Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos (145156 Views)

The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Pavore9: 9:59pm On Sep 02, 2014
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 10:50pm On Sep 02, 2014
When you hammer oga mangam don't forget me
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:08am On Sep 03, 2014
Is really wonderul having u here MsSteph, keeping doing the good work by giving Nigerians job links
MsSteph: When you hammer oga mangam don't forget me
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:24pm On Sep 03, 2014
Day 3: No rain yet but hoping it will rain tonite.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:33pm On Sep 03, 2014
I ve a ripe banana in my farm and I never knew.

7 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Juliana7: 9:58pm On Sep 03, 2014
@ op, sir i did not see sowing aspect very well. So, my question is when u were planting d water melon, did u dig (d earth like some inch) plant and cover just as its do in planting maize
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by debola23(f): 4:40am On Sep 04, 2014
Ehen this is the kind of informative topics i like to see on nairaland. Oga Magnam. Im following u seriously.
Thank u for doing this.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:46am On Sep 04, 2014
Juliana7, we planted b4 spraying the herbicide. There are pics of the planting and digging the earth b4 covering it.
Juliana7: @ op, sir i did not see sowing aspect very well. So, my question is when u were planting d water melon, did u dig (d earth like some inch) plant and cover just as its do in planting maize
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Dexpro: 5:02am On Sep 04, 2014
Haba chairman, gaskiya i'm impressed! Ka yi ko'okari ba kar'rami ba. Chi gaba.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Mutuwa(m): 5:18am On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: We are done with the planting and will soon apply herbicide

Appreciate the lesson.itsvery productive and thinking of starting one soon.I have a piece of land at giri junction..ope it will do..and secondly are the seeds hybrid?if yes are the natural ones still available?where is any?thirdly..in your own assessment,how much can one invest reasonably to start on a small scale.
Thanks once more for the enlightenment.. smiley
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:21am On Sep 04, 2014
Ina farin cikin haduwa da kai, na gode
Dexpro: Haba chairman, gaskiya i'm impressed! Ka yi ko'okari ba kar'rami ba. Chi gaba.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:27am On Sep 04, 2014
My place is not too far fro Giri junction. Watermelon is well cultivated around Abuja. My seeds are mixed wit the hybrid and wit as litlle as 20k u can start
Mutuwa:

Appreciate the lesson.itsvery productive and thinking of starting one soon.I have a piece of land at giri junction..ope it will do..and secondly are the seeds hybrid?if yes are the natural ones still available?where is any?thirdly..in your own assessment,how much can one invest reasonably to start on a small scale.
Thanks once more for the enlightenment.. smiley
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Dexpro: 5:31am On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: Ina farin cikin haduwa da kai, na gode
Insha Allah, zani shiga abj anjima ka dan. In'na shigo, zan buga maka waya. Aje'e lembar ka a nan.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by stanliwise(m): 5:39am On Sep 04, 2014
Girls with small oranges should find this tread handy.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Daniel058(m): 6:08am On Sep 04, 2014
Dexpro:
Insha Allah, zani shiga abj anjima ka dan. In'na shigo, zan buga maka waya. Aje'e lembar ka a nan.
make una na no sell anybody here..haba!. Ebri body dey speak Inglish,but u i dey speak AWSA!!..I dey bes!!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by emmaliver(m): 6:09am On Sep 04, 2014
Wow. am so loving this oooo
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by stinggy(m): 6:16am On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: My place is not too far fro Giri junction. Watermelon is well cultivated around Abuja. My seeds are mixed wit the hybrid and wit as litlle as 20k u can start
Very interested in this biz
Bros any idea on where I can get a fertile land for rent, cost?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by semochendo1(m): 6:17am On Sep 04, 2014
With my 2'1 in Agriculture, I'm just learning how easy it is to plant fruits like watermelon. Oga, may God bless you for this, you've added more value to my certificate today. Following with keen interest.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by fun4: 6:22am On Sep 04, 2014
oga Mangam how about Rivers or Bayelsa state? Will it do well because there is a lot of rain in these areas?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by fun4: 6:26am On Sep 04, 2014
fun4: oga Mangam how about Rivers or Bayelsa state? Will it do well because there is a lot of rain in these areas?
and by what time is it proper to start planting there? Thanks
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Pavore9: 6:39am On Sep 04, 2014
MsSteph: When you hammer oga mangam don't forget me
Follow am hustle now o!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Infomizer(m): 7:37am On Sep 04, 2014
Interesting thread Mangam,
Had a lil experience farming kankana (what the Hausas call it) in Bunkure, Kano early this year. The harvest was poor and I can't really point fingers as I was barely around and left it with some mallos to manage. I also failed to carry out serious feasibility studies as I just got carried away by the fact that almost every TomDicknHarry was planting it there, so I didn't envisage much problems. Fast forward 3 months later and almost a 100k gone (yea! see milking), all I had as harvest were not commiserate with expectations. Apart from the fact that the intense sun affected some (the mallos didn't want to harvest in my absence and I was too damn busy in Lag, they said the harvest was poor generally (I can partly attest to this as their Cucumber and Tomato yields in the part of the village I got were also poor). I'll attach pictures later sha. It was a real learning curve then, though I later came to realise that it is planted down south too. I intend doing it again sha but I don't have the time these days and relying on someone else (which I have to) is quite limiting too. I.might keep you guys posted then. Nice one Mangam.

TL;DR
Been there, done that (with no supervision from me coz I left it in the hands of others). It was crazy, expensive, and not as fulfilling as expected. My bad though.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by EhiGid(m): 7:40am On Sep 04, 2014
Nice one @OP
kindly following sir.
Any rainfall yet?[color=#006600][/color]
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 04, 2014
I need to visit this Gosa market!! been hearing about it
@OP, nice one o!!

*waiting for harvest time to pay you a visit* grin
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Latty88(f): 8:10am On Sep 04, 2014
Did you apply the herbicide directly? Or on the sides?

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 04, 2014
Latty88: Did you apply the herbicide directly? Or on the sides?

He applied it in the air. Haba.
The seed was covered with soil so it doesn't matter where you apply it.

All the questions you guys are asking are either in his article or the picture or plain common sense would do.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Coldfeet(f): 8:19am On Sep 04, 2014
I love this! Well done Mangam. Please e-send those bananas abeg lols.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by temzybabe(f): 8:19am On Sep 04, 2014
how did u apply the herbicide? ?..
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by tandj: 8:24am On Sep 04, 2014

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Latty88(f): 8:25am On Sep 04, 2014
NairaMode:

He applied it in the air. Haba.
The seed was covered with soil so it doesn't matter where you apply it.

All the questions you guys are asking are either in his article or the picture or plain common sense would do.

Did I direct my question to you? Why dont you just mind your business. We are all here to learn that is the reason the thread was created.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by touchmeder: 8:28am On Sep 04, 2014
Following. I love planting n watching things grow tho on a small scale
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by igbsam(m): 8:30am On Sep 04, 2014
How long does it take this to grow ? And why are you applying herbicide ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.