Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,850 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos - Agriculture (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos (145149 Views)

The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Belexy(m): 9:07am On May 06, 2015
Denn:
My water melon test plot

Hello sir, what spacing did u use on ur plot or how do ur recommend i space my water melon? Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Denn(m): 11:53am On May 06, 2015
Belexy:

Hello sir, what spacing did u use on ur plot or how do ur recommend i space my water melon? Thanks.

My spacing was wrong.

I had 3 feet intervals instead of 6 feet.

I had to uproot half.

Go with 6ft
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Belexy(m): 12:35pm On May 06, 2015
Denn:

My spacing was wrong.

I had 3 feet intervals instead of 6 feet.

I had to uproot half.

Go with 6ft

Thank you sir. Wow... Dats quite alot of spacing.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by mcash: 7:22am On May 20, 2015
kudos to guys in d House. pls can watermelon be planted ds late may. or early next month. and can u pls explain agricultural land measurement. one hectares and acre. thanks .. resides in Ilorin
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by AKAMDEALS(m): 5:24pm On May 20, 2015
Why did you still apply BUSHFIRE after tilled/brush the farm?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by AKAMDEALS(m): 5:27pm On May 20, 2015
If you need hybrid/treated watermelon seed call 08139649165
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Ammc(m): 2:37pm On May 27, 2015
Pls, I would like to contact you because of my plans of setting up watermelon farm. Can I get your mobile contact please?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Bluescape01(m): 9:17am On Jun 16, 2015
Pls I want to go into watermelon farming as well,but with the assistance of a well experienced farmer &someone who would market the products....willing to put in the finance.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Neduzze5(m): 1:37pm On Jun 16, 2015
Bluescape01:
Pls I want to go into watermelon farming as well,but with the assistance of a well experienced farmer &someone who would market the products....willing to put in the finance.

I'm starting a small test run watermelon farm soon. We can talk better via email or whatsapp. You can pm me for my details out drop your whatsapp number here.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by babatv: 2:10pm On Jun 25, 2015
I love this thread and i will like to know if i can plant watermelon anytime of the year?If yes or no please let me know the time that is perfect to plant.
And i will like to know i can plant the seed i got from the once i bought from malam?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by EmmaAjayi(m): 6:48am On Jun 28, 2015
Now that rain has started and will be more than needed between now and August, is it advisable to plant in September since harvest is expected to happen in December?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Neduzze5(m): 9:19am On Jun 28, 2015
EmmaAjayi:
Now that rain has started and will be more than needed between now and August, is it advisable to plant in September since harvest is expected to happen in December?

Yeah... September is more optimum for planting
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by pragmatistm(m): 2:39am On Jul 31, 2015
Great thread. Planning to plant water melon this september on my two plots of land.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by pragmatistm(m): 2:44am On Jul 31, 2015
babatv:
I love this thread and i will like to know if i can plant watermelon anytime of the year?If yes or no please let me know the time that is perfect to plant.
And i will like to know i can plant the seed i got from the once i bought from malam?
It depends on rainfall pattern in your area. You can read the opening post of the op to see the time of planting in many areas.

To get the seeds frim water melon you should not eat and remiove them with your mouth because they said the seeds won't germinate like that. So you will open up the melon and remove the seeds manually. Collect the seeds and dry in the sun for 3 days on a tray or on cement floor. You are good to start planting with those seeds.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by pragmatistm(m): 2:54am On Jul 31, 2015
mcash:
kudos to guys in d House. pls can watermelon be planted ds late may. or early next month. and can u pls explain agricultural land measurement. one hectares and acre. thanks .. resides in Ilorin
Planting time depends on rainfall pattern in your area. You can read the opening post of the op to see the time of planting in many areas.

An acre is about 0.4047 hectare and one hectare contains about 2.47 acres . An acre equals equals to 43560 square feet. One hectare equals to 10,000 square meters.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Neduzze5(m): 7:53am On Jul 31, 2015
pragmatistm:
It depends on rainfall pattern in your area. You can read the opening post of the op to see the time of planting in many areas.

To get the seeds frim water melon you should not eat and remiove them with your mouth because they said the seeds won't germinate like that. So you will open up the melon and remove the seeds manually. Collect the seeds and dry in the sun for 3 days on a tray or on cement floor. You are good to start planting with those seeds.

You can actually plant it without drying. Planted mine that way and they all germinated and are doing well.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by ekamavictor(m): 8:20am On Jul 31, 2015
cheesy ;DWow, what a thread!!! Practical, educative and informative. Read from page 0 to page 19 wtout missing any vital info.
My note is full already.
Iya kufurat, giv me one orubebe to ginga ma swagger and sharpaly meet me for backyard. I dey go clear d bush. We go eat water melon soon. grin grin grin
Thanks to magnum for creating this thread, thanks to everyone who asked salient questions,
Thanks to experts who gav dia advise and also thanks to all dos who used dis thread to advertise dia products. God will reward u better dan dos who use every opportunity to reap people of frm sales of E book. If u are here, gerara here for real.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by millhouse: 8:53am On Jul 31, 2015
Ty
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by pragmatistm(m): 1:38pm On Jul 31, 2015
Neduzze5:

You can actually plant it without drying. Planted mine that way and they all germinated and are doing well.
Correct. Good of you.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by greenmatorganic: 10:34am On Aug 13, 2015
MANGAM:
About 28-30k was spent. 20k for ridges making while 8k was used for both herbicides and spraying.

Please @Mangam what size of land yielded the 3 trucks of WM that you sold at 40k each, last year many thanks in anticipation
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by greenmatorganic: 10:45am On Aug 13, 2015
khayce:
pls here is my email: Albertsina61@gmail.com.... I will like to have ur phone no,

A lot of people choose to be lazy, when anyone bumps into the middle of a long thread for your own personal growth and self development, as well as being informed to make sound judgment on your own personal farming journey.

Its best adviseable to read the thread from the beginning than letting the @Op suffer needlessly. Stop pushing @Magman too far for his kindness & generosity

Invest in yourself the way his investing in everyone, meet him in the middle, do your own part to lessen his burden.

Thanks for your cooperation
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by greenmatorganic: 10:48am On Aug 13, 2015
Pappyshoes:
Day 21: This is F1 Koloss variety, fruit can weigh as high as 10-12Kg. It's one of the biggest hybrid varieties around.

You really do have a great fertile loomy soil @Pappyshoes best for growing WM and other crops, this soil type would have saved #Magnam from a lot of trouble

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by greenmatorganic: 10:53pm On Aug 14, 2015
Thanks to magnam for creating this thread,
Thanks to jethro2, for sharing his experience like Magnam
Thanks to Pappyshoes for also helping out.
Thanks to everyone who asked salient questions,
Thanks to experts who gav dia advise and also thanks to all dos who used dis thread to advertise dia products.
God will reward u better dan dos who use every opportunity to reap people of frm sales of E book.
Practical experience is the best way to learn yo get a lot of #leverage learning how not to reinvent the wheel following timely process that works, saving you from the heart break of going it alone and making costly mistakes

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Bodlade(m): 4:00pm On Aug 17, 2015
Denn, how is your water melon test plot doing please.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Denn(m): 5:50pm On Aug 17, 2015
Bodlade:
Denn, how is your water melon test plot doing please.

Harvested since.....

wink

August rain break....
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Bodlade(m): 12:53pm On Aug 21, 2015
Denn:

Harvested since.....

wink

August rain break....
God bless you my brother. Planning to join your league after August break smiley
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by KingsWillRoyal: 2:29pm On Aug 21, 2015
pls can u give us the cost analysis and expected return of cultivating waterwelon on one acre of land
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 27, 2015
Please, how can I get good seeds in Edo state?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 28, 2015
This is really an educative thread. Please who knows how long water melon can live before getting spoilt or rotten and how can it be preserved. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Sholaystar4me(m): 12:27pm On Aug 28, 2015
so so informative and educative, i love this thread for its practicality... have being a passive reader and an observer for so many months trying to draw up my plans for the commercial farming of W.Ms n T.M.Ts. I have actually gained a whole lot from this thread from the clearing of land aspect across to the fungi infection aspect. am planning a test farm soon probably on some acres and after August cos of d rain. This
Thread coupled with some other links have really forged me into a theoretical professional farmer in W.M farming lol... However it will be of great interest if I could see anybody here that's presently into Large Scale WM farming or perhaps agro business in ILORIN/OSUN. as am planning to see some farmers in my locality before i dabble into it. will fill u all in when about to start.

on my research journey to kenya grin grin, i came across this, I know nothing but pls accept it as my own little way of contributing

http://www.startupbizhub.com/watermelon-growing-tips.htm

Thanks to u all, especially MAGNUM.

Remember,

VICTORY IS FROM GOD ALONE

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Manuge: 3:45pm On Sep 10, 2015
I hav just started d process of planting my water melon on 300 by 300 land space.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.