Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos - Agriculture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos (145147 Views)

The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by world1(m): 10:16pm On Oct 05, 2014
Onikanhun:
Pls, how do I need to start d full scale of planting of water Mellon
I can help you.
Generating amazing wealth with watermelon cultivation.

Growing watermelon, amazingly, requires minimal cost, but a very high propensity to make a farmer generate wealth in less than three months and break away from poverty.

It is one of the highly cultivated and consumed crops believed to have originated almost 5,000 years ago from the Kalahari Desert of Africa.

When you consider quick cash in farming, watermelon is among the crops to plant. The gestation is 70 and 90 days (depending on varieties), average days for maize and sweet potatoes.

Cultivated all over tropical climate, it is produced all over in Nigeria but at different periods for optimal bumper harvest.

Time of planting
Watermelon is best planted at the outset of the raining season or when the raining season is almost done. This would allow for low relative humidity, a condition essential for normal growth of the crop in southern Nigeria. In the northern parts, he said, early season planting is in May and late season planting is July. But with functional irrigation in the north, it could be planted round the year, accounting for why it is usually brought from the north.

Land preparation
Watermelon can be planted on flat land or on ridges/plant beds depending on the nature of the soil. According the plant physiologist, if the water table level is high (in the core raining season), seed beds or ridges are essential. It requires loamy soil or silt loam soil and it also performs well on heavy soil if it is well drained. It does not tolerate water logging and so, if planted on heavy soil, ridging will be helpful to improve drainage. On loamy soil, it is usually planted on the flat land.

Harvest
One way to determine when watermelon is ripe is to watch the tendril closest to the melon stem. A tendril is a modified leaf or stem in the shape of slender, spirally coil. When it turns brown and dries up, the melon is ripe. The trouble with this method is that with some watermelon varieties, the tendril dries and drops off more than a week before the melon is fully ripe. The surest sign of ripeness in most watermelon varieties is the color of the bottom spot where the melon sits on the ground. As the watermelon matures, the spot turns from almost white to a rich yellow. Also, all watermelons lose the powdery or slick appearance on the top and take on a dull look when fully ripe.

Capital requirement
planting one hectare (15 plots of land) of watermelon would require about N190,000. Breaking the cost down.
land clearing, plowing and harrowing one hectare mechanically would cost about N20,000
seeds, N50,000
planting and weeding labour would cost N34,000
fertilizer (four bags and application labour) and N30,000
Insecticide, application labour, N20,000
sprayer N10,000 and other expenses, N20,000.

Yield potential and marketing
On one hectare of land, 10,000 seeds can be planted using 1metre by 1metre spacing, of 10,000 watermelon seeds are successfully grown, each will produce at least two big fruits if fertilizer is properly applied and weeds controlled at the appropriate time. So, no fewer than 20,000 watermelons would be harvested on one hectare of land, all things being equal.

According to street value survey of watermelon, a mini truck containing 500 units of the product is sold for N50,000. Dividing 20,000 estimated harvest by 500 would make 40 mini trucks of watermelon. Multiplying this by N50,000 would mean N2 million. This is the minimum estimate.

Marketing watermelon, is easier, as many bulk buyers about in major cities, especially at fruits market. You can also sell the produce to supermarkets and local fruit retailers.

We have the seedless watermelon for planting.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by roxell120(m): 12:50pm On Oct 06, 2014
MANGAM:
Day 35: happy to hear ur melons ve germinated and watch them closely so that insects wil not invade them. When u sense any, fumigate ur farm
@magnam,how does insect affect water melon
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by LONGFELLOW02(m): 2:16pm On Oct 06, 2014
world1:

I can help you.
Generating amazing wealth with watermelon cultivation.

Growing watermelon, amazingly, requires minimal cost, but a very high propensity to make a farmer generate wealth in less than three months and break away from poverty.

It is one of the highly cultivated and consumed crops believed to have originated almost 5,000 years ago from the Kalahari Desert of Africa.

When you consider quick cash in farming, watermelon is among the crops to plant. The gestation is 70 and 90 days (depending on varieties), average days for maize and sweet potatoes.

Cultivated all over tropical climate, it is produced all over in Nigeria but at different periods for optimal bumper harvest.

Time of planting
Watermelon is best planted at the outset of the raining season or when the raining season is almost done. This would allow for low relative humidity, a condition essential for normal growth of the crop in southern Nigeria. In the northern parts, he said, early season planting is in May and late season planting is July. But with functional irrigation in the north, it could be planted round the year, accounting for why it is usually brought from the north.

Land preparation
Watermelon can be planted on flat land or on ridges/plant beds depending on the nature of the soil. According the plant physiologist, if the water table level is high (in the core raining season), seed beds or ridges are essential. It requires loamy soil or silt loam soil and it also performs well on heavy soil if it is well drained. It does not tolerate water logging and so, if planted on heavy soil, ridging will be helpful to improve drainage. On loamy soil, it is usually planted on the flat land.

Harvest
One way to determine when watermelon is ripe is to watch the tendril closest to the melon stem. A tendril is a modified leaf or stem in the shape of slender, spirally coil. When it turns brown and dries up, the melon is ripe. The trouble with this method is that with some watermelon varieties, the tendril dries and drops off more than a week before the melon is fully ripe. The surest sign of ripeness in most watermelon varieties is the color of the bottom spot where the melon sits on the ground. As the watermelon matures, the spot turns from almost white to a rich yellow. Also, all watermelons lose the powdery or slick appearance on the top and take on a dull look when fully ripe.

Capital requirement
planting one hectare (15 plots of land) of watermelon would require about N190,000. Breaking the cost down.
land clearing, plowing and harrowing one hectare mechanically would cost about N20,000
seeds, N50,000
planting and weeding labour would cost N34,000
fertilizer (four bags and application labour) and N30,000
Insecticide, application labour, N20,000
sprayer N10,000 and other expenses, N20,000.

Yield potential and marketing
On one hectare of land, 10,000 seeds can be planted using 1metre by 1metre spacing, of 10,000 watermelon seeds are successfully grown, each will produce at least two big fruits if fertilizer is properly applied and weeds controlled at the appropriate time. So, no fewer than 20,000 watermelons would be harvested on one hectare of land, all things being equal.

According to street value survey of watermelon, a mini truck containing 500 units of the product is sold for N50,000. Dividing 20,000 estimated harvest by 500 would make 40 mini trucks of watermelon. Multiplying this by N50,000 would mean N2 million. This is the minimum estimate.

Marketing watermelon, is easier, as many bulk buyers about in major cities, especially at fruits market. You can also sell the produce to supermarkets and local fruit retailers.

We have the seedless watermelon for planting.

Hw True is this @mangam or this dude is an info marketer dat doesn't practice what he preach
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:40pm On Oct 06, 2014
@roxell120, the leaves are very juicy to insects. They feed mostly on the leaves and even the roots.
roxell120:
@magnam,how does insect affect water melon
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:49pm On Oct 06, 2014
"According to street value survey of watermelon, a mini truck containing 500 units of the product is sold for N50,000. Dividing 20,000 estimated harvest by 500 would make 40 mini trucks of watermelon. Multiplying this by N50,000 would mean N2 million. This is the minimum estimat"e.
LONGFELLOW02:

Hw True is this @mangam or this dude is an info marketer dat doesn't practice what he preach

Last year I had 3 truck load of water melon and each was sold for 40k. Water melon is a very profitable agri. Venture which doesn't require much capital

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:52pm On Oct 06, 2014
Day 36

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by mogentle(m): 9:20pm On Oct 06, 2014
@MAGNAM, thanks. Pls, which insecticide is preferrable for WMLM and what's the mixing rate?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by mogentle(m): 7:02am On Oct 07, 2014
@MAGNAM, I also made a bed heap on which I planted about 100 seeds 'cos of time factor. I'm hoping to transplant them carefully later since I've not finished preparing all the land. This will make them to mature at almost same time with the ones I'm planting now. Hope it makes sense. & when is it really proper to transplant? though I know one has to be very careful 'cos of tender nature of the stem.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 07, 2014
can watermellon still be planted by dec?
currently negotiatng for 1 hectare of land . am planting plantain with 3 by 3 spacing but may be intercropping with water melon.

i noticed the farms there had very big overhead tanks. i gues its to help them plant crops during dry season.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 07, 2014
@magnam, i cant wait to see ur water mellon enter fruiting stage.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 8:50am On Oct 07, 2014
How are ur plantains?
mercylicious:
@magnam, i cant wait to see ur water mellon enter fruiting stage.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by israelbenzion: 1:46pm On Oct 07, 2014
MANGAM:
How are ur plantains?

@Mangam: how do I contact you privately?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by LONGFELLOW02(m): 2:56pm On Oct 07, 2014
MANGAM:
"According to street value survey of watermelon, a mini truck containing 500 units of the product is sold for N50,000. Dividing 20,000 estimated harvest by 500 would make 40 mini trucks of watermelon. Multiplying this by N50,000 would mean N2 million. This is the minimum estimat"e.

Last year I had 3 truck load of water melon and each was sold for 40k. Water melon is a very profitable agri. Venture which doesn't require much capital

Ok that's very close. . Boss pls can you gv us total estimate of hw much you spend on Farm that gv you 3truck.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by mogentle(m): 3:38pm On Oct 07, 2014
mogentle:
@MAGNAM & Co, thanks. Pls, which insecticide is preferrable for Water Melon and what's the mixing rate?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by mogentle(m): 3:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
Can DD Force or Rocket be used to fumigate the farm?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by LONGFELLOW02(m): 5:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
mogentle:
Can DD Force or Rocket be used to fumigate the farm?

Use kombart
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 8:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
@talk2manga@yahoo.com
israelbenzion:

@Mangam: how do I contact you privately?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 8:26pm On Oct 07, 2014
About 28-30k was spent. 20k for ridges making while 8k was used for both herbicides and spraying.
LONGFELLOW02:

Ok that's very close. . Boss pls can you gv us total estimate of hw much you spend on Farm that gv you 3truck.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by world1(m): 8:27pm On Oct 07, 2014
LONGFELLOW02:

Am a big time agribusiness consultant what ever I tell you is 100% authentic.
You can check me out. Agribusiness is a serious matter not for fainted hearth. Practical is different from theory.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 8:27pm On Oct 07, 2014
Day 37
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by laksyde100(m): 12:40pm On Oct 08, 2014
Pls mangam can planting still be made on or before October 30? Better still endeavour to tell me the exact times of planting water melon in Ibadan all thru the year. Thanks

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 12:44pm On Oct 08, 2014
Do u ve rainfall in Ibadan til 30th December?
laksyde100:
Pls mangam can planting still be made on or before October 30? Better still endeavour to tell me the exact times of planting water melon in Ibadan all thru the year. Thanks
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by laksyde100(m): 12:47pm On Oct 08, 2014
MANGAM:
Do u ve rainfall in Ibadan til 30th December?

No
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 1:27pm On Oct 08, 2014
U can plant btw one now and next wk. The morning dew will help by dec and harvest by mid jan.
laksyde100:

No
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 4:15pm On Oct 08, 2014
Day 38: am losing more melons and can't tell y

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by aminu150(m): 5:39pm On Oct 08, 2014
@mangam what is happening? This is the second time. Others please what may b the cause of the melons dieing?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:42pm On Oct 08, 2014
@aminu150, I really don't know the cause. I think is the soil type. Pls can anybody help me out as I can't stand seeing them die b4 my eyes.
aminu150:
@mangam what is happening? This is the second time. Others please what may b the cause of the melons dieing?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by LONGFELLOW02(m): 7:49pm On Oct 08, 2014
world1:

Am a big time agribusiness consultant what ever I tell you is 100% authentic.
You can check me out. Agribusiness is a serious matter not for fainted hearth. Practical is different from theory.

boss wat could be the prob of why mangam Mellon is diein

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by iiichidodo: 9:56pm On Oct 08, 2014
Can't stand to see a fellow brother in distress even though we had this urge to mind our bizness but looking at the location and topogragphy...We can conclude this here is a virulent case of fusarium wilt..a poor shame that not only is there nothing you can do but it is still likely to get much worse as the rains are still here and your farm is not well drained.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by mogentle(m): 1:00am On Oct 09, 2014
@Magnam, did you observe if the roots are eaten? I'm thinking it would be burrowing/soil insects that feed on the roots if it's not wilt.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by roxell120(m): 7:18pm On Oct 09, 2014
the farm looks like an erosion site from a distance.i feel it cud be d cause. The needed nutrients seem washed away.ridges reduced to d ground.add compost manure or animal dung if i may suggest.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by world1(m): 8:34pm On Oct 09, 2014
Whaoo this is serious. Seeing this for the first time I think its termite.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (24) (Reply)

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.