Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,752 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos (145055 Views)

The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Kericoo(m): 7:08pm On Sep 08, 2014
MANGAM: It all depends on what the farmer wants. Some pple don't like the hybrid and in some places the hybrid is less expensive compare to the. Local breed. I will advice u plant both but more of the local breeds

Thanks , please is there any way of identifying the local bread in the market before buying the water mellon
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by kolaitan(m): 7:12pm On Sep 08, 2014
MANGAM: Let the counting begin as we await our seeds to germinate. I will be uploading photos as the farm progesses.

1/09/14. Day one after planting and still waiting for rainfall
Boss, please, when u put down d seed; will you cover it? When you spray; will you separate the seed side? Thanks a million times for your unselfish information.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 9:21pm On Sep 08, 2014
Yes, the hybrid watermelon ve green stripe lines on the body of the melon and they look like this below
Kericoo:

Thanks , please is there any way of identifying the local bread in the market before buying the water mellon

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 9:30pm On Sep 08, 2014
U make a hole, put down 2-3 seeds per hole and cover wit soil then u spray the farm wit u seeds planted. The chemical is to kill the intending weed
kolaitan:
Boss, please, when u put down d seed; will you cover it? When you spray; will you separate the seed side? Thanks a million times for your unselfish information.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by EhiGid(m): 6:40am On Sep 09, 2014
lif2uz: judemorfy]ℓ̊'ll check the name of the fertiliza 2moro,bt dont knw how often it shud be aplied,ℓ̊'v only aplied once
tnx bro, please inbox me on: agohvincent@yahoo.com let's talke I'm highly interested moreso, am in Edo State too.

i am also in Edo state, Ekpoma to be specific. Please, i am so interested in this line.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 12:09pm On Sep 09, 2014
EhiGid:

i am also in Edo state, Ekpoma to be specific. Please, i am so interested in this line.
contact me on : jude_omongbale@yahoo.com for more info
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Kericoo(m): 4:07pm On Sep 09, 2014
MANGAM: Yes, the hybrid watermelon ve green stripe lines on the body of the melon and they look like this below

Ok thanks, The Local Ones don't have such strips abi?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:19pm On Sep 09, 2014
Yes,
Kericoo:

Ok thanks, The Local Ones don't have such strips abi?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 6:16pm On Sep 09, 2014
Day 9
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Olubachar(m): 10:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
What is the perfect planting period in Ondo State.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by dgitrader(m): 2:40pm On Sep 10, 2014
Following and my small backyard garden fully activated.
My ten ridges are ready. Planting tomorrow morning. Rained slightly just now. I thought i should plant today but events overshadowed my plans. Op and others, i say thanks for d exposition. I will keep u posted.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by seye15627(m): 7:37pm On Sep 10, 2014
How many melon does a tree produce?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:38pm On Sep 10, 2014
Early October Olubachar
Olubachar: What is the perfect planting period in Ondo State.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by seye15627(m): 7:39pm On Sep 10, 2014
How many melon does a melon tree produce?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:41pm On Sep 10, 2014
Dgitrader, am following u on this one, very impressive. I hope others will be movitavted no matter hw small ur space is, u can do something.
dgitrader: Following and my small backyard garden fully activated.
My ten ridges are ready. Planting tomorrow morning. Rained slightly just now. I thought i should plant today but events overshadowed my plans. Op and others, i say thanks for d exposition. I will keep u posted.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:55pm On Sep 10, 2014
@seye15627, melon don't grow on three, they they grow on vine. Most melons need nutrient-rich soil, plenty of sunshine, and at least 3 to 4 months of warm weather. 3-5 melon fro a vine is a good harvest
seye15627: How many melon does a melon tree produce?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:56pm On Sep 10, 2014
Day 10 and counting
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by dgitrader(m): 11:07am On Sep 11, 2014
MANGAM: Day 10 and counting

Hello
How about starting with this type of improved seedlings.....

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 11:17am On Sep 11, 2014
Pls can u resend the pics
dgitrader:

Hello
How about starting with this type of improved seedlings.....
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
Day 11. Today I ve something to share with us.
1. It rain almost everyday but we need more of sunshine
2. I ve notice some visitors in the farm. Ants eating up the leaves. See photos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
!

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by sholay2011(m): 4:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
^^^^^ Wow! Nice!
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
Sholay2011, 2moro I will visit the Friday Gosa market to get an insectide. Price it last week @1000naira
sholay2011: ^^^^^ Wow! Nice!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by dgitrader(m): 6:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
MANGAM: Day 11. Today I ve something to share with us.
1. It rain almost everyday but we need more of sunshine
2. I ve notice some visitors in the farm. Ants eating up the leaves. See photos

i also learnt that lizards too are hazardious to watermelon. but i dont know if its the leaves or balls they go after.
we are learning per day.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by dgitrader(m): 6:32pm On Sep 11, 2014
MANGAM: Pls can u resend the pics

i once saw a sachet of melon seeds by TECHNISEM. hoping to go back and get a snapshot. i will keep u posted. here
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 6:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
We learn everyday dgitrader. I will spray quickly b4 it spread
dgitrader:

i also learnt that lizards too are hazardious to watermelon. but i dont know if its the leaves or balls they go after.
we are learning per day.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by sholay2011(m): 8:37pm On Sep 11, 2014
MANGAM: Sholay2011, 2moro I will visit the Friday Gosa market to get an insectide. Price it last week @1000naira
Good.

The water melon leaves must be damn tasty like a poster once mentioned on this thread then. grin

E ku ise.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by dgitrader(m): 6:12am On Sep 12, 2014
MANGAM: We learn everyday dgitrader. I will spray quickly b4 it spread

# Vanpascore , kindly share your esperience.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by dgitrader(m): 6:14am On Sep 12, 2014
lif2uz: Thanks very much for opening this thread bro, I learnt that the leaves of the W/mellon is so tasty, and that attract insects to feed on them thereby making the plant nt to do well. And that there is need to apply insecticide; how true is that, if true what type of insecticide is used for it and when to apply it?

You were accurate.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 6:52am On Sep 12, 2014
Very accurate
dgitrader:

You were accurate.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 8:32am On Sep 12, 2014
dgitrader:

You were accurate.
I used cypeforce for mine,n its vry active infact action starts a day after use n i'll advice yu spray evry 2weks cus at the 3rd wek mine wz attacked again so i had to spray again
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 8:34am On Sep 12, 2014
MANGAM: Very accurate
i told yu,yu'll need to spray an insecticide remember

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.