly, someone said am not educated, someone said am senseless, someone said am low life, well I can embrace all insults but no one should say I don't have shoes.

Ok. Ibadan is the largest city in sub-sahara africa in size? Lemme write it down. You guys should tell yourself the truth.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 8:32am On Aug 29, 2014
Oh how I love Ibadan.....the homely megacity.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by smiley001(m): 8:48am On Aug 29, 2014
U guys arguing wit d full r jes wasting yah time... He should just tell us d village he comes from and we compare d whole of his state to ibadan alone. And again, wot did u mean by just 2 tertiary institutions? Wit dis and if u r referring to only ui and lead city means u r not educated truly as said by some1 earlier. Now let me educate u very well...

Tertiary institutions:
- UI
-Lead city uni
-More Plantation at apata (a federal skool of agric fat gives out ond and hnd and dey also partake in nysc)
-Frin at jericho ( also a federal skool of agric just as more plantation and also mobilises for nysc... Note dat dis skool ar d best in d country.)
-federal college of cooperative studies also e level.
-federal skool of statistics at sasa, also hnd awarding skool and also mobilises for nysc.
-oyo state college of hygiene also at eleyele.
-oyo state skool of nursing and midwifery also at eleyele.
-the great polytechnic of ibadan... u can never ever compare ur state polytechnic wit d great poly ibadan wherever u may come from in dis country in terms of structure, past products and legacies, academics and international recognition. There op I challenge u on dis, name ur state poly and let's debate.

Tall buidlings:
-cocoa house
-femi Johnson glass house
-aje house also very close to femi Johnson.
Dear op, d shortest of dis buildings is d aje house... I hereby dare u to pls name one building dat is as tall as d aje house in d whole of ur state and I also give u d chance of claiming ur neighbouring states if there's any there. I Don't even know d rubbish state u come from.

A mini zoo:
We av 2 world class and internationally recognised zoos.
-UI zoo
-oyo state government zoo called Agodi Gardens newly u upgraded.

A mini museum:
-d cultural center at mokola. If u call d museum there a mini den it means u r not educated at all. Even wit d architectural structure of d cultural center mokola , I dare u to name any of its type In ur whole state.

Op: do u av any beef wit ibadan ni? Oya let me challenge u again and reply by comparing wit ur state. Is it wrong for a city to be old ni?
-agbowo shopping mall and d cocoa house shopping mall.
-2 world class cinemas: d film house cinema at cocoa house and d ventura at sango.
-2 shoprite stores and d biggest in Nigeria presently.
-present ibadan: all d MAJOR roads in ibadan r dualised wit at least 4 lanes.
-ibadan is so vast dat we av over 15 new and developed areas wit modern facilities d problem is dey r just scattered every wia . Just 2 or 3 of dis areas will cover d whole of d developed Areas In ur state. U can ask ur brothers in ibadan dey will tell u d truth.

Banks:
In ibadan alone we av up to 15 branches of first bank even if not more Dan dat. And dis is almost d same case wit all d banks.
Op, I challenge u to give out d total number of first bank branches in d whole of ur state and compare it wit just ibadan alone but not oyo state as a whole.

U must never ever compare lagos state wit ibadan again in ur life as no state in Nigeria can be compared wit lagos. Dey compare lagos wit other African countries ni not wit a state in Nigeria.

D only state dat can be compared wit ibadan in terms of everything in Nigeria r just kano state and river state... any state out of dis 2, means u r just on here mocking ni.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Unemadu: 9:03am On Aug 29, 2014
gbanikiti: @sambisa king, thanks for the picturres.

Meanwhile, some people just like quarrel pass fried rice.

Someone said am silly, someone said am not educated, someone said am senseless, someone said am low life, well I can embrace all insults but no one should say I don't have shoes.

Ok. Ibadan is the largest city in sub-sahara africa in size? Lemme write it down. You guys should tell yourself the truth.

It is high time we stopped this bashing along tribal lines. You started in a good way by comparing the size of the two cities but ended up ethnicizing the whole thing.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by abagoro(m): 9:15am On Aug 29, 2014
I was last in Ibadan in 2008 and the impression I got was a large rural cluster. In the Igbo world old Ibadan cannot be considered a township because the houses are short and are mostly owned by indigenes and arranged in family quarters. However in reality Ibadan can be defined as an ancient city with modern offshoots. It was the 2nd largest city in land mass after Lagos but I doubt it is bigger than Port-Harcourt area today. Going by 2006 google pictures, Lagos is by far the largest in Nigeria by land mass but much smaller than Cape town area of South Africa. Ibadan comes 2nd and Kano 3rd, Kaduna 4th, Benin 5th and PH 6th. However today Port-Harcourt seems to be dragging for the 2nd position with Ibadan.

Lagos is by far the largest city in Nigeria both by land mass and population. Has the most high-rises as well. Has the biggest economy, highest number of businesses and almost everything.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by eaglechild: 9:30am On Aug 29, 2014
abagoro: I was last in Ibadan in 2008 and the impression I got was a large rural cluster. In the Igbo world old Ibadan cannot be considered a township because the houses are short and are mostly owned by indigenes and arranged in family quarters. However in reality Ibadan can be defined as an ancient city with modern offshoots. It was the 2nd largest city in land mass after Lagos but I doubt it is bigger than Port-Harcourt area today. Going by 2006 google pictures, Lagos is by far the largest in Nigeria by land mass but much smaller than Cape town area of South Africa. Ibadan comes 2nd and Kano 3rd, Kaduna 4th, Benin 5th and PH 6th. However today Port-Harcourt seems to be dragging for the 2nd position with Ibadan.

Lagos is by far the largest city in Nigeria both by land mass and population. Has the most high-rises as well. Has the biggest economy, highest number of businesses and almost everything.
You have succeeded in making sense cheesy.

But I think you forgot Abuja metropolitan area.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by jibsai(m): 9:32am On Aug 29, 2014
Well ...all the above is a baseless talk, if you wanna argue city/town I believe u should spend time to observe, u can't say "so I was ibadan" and think you are making any sensible point. In south korea(anywhere with 150k population becomes a city google that.) In the UK (a small place could be a city by right or special grant e.g lister city or hull city, u can't compare it to london or manchester..london city refers to the commercial hub of london alone and not the whole greater london which means london city is a borough council with a mayor and greater london has Lord mayor mind u dats how LG are broken down in the UK) Greater london is a county and london city, fulham, westminster with about 20+ borough council are LG within london nd they work as a cooperation google that too))) now u don't know ibadan so, lemme start ma counter argument
1. Ibadan has more than 2 institutions, I hear of some myself I don't kno all... Few of them are the premier Nigerian versity Ui, Poly ib, leadcity university (Now these ones am gonna list research them and see what they do, u might need it later--->IITA, Niser, institute of agric more plantation, CRIN (cocoa reseash inst of nigeria) school of nursing eleyele, UCH has several colleges awarding various medical/health certificates including nursing, medical biology, chemistry etc nigerian school of jornalism, institute of mathematics and statistics...Ibadan is regarded as the educational capital of Nigeria just like lagos is commercial/financial capital...u displayed your ignorance by not knowing this bro, every informed person know ibadan is home to top schools and hundreds of reseaching centres
Now what do u mean by Mini zoo? UI is one of the very few higher schools in nigeria with a standard and functioning zoological garden (I challenge you to mention others if u know?) There is another zoo inside Agodi gardens so which one are u calling mini most def not UI's and am sure u didn't enter agodi garden so which ZOO are u talking about?

*Landmass of ibadan metropolitan area is largest in nigeria, you are the only one that wanna dispute dat not even kano or kaduna learned peeps will argue. Lagos can't fight us, cos they gat too much water am sure u can check an atlas map to verify. Ibadan is situated inland so we gat land plenty.
What is mini in a museum u def don't know what you are talkin about so I'll let dat pass. Now the fact is "ibadan city" is only 5LGAs of ibadan metropolitan area. An area that start just after fiditi town in Afijio LGA in Oyo zone of Oyo state. Akinyele LGs(northern most part of ibadan) covers over a thousand villages and settlements and has its boundry to ibadan north LGA at Orogun junction just near UI's 2nd gate. The largest LGA in the metropolitan area is Iddo(iddo is the largest town here) just after ibarapa axis of oyo state covering hundreds of towns and settlement including omi adio, apata gaga, kuola all the way to Eleyele/ologun eru area closing boundry with ibadan north and ibadan south west. If u read the below carefully then you might understad that ibadan has gone beyond just a city, it is an international mega city, a city state and a traditional state. An Historical settlement of highest order

What we refer to as "ibadan city" is the 5LGAs dat make up d Metropolitan area.

1. Ibadan north IBNLG--->Areas of Bodija( old bodija, New bodija, University of ibadan, Samonda estate (u can't even buy land here if ur not holding at least 35m cool cash ask around), Mokola axis very big area because there we have mokola hills and downBelow (on the hill, we have the famous Premier hotel am sure u didn't get there!, festac town where we have d cultural centre, the proposed site of ibadan hilton hotel, dandaru dam, down d hill is mokola roundabout and the new mokola overHead bridge, ibnLG is home to sango, Oke-itunu and the great Poly ibadan.

2. Ibadan north east IBNELG (Agodi where we have Government secretariat, it was also used for old westen region, Agodi gardens is near, there is a zoo in it and amazing botanical landscape (so which mini zoo are u talking about?) There is agodi GRA (where the Governor stays, Top guns live here, trust me u must be filty rich to live there, Ibadan civic centre is here Odua shopping center is next to it) Abayomi, Agodi Gate where we have the imposing Abdulazeez arisekola mosque with a massive expansive gold Dome) agodi/gate is a commercial hub leading to ife road, iwo road this road leads to Ibadan Airport where flights are operating daily. Massive populations in all these places bro)

3.Ibadan North West IBNW: (The area links part of old ibadan city ((where you people that are ignorant of our city call dusty/muddy)) to d commercial/financial hub of ibadan. These newer and reservered places are super cool from d old side like opo, orita-merin, inalende, oniyanrin where we had Nitel SW HQ, to d popuplar markets of Ogunpa, old gbagi, agbeni, oke padre, ifeleye, amunigun, Dugbe CBD where we have d bank road, cocoa house HQ of Odua investment company, the heritage mall and cocoamall where we have shoprite, filmhouse, mr price, and several international offices and outlets, Radio Nigeria ibadan national station, CBN tower, Aje house, Towers of UBA, Union bank, Skye bank, Oxford, leventis and the famous Femi johnson Glass house Ibadan's oldest night club CocoA DOME owned by the lebanese is near cocoa house ...These places further links the white/lebanese/chinese dominated areas of Onireke there is a chinese resturant here, Onireke GRA where several foreign schools are. There is Sabo wigatap estate its owned by LG its a bulk of 2 and 3bedroom flats all in 3_4 storey rumours has it dat u will need to pay heavy for it. Then, Adamasigba is d border mokola which is in IBN. Adamasigba is famous for lekan salami ssport complex, home of 3sc team. Also @ IbNw Jericho where we have d popular magazine road dat houses many leading publishing firms, jericho nursing home, Dstv sw Office is also here.

4. Ibadan south east IBSELG(This is the core old city area like Mapo u must have heard of famous Mapo Hall ofcos everybody knows it, Oja'ba where olubadan's palace is located, kudeti where we have the first church in ibadan an anglican church, Yejide, Elekuro where we have d prestigeous Wesley college, sanyo, soka(u heard of soka saga), ode aje, Molete, the palacial residence of late lamidi Adedibu is here the molete overhead bridge is d boundry that leads U into Newer, Fresher Ibadan (I.e Ibadan south west.) SE is densely populated and that's where u find majority of old buildings and brown roofs

5. Ibadan South West IBSW: (This is one of the most choiced area, its the area for the big men am not sure u got here during your visit OP? You can never explore only this LGA in a year. This is where we have Bola ige international market aleshinloye, Alalubosa GRA wow! Bro if u have 40-50m u can get a land there too, we have the famous Ring Road lenting about 10-15km and on the road you will find thousands of modern sophisticated buildings public and private..Examples? Newly opened biggest Shoprite inside the Ibadan city mall is on this road, High court is opposite, Wallans hotel(formally D.rovans) is on d road, travel house the only hotel that charge u 9k/nite no matter which room u are staying is on Ring road, crownTrust, Dhl, fedex, Kfc, Mtn ibadan office, honda motors, kia motors, the concord shool, several banks, law firms and commercial firm are on the ring road...now off ring road I.e the inner streets my brother those places are massive IBsw is one of the most industrialized places in nigeria cos there is Oluyole industrial extention and several industries are here summal, yale foods, ok foods, zartech, pepsi, rcc, pw..e.t.c, Oluyole estate is residential area the governor of d state has his home here, oluyole extention is different, that place is rapidly growing all these are on your right inward as u move on the ringroad starting from the 1st ring(if u don't get it don't worry, just ask where the the ring is starting from. On the left inward you have the famous oni and sons, Ajeigbe and joiceB residential areas its made up of houses for middle class family or persons and many top guys too, mostly bulk of flats, 3storey room apartments...so u can say the left of ringroad inward is for middle class and right inward for big boys...also at IBsw we have the famous oke-bola where we have st james cathedral, the great ibadan boys high school Baptist building etc, @oke-bola-dugbe road is the boundry btw IBNW and IBSW oke-ado where we have the famous and first standard nigerian stadium liberty stadium, prestigous jogor centre is here, ibsw is home to Nigeria tobacco company thats why we have NTC road, near it is Olubadan stadium 2 stadia in one LGA lol, ibsw is home to the fabulous Kakanfo inn @joiceB off ringroad, ibsw is home splash fm. 105.5 most listened radio in Southwest nigeria @felele this area is massive and thousands of peeps live here. Several foreigners especially Americans and britts stay @iyaganku GRA, they even have a private bar and chill center @ iyaganku GRA where a bottle of beer is 1k ask around, Rotary club house is somewhere around,am sure u didn't get there, iyanganku is badass area u need money to survive here brother, ibsw is home to the popular Challege and Orita challenge areas, here you have yinka Ayefele's music house, the road network of ibsw from ringroad---orita challenge is amazing u should ask need to see it
This is Ibadan city if you can cover these 5LGAs the remaining 6 LGAs that surround the city are metropolitan areas...
NB a place with a population of over 3million people is a city no matter what your argument can be...Ibadan has history, landmass, massive population, Technology, mobility, great educational culture, nature and ofcos we gat sweggggg..Whatelse shall we call ibadan If not a city

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by siokpe: 9:45am On Aug 29, 2014
Ikengawo: Ibadan is the largest by landmass, you can see it on google earth...though I think Lagos has surpassed it, a lot of the portions of Lagos aren't considered Lagos City technically.

Ibadan is a lot of people's village if that makes sense from an Igbo standpoint. It's simply their indigenous home and so all you'll see are houses. institutions are moved to Lagos where it's more profitable but the entire Ibadan is just an antiquated giant rural settlement

It is not a matter of checking anything on google. It is like checking the google to find out who discovered River Niger and the result is Mungo Park. But me and you know that isnt correct because there had always been clusters of communities along the river. In those days when Lagos stopped at Yaba and Western Region from Jibowu, then Ibadan could be said to be larger than Lagos. The Lagos of today from Lekki to Ayobo or from Sango Toll gate to Ajangbadi compact with houses and people has definetely overtaken any city. Lagos has grown and extended to parts of Ogun state.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 29, 2014
I don't wanna believe this OP is learned ...you must be one numbskull! undecided

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 29, 2014
emmatok:

Why the insults,
Educate yourself, Ibadan is city divided into 5 local governments.
I thought you created this thread for intellectual discourse, not knowing its another ANTI-IBADAN rant by Bigots.

There are 11 local government areas in ibadan not 5.
Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by chinasaekperem: 10:26am On Aug 29, 2014
aba as city has more liveable residence than ibadan, irrespective of the size.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 29, 2014
This ibadan is overhype in my own evaluation of the city and her so called development.

One thing people fail to understand is that ibadan have been developing since pope was alterboy yet the impacts are being forced down our throat.

If ibadan is not the clusters of rural areas, perpetual capital of regions turn states, LG headquarters, everything is concentrated there from time immemorial.

In PHC Rd fegge Onitsha, UBA has 5 branches, FirstBank 3 branches, all the mega banks have like 2 branches in this tiny street inside Onitsha surburb.
Then move to Iweka Rd, UBA has 4, FirstBank 3 and other banks having many branches,
move to New Mkt Rd Onitsha, UBA has 7 Branches, Firstbank 4 while all the banks in Nigeria have atleast 2branches there...these are just 3 streets in Onitsha...what about Onitsha suburbs of Obosi, Nkpor, Ogbaru, Nkwerre, Oba, Ogidi, Ogbunike etc they have concentration of many commerical ventures and banks

Lets move to Nnewi with more than 140 bank branches

go to Awka with more than 60 Bank Branches and a CBN office

go to Ekwulobia with 20 Bank branches

move to Ihiala with 15 Bank branches

that everything is concentrated in one hell of slum doesnt make it more economically vibrant tham the rest.

Oyo rural areas are none existing but rural area in east are thriving with robust economic activities. Okija, Osumenyi, Umuoji, all have robust commercial activities

When all the schools are concentrated in Ibadan but in East for example

Anambra;
UNIZIK-Awka,
Emeka Ojukwu-Igbariam/ Uli,
Okopoly-Oko,
Tansian Univ-Umunya,
Madonna-Okija,
St PaulsUniv- Awka,
Metallurgy-Onitsha,
Nwafor Orizu-Nsugbe
NAUTH-Nnewi,
EOUTH-Awka=
......Even development.

Move to Abia,
ABSU-Uturu,
Abiapoly-Aba,
MOUA-Umuahia,
ABSUTH-Aba
=Even development

everything is in Ibadan since 1777..yet the city is not among those CBN listed as the controllers of 70% transaction in Nigeria of Lagos, Rivers, Anambra, Abia and Kano

ibadan is clusters of people's villages with a CBD and federal institutions.

4 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by anag0900: 10:27am On Aug 29, 2014
jibsai: Well ...all the above is a baseless talk, if you wanna argue city/town I believe u should spend time to observe, u can't say "so I was ibadan" and think you are making any sensible point. In south korea(anywhere with 150k population becomes a city google that.) In the UK (a small place could be a city by right or special grant e.g lister city or hull city, u can't compare it to london or manchester..london city refers to the commercial hub of london alone and not the whole greater london which means london city is a borough council with a mayor and greater london has Lord mayor mind u dats how LG are broken down in the UK) Greater london is a county and london city, fulham, westminster with about 20+ borough council are LG within london nd they work as a cooperation google that too))) now u don't know ibadan so, lemme start ma counter argument
1. Ibadan has more than 2 institutions, I hear of some myself I don't kno all... Few of them are the premier Nigerian versity Ui, Poly ib, leadcity university (Now these ones am gonna list research them and see what they do, u might need it later--->IITA, Niser, institute of agric more plantation, CRIN (cocoa reseash inst of nigeria) school of nursing eleyele, UCH has several colleges awarding various medical/health certificates including nursing, medical biology, chemistry etc nigerian school of jornalism, institute of mathematics and statistics...Ibadan is regarded as the educational capital of Nigeria just like lagos is commercial/financial capital...u displayed your ignorance by not knowing this bro, every informed people know ibadan is home to top schools and hundreds of reseaching centres
Now what do u mean by Mini zoo? UI is one of the very few higher schools in nigeria with a standard and functioning zoological garden (I challenge you to mention others if u know?) There is another zoo inside Agodi gardens so which one are u calling mini most def not UI's and am sure u didn't enter agodi garden so which ZOO are u talking about

*Landmass of ibadan metropolitan area is largest in nigeria, you are the only one that wanna dispute dat not even kano or kaduna learned peeps will argue. Lagos can't fight us, cos they gat too much water am sure u can check an atlas map to verify. Ibadan is situated inland so we gat land plenty.
What is mini in a museum u def don't know what you are talkin about so I'll let dat pass. Now the fact is "ibadan city" is only 5LGAs of ibadan metropolitan area. An area that start just after fiditi town in Afijio LGA in Oyo zone of Oyo state. Akinyele LGs(northern most part of ibadan) covers over a thousand villages and settlements and has its boundry to ibadan north LGA at Orogun junction just near UI's 2nd gate. The largest LGA in the metropolitan area is Iddo(iddo is the largest town here) just after ibarapa axis of oyo state covering hundreds of towns and settlement including omi adio, apata gaga, kuola all the way to Eleyele/ologun eru area closing boundry with ibadan north and ibadan south west. If u read the below carefully then you might understad that ibadan has gone beyond just a city, it is an international mega city, a city state and a traditional state. An Historical settlement of highest order

1. Ibadan north IBNLG--->Areas of Bodija( old bodija, New bodija, University of ibadan, Samonda estate (u can't even buy land here if ur not holding at least 35m cool cash ask around), Mokola axis very big area because there mokola hills and downBelow (here, u have the famous Premier hotel am sure u didn't get there! Still @mokola is festac town where we have d cultural centre, the proposed site of ibadan hilton hotel, dandaru dam, ibnLG is home to sango, Oke-itunu and the great Poly ibadan.

2. Ibadan north east IBNELG (Agodi where we have Government secretariat, it was also used for old westen region, Agodi gardens is near, there is a zoo in it and amazing botanical landscape (so which mini zoo are u talking about?) There is agodi GRA (where the Governor stays, Top guns leave here trust me u must be filty rich to leave there, Ibadan civic centre is here) Abayomi, Agodi Gate where we have the imposing Abdulazeez arisekola mosque) it is the commercial hub leading to ife road, iwo road this road leads to Ibadan Airport where flights are operating daily. Massive populations in all these places bro)

3.Ibadan North West IBNW: (The area links part of old ibadan city ((where you people that are ignorant of our city call dusty/muddy)) to d commercial/financial hub of ibadan. This newer and reservered places are super cool from d old side like opo, orita-merin, inalende, oniyanrin where we had Nitel SW HQ, to d popuplar markets of Ogunpa, old gbagi, agbeni, oke padre, ifeleye, amunigun, Dugbe CBD where we have d bank road, cocoa house HQ of Odua investment company, the heritage mall and cocoamall where we have shoprite, filmhouse, mr price, and several international offices and outlets, Radio Nigeria ibadan national station, CBN tower, Aje house, Towers of UBA, Union bank, Skye bank, Oxford, leventis and the famous Femi johnson Glass house Ibadan's oldest night club CocoA DOME owned by the lebanese is near cocoa house ...These places further links the white/lebanese/chinese dominated areas of Onireke there is a chinese resturant here, Onireke GRA where several foreign schools are. There is Sabo wigatap estate is this LG bug of 2 and 3bedroom flats all in 3_4 story rumours has it u need to pay heavy for it. Jericho where we have d popular magazine road dat houses many leading publishing firms, jericho nursing home, Dstv sw Office

4. Ibadan south east (This is the core old city area like Mapo u must have heard of famous Mapo Hall ofcos everybody knows it, Oja'ba where olubadan's palace is located, kudeti where we have the first church in ibadan an anglican church, Yejide, Elekuro where we have d prestigeous Wesley college, ode aje, Molete the palacial residence of late Adedibu is here the molete overhead bridge is d boundry that leads U into Newer, Fresher Ibadan (I.e Ibadan south west.)

5. Ibadan South West IBSW: (This is one of the most choiced area, its the area for the big men am not sure u got here during your visit OP. you can never explore only this LGA in a year. This is where we bola ige international market aleshinloye, Alalubosa GRA wow! Bro if u have 40-50m u can get a land there too, we have the famous Ring Road lenting about 7-8km and on the road you will find thousands of modern sophisticated buildings public and private..Examples? Newly opened biggest Shoprite inside the Ibadan city mall is on this road, High court is opposite, Wallans hotel(formal D.roven) is on d road, travel house the only hotel that charge u 9k/nite no matter which rooom u are staying is on Ring road, crownTrust, Dhl, fedex, Kfc, Mtn ibadan office, the concord shool, several banks, law firms and commercial firm are on the ring road...now off ring road I.e the inner street my brother those places are massive IBsw is one of the most industrialized places in nigeria cos there is Oluyole industrial extention and several industries are here summal, yale foods, ok foods, zartech, pepsi, rcc, pw..e.t.c, Oluyole estate is residential area the governor of d state has his home here, oluyole extention is different, that place is rapidly growing all these are on your right inward as u move on the ringroad starting from the 1st ring(if u don't get it don't worry, just ask where the the ring is starting from. On the left inward you have the famous Ajeigbe and joiceB residential areas its made up of houses for middle class family or person and many top guys too, mostly bug of flats, 3storey room apartments...so u can say the left of ringroad inward is for middle class and right inward for big boys...also at IBsw we have the famous oke-bola where we have st james cathedral, Baptist building etc, oke-ado where we have the famous and first standard stadium liberty stadium, prestigous jogor centre is here, ibsw is home to Nigeria tobacco company that why we have NTC road, near it is Olubadan stadium 2 stadia in one LGA lol, ibsw is home to the fabulous looking Kakanfo inn @joiceB off ringroad, ibsw is home splash fm most listened radio in Southwest nigeria @felele this area is massive and thousands of peeps live her. Several foreigners especially Americans and britts stay @iyaganku GRA, they even have a private bar and chill center @ iyaganku GRA where a bottle of beer is 1k ask around, Rotary club house is somewhere around,am sure u didn't get there, iyanganku is badass area u need money to survive here brother, ibsw is home to the popular Challege and Orita challenge areas, here you have yinka Ayefele's music house, the road network of ibsw from ringroad---orita challenge is amazing u should ask need to see it
This is Ibadan city if you can cover these 5LGAs the remaining 6 LGAs that surround the city are metropolitan areas...expansion of the city from road to building construction has made ibadan go mega...that's my submission and this is the Confirm truth...
NB a place with a population of over 3million people is a city no matter what your argument can be...Ibadan has history, landmass, massive population, Technology, mobility, great educational culture, nature and ofcos we gat sweggggg...whatelse shall we call ibadan If not a city

you know the town. for agodi wey I dey go for ib 300k flat no dey self.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 29, 2014
abagoro: I was last in Ibadan in 2008 and the impression I got was a large rural cluster. In the Igbo world old Ibadan cannot be considered a township because the houses are short and are mostly owned by indigenes and arranged in family quarters. However in reality Ibadan can be defined as an ancient city with modern offshoots. It was the 2nd largest city in land mass after Lagos but I doubt it is bigger than Port-Harcourt area today. Going by 2006 google pictures, Lagos is by far the largest in Nigeria by land mass but much smaller than Cape town area of South Africa. Ibadan comes 2nd and Kano 3rd, Kaduna 4th, Benin 5th and PH 6th. However today Port-Harcourt seems to be dragging for the 2nd position with Ibadan.

Only thing here is, lagos is a state not a city, oyo state will swallow lagos 5 times over.

And again, Ibadan was the largest city by population and landmass as at 1960, so, that point you made about it been 2nd to lagos, I don't know where you got it from. Lagos only later over took it by population thereafter, but due to the already limited lagos boundary there's no way it will ever be bigger than it already is and more reason it is growing vertically since people can't really build on water.

Anyway, you people need to lay off on ibadan, thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Pyroclast(m): 10:39am On Aug 29, 2014
shocked shocked shocked
@jibsai, that was phenomenal.
#triplesalute

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by anag0900: 10:48am On Aug 29, 2014
gra's in Ibadan...

bodija
olubadan
Iwo road
owode
oluyole
oluyole extension
lagelu
university of Ibadan
okebadan estate
agodi gra
Jericho gra
iyaganku
links and communication reserves
alalubosa gra
alesinloye gra
agala estate.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by smiley001(m): 10:49am On Aug 29, 2014
Radio stations in ibadan:
-splash fm (private)
-beat fm (private)
-star fm (private)
-liberty fm (privately owned along road stadium road though I can't recollect d name)
-fresh fm (privately owned by d world famous yinka ayefele)
-because (state govt)
-amuludun (federal govt, pure yoruba speaking fm station)
-premier fm (federal govt)

Ibadan isn't a city yet it has 5 privately owned radio stations if not even more. @op, ow many privately owned radio station does ur state av?

4 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 10:52am On Aug 29, 2014
jibsai: Well ...all the above is a baseless talk, if you wanna argue city/town I believe u should spend time to observe, u can't say "so I was ibadan" and think you are making any sensible point. In south korea(anywhere with 150k population becomes a city google that.) In the UK (a small place could be a city by right or special grant e.g lister city or hull city, u can't compare it to london or manchester..london city refers to the commercial hub of london alone and not the whole greater london which means london city is a borough council with a mayor and greater london has Lord mayor mind u dats how LG are broken down in the UK) Greater london is a county and london city, fulham, westminster with about 20+ borough council are LG within london nd they work as a cooperation google that too))) now u don't know ibadan so, lemme start ma counter argument
1. Ibadan has more than 2 institutions, I hear of some myself I don't kno all... Few of them are the premier Nigerian versity Ui, Poly ib, leadcity university (Now these ones am gonna list research them and see what they do, u might need it later--->IITA, Niser, institute of agric more plantation, CRIN (cocoa reseash inst of nigeria) school of nursing eleyele, UCH has several colleges awarding various medical/health certificates including nursing, medical biology, chemistry etc nigerian school of jornalism, institute of mathematics and statistics...Ibadan is regarded as the educational capital of Nigeria just like lagos is commercial/financial capital...u displayed your ignorance by not knowing this bro, every informed people know ibadan is home to top schools and hundreds of reseaching centres
Now what do u mean by Mini zoo? UI is one of the very few higher schools in nigeria with a standard and functioning zoological garden (I challenge you to mention others if u know?) There is another zoo inside Agodi gardens so which one are u calling mini most def not UI's and am sure u didn't enter agodi garden so which ZOO are u talking about

1. Ibadan north IBNLG--->Areas of Bodija( old bodija, New bodija, University of ibadan, Samonda estate (u can't even buy land here if ur not holding at least 35m cool cash ask around), Mokola axis very big area because there mokola hills and downBelow (here, u have the famous Premier hotel am sure u didn't get there! Still @mokola is festac town where we have d cultural centre, the proposed site of ibadan hilton hotel, dandaru dam, ibnLG is home to sango, Oke-itunu and the great Poly ibadan.

2. Ibadan north east IBNELG (Agodi where we have Government secretariat, it was also used for old westen region, Agodi gardens is near, there is a zoo in it and amazing botanical landscape (so which mini zoo are u talking about?) There is agodi GRA (where the Governor stays, Top guns leave here trust me u must be filty rich to leave there, Ibadan civic centre is here) Abayomi, Agodi Gate where we have the imposing Abdulazeez arisekola mosque) it is the commercial hub leading to ife road, iwo road this road leads to Ibadan Airport where flights are operating daily. Massive populations in all these places bro)

3.Ibadan North West IBNW: (The area links part of old ibadan city ((where you people that are ignorant of our city call dusty/muddy)) to d commercial/financial hub of ibadan. This newer and reservered places are super cool from d old side like opo, orita-merin, inalende, oniyanrin where we had Nitel SW HQ, to d popuplar markets of Ogunpa, old gbagi, agbeni, oke padre, ifeleye, amunigun, Dugbe CBD where we have d bank road, cocoa house HQ of Odua investment company, the heritage mall and cocoamall where we have shoprite, filmhouse, mr price, and several international offices and outlets, Radio Nigeria ibadan national station, CBN tower, Aje house, Towers of UBA, Union bank, Skye bank, Oxford, leventis and the famous Femi johnson Glass house Ibadan's oldest night club CocoA DOME owned by the lebanese is near cocoa house ...These places further links the white/lebanese/chinese dominated areas of Onireke there is a chinese resturant here, Onireke GRA where several foreign schools are. There is Sabo wigatap estate is this LG bug of 2 and 3bedroom flats all in 3_4 story rumours has it u need to pay heavy for it. Jericho where we have d popular magazine road dat houses many leading publishing firms, jericho nursing home, Dstv sw Office

4. Ibadan south east (This is the core old city area like Mapo u must have heard of famous Mapo Hall ofcos everybody knows it, Oja'ba where olubadan's palace is located, kudeti where we have the first church in ibadan an anglican church, Yejide, Elekuro where we have d prestigeous Wesley college, ode aje, Molete the palacial residence of late Adedibu is here the molete overhead bridge is d boundry that leads U into Newer, Fresher Ibadan (I.e Ibadan south west.)

5. Ibadan South West IBSW: (This is one of the most choiced area, its the area for the big men am not sure u got here during your visit OP. you can never explore only this LGA in a year. This is where we bola ige international market aleshinloye, Alalubosa GRA wow! Bro if u have 40-50m u can get a land there too, we have the famous Ring Road lenting about 7-8km and on the road you will find thousands of modern sophisticated buildings public and private..Examples? Newly opened biggest Shoprite inside the Ibadan city mall is on this road, High court is opposite, Wallans hotel(formal D.roven) is on d road, travel house the only hotel that charge u 9k/nite no matter which rooom u are staying is on Ring road, crownTrust, Dhl, fedex, Kfc, Mtn ibadan office, the concord shool, several banks, law firms and commercial firm are on the ring road...now off ring road I.e the inner street my brother those places are massive IBsw is one of the most industrialized places in nigeria cos there is Oluyole industrial extention and several industries are here summal, yale foods, ok foods, zartech, pepsi, rcc, pw..e.t.c, Oluyole estate is residential area the governor of d state has his home here, oluyole extention is different, that place is rapidly growing all these are on your right inward as u move on the ringroad starting from the 1st ring(if u don't get it don't worry, just ask where the the ring is starting from. On the left inward you have the famous Ajeigbe and joiceB residential areas its made up of houses for middle class family or person and many top guys too, mostly bug of flats, 3storey room apartments...so u can say the left of ringroad inward is for middle class and right inward for big boys...also at IBsw we have the famous oke-bola where we have st james cathedral, Baptist building etc, oke-ado where we have the famous and first standard stadium liberty stadium, prestigous jogor centre is here, ibsw is home to Nigeria tobacco company that why we have NTC road, near it is Olubadan stadium 2 stadia in one LGA lol, ibsw is home to the fabulous looking Kakanfo inn @joiceB off ringroad, ibsw is home splash fm most listened radio in Southwest nigeria @felele this area is massive and thousands of peeps live her. Several foreigners especially Americans and britts stay @iyaganku GRA, they even have a private bar and chill center @ iyaganku GRA where a bottle of beer is 1k ask around, Rotary club house is somewhere around,am sure u didn't get there, iyanganku is badass area u need money to survive here brother, ibsw is home to the popular Challege and Orita challenge areas, here you have yinka Ayefele's music house, the road network of ibsw from ringroad---orita challenge is amazing u should ask need to see it
This is Ibadan city if you can cover these 5LGAs the remaining 6 LGAs that surround the city are metropolitan areas...expansion of the city from road to building construction has made ibadan go mega...that's my submission and this is the Confirm truth...
NB a place with a population of over 3million people is a city no matter what your argument can be...Ibadan has history, landmass, massive population, Technology, mobility, great educational culture, nature and ofcos we gat sweggggg...whatelse shall we call ibadan If not a city

This is the long and short of the story, thank you for the detailed explanation.

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 29, 2014
Am beginning to get tired of ibos on this forum. We are discussing ibadan and the next thing they can think of is to post pics of nice places in the east alongside pics of ancient ibadan to what end? I was in ibadan last month and I can tell you that ibadan is quite different from what cretins make you all to believe. From lead city to challenge to eleyele to sango to ojoo are all four Lane express ways and those were the only areas I covered. Those people posting pics of storey buildings in SE should just get themselves enlightened. The people there know they don't have enough land that's why they decide to build 4 to 5 storey buildings about just to economize land, where each storey is owned by different individuals. Ibadan alone is almost as big as the whole of SE. Ibadan is bigger than lagos state as a whole in terms of land mass but not population. And for those fond of posting pics of mud houses and brown roofs, pls grow up. Those buildings existed during the old oyo empire so they deserve to look old. Do you suggest we demolish them? No, we won't cos they remind us of where we are coming from and where we are going. We don't need to demolish them cos we've got abundance of virgin lands which are where you'll find modern structures. I was wowed by what I saw when I visited ibadan. SEers should pls stop this nonsense d1ck measurement where you act as if what you have is not obtainable elsewhere.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Boko Haram "Writes" Public Schools In Lagos / Youths Attack Shitte Members In Kaduna After Friday Prayers (Photos) / Peter Obi Joins Pdp Governorship Candidate Emeka Ihedioha 2 Campaign In Owerri(p

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.