Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,861 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos - Agriculture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos (145222 Views)

The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Soloxam(m): 8:18am On Dec 01, 2014
@Pappysheo, yes. Pls try and apply fertilizer to help ur plant produce big fruits cos they are heavy feeder, just like maize.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by bankot123: 8:03am On Dec 07, 2014
Great work mangam and pappyshoe! pls is it possible to plant twice in a year. @ soloxam, at what stage do you apply fertilizer. is it after fruiting? pls shed more light.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Pappyshoes(m): 8:53pm On Dec 08, 2014
Soloxam:
@Pappysheo, yes. Pls try and apply fertilizer to help ur plant produce big fruits cos they are heavy feeder, just like maize.
Thanks bro, but do you know how I can get NPK fertilizer to buy in Ibadan?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Pappyshoes(m): 9:38pm On Dec 08, 2014
bankot123:
Great work mangam and pappyshoe! pls is it possible to plant twice in a year. @ soloxam, at what stage do you apply fertilizer. is it after fruiting? pls shed more light.
Yes, months of March and Sept-October.
@sloxam, over to you.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Soloxam(m): 5:58pm On Dec 09, 2014
Pappyshoes:

Thanks bro, but do you know how I can get NPK fertilizer to buy in Ibadan?
@ pappyshoes yes just contact me via the number on my signature......
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Soloxam(m): 6:08pm On Dec 09, 2014
Pappyshoes:

Yes, months of March and Sept-October.
@sloxam, over to you.
@ bankot, I recommend you fertilizer twice, 1st at 3WAP, and 2nd 6WAP,If your farm is properly manage, ur plant would ave started fruiting @6WAP. Then the nutrient will help the plant.......
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Pappyshoes(m): 11:55pm On Dec 09, 2014
Soloxam:
@ pappyshoes yes just contact me via the number on my signature......
ok, thanks.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by LONGFELLOW02(m): 1:02pm On Dec 12, 2014
@Pappyshoe hw is ur Mellon doing?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Soloxam(m): 8:40pm On Dec 12, 2014
Pappyshoes:

ok, thanks.
Uwc sir.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Pappyshoes(m): 10:59pm On Dec 14, 2014
LONGFELLOW02:
@Pappyshoe hw is ur Mellon doing?
Thanks, they are increasing in size. But I had a scary experience. I'm still thinking of what the cause could be.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Soloxam(m): 5:48am On Dec 15, 2014
Pappyshoes:

Thanks, they are increasing in size. But I had a scary experience. I'm still thinking of what the cause could be.
what was It may be some one can help.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Pappyshoes(m): 6:17am On Dec 15, 2014
Soloxam:
what was It may be some one can help.
Thanks @soloxam, I got to the farm and I saw these; some of the melons(F1 Koloss) are bursting.

cc: MANGAM, world1, kalusam, LONGFELLOW02, Ichidodo, jasper7 et al.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Pappyshoes(m): 7:15am On Dec 15, 2014
More...

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by CarewAye(m): 8:36am On Dec 15, 2014
Pappyshoes:

Thanks @soloxam, I got to the farm and I saw these; some of the melons(F1 Koloss) are bursting.

1. The most common cause for a bursting watermelon is erratic watering. Whether it’s due to poor irrigation practices or drought followed by heavy rain, excessive accumulation of water can put the fruit under a lot of pressure. When the soil becomes dry, the fruit forms a tight skin in order to prevent moisture loss. However, once a sudden surge in water returns, the skin expands. As a result, the watermelon bursts.

2. Another possibility, in addition to water, is heat. Water pressure within the fruit can build up when it gets too hot, causing the melons to split open. One way to help alleviate splitting is by adding straw mulch, which will help retain moisture in the soil and insulate plants. Adding shade covers during excessively hot periods may help too.

3. Finally, this may be attributed to certain cultivars as well. Some varieties of watermelon may simply be more prone to splitting than others. In fact, many thin-rind types, such as Icebox, have even been nicknamed “exploding melon” for this reason.

@Pappyshoes, i hope the above information help you figure out what could have been the cause of splitting on your farm.

Regards

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by ichidodo: 8:42am On Dec 15, 2014
Pappyshoes:

Same here.... lack or erratic watering Is the main culprit. .

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Kalusam(m): 9:04am On Dec 15, 2014
Pappyshoes:

@Pappyshoes, am saddened at seeing this. This article will assist you and anyone going into WM on how to control this, www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/watermelon/watermelon-splitting.htm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Soloxam(m): 12:07pm On Dec 15, 2014
CarewAye:

1. The most common cause for a bursting watermelon is erratic watering. Whether it’s due to poor irrigation practices or drought followed by heavy rain, excessive accumulation of water can put the fruit under a lot of pressure. When the soil becomes dry, the fruit forms a tight skin in order to prevent moisture loss. However, once a sudden surge in water returns, the skin expands. As a result, the watermelon bursts.

2. Another possibility, in addition to water, is heat. Water pressure within the fruit can build up when it gets too hot, causing the melons to split open. One way to help alleviate splitting is by adding straw mulch, which will help retain moisture in the soil and insulate plants. Adding shade covers during excessively hot periods may help too.

3. Finally, this may be attributed to certain cultivars as well. Some varieties of watermelon may simply be more prone to splitting than others. In fact, many thin-rind types, such as Icebox, have even been nicknamed “exploding melon” for this reason.

@Pappyshoes, i hope the above information help you figure out what could have been the cause of splitting on your farm.

Regards
The above mention point are factors that cause WM bursting, I will still suggest u remove the affected fruits away from the field to prevent multiplication of pest and fungi within the field....

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Pappyshoes(m): 1:48pm On Dec 15, 2014
@CarewAye, ichidodo, soloxam, kalusam.
Thank you all, i'm grateful. It actually happened after that rain that fell last week in Ogun state after a long break.
But, does that mean that apart from mulching, one has to keep irrigating/watering (lightly) even while the fruits are developing so that sudden arrival of rain will not be a shock?

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by ichidodo: 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2014
Pappyshoes:
@CarewAye, ichidodo, soloxam, kalusam.
Thank you all, i'm grateful. It actually happened after that rain that fell last week in Ogun state after a long break.
But, does that mean that apart from mulching, one has to keep irrigating/watering (lightly) even while the fruits are developing so that sudden arrival of rain will not be a shock?
Yeah,The osmotic pressure in the melons or plants must be stable and not erratic at all times.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by aydsmart: 1:35am On Jan 06, 2015
@Pappyshoe; we never heard the result of your wm farm. How did it turnout eventually?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by DICON2: 6:48am On Jan 17, 2015
Vanpascore:
Weldone OP, I love this thread and i say kudos to you. In addition pls, those of you asking for where to get d seed, u can buy a big water melon, cut into two and keep it somewhere for 3-4 days to ferment, get the seed there, wash with water to separate the seed from d decayed rubbish and sun dry as directed by the OP

DO NOT PLANT THE SEED THAT HAS MIXED WITH SALIVA, IT WILL NOT GROW.
what if sun dried after mixibg with saliva?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Vanpascore(m): 7:38am On Jan 17, 2015
DICON2:

i cant say on dat, but in wet, it won't germinate. But how can d dried seed be mixed wt saliva?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Soloxam(m): 7:22am On Jan 18, 2015
DICON2:
why worrying urself washing seed from fruit u don't know it source when u can get improved and well treated and high yielding seeds at affordable price. Pls if ur are farming, ur no. One success is ur seeds, so if u are planting get a good seed.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by 419forlife: 7:30am On Jan 18, 2015
If you need seeds @ Nutrition4Naija

We do have suppliers.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Jesusbaby6(f): 9:11am On Jan 23, 2015
Soloxam:
why worrying urself washing seed from fruit u don't know it source when u can get improved and well treated and high yielding seeds at affordable price. Pls if ur are farming, ur no. One success is ur seeds, so if u are planting get a good seed.

How much is watermelon and tomato seeds?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Soloxam(m): 8:18pm On Jan 23, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

How much is watermelon and tomato seeds?
we have verities so price vary, 50g koloss f1 is 1600, Tomatoes are of various veritie. So it depend on which verities u want, call me when u are ready.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by senato123(m): 9:18am On Jan 27, 2015
Soloxam could u do a brief run ur varieties n features n which would u appraise as best seed. Adding cost ain't bad.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Soloxam(m): 10:27pm On Jan 27, 2015
senato123:
Soloxam could u do a brief run ur varieties n features n which would u appraise as best seed. Adding cost ain't bad.
@Senato, as regards the seed verities: we have water melon koloss f1, it pack in 50gs, Kolack is pack in 500g,100g and 10g, sugar baby is as well pack the same way kaolack is packed, we have chalenstine gray, it the oblong type pack in 100g, Tomato verieties we have open pollinated and Hybrids, the open pollinated are packed in 100g and 10g, the verities available now are, tomato Tropimech,uc82b,Roman vf,Roman savanah,Tima,Rio grand de,Buffalo. The hybrid verities are tomato Jaguar f1, Lindo F1,cobra f1,Nadira F1, panthern 17f1, copernic f1,kiara f1, Thorgal f1, kelvin f1. These verities all have specific season u can plant them, reason because the are resistance to different kind of disease which are always peculiar to a particular season, so when you come to us we tell u what to plant at a point in time, and they are some that can be planted any time of the year.......m As regards the price I can't mention now because the price list for the year is not out now so I won't want to be quoted that you told us a price and now we are ready to buy u are given us another price, am very sure there will surely be increment in price, and am sure u too knows the reason, increase in dollar rate....... But as at last year price list the hybrids tomato if u are buy in bulk its sold for 6k/50g, retails is 6500, u have minimal of 15000 seeds, the open pollinated, bulk 1900/100g, retail 2000 minimal of 30000seeds. Pls the price will change, am very sure about that the management are working on it. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by mitnick(m): 1:11pm On Jan 28, 2015
Hello house pls I need to know can I get good varieties of seed @ NIHORT in ibadan??
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by excess4luv: 7:29pm On Feb 08, 2015
My local breed watermelon has germinate after 8days, am still observing
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by nennin(m): 6:57am On Feb 09, 2015
pls house i need help on how to farm watermelon pls help me thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (24) (Reply)

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.