Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos (145103 Views)

The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:32pm On Sep 05, 2014
Maize will be a good idea
lif2uz: Is it adviceable to plant watermelon along with other crops like maiz and cocoyam(mixed croping) on a piece of land?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:34pm On Sep 05, 2014
Pls kindly share pics of ur farm wit us
prettiest1: I am interested. Since I am in Akwa Ibom which you said should be done in October, still have some weeks to make the land available and ready. I will like to contact you when I am ready. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:40pm On Sep 05, 2014
I just got the hybrid watermelon from the popular Gosa Market along airport road, Abuja

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:42pm On Sep 05, 2014

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Katier00(f): 5:08pm On Sep 05, 2014
MANGAM: Thank u, am in Abuja.
can i visit your farm sir?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:15pm On Sep 05, 2014
Anytime @ talk2manga@yahoo.com
Katier00: can i visit your farm sir?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by roxell120(m): 5:22pm On Sep 05, 2014
@op any hope for we in anambra state?our area seems out of discussion here. heavy rain go gree me plant am here?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by prettiest1(f): 5:36pm On Sep 05, 2014
MANGAM: Pls kindly share pics of ur farm wit us
No problem. Will do that when I start it.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Katier00(f): 5:57pm On Sep 05, 2014
MANGAM: Anytime @ talk2manga@yahoo.com
thanks sir
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 6:49pm On Sep 05, 2014
Day 5: No rain yet
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 6:51pm On Sep 05, 2014
U can start planting by ending september
roxell120: @op any hope for we in anambra state?our area seems out of discussion here. heavy rain go gree me plant am here?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 9:22pm On Sep 05, 2014
Presently raining
MANGAM: Day 5: No rain yet
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by sholay2011(m): 10:10pm On Sep 05, 2014
MANGAM: Presently raining
That's good. I am following this thread badly. Nice one bro.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 10:28pm On Sep 05, 2014
Thank u sholay
sholay2011:
That's good. I am following this thread badly. Nice one bro.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by lif2uz(m): 8:32am On Sep 06, 2014
MANGAM]Maize will be a good idea
ok tnx.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Azo(m): 8:45am On Sep 06, 2014
The most reasonable thread in a while...

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by irukandji89(m): 8:54am On Sep 06, 2014
@OP

Kudos to you Sir.
I just clicked the 'follow' link cuz I like this topic.

But I noticed that I dnt get email notification for new posts on nairaland threads.

How do I remedy this?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Kericoo(m): 1:17pm On Sep 06, 2014
MANGAM: By elyjay

Watermelon, citrullus lanatus rank third among the world highly cultivated crops, superseded only by potato and tomato in that order. In fact planting watermelon made me become lazy and mono cropper. Before I started planting watermelon, my chief crops were maize, cassava, yam, cocoyam and rice. But after planting watermelon for two years, I abandoned other crops and concentrated on watermelon till today.
When you are considering quick cash in farming, watermelon is among the crops to consider. The gestation is not more than 80 days, money don come. Kudi yaazo. Cultivated all over tropical climate the largest producers are China, Turkey, Iran, Brazil and U. S. A. in that order. It is produced all over in Nigeria from Maiduguri to Lagos and from Sokoto to Calabar.

Time of planting In southern Nigeria
We have three planting seasons: Early planting is in March, Mid season planting and the most lucrative but risky is June 25 to July 15. Late season planting is August 15 to September 15 in Kwara Oyo and northern parts of Ogun state. Planting in south Ogun, that is Ilaro, Ifo, Ota, Idiropo to Badagry in Lagos is September 15 to October 15. This is
because late rains last till December in these areas.
In the Northern Parts; early season planting is in May and late season planting is July. But with functional irrigation in the north, they are able to plant throughout the year .Lake chad basin in Bornu, Hadeja river basin in Kano are the major irrigation projects turning out watermelon all year round in Nigeria. I am aware that when the price goes so high watermelon is imported into Nigeria from Niger, Chad, Benin and Togo republics.

LAND PREPARATION
Watermelon requires loamy soil or silt loam soil it also perform well on heavy soil if it is well-drained. It does not tolerate waterlogging at all. So if planting on heavy soil, ridging will be helpful to improve drainage. On loamy soil, we normally plant on the flat land. Plowing starts immediately on the first rain. Even if the first rain comes in January, plow the land ready for the second operation.
If the second rain comes any time after February 15th, we can plant in Lagos and southern parts of Ogun state. In other parts, Igbogila, Ayetoro, Abeokuta, Odeda and all parts of Oyo state should plant in March. Planting should stop by the end of March. If you risk planting in very early April, you may succeed but if the June rain should start before 15th of June forget it. The tendency is that either the melon will not ripe or you loose a lot to blossom and it rots. Maturity takes a minimum of 75 days. On the second rain or within the stipulated time, harrow or replow and plant immediately. Experience has shown that portions planted immediately after plowing records higher germination percentage than portions planted the following day unless there is overnight rain.

Op Thanks for the great info you are sharing here, please what of People in the East, Enugu state can this do well in My State?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:10pm On Sep 06, 2014
Day 6: We had rain throughout today. Will share pics soon of the farm
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:12pm On Sep 06, 2014
Welcome Kericoo, watermelon grow very well in the eastm. U can plant from early October to mid October
Kericoo:

Op Thanks for the great info you are sharing here, please what of People in the East, Enugu state can this do well in My State?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by sholay2011(m): 7:16pm On Sep 06, 2014
MANGAM: Day 6: We had rain throughout today. Will share pics soon of the farm
Nice! We are waiting.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Kericoo(m): 11:46pm On Sep 06, 2014
MANGAM: Welcome Kericoo, watermelon grow very well in the eastm. U can plant from early October to mid October

Ok thanks, wl give it a try
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by dollydolly(f): 10:51am On Sep 07, 2014
Kindly following even though the chances of my practicing it is very slim. Kudos to d Op.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:17pm On Sep 07, 2014
Day 7: Today the farm is 7days old and counting down to 73days for harvesting.
Today was a very sunny day and this is good for watermelon as the sun will dry up the many water in the soil

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 10:11pm On Sep 07, 2014
I want to share pics of the hybrid watermelon seeds and the local breed seeds. The hybrid are biger in size and more darker in color.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 10:13pm On Sep 07, 2014
Hybrid seeds

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 10:15pm On Sep 07, 2014
Local breed

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Kericoo(m): 7:31am On Sep 08, 2014
MANGAM: Local breed

So which one is the best for planting? The Hybrid or Local one?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 10:04am On Sep 08, 2014
MANGAM: Local breed
please how cn i get that hybrid seed
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:46pm On Sep 08, 2014
It all depends on what the farmer wants. Some pple don't like the hybrid and in some places the hybrid is less expensive compare to the. Local breed. I will advice u plant both but more of the local breeds
Kericoo:

So which one is the best for planting? The Hybrid or Local one?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:48pm On Sep 08, 2014
U can get the hybrid seeds in ur agro shop or buy one and preserve the seeds
judemorfy: please how cn i get that hybrid seed
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:53pm On Sep 08, 2014
Day 8: See how the young melon are doing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.